- Nigeria court opens inquest into church collapse that killed 115 By Seun Sanni LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria launched a court inquest on Friday into the collapse of a church guesthouse in September that killed at least 115 people including 84 South Africans and sparked a diplomatic spat between the two countries. South African officials accused Nigerian authorities of not doing enough to investigate the Sept. 12 accident at the church compound in Lagos of one of ...
- Nigeria 'ceasefire' with Boko Haram in doubt after fresh unrest A deadly bombing in northern Nigeria and new details about kidnappings at the weekend blamed on Boko Haram cast further doubt Thursday on the government's claim that the Islamists have agreed to a truce. As reports emerged that extremists seized dozens more women and girls from the remote northeast -- leaving a few dollars behind as a so-called 'bride price' -- fresh violence rocked the town of ...
- Nigeria pledges 600 volunteers as Africa steps up Ebola fight By Felix Onuah and Umaru Fofana ABUJA/FREETOWN (Reuters) - Nigeria pledged on Thursday to send a contingent of 600 volunteers to help fight the worst ever outbreak of Ebola on record which has killed nearly 5,000 people in West Africa. With financial pledges flowing in from around the world but trained doctors and nurses scarce in the three worst effected countries -- Liberia, Guinea and Sierra ...
- Nigeria risks new FIFA ban after court voids FA vote Nigeria is at risk of another FIFA ban after a court declared the elections that ushered in Amaju Pinnick as president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) illegal. World football governing body FIFA have warned that should anything hinder the newly-elected NFF executive committee led by Pinnick, the former Delta FA chairman, from operating, they will move for an automatic ban of Nigeria ...
- Gunmen kidnap Nigeria oil minister's sister: police The sister of Nigeria's powerful petroleum minister has been kidnapped in the oil hub of Port Harcourt, police said Friday, in the latest abduction targeting a prominent political family. Osio Agama, whose sister Diezani Alison-Madueke leads Africa's largest oil industry, was seized at gunpoint as she approached her car on Tuesday night, Rivers state police spokesman Ahmad Muhammad said. One of ...
- Chad says Nigeria deal with Boko Haram to free girls still on By Emma Farge and Moumine Ngarmbassa N'DJAMENA (Reuters) - Chad said it believed Nigeria's secret deal with Boko Haram Islamists to free more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls would go ahead despite the breakdown of a truce, and revealed that the key to the agreement was a prisoner swap. The accord mediated by Chad for the release of the girls seized from Chibok in northeast Nigeria in ...
- Nigeria truce is shaky, no news of abducted girls MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Days after Nigeria's military raised hopes with the announcement that Islamic extremists had agreed to a cease-fire, Boko Haram is still fighting and there is no word on the fate of the 219 schoolgirls held hostage for six months.
- Exclusive: Chad says Nigeria deal with Boko Haram to free girls still on By Emma Farge and Moumine Ngarmbassa N'DJAMENA (Reuters) - Chad said it believed Nigeria's secret deal with Boko Haram Islamists to free more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls would go ahead despite the breakdown of a truce, and revealed that the key to the agreement was a prisoner swap. The accord mediated by Chad for the release of the girls seized from Chibok in northeast Nigeria in ...
- Fitch Sees Uneasy Ghana-IMF Union as Nigeria Tackles Oil Drop Nigeria will try to keep the naira stable before an election, using its foreign-currency reserves amid falling oil prices, while Ghana may have to wait for an International Monetary Fund bailout, Fitch Ratings Ltd. said.
- Nigeria Fuels Socio-Economic Development By Modernizing Railway System ABUJA, Nigeria, Oct. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Nigeria has intensified its efforts to drive the country's socio-economic transformation via the revitalization of the nation's railway system. The Nigerian Government recently approved a N1.1billion contract to develop two electric diesel engines. The 10-month commissioned project—awarded to Nigeria's Messrs CNR Darling Locomotives, Rolling Stock ...
- Minimum Wage - Labour Vows to Resist Removal From Exclusive List [This Day]Abuja -Nigeria's labour movement has vowed to resist the decision of the Senate to remove the minimum wage from the Exclusive list to the Concurrent legislative list, saying such move would create more economic hardship for Nigerian workers.
- Rape Survivors Besiege National Assembly [This Day]Abuja -It was a grievous moment for female senators and their counterparts in the House of Representatives on Thursday when traumatised rape victims besieged the National Assembly to narrate their agonising experiences in the hands of rapists.
- Rights Abuse Allegations Against Military 'Exaggerated' - Jonathan [Vanguard]Abuja -President Goodluck Jonathan declared yesterday that the perceived human rights abuses by the military and other security agencies currently battling terrorism and other emergent threats in the country were exaggerated and should be properly investigated.
- Boko Haram Kidnaps More Girls [Deutsche Welle]According to reports from Nigeria, Boko Haram Islamists have kidnapped dozens of women and girls. The events throw further doubt on talks supposed to result in the freedom of 200 other young women taken in April.
- U.S. Charges Nigerian Who Jumped White House Fence for Felony [Leadership]New York -Dominic Adesanya, the 23-year-old Nigerian who was on Wednesday night arrested by the United States Security Service officials for jumping the North Lawn fence of the White House has been charged with two counts of felony assault on a police officer for attacking the K-9 dogs, four counts of resisting and unlawful entry, and one count of making threats.
- Diamond Bank CEO Steps Down [This Day]The Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Diamond Bank Plc, Dr. Alex Otti has resigned from the bank in order to pursue his ambition of becoming the governor of Abia State in next year's election.
- Abuja - Here We Come [Vanguard]ABUJA is threatened by its fame as the place where all the opportunities are, especially for making quick money. Hundreds of thousands of Nigerians have their eyes set on Abuja. They have heard that once there, they can make something for themselves.
- Nigeria's IDPs Stand At 743, 062 in September [This Day]The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has recorded about 743,062 persons as internally displaced by conflicts and natural disasters in various parts of the country, the Director General of the agency, Muhammad Sani Sidi, has said.
- 36 Govs to Fight Autonomy for LGs [Vanguard]ABUJA--IN a rare show of solidarity, the two factions of the Nigeria Governors Forum, NGF, temporarily put aside their year-long differences, yesterday, to fight against the National Assembly proposal granting autonomy to the country's local governments.
- Boko Haram Frees Abducted Women, Girls Rumoured Married Off to Insurgents [Vanguard]Yola--The Boko Haram insurgents, who reportedly abducted about 50 women and girls from two border villages between Adamawa and Borno states have freed the women among their captives.
- New Ekiti Govt House - It Is Insensitivity to Plight of Ekiti People - Govt [Vanguard]Barely five days after the inauguration of the Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Ayodele Fayose, the Special Assistant to the governor on Public Communications and New Media, Mr Lere Olayinka, released photographs of the interior of the new government house built at an estimate of N3.3 billion by the immediate past government of Dr. Kayode Fayemi.
- Power Outages - Help On the Way, FG Tells Nigerians [Vanguard]Lagos--Following the significant decline in power supply witnessed across the country in the last couple of days and the untold hardship it has brought upon Nigerians, the Federal Government, yesterday, said, "Nigerians should take heart, help is on the way."
- I'm Running for 2015 Presidency - Jonathan [Leadership]After months of subjecting Nigerians to speculations over his second term bid, President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday accepted his nomination by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as its sole candidate for the 2015 presidential election.
- Nigerian CEOs of International Companies [Leadership]Among the jet-setting group of the world's top-flight business moguls, Nigeria does have its share of nationals who have spread the tentacles of their business acumen to ensure that their names will go down as CEOs of international companies and business concerns.
- Bauchi Bomb Blast - Death Toll Rises to 17 [Leadership]Death toll in Wednesday night's bomb blasts in Azare town of Bauchi State has now risen to 17 as two more persons have died in the hospital. Initial death toll in the attack was 15, eye witnesses told LEADERSHIP Friday. With this development, 10 persons out of the initial 12 injured are still in the hospital.
- We're Ready to Die to Rescue Our Abducted Girls - Relatives [Leadership]Relatives of the abducted girls from the two communities of Garta and Waga Mangoro of Adamawa State yesterday vowed to rescue their abducted girls even if they will die in the process.
- Private Sector Investments in Sugar Sector Now N50 Billion - FG [Leadership]Nigeria has attracted and commenced the implementation of over N500 billion private sector investments in the sugar sector under the Nigeria Sugar Master Plan (NSMP).
- Shell's Gas Facility to Generate Electricity [Leadership]The managing director of Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) and country chair of Shell Companies in Nigeria, Mutiu Sunmonu, has said that the Otumara Associated Gas Solution Project will generate six megawatts daily.
- Four Months to Presidential Election, Jonathan Heads to Israel for Prayers [Premium Times]President Goodluck Jonathan will on Friday depart Lagos on a brief pilgrimage to Israel, his office said in a statement on Thursday.
- Nigeria 2015 - Finally, Jonathan Announces Plans for Re-Election, Names Declaration Committee [Premium Times]President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will pick his nomination form on or before the expiration of the deadline given to all aspirants, by the People's Democratic Party, PDP.
- Stakeholders Impressed As DNL Unveils 2,700 Tons Made-in Nigeria CPF Modules [Vanguard]WARRI--NIGERIAN Content Development in the oil and gas sector gained a boost, yesterday, with the completion of first ever Nigerian fabricated 2,700 Tons Central Processing Facility (CPF) Modules built by Daewoo Nigeria Limited (DNL).
- 2015 - I Will Run - Jonathan [Vanguard]Abuja--Less than 24 hours after an ultimatum from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP to him and others to purchase nomination forms within seven days, President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday swiftly moved to formalise his re-election process with the constitution of a declaration committee.
- Fayose Blasts Ekiti Speaker, Says He Has No Right to Own Private Business [Premium Times]The governor of Ekiti State, Ayo Fayose, has described as "mischief" the claim by the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Adewale Omirin, that his (Mr. Omirin's) filling station was sealed for political reasons.
- DNA Analysis Starts on Church Collapse Victims [SAPA]Cape Town -DNA samples of the 116 victims of the church building collapse in Nigeria have arrived at a laboratory in South Africa for analysis, Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe announced on Thursday.
- Jonathan Gets Ultimatum to Declare for Presidency [Vanguard]ABUJA--AHEAD of the formal declaration of President Goodluck Jonathan for his re-election bid for the 2015 Presidential election, the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP yesterday gave the President and other aspirants vying for various elective positions, one week ultimatum to purchase their expression of interest and nomination forms, saying the party cannot go for a national convention to ratify someone who has not indicated interest to contest.
- Ceasefire Too Good to Be True? [African Arguments]Last week, a colleague forwarded me an email purportedly written by Abubakar Shekau, the leader of Boko Haram.
- Les Lionnes and Super Falcons to Cross Swords in AWC Final [New Era]Windhoek -Heading towards the home straight of the TN Mobile CAF Women's Championship underway in Namibia's capital, Windhoek, the final will be an-all West African affair with the Super Falcons of Nigeria up against old foes Cameroon at the Sam Nujoma Stadium.
- Jonathan - I Will Seek Re-Election [Daily Trust]President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday told People's Democratic Party leaders at a private meeting that he will seek re-election in 2015--but he stopped short of making an official public announcement on it.
- Super Falcons Move to Final of African Women's Championship [Vanguard]Windhoek -Super Falcons reached the final of the African Women Championship by beating South Africa's Banyana Banyana 2-1 in a hard fought match at the Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek.
- Nigeria in Danger of Another Fifa Ban [Daily Trust]Nigeria is in danger of another FIFA ban after a court ruled yesterday that elections that ushered in Amaju Pinnick as president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) last month were illegal.
- How Governor Amaechi Delayed Best Of Nollywood, BON Awards For 4 Hours
- Nollywood Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Says He’s A SAN
- Bobby Obodo Denies Dating Jackie Appiah “I Was Married & Now Divorced”
- REVEALED: Why Nollywood Actresses Are Sleeping With Producers & How Prostitutes Are Using N. For Cover
- Ini Edo’s Fan About To Get Duped, Fraudsters Requesting Money For Gift Delivery
- Pregnant Nollywood Actress Toyin Aimakhu Stuns In New Photos By IPosh Looks
- Ini Edo Puts Divorce Behind Her “She’s Happier Now” – Nollywood Sources
- Funke Akindele, Desmond Elliot Dazzle In Globacom Photoshoot
- Funsho Adeolu, Bukky Wright, Ufuoma Ejenobor, Saheed Balogun Storm Victoria Island For Antique
- Happy Birthday To Nollywood Actress Hilda Dokubo
- Photos Of Chika Ike In Bikini From Rented N4M Yacht Upset Fans
- Photo: Nigerian Actress Laide Bakare Delivers 2nd Child, A Baby Boy For New Husband In New York
- Clems Onyeka’s Family Visits Juju Priest To Find Killer & Avenge Murder
- Divorce Court Orders Husband To Remarry HIV Positive Wife In Kaduna
- Photos: Kidnappers Wearing Army Uniforms Attempt Kidnap In Agege Lagos, Victim Raises Alarm
- NIS Arrests Citizens Of Ghana, Benin Republic & Togo Without Passports In Lagos Nigeria
- Church Collapse: TB Joshua Avoiding Court Case, Lagos Magistrate Demands Appearance
- Photo: Pastor From Ilorin Arrested For Car Robbery At Ojota Bus Stop Lagos
- Photos: Fire At MMIA Lagos Airport Caused By Power Surge – FAAN
- Prostitute Steals Male Client’s $25K Rolex Watch & Hides It In Her Privates
- Photos: Nigerian American Who Jumped White House Fence, Dominic Adesanya Has Mental Problem
- “We Want Corpses Of South Africans Killed At TB Joshua SCOAN Church” – SA Urges Nigeria
- Fayose Closed Down Ekiti Speaker Omirin’s Gas Station For Not Joining PDP
- Nigerian Senate Approves Jonathan $1Billion Arms Loan To Fight Boko Haram
- Customs Officer Who Beat Daughter, UNIBEN Medical Student To Death Arrested In Lagos
- Boko Haram Kidnaps 40 Girls In Madagali Adamawa, Debunks Ceasefire Agreement
- Umar Accuses State Governors Of Fraudulent Acts • Cautions Banks Against Granting Loans To States FORMER Governor of Kaduna State and civil rights [Friday, 24 October 2014 21:08]
- More PDP Governorship Aspirants Pick Nomination Forms THE race for the governorship positions in the states of the federation under the platform of the [Friday, 24 October 2014 21:06]
- 2015: Jonathan To Formally Declare Re-Election Bid November 11 PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan will on Tuesday, November 11, this year, formally declare his [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:13]
- Ambode Pledges To Make Lagos Clean, Secure And Prosperous A CONTENDER for the Lagos State governorship position in the 2015 elections, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode [Friday, 24 October 2014 21:03]
- Dont Run, Islamic Cleric, Gumi Urges Jonathan PROMINENT Northern Islamic Cleric, Sheik Ahmad Gumi, Friday, warned President Goodluck Jonathan [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:10]
- INEC In Top Gear For The 2015 Elections, Says Jega THE Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Prof. Attahiru Jega (OFR), has said [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:36]
- OPC Dismisses Leaders Over Fraud THE Oodua People’s Congress (OPC) has announced the dismissal of three of its recently dropped [Friday, 24 October 2014 19:37]
- 2015: PDP Cautions Aspirants Against Violence AS the 2015 general elections gather momentum, the National Organising Secretary of the ruling [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:35]
- 2015 Elections Will Be Bloody, Says Ayorinde PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has been warned to be wary of disgruntled elements that might [Friday, 24 October 2014 19:36]
- Fayose Extends Olive Branch To Ekiti Lawmakers EKITI State Governor, Ayo Fayose, Friday called on the Speaker, Ekiti House of Assembly, Dr. Adewale [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:33]
- Cleric Blames Violence On Absence Of Communication A CATHOLIC cleric and President, Signis Nigeria, Rev Fr Walter Ihejirika, has said that the absence [Friday, 24 October 2014 19:34]
- APC Members Join PDP In Abia, Bauchi THOUSANDS of people who identified themselves as members of the Abia state All Progressives [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:32]
- Elechi Denies Imposing Chukwu, Promises Transparent Primaries GOVERNOR Martin Elechi of Ebonyi State has denied imposing Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu on the people of [Friday, 24 October 2014 19:32]
- Akanle Joins Kogi Senatorial Race Another Aspirant Commends Party Over Refusal Of Automatic Ticket A FORMER State Security Service [Friday, 24 October 2014 20:31]
- Online Customer Service Platform Debuts IN recognition of the importance of the feedback process, a new online customer service platform, [Friday, 24 October 2014 19:30]
- AIbom plans N492b budget A TOTAL of N492 billion draft budget for 2015 fiscal year has been proposed and forwarded to Akwa [Friday, 24 October 2014 13:41]
- AFC secures $100 million OPIC, JP Morgan loan THE Africa Finance Corporation (AFC) has secured a $100 million long-term loan facility from the [Friday, 24 October 2014 06:13]
- ICTs instrumental to containing Ebola in Nigeria THE Minister of Communication Technology, Dr. Omobola Johnson has disclosed that a combination of [Thursday, 23 October 2014 18:45]
- FG puts private sector investments in sugar industry at N500 billion .Says imported packaged sugar remains banned NIGERIA has attracted and commenced the implementation [Thursday, 23 October 2014 20:19]
- Our plan is to boost growth profile, by Unity Bank boss GIVING the successful conclusion of Unity Bank rights issues, expectations were high among investors [Thursday, 23 October 2014 18:26]
- Govt says Nigerias transmission network needs N160 billion yearly THE Federal Government has announced a yearly investment of $1 billion (N160 billion) in nationwide [Thursday, 23 October 2014 20:14]
- Court orders BGL to pay First Bank N1.4b JUSTICE Mohammed Idris of the Federal High Court, Lagos has ordered a firm, BGL Plc to pay N1.4 [Thursday, 23 October 2014 16:48]
- Bitflux, 2.3GHz spectrum licence winner targets January service rollout BITFLUX Consortium, the firm that beats Nigeria’s telecommunications giant, Globacom to the 2.3GHz [Thursday, 23 October 2014 20:12]
- Senate urges Discos to justify dividend of privatization THE Senate Committee on Privatization has challenged electricity Distribution Companies (Discos) to [Thursday, 23 October 2014 16:46]
- FG to increase domestic food production by 20m tonnes . As Jonathan honours Rice Millers’ boss, others THE Federal Government has expressed [Thursday, 23 October 2014 20:11]
- Lagos PPAs initiative to encourage openness LAGOS State Public Procurement Agency (PPA) has re-assured the people of the state of its [Thursday, 23 October 2014 16:45]
- Mart Resources raises funding of Shell assets to N37.2 billion MART Resources has arranged to increase its existing secured term loan credit facility with Guaranty [Thursday, 23 October 2014 18:48]
- EFCC tasks stakeholders on budget performance THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has called on stakeholders as well as [Thursday, 23 October 2014 16:42]
- NFF appeals, as Jos court sacks Pinnicks board THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has announced that it would appeal a Jos Federal High Court [Friday, 24 October 2014 13:39]
- NSSF worried by absence of Edo, FCT, others at National School Sports Festival THE Nigeria School Sports Federation (NSSF) yesterday expressed concern over the continuous refusal [Friday, 24 October 2014 13:38]
- Were hopeful of medals in Edinburgh, says Ashiru PRESIDENT of the Nigeria Taekwondo Federation (NTF), George Ashiru, is sure the country will win [Friday, 24 October 2014 13:35]
- Eagles out of FIFAs top 40, as coaches continue search for new players STRUGGLING Nigeria is one of the losers in the current FIFA rankings, dropping five places from 37th [Friday, 24 October 2014 13:33]
- Falcons: Beating Cameroun A Mission Possible AS players and officials of Super Falcons walked into a waiting Marco Polo bus after beating South [Friday, 24 October 2014 17:06]
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri drawn in Group D NIGERIA’S Aruna Quadri has been drawn in Group D of the International Table Tennis Federation’s [Friday, 24 October 2014 13:31]
- El Classico – Another World War! THIS weekend there will be another World War. It will be fought between two of the biggest and most [Friday, 24 October 2014 17:05]
- Cameroun, a big threat, but beatable – Nkwocha, Ordega IF there is one team the Super Falcons will want to avoid at the on-going Namibia 2014 African Women [Thursday, 23 October 2014 20:28]
- Bankers Games: First Bank, Stanbic In Winner Takes All Battle TWO fixtures are scheduled for Match Day 5 and the Group A fixture between First Bank and STANBIC [Friday, 24 October 2014 17:02]
- Danagogo, Pinnick expected in Namibia Friday • Danagogo congratulates Falcons over World Cup ticket IT was excitement in the Super Falcons’ camp [Thursday, 23 October 2014 20:26]
- Nigeria: Mobofree Marketplace set to launch in Lagos MoboFree.com, a leading social marketplace in Nigeria and Africa is set to launch its local presence in Lagos, Nigeria as registered members in Nigeria grow significantly on a daily basis. With over 3 million registered users, including 2.2 million in Nigeria and a strong footprint in Zimbabwe, Uganda and Ghana, MoboFree.com is among the largest ...
- Interview: “Marketers often revert to their comfort zones” – Prof Geoff Bick From 28 to 29 October 2014, marketing executives can take advantage of the Measuring the ROI of corporate online campaigns seminar, organised by IT News Africa and which will be held at The Gordon Institute of Business Science – located in Johannesburg....
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week We are almost at the end of October 2014, and what a month it has been. This week in technology we saw Samsung launch the Galaxy Note 4. The Galaxy Note 4 was unveiled at an exclusive event, which was held in Cape Town – South Africa. Also making the...
- Video Interview: Simple supply chain into complex supply chain – SYSPRO Meryl Malcomess is the Marketing Director at SYSPRO. She has been with SYSPRO for over 18 years and is involved in determining the strategic direction of its marketing activities. By the age of 21 Meryl became both the first female and the youngest Financial...
- Seagate set to invest in Africa Africa as a region has been attracting attention and focus in the IT sector over the past two years due to the vast growth opportunities. Seagate has placed a three year strategy to grow its presence and investments in Africa, with their key focus...
- Uganda: Huawei to offer e-lab to school in Lira Huawei is set to offer an e-lab to the Dr. Obote College School, which is located in the Lira District. According to Huawei Uganda, the e-lab is a reward for the school’s achievement for becoming champions at the recently concluded Science and...
- HCL & De Beers Group ink multi-million dollar IT deal HCL Technologies has inked an IT Infrastructure transformation contract with leading diamond business, the De Beers Group. Leveraging its Enterprise of Future (EoF) offering, HCL is expected to deliver end-to-end IT infrastructure solutions including data...
- Telkom unveils SmartInternet Unlimited in SA Telkom recently launched SmartInternet Unlimited. According to Telkom, the bundle is aimed at business users seeking unlimited mobile data. Telkom also revealed that SmartInternet Unlimited will offer a reliable uncapped data connection over the mobile...
- Video Interview: Top 5 software challenges faced by SA companies – HP As a veteran employee at HP, Lorna Hardie, in an exclusive interview with IT News Africa, details the top 5 software challenges faced by South African companies. At HP, Hardie is responsible for the end to end Management of the the HP Software team and...
- MTN SA introduces iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus to SA MTN today announced it will offer iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the biggest advancements in iPhone history, beginning on Friday, 24 October in MTN Branded stores. iPhone 6 will be available starting at R499 per month and iPhone 6 Plus will be available...
- Google reveals new Inbox app Google has gone ahead and launched a new mobile app called “Inbox.” According to Google, the app is only available via invitation for the meantime. The app has been developed by the Gmail team and is intended to better organise email messages....
- MTN social media strategy wins string of awards MTN was the only telecommunications company to bag a string of New Generation Awards in recognition for the exceptional work performed by its digital and social media team. MTN was awarded gold under the Best Online Newsletter category, silver award for The...
- LG donates 2000 smartphones to fight Ebola in West Africa Samsung Electronics South Africa revealed earlier this week that it will be donating 3000 smartphones, worth about USD 1 million (ZAR10,9 million) to support the ongoing fight against Ebola. LG is now doing the same. LG is expected to donate 2000 smartphones...
- Kenya: Airtel adds tax payments to mobile money service Airtel Kenya has inked a partnership with the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA). The partnership will allow Kenyan citizens the opportunity to pay their taxes through the Airtel Money service. According to Airtel, it will now allow customers across the country to...
- BCX & Telkom still awaiting regulatory approval Business Connexion (BCX) and Telkom are still awaiting regulatory approval, in a number of countries, for Telkom’s takeover of the company. According to a statement made to shareholders, the company revealed that it still needs approvals from the...
- Millicom & Deezer partner for Tigo Music in Africa Telecommunications and media company Millicom has extended its partnership with music streaming service Deezer to five Tigo markets in Africa. With Deezer, Tigo Music will launch in Ghana soon and roll out to Chad, DR Congo, Rwanda and Tanzania in the coming...
- Boko Haram : FG urged to engage OBJ, journalist, others A call has gone to the federal government to engage the services of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Mr. Ahmed Salkida, and other leaders in the North who have shown interest… ...
- Doctors list requirements for new health minister Association of senior doctors in Nigeria, the Medical Consultant Association of Nigeria, MDCAN, has said a new Minister of Health to be chosen by President Goodluck Jonathan must not only… ...
- Lagos 2015: Ambode declares guber ambition Former Accountant General of Lagos State, Mr. Akinwumi Ambode, has formerly declared his intention to contest the Lagos State governorship race under the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC).… ...
- Boko Haram: Court orders secret trial for Senator Ndume Justice Gabriel Kolawole of a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja yesterday barred members of the public from further witnessing the ongoing trial of Senator Mohammed Aliyu Ndume. But the… ...
- Aregbesola inaugurates Oranmiyan New Town in Osogbo Osun State governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has flagged off the construction of Oranmiyan new town in Osogbo, the state capital. The Oranmiyan new town, which covers about 1,200 hectares of… ...
- President urges Falcons to record victory over Cameroon President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated the Falcons of Nigeria on their qualification for today’s final of the 2014 African Women’s Football Championship in Windhoek, Namibia, and next year’s FIFA Women’s… ...
- Don advocates statistical education for Jonathan, 36 governors A statistician at the University of Ibadan, Dr. Olusanya Olubusoye, has advocated statistical education for President Goodluck Jonathan and governors in the 36 states in order to have genuine transformation… ...
- Jonathan, Yayi lay foundation stone for Seme- Krake joint border post President Goodluck Jonathan and his Benin Republic counterpart, Boni Yayi, yesterday performed the groundbreaking ceremony of the Seme-Krake Joint Border Control Post. Speaking on the occasion, Jonathan said the ground… ...
- 2015: Jonathan makes public declaration Nov 11 President Goodluck Jonathan is expected to formally make public his declaration whether or not to contest the 2015 presidential election on November 11. Chairman of the Presidential Declaration Committee, Dr.… ...
- Diamond Bank managing director, Otti, resigns The Group Managing Director of Diamond Bank, Dr. Alex Otti, yesterday resigned his appointment from the bank. However, Mr. Uzoma Dozie, is expected to take over from him subject to… ...
Hurdles Jonathan must cross to win 2015 election – Col. Shuaibu
Retired Colonel Habibu Shuaibu, former military administrator of Plateau and later Niger states, has been… ...Zamfara gov heads APC extraordinary convention committee
The All Progressives Congress (APC) national leadership has inaugurated a Committee to oversee the conduct… ...Ambode declares for Lagos guber
The contest for the governorship seat in Lagos has become more intense as Akinwumi Ambode,… ...Jonathan can’t be foisted on Nigerians – Nahibi, JAM coordinator
Otunba Basirat Nahibi has until recently been an unrepentant opposition member. In fact, in 2011,… ...Zoning is unconstitutional –Delta guber aspirant
Tony Prest is an entrepreneur and a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who `is seeking to be elected as governor of Delta State in 2015. ...Kwara 2015: Saraki dynasty dead, buried –Prof Abdulraheem
Former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ilorin and aspirant for PDP governorship ticket in Kwara State, Professor Shuaibu Oba Abdulraheem has said that it was an illusion for any member of the family of the former Senate Leader in the Second Republic, ...That diatribe on Don Etiebet
Mud-raking is an integral part of political evolution, especially in a democracy. In the course of the struggle for political control, politicians dig deep into the past lives and conduct of opposing contestants to unravel acts that would reduce their electoral value in the eyes of the electorates. We have witnessed this even in the most advance democracies in the world. ...PDP plans to attack us, APC lawmakers allege
Ekiti All Progressives Congress (APC) lawmakers have alleged that members of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have perfected plans to unleash terror on them today. ...Groups endorse Ambode’s governorship ambition
As Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, former Accountant-General of Lagos State, formally declares his governorship aspiration today under the All Progressives Congress (APC), two ethnic groups, the Lagos Coalition of Northern Indigenes and the Niger Delta United Front yesterday threw their weight behind his ambition. ...2015: 174 aspirants jostle for 40 seats in Cross River PDP
The race for 2015 general elections has continued to gather momentum as 174 aspirants have bought intent data forms to contest elections for various elective offices within the ruling Peoples democratic Party (PDP) in Cross River State. ...Nigeria elected member of UN Human Rights Council
Nigeria, has been elected as a member of the Geneva-based United Nations Human Rights Council.… ...Chibok girls to return on Monday
Despite the breach in the cease fire a g r e ement between the dreaded… ...Abia guber: Alex Otti resigns as Diamond Bank GMD/CEO
■ Uzoma Dozie named successor The Group Managing Director/ CEO of Diamond Bank Plc, Dr.… ...Tears, tributes as Remi Oyo is buried in Lagos
Torrents of tears and tributes came from eminent Nigerians, relations and well-wishers as the late… ...Expect more prison riots –Bishop Williams
Bishop Kayode Williams is the Director General, Prison Mission International (PREMI), an organisation that is… ...… Set ex-NBA president, Okey Wali, free
The immediate past President of Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Okey Wali, a Senior Advocate of… ...Boko Haram: Human rights abuse against security exaggerated – Jonathan
President Goodluck Jonathan has described as exaggeration some of the allegations of human rights abuse levelled against security operatives during operations. ...Fulani/farmers clash: FG sets aside N100bn for ranches
The Federal Government has set aside N100 billion to assist states establish mini modern ranches across the country. This is aimed at ending the incessant clashes between farmers and Fulani herdsmen. ...FG moves to give royal fathers constitutional roles
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday, disclosed that the Federal Government was making efforts to give additional responsibilities and defined constitutional roles to traditional rulers in the country. ...Thick smoke causes commotion at Lagos airport Badagry expressway
A thick smoke from an electrical spark in one of the panels on the fifth floor of international wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos yesterday threw the airport into confusion with passengers and other users scampering for safety. ...Techno Oil partners automobile Technicians to re-launch lubricants
Lagos: Techno Oil Ltd has entered into strategic partnership with the Nigerian Automobile Technicians Association… ...Early challenges in business should toughen you – Ehime, MD, Sweet Kiwi Frozen Yogurts
The quest to add value to society was one drive that gingered pretty Ehime Eigbe… ...I can’t forget the day God led me into shoe-making business – Nonso
For Christopher Nonso, a 30-year-old young man, his phobia is spending the most of his… ...BREAKING NEWS! Abia guber: Alex Otti resigns as Diamond Bank GMD/CEO
…As CBN approves Uzoma Dozie appointment as new GMD/CEO The Group Managing Director/CEO of Diamond… ...Power Nigeria exhibition to open Tuesday
Nigeria’s leading power exhibition dedicated to the burgeoning African power industry will open in Lagos next Tuesday. ...Distressed banks: Lawmakers block CBN’s N50bn sinking fund proposal
The House of Representatives yesterday blocked an amendment of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) Act proposal for a yearly payment of N50 billion by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) into the Resolution Cost Fund (sinking fund). ...Foreign banks jostle for $1.5bn Lekki deep seaport
Foreign banks have expressed interest in the $1.5 billion Lekki Deep Seaport as a way of enjoying a slice of the gigantic venture. The multi-million naira seaport project, expected to become operational in 2018, is a Private-Public-Partnership (PPP) deal between the Federal Government ...Calabar, Ilorin, Maiduguri airports record zero passengers in Q1, says NBS
Against the backdrop of the growing interest by state governments to build new airports despite not being economically viable, the National Bureau of Statics (NBS) has revealed that about seven international airports in Nigeria have recorded no passengers at all in the first quarter of 2014 while Lagos and Abuja airports recorded highest. ...Private sector investments in sugar hit N500bn –FG
Nigeria has attracted and commenced the implementation of over N500 billion private sector investments in the sugar sector under the Nigeria Sugar Master Plan (NSMP). ...24m new smart phones to enter Nigeria in 2014
As the fastest growing telecommuncations market in the world, Nigeria is to get 24 million mobile phones by the end of this year. ...YOLANDA GEORGE-DAVID: I had 18 miscarriages
Dr. Yolanda George-David is a psychologist and life coach. She is also a presenter with… ...I speak in tongues before going on stage–KSB
Top gospel artiste and talk show host turned-politician, Kenny St Best shares her over 16… ...Stephanie Okereke’s American connection
If you are friendly with Stephanie Okereke, pop champagne in celebration. She just secured an… ...Marriage not on my mind–Harrisong
From humble beginnings, hip hop R&B singer and MTN Ambassador, Harrisong, is fast becoming one… ...Bukky Wright VS Fathia Balogun: Who’s the better role interpreter?
This week’s edition of Showdown features two celebrated Yoruba movie actresses, Bukky Wright and Fathia… ...Why Ibadan remains my base –Taye Currency, Fuji star
Taiwo Akande Adebisi popularly known as Taye Currency is one of the Fuji music stars… ...Bridal sleeves now trendy
Bolero and sleeveless bridal dresses would soon be a thing of the past in… ...I’m committed to my political ambition –Julius Agwu
Once more, comedy King, Julius Agwu, has declared that his ambition to run for the… ...With love from Botswana: Mpho Laing’s passion for Nigeria
She is beautiful and brainy and guess what, she is passionate about Nigeria. With a… ...Yinka Davies, Timi Dakolo for Love Musical
Timi Dakolo and DJ Xclusive will be on parade on November 2, as they join… ...
- Zinox brings out new smart power solution, targets 1m facilities - Zinox Technologies Group is out with a cost effective power solution targeted at l million homes, offices and critical national, state and individual infrastructure. The company is setting its sights on 1 million facilities in the country in the next 10 years. The solution dubbed ‘iPower Plus’ is immediately available nationwide through Technology Distributions (TD)
- Presco gets shareholders’ approval to raise N3bn rights issue - Presco plc has announced through the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) its plans to raise up to about N3 billion by way of rights issue following approval of its shareholders. The right issue will enable the Nigeria agriculture giant embark on projects that will drive growth and maximise the value of shareholders. Presco made this announcement
- Ogun adopts TRIMS to reduce cost of doing business - Committed to increasing trade competitiveness and reducing cost of doing business among operators of Micro, Small and Medium-scale Enterprises (MSMEs), Ogun State government, through the office of Millenium Development Goals, has signed an agreement with German Agency for International Development (GIZ), which gave birth to Trade Route Incident Mapping System (TRIMS), targeted at removing illegal
- Access Bank wins World Finance most sustainable bank in Nigeria award - Access Bank plc has emerged the winner of the 2014 World Finance, UK Magazine ‘Sustainable Bank in Nigeria Award.’ The award is a testament of its leadership in the sustainability space in Nigeria and Africa. The bank has built a strong reputation for being committed to sustainable banking practices. The bank has been widely praised
- ‘Urban runabout’ Datsun makes comeback - If you were a car buff in the 1960s and 70s, or love that era, you know about Datsun. Does it ever ring a bell? Well, before there was Toyota, there was Datsun. The first cars went on sale in Japan in 1931, a half a decade before Toyota’s. BusinessDay motoring correspondent who had a
- Abbey Building net income surges 166.43% in Q3 - One of Nigeria’s mortgage giants, Abbey Building Society plc, third quarter (Q3) profit surged by 166.43 percent as the bank continues to work towards making Nigerians home owners. The bank that has been giving headroom to low-income earners, through its market driven products, has impressively recorded growth at both the top- and bottom-line level. For
- Infinity Microfinance Bank grows loan portfolio by 28% - Infinity Microfinance Bank Limited, Lagos, has grown its loan portfolio by 28 percent to N391.7 million at the end of the financial year-end December 31, 2013, from a total of N305.5 million in December 31, 2012. The bank’s gross earning recorded 18 percent increase from N221,471,123 for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared with
- Ecobank gets SOS commendation for CSR - Ecobank Nigeria’s continued support to the welfare of less privileged children in the SOS homes across Nigeria has attracted commendation. Erhumwunse Eghosa, national director, SOS Children’s Villages in Nigeria, says Ecobank has consistently demonstrated strong financial support to SOS Villages in the country, thereby making life meaningful for the children. Eghosa enjoins other corporate organisations
- RMRDC partners OPS to host NIRAM Expo 2014 - In a bid to actualise its statutory mandate of promoting resource-based manufacturing in Nigeria, the Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC), in collaboration with the umbrella bodies of Organised Private Sector (OPS), will be organising a Raw Materials Exposition, tagged ‘2nd NIRAM Expo 2014’ at De Blue Roof, LTV Event Centre, from October 28
- Consolidated Hallmark’s net income rises 215.26% in Q1 2014 - In what could be perceived as a spectacular success, Consolidated Hallmark Insurance first quarter (Q1) 2014 net income surged 215.26 percent, a result that means shareholders of the company should await increased returns on their investment. For the first three months through March 2014, the Nigeria insurer’s profit after tax (PAT) increased by 215.26 percent
- Friends reunited as Mourinho, van Gaal clash Jose Mourinho and Louis van Gaal insist their friendship will survive whatever happens when Chelsea look to cement their position on top of the Premier League with a statement victory at Manchester United on Sunday. [October 25, 2014]
- Williams beats Wozniacki to reach WTA Finals title match Two-time defending champion Serena Williams beat Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8/6) to reach the WTA Finals title match in Singapore on Saturday. [October 25, 2014]
- AWC Final:History beckons Falcons Nigeria will attempt to win a record seventh Africa Women’s Championship trophy today when they confront Cameroon in the final at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Windhoek, Namibia. [October 25, 2014]
- Ebola: Enyeama wants CAF to cancel AFCON Super Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama hopes the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations is cancelled to help stop the spread of the deadly Ebola virus. [October 25, 2014]
- Giwa-led NFA board takes charge, nullifies all Pinnick-led board decisions The Chris Giwa-led board of Nigeria Football Association (NFA) has taken charge as ruled by the judiciary, a member of the board, Yahaya Adama, said on Friday in Abuja. [October 24, 2014]
- Suarez will make Clasico debut, Enrique confirms Barcelona boss Luis Enrique has confirmed that Luis Suarez will make his long-awaited debut for the club in Saturday’s first El Clasico of the season away to Real Madrid. [October 24, 2014]
- Jonathan urges Super Falcons to continue African dominance by beating Cameroon President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday urged the Super Falcons “to continue their glorious domination of African women football with another victory’’ by beating Cameroon in Namibia on Saturday. [October 24, 2014]
- Court sacks Pinnick’s NFF Nigeria is in danger of another FIFA ban after a court ruled that elections that ushered in Delta FA chairman Amaju Pinnick as president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) last month were illegal. [October 24, 2014]
- Upgrade your credentials, Oliseh tells African coaches Former Nigeria international Sunday Oliseh has said coaches in Africa must prepare themselves adequately to rub shoulders with top-class coaches across the globe. [October 24, 2014]
- MUSA: We can still qualify Super Eagles two-goal hero in last week’s 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Sudan, Ahmed Musa has retained the belief that the African champions can still qualify for the tournament. [October 24, 2014]
- Eagles can’t beat us in Nigeria – Mashaba Bafana Bafana coach Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba has boasted that the Super Eagles can’t beat them in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Akwa Ibom on November 19. [October 24, 2014]
- Onome Ebi: We will match Cameroon strength for strength Onome Ebi is confident that she and her teammates will match the physical strength of the Indomitable Lioness of Cameroon in the final of the African Women Championship to be decided at the Sam Nujoma Stadium on Saturday. [October 24, 2014]
- CAF at war with UEFA over AFCON An all-out war has broken out between CAF and UEFA as Africa’s football governing body has launched a scathing attack at the European body’s president Michel Platini describing his quest for the postponement of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations as ‘treachery’. [October 23, 2014]
- Nigeria risks new FIFA ban after court voids FA vote Nigeria is at risk of another FIFA ban after a court declared the elections that ushered in Amaju Pinnick as president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) illegal. [October 23, 2014]
- U-23 job very difficult – Siasia Samson Siasia has admitted that managing the under 23 national team will be a difficult task. [October 23, 2014]
- Anxious wait for 2015 AFCON The final decision to host the 30th edition of the Africa Cup of Nations no longer resides in the domain of CAF, Ghana or South Africa, says the Ghanaian media. [October 23, 2014]
- Pinnick’s sacks;: NFA board asks Jos court for stay of execution The Nigeria Football Association (NFA) on Thursday in Abuja said it had filed a stay of execution on the ruling earlier in the day by a Federal High Court in Jos. [October 23, 2014]
- AWC: Danagogo congratulates Falcons over World Cup ticket, charges team to win trophy Sports Minister, Tammy Danagogo, on Thursday in Abuja praised the efforts of the national senior women football team in qualifying for the final of the 2014 African Women Championship (AWC). [October 23, 2014]
- Eagles drop to 42nd in FIFA ranking Nigeria have dropped five places from their previous 37th position, and are now placed 42 on the latest Fifa rankings released on Thursday. [October 23, 2014]
- French police fight Everton fans French police fired tear gas at Everton fans Thursday amid rising tensions ahead of the English side’s Europa League game against Lille, officials said. [October 23, 2014]
- Balotelli and Rodgers under Anfield spotlight Under-pressure Liverpool taskmaster Brendan Rodgers will tackle troubled striker Mario Balotelli over both a half-time shirt-swap and a pedestrian effort as Real Madrid ran rampant at Anfield on Wednesday. [October 23, 2014]
- Manchester United aiming to upset “different biscuit’’ Chelsea Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is targeting victory over Chelsea this weekend but admits taking on the leaders will be “a different biscuit’’. [October 23, 2014]
- NFF invites Amodu, Siasia The Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) has invited the interim coach of the Super Eagles Shuaibu Amodu and head Coach of the National U-23 team, Samson Siasia to appear before its technical committee to defend their programmes for their upcoming assignments. [October 23, 2014]
- Gov’s Cup serves off November 17 With Nigeria certified Ebola free by the World Health Organisation, organisers of the Governor’s Cup have fixed November 17 as the serve off date of this year’;s edition. [October 23, 2014]
- 180 golfers for Southern Sun golf One hundred and eighty golfers will feature in this year’s Southern Sun Ikoyi golf tournament billed to hold November 15 at the Ikoyi Club 1938 golf course. [October 23, 2014]
- Oshoala powers Falcons to World Cup Super Falcons reached the final of the African Women Championship by beating South Africa’s Banyana Banyana 2-1 in a hard fought match at the Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek. [October 23, 2014]
- NPFL: Kano Pillars beat Kaduna United 2-1 - League leaders Kano Pillars Football Club on Wednesday beat visiting Kaduna United FC 2-1 in a week 35 match of the 2013/2014 The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). [October 22, 2014]
- Super Eagles take on North African team to open Akwa Ibom Stadium Nov. 6 The Super Eagles will face a team from North Africa in a friendly game as part of activities to formally open the new Akwa Ibom Stadium in Uyo. [October 22, 2014]
- Keshi: Nigeria not a serious football country Former Super Eagles manager Stephen Keshi has thrown a parting shot at Nigerian football, saying the country should stop seeing itself as a serious football nation because it was still lagging behind in many vital areas needed to attain such levels. [October 22, 2014]
- Super Falcons move to final Super Falcons reached the final of the African Women Championship by beating South Africa’s Banyana Banyana 2-1 in a hard fought match at the Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek. [October 22, 2014]
- Ebola, kidnapping stop Gullit from Eagles job The World Health Organisation, WHO, may have declared Nigeria Ebola-free but former Dutch super star Ruud Gullit is alleged to have rejected a chance to coach Nigeria because of the Ebola epidemic e and fears he could be kidnapped in the country. [October 22, 2014]
- Serena slumps to biggest defeat in 16 years Serena Williams won just two games Wednesday as she crashed to her heaviest defeat in 16 years and raised concerns over a knee injury that could dash her hopes at the WTA Finals. [October 22, 2014]