- Is Shekau Dead or Just Wounded? [Guardian] After being reportedly killed on a few occasions with him 'resurrecting' thereafter, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau was, according to the Nigerian Army, 'fatally wounded' on Friday, barely a week after the release of a new video of the Chibok Girls.
- Most Niger Delta Projects Have No Impact On People - Ministry [Premium Times] A ministerial technical audit committee on the contracts awarded by the Ministry of Niger Delta between 2009 and 2015 has said most of the contracts awarded by the ministry in the oil-rich region had no impact on the people.
- Economy: Buhari Not Seeking Emergency Powers - Presidency [Daily Trust] Abuja -The Presidency has denied media reports that President Muhammadu Buhari is seeking emergency powers to tackle the nation's economic challenges.
- Military Says Boko Haram Leader, Shekau, Wounded [Premium Times] The Nigerian Army on Tuesday announced the death of three key commanders of the extremist Boko Haram sect.
- U.S. Secretary of State, Kerry, Meets President Buhari in Abuja [Premium Times] The United States Secretary of State, John Kerry, has arrived Abuja for a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.
- Boko Haram Leadership Struggle Heralds a New Style of Violence [ISS] The so-called West Africa Province of the Islamic State, more commonly known as Boko Haram, has recently generated headlines once again after Abu Musab al-Barnawi was appointed as new leader of the group, replacing long-time head Abubakar Shekau. The decision seems to have sparked a power struggle between Islamic State-backed al-Barnawi and Shekau, bringing to the fore deep fissures within the movement.
- Police to Use Lie Detector On Candidates [Vanguard] The Nigeria Police has said that it will subject candidate the ongoing recruitment exercise to polygraph test (lie detector Test)
- Buhari Does Not Require the Approval of National Assembly for Emergency Procurements [Daily Trust] If reports currently in the media are to be believed, the Presidency is set to approach the crisis ridden National Assembly (NASS) for emergency powers to reflate our badly battered economy that is desperately in need of oxygen for survival.
- Reporters Restricted From Covering U.S. State Secretary's Visit [This Day] Abuja -Ahead of the visit by the United States of America's Secretary of State, Mr John Kerry, the Presidency has said that reporters would not be allowed to cover it.
- APC, PDP Trade Blames Over Nigeria's Economic Crisis [Premium Times] In a desperate bid to convince Nigerians on who is better suited to run the country, the ruling All Progressives Congress and the Peoples Democratic Party clashed on Monday over the lingering economic crisis in the country.
- They're Defeating Boko Haram but Are They Nigeria's Next Security Threat? [IRIN] Maiduguri -Boko Haram is on the run, and much of the credit must go to vigilantes in northeastern Nigeria who have risen up to protect their local communities from the jihadists. But there is a growing concern that they represent a whole new security threat.
- Dozens Feared Dead As Kano Varsity Building Collapses [Vanguard] No fewer than 20 people were feared dead when TETFUND sponsored two storey building under construction collapsed at Kano University of Technology .
- Buhari Seeks Broader Powers to Contain Worsening Economic Crisis [Premium Times] Citing cumbersome constitutional hurdles amidst a biting economic crisis, President Muhammadu Buhari has concluded plans to pursue sweeping emergency powers to halt Nigeria's slide towards economic collapse, PREMIUM TIMES learnt Monday.
- State Security 'Arrests' Notorious Boko Haram Terrorists [Premium Times] The alleged mastermind of the 2013 terror attacks on a secondary school in Yobe State has been captured, the State Security Service said on Monday.
- Nigerian Arraigned for Naming Dog Buhari, Granted Bail [Premium Times] Joachim Iroko, the man who named his dog 'Buhari', was on Monday arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Ota, Ogun State.
- We Regret Voting for Buhari in 2015, Chibok Community Says [Premium Times] People from Chibok community resident in Abuja and members of the #BringBackOurGirls (BBOG), movement on Monday said they regretted voting for President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2015 presidential election.
- Boko Haram Strikes Again [Premium Times] A Boko Haram attack on Kuburvwa village of Borno State has left at least 11 people dead.
- Former PDP Governor Says Party Is 'Evil' [Premium Times] Former governor of Edo, Oserheimen Osunbor, said he was declared disloyal by Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) because he refused to share the state's resources to party leaders.
- How I Beat Others, Bagged Six Awards in U.S. War College - Nigerian Army Colonel, Nengite [Premium Times] Recently, Charles Nengite, a colonel in the Nigerian Army, bagged six awards and emerged second best speaker for 2016 Strategic Officers' Course at the United States War College. He shares his experience during the programme with PREMIUM TIMES' Aminu Adamu, in this interview.
- Group Urges Boko Haram to Embrace Peace [Daily Trust] Lafia -A group by the name; Arewa Ambassadors Congress of Nigeria (AACN), has called on members of the dreaded Boka Haram group to halt its unending violence in the northeastern part of the country and embrace peace.
- Kerry Visits Sultan, Says World Losing $2.6trn Annually to Corruption [Premium Times] The U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, on Monday said the world lost 2.6 trillion dollars to corruption annually.
- The Death of Citizen Nunugwo [This Day] The death of Desmond Nunugwo should be investigated
- Supreme Court's Landmark Judgment On Inheritance [Daily Trust] The Supreme Court recently delivered a landmark judgment that will alter the domination, subjugation, discrimination and humiliation suffered by women in Igboland from time immemorial. In the judgment, the apex court voided the Igbo law and custom, which forbids daughters from inheriting their late fathers' estate. The Court declared that the tradition is discriminatory and conflicts with the provisions of the Nigerian Constitution.
- Drug Allegation Hits Alaba International Market [Vanguard] Allegation that a leader was convicted for hard drug is rocking the popular Alaba International Market, Ojo, Lagos. The allegation was made after the leader of a section of the market allegedly hired thugs and invaded the market, unleashing terror on traders. Timely intervention of the police from Festac Area Command averted what could have turned out into a bloody clash.
- NFF Congratulates U-23, Clears Air On Japanese Man's Money [Vanguard] The Nigeria Football Federation has congratulated the U23 national Team for winning bronze at this year's Men's Olympic Football Tournament in Brazil, after edging Honduras 3-2 in Belo Horizonte yesterday.
- Military - Boko Haram Leader Fatally Wounded [Deutsche Welle] Abubakar Shekau has been fatally wounded in an air strike, the Nigerian military says. This isn't the first time the country has declared Shekau dead.
- Boko Haram - 'Senior Fighters Killed' in Nigeria Raid [Al Jazeera] The leader of the Boko Haram group is believed to be fatally wounded in an air strike carried out by the Nigerian military in the country's northeast, according to a news-media report citing senior official sources.
- U-17 Afcon - NFF Protests Eaglets' Ouster [Vanguard] Following alleged under-hand tactics by Niger Republic football officials in the U-17 African Cup of Nations qualifier in Niamey, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) will officially protest to the continental soccer ruling body CAF.
- Borno Workers Protest Against Police Killings in Nasarawa [Premium Times] Workers in Borno State under the aegis of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), on Tuesday staged a peaceful rally over the recent killing of two of their colleagues by the police during a similar protest session in Nasarawa State.
- How JAMB Under My Leadership Will Conduct Students' Admissions - Oloyede [Premium Times] The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Ishaq Oloyede, has assured that the 2016 admissions into the country's tertiary institutions will be smooth.
- Nollywood Funny Man Sanyeri Buys New Car For Wife [PHOTO]
- Bukky Wright’s Son Ojay Wears Nose Ring, Mother’s Fans Say He Lacks Home Training
- Photos: Ooni Of Ife & Others @ Bukky Wright’s Movie “Iwure Olofin” Premiere In Onikan Lagos
- I’m Married But Living Single – Yomi Fabiyi Denies Romance With Toyin Aimakhu
- In Pictures: Nollywood Stars Storm Monalisa Chinda’s Burlesque Themed Bridal Shower In Lekki
- In Pictures: Bimbo Akintola Joins Patience Ozokwor & Others In Enugu For Professor JohnBull Movie
- Watch Sola Sobowale, Saka, RMD & Ireti Doyle In Action In The Wedding Party Nigerian Movie
- REVEALED: How Jide Kosoko’s Children Chased Late Henrietta Out Of Her Husband’s Home
- Nollywood Location Photos: Joseph Benjamin, Rykardo Agbor, Yomi Fabiyi On Shelve Movie Set
- True Confession By Anita Joseph: I Once Begged For Money To Pay For Food
- Virgin Nollywood Actor King Joe Says 2 Actresses Try To Rape Him At Hotel In Ikeja Lagos
- Ejike Asiegbu Urged Buhari To Invest In Nollywood, Says It Can Make More Money For Nigeria Than Oil
- Photos: Ini Edo, Mama G, Ebube Nwagbo,Tracy & Treasure Daniels In Maryland For Ladies First Movie
- Nigerian Hajj Pilgrim Who Fell & Injures Self At Prophet’ Mosque In Medina Saudi Arabia Duped
- Redeem, RCCG Pastor Luka Ubangari Murdered By Fulani Men In Kaduna After Evangelism
- Photos: Eiye Cult Member Stoned To Death In Benin Edo State, Another Shot In The Stomach
- Fraudsters Using Ejike Mbaka Name On Whatsapp To Request Donation For Orphanage
- Hausa Muslim Youths Kill Family Of Yoruba Man Who Saved Christian Student In Zamfara, Friend Speaks
- Fake Policeman Armed With Dagger Arrested In Agege Lagos After Snatching Motorcycle
- Photos: Taxi Driver Who Ran Over LASTMA Officer In Ketu Lagos Remanded In Prison
- Enugu Fake Miracle Gang Members Narrate How They Stage Miracles For Pastors During Crusades
- Muslim Youths Kill 8 After Fellow Muslim Rescued Christian Student Accused Of Blasphemy In Zamfara
- Armed Robber Who Specializes In Robbing Ladies With Toy Gun In Lekki Lagos Arrested
- Photo: Pastor Who Chained Son & 27 ‘Mad People’ At Oke Ira Ojodu Lagos Arrested
- How Innocent Nigerians In Indonesia Are Being Set Up For Drug Trafficking & Executed Without Mercy
- Photos: C&S Pastor And Church Member Arrested For Robbery In Ogun State
- FNB launches own brand of smartphones in South Africa FNB has launched its own brand of smartphones in South Africa which, according to the company, is expected to redefine mobile banking and customer mobility. “For FNB, mobile banking is more than just having the best banking app,” says Jan Kleynhans, CEO of the FNB Consumer Segment. “For us, true mobile banking is enabling customers [&hellip...
- Top 5 tips to design the ultimate African digital banking experience As mobile internet connectivity grows, African youth are fast embracing the opportunity to connect, converse and transact on the web. According to the GSMA (Mobile Economy Report 2015), mobile internet penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa was expected to reach...
- Ghana: Chalkboard Education named best startup at Seedstars Accra Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes brought its Ghana round to a successful close during Seedstars Accra. The event took place this Sunday in Impact Hub Accra , where 9 selected...
- Apps are essential for true digital transformation An organisation’s applications are the glue that makes digital transformation possible. Without an optimised, next-generation application landscape, firms will find it very difficult to compete in modern digital ecosystems, or capitalise on the advantages...
- Facebook celebrates Africa’s young creatives According to social media network Facebook, it celebrated the creativity and excellence of young African creatives at The Loerie Awards for 2016. In addition to sponsoring The Loerie Student Awards for 2016, Facebook hosted a range of events aimed at young...
- 2016 Healthcare Innovation Summit: Last Chance to Register IT leaders and healthcare executives have only today and tomorrow left to register for the upcoming 2016 Healthcare Innovation Summit, which is set to take place on 24 & 25 August at the Radisson Blu Gautrain in Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa...
- Nigeria: Inactive telephone lines on the rise in 2016 According to a report, via TelecomPaper, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has revealed that inactive lines in the country’s telecommunications industry have increased from 65.19 million in May 2016 to 67.33 million in June 2016. According to...
- South Africa: Telkom strike and sabotage update According to South Africa telecommunications giant Telkom, by 19 August 2016 approximately 13 200 Telkom customers had been hit by outages caused by sabotage. This happened as the Communication Workers Union strike against Telkom moved into its fourth week....
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week IT leaders and healthcare executives have 4 days left to register for the upcoming 2016 Healthcare Innovation Summit, which is set to take place on 24 & 25 August at the Radisson Blu Gautrain in Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa – under the...
- Corporate cyberattacks will continue to rise Cyberattacks targeted at the corporate world continue to be on the increase. Terms like cyber espionage and corporate hacktivists are being thrown around over many boardroom tables these days, with decision makers expressing massive concern. The reality is...
- Politics and sport became hot topics of Spam Mail in Q2 In the second quarter of 2016 the average level of spam emails in overall email traffic equaled 57.3%, according to the quarterly report on Spam and Phishing by Kaspersky Lab. This is a four percentage points increase compared to Q2 2015, and one percentage...
- South Africa: UWC of offer Data Analytics Postgrad Diploma course Globally, businesses are wrestling with challenges and opportunities that call for the application of analytics – but African businesses identify the lack of talent as one of the primary factors for not being able to pursue this avenue. That’s why the...
- Greater need for investment in Africa as interest in the continent grows The desire to invest in Africa continues to grow amongst leading investors – in 2015 two well-known private equity fund’s each raised over $1billion to invest in the continent. After regularly being overlooked, figures such as Sindiso Ngwenya, the...
- Big Data is watching you – It’s time to embrace the benefits Consumers are getting wise to brand activities – but it’s not as simple as they may assume. After several unsolicited calls in the course of a couple of days, people start to wonder which of the brands they have dealt with has sold their details on as a...
- Seacom to connect UbuntuNet in East Africa UbuntuNet Alliance has awarded a 15-year contract to SEACOM to provide point to point connectivity services to National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) of Eastern and Southern Africa through the European Union co-funded AfricaConnect2 project. This...
- Telkom offers R500 000 reward for information as business sabotage spikes A number of Telkom facilities around South Africa have, according to the telecom giant, been targeted in a series of acts of sabotage. Telkom revealed that facilities in Midrand, Pretoria West, Silverton, Durban, Pinetown, Pietermaritzburg, Makhado and...