[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Level of corruption in Nigeria surprised Obasanjo

Level of corruption in Nigeria surprised Obasanjo

Have you been to Nigeria lately? Share any experiences of burgelaries, armed robberies, fraud, etc.

Level of corruption in Nigeria surprised Obasanjo

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 pm

London, June 18. (AP): Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo said in an interview Saturday that he was surprised by the level of corruption with which he has had to grapple since taking office.

``I did not know how deep the corruption, the general decay in the Nigerian economy, the Nigerian social and political life, in our government, I didn't know how deep the decay was,'' Obasanjo told The Associated Press during the interview in London.

``It took me some time to be able to come to grips with the depth of the decay.''

But Obasanjo, who completes his second and last term this year, said he has been able to make inroads and the result has been an improvement in the economy and other areas.

A strong campaign by his supporters to amend the constitution to enable him run for a third term was defeated in parliament last month.

Many had argued that Obasanjo needed more time to complete the reforms, but opponents said it would undermine democracy on a continent where many leaders have established themselves as dictatorial presidents for life.

Obasanjo said in the interview that he never intended to hold office for more than the two terms allowed by the Nigerian constitution.

``When I took this job, I took it on the basis of the constitution,'' he said.

Obasanjo said he wanted to devote himself to farming and to various development projects in Nigeria after his presidency ends.

He also said he would be willing to continue being a regional peacemaker. Obasanjo has led peacemaking efforts in Sudan's Darfur region, Ivory Coast, Togo and elsewhere.

Admin commentary:
This is exactly what Nigeria's problem is. We have the elite ruling Nigeria, who are so far flung from reality of how common people live, that the question of making things better never crossed their mind.

Nigeria needs leaders who are in touch with the masses, and understand what poverty means. As long as our leaders live in a class of their own, we have a long way to go.
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/00 ... 180308.htm
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Crime in Nigeria