- Govt Mulls Privatisation of Lagos-Kano Rail Line [Daily Trust] The Federal Government is to look for private investment in the rail sector beginning with the Lagos-Kano rail line the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, said yesterday.
- Nigeria Heads Toward Recession [VOA] Nigeria's central bank governors are meeting amid a gloomy financial outlook for Africa's largest economy. Numbers released last week show the country's economy contracting. Economists blame a shortage of fuel, persistent power outages and a fall in the production of Nigeria's top moneymaker, oil.
- Does Nigeria's Kaduna State Have More Gold Than South Africa? [Africa Check] The governor of Kaduna state in Nigeria, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, told potential investors that the state has "all the data" to prove that it has more gold than South Africa. Where is it? Africa Check went looking.
- Court Grants Order to Detain Femi Fani-Kayode for Additional 21 Days [This Day] An Ikeja Magistrate Court monday granted the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) an order to further remand former Minister of Aviation and Goodluck Jonathan Campaign Organisation spokesperson for the 2015 presidential, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode, in its custody for 21 days over an alleged N1.5 billion fraud.
- Former Boko Haram Captives Face Stigma, Rejection [Deutsche Welle] There was huge relief after one of the missing Chibok girls was found. She is one of the many captives who have been set free from Boko Haram. But those freed face a tough time of re-integrating back into society.
- Nigeria Ranked 4th in List of Top 30 Most Powerful Militaries in Africa [Leadership] According to an index released by Global Firepower (GFP) measuring a government's military strength, Nigeria has been ranked as the 4th country with the most powerful military in Africa.
- Shi'ite Leader Sues Govt for Prolonged Detention [Premium Times] The Leader the Shi'ite Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, on Monday instituted a suit in the Federal High Court against the federal government and the Nigerian military challenging his detention.
- Top Boko Haram Chief Bomb Maker Shot Dead [Premium Times] The Nigerian Army has just issued the statement below announcing the death of a major bomb maker for the terrorist Boko Haram sect.
- How Authorities Mistreated Guardian of Rescued Chibok Girl [Premium Times] The family of Amina Ali, the first of the Chibok girls to be found, are being kept away from her by the Nigerian military, according to her brother who added that he does not know the whereabouts of his mother, Binta, who was also taken away by the military.
- Rig Accident - Exxonmobil to Claim Damages Against Contractor [This Day] Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited, a subsidiary of the ExxonMobil Corporation is set to seek financial damages against a drilling contractor for Conoil Producing Limited, which allegedly damaged ExxonMobil's pipeline, thus halting significant production of the company's Qua Iboe grade of crude oil, THISDAY has learnt.
- Jonathan Denies Self Exile Bid to Cote d'Ívoire [Vanguard] Former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan insisted, yesterday, that he is not on self-exile in Côte d'Ivoire as alleged, even as friends and family asserted that he had no cause to permanently relocate from the country.
- Senate Urged to Pass Audit Bill [This Day] Members of the Senate have been advised to ensure the passage into law, the Audit Bill 2014.
- Synagogue Trial Starts On Shaky Note [This Day] The trial of the trustees of the Synagogue Church of all Nations (SCOAN) and the two engineers involved in the construction of the collapsed six-storey guest house that left over 116 dead, started on a shaky note monday as a prosecution witness scheduled to testify in the matter was disallowed by the court.
- NEITI Audit Uncovers N2.23 Trillion Lost, Unremitted Revenues By NNPC in 2013 [Premium Times] The long-awaited Nigeria oil and gas as well as the solid minerals sectors 2013 audit reports by the Nigerian Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, NEITI, was officially unveiled in Abuja on Monday.
- I Was Never Served With Court Papers Relating to 'Missing N30 Trillion' - Okonjo-Iweala [Premium Times] The former Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has denied being served with papers on a Freedom of Information Act case supposedly brought against her by the Socio-Economic Rights Agenda on a missing N30 trillion.
- Church Condemns Govt's Alleged Plan to Merge Religious Studies in Schools [Premium Times] The Presbyterian Church of Nigeria on Monday condemned the proposal by the federal government to merge Christian and Islamic studies into a single subject under the country's basic education system.
- Court Overrules Nigerian Govt On Lawyer's Access to Dasuki [Premium Times] An Abuja High Court has overruled the Federal Government in its decision to confine the detained former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, to the premises of the State Security Service to access and brief his lawyer in the ongoing trial of criminal charges on corruption brought against him.
- Obasanjo Wants Law to End Genital Cutting [Premium Times] Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called for a national legislation against female genital mutilation.
- How Ex-Defence Chief, Alex Badeh, Bought Fayose's Land for N650 Million [Premium Times] A witness in the ongoing trial of former Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh, has shed light on how Mr. Badeh bought a land belonging to Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose, for N650 million.
- Court Fixes Zakzaky's N2 Billion Suit for June 14 [Daily Trust] A Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed June 14 for hearing in the suit filed by detained leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky.
- Osinbajo to Represent Buhari At AfDB Meeting [Daily Trust] Vice President Yemi Osinbajo yesterday travelled to Lusaka, Zambia, to represent Nigeria at the 51st annual general meeting of the African Development Bank (AfDB) holding this week.
- Ooni Ties Niger Delta Militancy to Frustration [Daily Trust] The Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has described the current militant activities in the Niger Delta as the product of frustration caused by the pilfering of money meant for development of the area.
- We Will Concentrate On Our Core Mandate Now - DPR [Daily Trust] Minna -The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has said that liberalisation of the downstream oil sector will allow it to execute its core functions like license processing and measurement specification.
- Halt the Tomato Pest Now! [Daily Trust] The onset of the rainy season usually signals a rising cost of tomato in Nigeria as dry season farmers turn their attention to major food crops. This year however, scarcity of tomato has visited our farms, markets and homes with a vengeance. A moth known as Tuta absoluta has ravaged farms in many states, making tomato very scarce and very expensive and out of reach for most homes.
- Plateau PDP Refutes Re-Registration of Members [Daily Trust] Jos -The leadership of the PDP in Plateau State has refuted rumours making the round that it has embarked on re-registration of members in the state.
- Power - Fashola Rues Pipeline Breaks, Says Impact Sweeping [This Day] Abuja -The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola on Monday said repeated sabotage of petroleum pipelines in the south was regrettable. He also said the impact was far-reaching.
- Enugu Hausa Leader Vows to End Herdsmen, Farmers Persistent Conflict [This Day] Enugu -Amidst growing fears about the activities of suspected Fulani herdsmen in Enugu state, the newly elected leader of the Hausa community in the state, Alhaji Idris Ardo, said on Monday that the major thrust of his reign would be to ensure peaceful co-existence between the northerners living in the area and their host communities.
- Pandemonium Erupts in Igando As Female Cop Kills Bus Driver [This Day] Despite the presence of the Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, in Lagos, a female police corporal beat up and killed a commercial bus driver, Muyiwa Ijaduola, at the Igando area of the state on Sunday night.
- NEITI Audit Says NNPC Yet to Remit U.S.$12.9 Billion NLNG Earnings [This Day] Abuja -Details from the 2013 audit and financial report of activities in Nigeria's oil and gas industry done by the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) have disclosed that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has not remitted $12.9 billion it received from the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) to the government.
- PDP Crisis - Police Warn Factional Groups Over Threat to Peace in FCT [This Day] Abuja -The Nigeria Police on Monday said intelligence report indicates that some aggrieved factional leaders and members of the Peoples' Democratic Party (PDP) have perfected plans to engage thugs to disrupt public peace and security in Abuja.
- Official Photos From Uche Ogbodo’ 30th Birthday Party: See Angela Okorie, Halima Abubakar @Tribeca
- In Pictures: Abuja Showbiz Prophet Joshua Iginla Gives Hummer Jeep, Toyota Prado SUV & 30 Cars..
- More Photos Of Mercy Johnson, Yinka Ayefele, Sunny Ade & Bovi At A Party In Lagos On Sunday
- Photos: Check Out Fred Amata, Stephanie Okereke, Monalisa Chinda At Dala Awards 2016 In VI Lagos
- Nollywood Igbo Actress Who Lost Husband A Week To 22nd Wedding Anniversary Mourns
- Photos: Nigerian Pastor Joshua Iginla Gives Nollywood Actors Hummer Jeep, G-Wagon & 30 Cars
- I’m In Love With Pete Edochie – Juliet Ibrahim Confesses
- Kenneth Okonkwo’s Lawsuit Against Buhari Adjourned As Actor Returns To Nigeria From The US
- Confusion As Thugs Attack Saidi Balogun On Odunlade Adekola’s Latest Movie Set [PHOTOS]
- In Pictures: Nollywood Actress Kenny George Visits Ooni Of Ife At Ibadan Hotel
- Why Genevieve Nnaji’s First Movie Was Not Nominated By AMAA 2016 Organisers
- The Richest Actor In Nollywood Kunle Afolayan Says He Has Stopped Working With Nigerian Filmmakers
- I Opened Yul Edochie Acting Academy Because Of My Experience – Pete Edochie’s Son Tells Critics
- Jealous Housewives Arrested For Torturing Husband’s Last Son In Kano
- Photo: Police Arrests 8 Kidnappers Operating In Edo, Ondo,Kogi, Delta & Kaduna States
- Photos: Seventh Day Adventist Girl Kidnapped & Forced To Convert To Islam Freed,Abductor Arrested
- Pastor Reveals Causes Of High Suicide Rate Among Nigerians, Says Satan Behind It
- 2 Nigerians Arrested At Cape Town Intl Airport In South Africa For Cocaine Drug Possession
- Bloodbath As Granite Truck Kills Nurse In Ijebu Ode Ogun State
- Boko Haram Scientist, Bomb Maker Killed By Sect’s Leader Bodyguard While Fleeing Sambisa Forest
- Photos: 2 Catholic Rev. Sisters Kidnapped In Ondo Freed As Kidnappers Flee For Cover
- South African Lady Who Slept With Father Turned Sugar Daddy Commits Suicide
- Fulani Herdsmen Attack Kills 2 In Ekiti: Oke Ako Ikole Ekiti Residents Flee To Kogi State
- Photo: British Police Detective Sacked For Accepting Bribe To Leak Ibori’s Secret File
- Photos: 4 FUTA RCCG Students Killed In Car Accident On Ilesa Akure Rd In Ondo State
- Ghastly Accident Injures 10 On 3rd Mainland Bridge Today As 22-Seater Bus Tumbles
- Citrix places major focus on the digital business at Citrix Synergy 2016 According to Citrix, customers, as well as their digital businesses, will take center stage at the 2016 Citrix Synergy conference – which is being held in Las Vegas, Nevada in the United States of America. According to the company, this year’s event will essentially give attendees the resources and information needed to say “yes” to...
- What consumers need to know before signing up for FTTH Fibre to the Home (FTTH) is a trending buzzword in South Africa at the moment. Affluent suburbs are a hive of activity as trenches are dug and fibre laid, with the goal of delivering high speed connectivity to a person’s doorstep. Driving this trend are the...
- African startup aims to disrupt $45b market research industry Johannesburg based technology startup, delvv.io, has announced a first round of investment led by global business executive and investor, Kevin Gaskell. The former Managing Director of both BMW and Porsche GB has led an investment round of R2 million...
- Chief Marketing Officer: Ally or Rival? The position of the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) has undergone tremendous scrutiny over the past few years. The role in and of itself – is it of value, should it be rebranded, what are its long term prospects and the relationship with the Chief Information...
- DIY or Buy? Weighing up Infrastructure Options for Big Data Choosing how to implement your Big Data capabilities is critical; buying a complete solution could reap rewards. Building your own big data capabilities from scratch does seem tempting to many companies. They see it as a way to tailor the technology to their...
- ITR Technology to host 2016 ManageEngine Active Directory Seminar ManageEngine, the real-time IT management company, has revealed that ITR Technology will be hosting ManageEngine’s Active Directory Seminar and Certified Training-2016 on June 14-15, 2016, at Blue Valley Golf and Country Estate, Midrand Johannesburg....
- Understanding the risk and cost of a DDoS attack Today, more and more companies are outsourcing their online operations, such as websites, e-commerce, e-mail and domain name system (DNS), to focus on core business activities and lower costs. As a result, hosting providers are experiencing double-digit...
- Connecting the always-mobile bank of the future in Africa As a mobile-centric hub, Africa has the capability to approach banking in a whole new manner. In fact, today very few Africans have access to traditional banking accounts. The issue that arises is a lack of infrastructure to support the all-encompassing...
- Making smart tech purchases is key to growing your business In these digitally-centric yet tough economic times, there is a tendency by purchasing managers, to focus on price and budget as the main criteria, above all else when purchasing the tech products that have become essential to doing business. However, to...
- Scammers selling counterfeit tickets to upcoming Olympic Games Kaspersky Lab experts found the first spam emails mentioning the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in early 2015, a year before the event is set to take place. The majority of spam emails are in English, but some are also in Portuguese because of the location...
- Economic downfall: The future of the IT landscape There is very little hesitation in the minds of South Africans that our economy is under huge pressure. You just need to look at the news headlines to see it. With the rand weakening and interest rates on the rise, businesses around the country are being left...
- FinTech must identify the problem if disruption is to be successful Kevin Johnson Head of Innotribe Innovation Programmes at SWIFT, says Innotribe has learned from its work with the FinTech ecosystem. “Always start with clearly identifying what problem you are trying to address. If you don’t, you end up with a solution...
- Cell C and Huawei achieve over 600Mbps speeds In a media statement, Cell C and Huawei revealed that both parties had achieved speeds of over 600Mbps download on an LTE-U test site. Using a pre-commercial device, Cell C used 15MHz of its licensed spectrum in 2100MHz and 2 x 20MHz of spectrum in the 5GHz...
- Africa’s CEOs look to innovation and technology to boost growth Africa remains one of the preferred frontiers for investment opportunities and doing business, according to a report released by PwC Africa. Growth and foreign direct investment has continued in Africa amid the recent global economic uncertainty. This is...
- Mahindra Comviva consolidates all operations under a single brand Mahindra Comviva has revealed the consolidation of its LATAM operations and its recent acquisition ATS Advanced Technology Solutions under a single brand – Mahindra Comviva. The brand will resonate across all its LATAM operations in achieving a common...
- Hello Paisa clinches top spot at Start-up challenge Hello Paisa was named, according to the company, as the number one Fintech Company in Africa in Mauritius during the course of May 2016, at the SWIFT African Regional Conference. The company revealed that it will now form part of a delegation along with two...
- Why Nigerians scramble for police job –FCT police boss FCT Commissioner of Police, Wilson Inalegwu, yesterday disagreed with the argument that unemployment drives teeming youths in the country to join the nation’s police force. While fielding qu...
- $577m foreign airlines fund hangs in Nigeria –IATA It has been revealed that the controversial trapped funds of foreign airlines with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, have risen to $577 million as at March, 2016. This is as 22 countries out...
- How Tompolo defrauded NIMASA of N24bn —EFCC Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, yesterday told a Federal High Court in Lagos how one of the companies belonging to a former Niger Delta militant, Government Ekpemupolo, was o...
- How Badeh acquired N650m plot of land for shopping mall —Witness The fourth prosecution witness in the ongoing trial of former Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Badeh (rtd), before the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, yesterday, gave a vivid accou...
- Buhari assures Nigerians on economic recovery The biting economic situation in Nigeria may soon be a thing of the past, following President Muhammadu Buhari’s assurance that measures are on top gear to put the country’s economy on recov...
- PDP crisis: Group tasks Makarfi’s committee on reconciliation A group under the auspices of Kaduna State PDP Youth Patriotic Front, yesterday declared support for Senator Ahmed Makarfi’s led-Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, caretaker committee, saying th...
- Ekiti enlists local hunters’ support in fight against herdsmen Following last Friday’s invasion of Oke Ako in the Ikole Council area of Ekiti State by suspected herdsmen, Ekiti State Government yesterday, enlisted the support of local hunters to t...
- Jonathan paid Metuh N400m because of APC bashing —Witness Barrister Antony Okeke, fourth defence in the ongoing trial of the embattled national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Olisa Metuh, yesterday told a Federal Hi...
- Sheriff plotting to destabilise PDP —Jalo It was revealed yesterday that the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, caretaker committee put in place at the party’s national convention last Saturday in Port Harcourt may resume work tod...
- Troops arrest 5 cattle rustlers in Plateau Troops of the Nigerian Army in Plateau State otherwise known as Operation Safe Haven, OPSH, yesterday arrested five cattle rustlers who allegedly killed a herdsman while rustling 32 cows and...