- U.S. House of Representatives Passes Legislation on Boko Haram [U.S. Congress] Washington DC -A statement from Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson of Florida:
- Buhari Orders Probe into Kano Youth Corp Member's Death [This Day] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered an independent investigation into the death of Miss Ifedolapo Oladepo in Kano State while on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme.
- Discrimination Rife Among Buhari's Security Detail - Reform Body [Premium Times] The Network on Police Reform in Nigeria has written to the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno, alleging discrimination against different sections of the presidential security guard.
- 'Detention of Shiite Leader a 'Hardening of Dictatorship Behaviour' [Premium Times] A human rights advocacy group, Access to Justice, has demanded the immediate release of Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, who has been in detention since December 2015.
- Nigerians Attack Soyinka for Controversial Comments [Premium Times] A former presidential aide, Reno Omokri, and other Nigerians have criticised Wole Soyinka, a day after the Nobel laureate disparaged some Nigerians on social media as meddlesome "slugs" and "millipedes."
- Okonjo-Iweala Distances Self From 2019 Presidential Campaign Posters [Premium Times] A former Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has reacted to reports linking her with the 2019 presidential election.
- Journalist Detained for Writing 'Offensive' Story on State Security [Premium Times] The Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, Kogi council, has dragged the State Security Service, SSS, to a Federal High Court, Lokoja, over 'unlawful' arrest and continued detention of its member, Friday Ogungbemi.
- Funds Missing at Presidential Committee Tasked with North-East Rebuild [Premium Times] The Presidential Initiative for the North East, PINE, stinks of corruption and poor accountability standards thus hindering efforts at addressing the humanitarian crisis and rebuilding infrastructure in the region, lawmakers have said.
- Petroleum Body Welcomes Unbundling Proposed in Governance Bill [This Day] Abuja -The Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) wednesday gave the thumbs up to the Petroleum Industry Governance Bill (PIGB) being legislated upon by the National Assembly, which splits the state-run corporation into three different entities.
- Govt - Recession Stalls Payment of Falcons' Allowances [Daily Trust] The Federal Government yesterday blamed the biting recession for the delay in the payment of the allowances of the victorious Super Falcons.
- More Emerge On Dangote Plant Woes [Daily News] New revelations have emerged over the reason behind Dangote Cement Factory's production suspension, with the investor's Country Representative, Ms Esther Baruti, citing sabotage by some politicians and businesspeople. Ms Baruti's latest remarks have sharply contrasted the widely circulated reports that the factory ceased the cement production due to high costs.
- Rivers Rerun - PDP, APC At Each Others' Throats [Vanguard] Abuja -Ahead of Saturday's parliamentary rerun elections in Rivers State, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and the All Progressives Congress, APC, were, yesterday, locked in a war of words over alleged plans to unleash violence.
- Popstar, Wizkid Nominated for Grammy Award [Daily Trust] Pop superstar, Wizkid has been nominated for a Grammy award for his contribution to Drake`s 2016 'View' and lead single 'One dance'.
- Arrests Follow Allegations of Rape in Displacement Camps [Vanguard] Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, said, yesterday, that following the investigation ordered by President Muhammadu Buhari into alleged human rights abuses against internally displaced persons, IDPs, in the North-East, two Army officers and an Air Force officer have been indicted.
- Borno Elders to Buhari - Don't Make IMN New Boko Haram [Daily Trust] Maiduguri -Kaduna State Government's recent branding of the Shi'ite group, Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) as insurgents is similar to what happened in Borno State back in 2009, leading to the rise of Boko Haram and President Muhammadu Buhari should move quickly to avert a similar occurrence, the Borno Elders Forum said in Maiduguri yesterday.
- Mounting Criticism Worries National Assembly Members [Daily Trust] Members of the National Assembly have expressed concern over the mounting criticism being experienced from their constituents over their performance and contributions to national development.
- Elechi Amadi Goes Home in a Blaze of Glory [Guardian] Port Harcourt -Polytechnic named after him
- Kano Corps Member Died of Kidney Infection - Report [Daily Trust] A report by the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has revealed that kidney infection probably due to untreated urinary tract infection (UTI) caused the death of Late Oladepo Ifedolapo Rachael, a corps member of the 2016 Batch 'B' who died in Kano on the 29th November.
- Charges to Agencies - Govt Gives Airlines Deadline to Automate Payments [Vanguard] The Federal Government yesterday gave all domestic and international airlines operating in Nigeria January, 2017 deadline to automate their payment of charges to aviation agencies.
- Nigeria Grapples With Starvation Amid Boko Haram Battle [Al Jazeera] The United Nations has warned that northern Nigeria faces the "largest crisis in Africa" as the government's war with Boko Haram has become increasingly bogged down In northern Borno state, the epicentre of a conflict that has spread to three neighbouring countries - Chad, Cameroon and Niger - Nigeria's army has unleashed a barrage of air and land assaults.
- MTN Urges Senate to Approve NCC's Data Price Floor [Vanguard] The Chief Executive Officer of MTN Nigeria, Mr Ferdinand Moolman yesterday appealed to the senate to consider the Data price floor as set by the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, saying that data price is among the lowest in the continent.
- Ahmed Musa Suffers Heavy Defeat With Leicester [Premium Times] Ahmed Musa and his Leicester City teammates were dismantled in their final group game of the Champions League against Porto at the Dragao Stadium on Tuesday evening.
- House Invites Abdulmumin to Respond to Petitions [This Day] Abuja -The House of Representatives has resolved to allow the former Chairman of the Committee on Appropriation, Hon. Abdulmumin Jibrin, to enter its precincts for the purpose of appearing before the Committee on Ethics and Privileges which is in the process of investigating two petitions against him.
- Nigeria's Leather Institute Shut As Lecturers Protest [Premium Times] The lecturers at the Nigerian Institute of Leather Science Technology, NILEST, on Wednesday embarked on strike to demand full implementation of polytechnics scheme and condition of service as approved by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Toke, Tiwa and Nigeria's Shaming Culture [Guardian] Unless you've been living under a rock or impressively stealth at avoiding all types of social media this lately, you'll know that Toke Makinwa released her memoir "On Becoming."
- Tension Mounts Over Rivers Rerun Elections [Guardian] Disturbed by the mounting tension ahead of Saturday's rerun election in Rivers State, the Federal Government has warned against the killing of innocent citizens, especially members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
- Super Falcons Refuse to Vacate Hotel in Abuja, Reject NFF's Promises [Guardian] -Reject $100 a player travelling allowance
- Corruption War in Danger As Senate Tweaks Law for Immunity [Guardian] Abuja -Nigeria's 1200 legislators may escape criminal, civil prosecution for four years
- Textile Manufacturers Seek Revival of Commodity Boards [Guardian] Despite various intervention programmes initiated by the Federal Government to revive the textile industry, operators in the sector have sought the revival of commodity boards to improve access to raw materials needed by textile manufacturers.
- It's Risky to Talk About Nigeria Now, Says Jonathan [Guardian] Warri -Gbaramatu people urge Okowa to end military invasion
- Tonto Dikeh Turns Born Again Christian: I Have Given My Life To Christ, I’m Not Ashamed….
- Kenneth Okonkwo & Wife Share Testimony At Shiloh 2016 For Conception Miracle
- Iyabo Ojo Confirms Plan To Get Married Soon, Showers Praises On Boyfriend
- Photo: Funke Akindele Bello Flaunts Pregnancy Baby Bump In Stylish Maternity Gown
- Photos: A Look Inside Mercy Johnson Okojie’s Brand New Lexus Jeep
- Nollywood Stars Set For Calabar Carnival & Cross River Movie Awards
- Photos: Tonto Dikeh Joins Husband’s NGO, The Big Church Foundation’s Walk For Love In Abuja
- Monalisa Chinda Looks Stunning In New Makeover By Buchi Sez-Elabor
- Liz Da Silva Changes Ankara Day To AfriKulture, Gears Up For December 27
- Emeka Ike Insults The Igbo People, Attacks 60-Year-Old Actor – AGN Alleges
- Pasuma To Light Up Ikeja As Murphy Afolabi Premieres Movie, Graduates Film School Students
- In Pictures: Nigerian Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Wins Best Actor Award In Ghana
- Nollywood Actor Lolade Mustapha Breaks Up With Baby Mama Dewunmi Fatai Days To Wedding
- Panic As Armed Robbers Send Letter To Estate Residents In Yaba Lagos
- Photos: Headless Corpse Of Woman Beheaded By Ritualists Found In Enugu
- Photos: 3 Bolivians Caught Producing Meth Drug In Lagos Jailed For 6 Years
- Photos: Man Supplying AK47 Rifles To Fulani Herdsmen Arrested In Enugu
- Photos: Buhari Adviser, UniJos Law Professor Caught Cheating During Exam Suspended
- Yewande Fatoki’s Landlord Testifies In Court, Says She Stabbed Husband Lowo Oyediran
- Ijaw Militants Return To Isheri Osun Lagos, Kidnap 2 Landlords & A Woman
- Radio Benue Reporter Jill Iyuadoo Tor Agbidye Freed By Kidnappers
- Saudi Arabia Sentenced 13 Shia Muslims, 1 Iranian & Afghan Spies To Death For Spying For Iran
- Photos: 3 Fulani Herdsmen, Kidnappers Arrested For Killing Dangote’s Kidnap Victims Negotiator
- Nigerian Convicted Of Drug Trafficking In Cambodia Gets 27 Years Imprisonment
- 244 Dangote Drivers & Workers Arrested For Stealing Trucks & Diverting Goods
- Nigerian Prophet Apostle Johnson Suleiman Says MMM Is Satanic & Demonic, Warns People Against It
- Signal Alliance wins Cisco international award Nigeria was recently celebrated and honoured in Seychelles following the Cisco global Winner Circle Corner Award 2016 given to Signal Alliance. The award recognizes a group of top performers who through their commercial activities in the 2016 financial year have become part of Cisco’s elite partner sales team. Speaking on the award, Adanma Onuegbu, CEO...
- South African Hyperli launches new online deal marketplace Fast on the heels of Groupon’s exit from the South African market, newly formed Hyperli is set to take the online daily deal marketplace by storm. Hyperli has honed its offering and has launched a newly curated online marketplace focused on delivering...
- FNB launches Smart Device festive season deals FNB has unveiled five exciting promotional deals aimed at keeping customers and their loved ones connected at all times, no matter where they find themselves in South Africa during the busy festive season. New and existing FNB customers will now be able to...
- ZAOU partners eLearnAfrica to extend learning throughout Africa The Zambian Open University (ZAOU) announced its courses and degree programs will be available on eLearnAfrica, further extending the university’s reach into the country and across the continent. eLearnAfrica.com is a newly launched mobile application and...
- StitcherAds expands to Sub-Saharan Africa region With mobile penetration very high in African countries Facebook is expected to become much more relevant for direct response advertising given its unique cross device strengths. A global Facebook and Instagram Marketing Partner, StitcherAds has seen growth in...
- Onyx to build Africa’s first smartphone plant According to a report by TimesLive, South African start-up, Onyx Connect is set to become the first to manufacture smartphones in Africa. Onyx is licensed to load Google software like Android and Chrome onto devices sold under the company’s own brand or...
- FNB Banking App wins global technology award FNB was recognised for having the ‘Best Mobile System/Service Initiative’ for its innovative FNB Banking App during the Annual Banking Technology Awards 2016 held in London last week. The FNB Banking App demonstrated excellence and the best innovative...
- ShowMax is now available on Android TV With the release of a new version of its Android app, ShowMax has increased the base of supported devices to include media players and smart TVs running Android TV. ShowMax is now available on an even wider range of smart TVs as well as smartphones, tablets,...
- Keep track of your spending and save this festive season It’s that time of the year again. Whether you are buying gifts for loved ones, travelling, or just treating yourself to something special, make sure you don’t find yourself feeling the blues in January. ALCATEL recommends the following Android apps to...
- CashBag desktop app promises a rewarding shopping experience With more than 56% of web users having shopped online *The South African eCommerce market is poised for explosive growth as consumers’ flock to discover deals online. With this in mind the founders of Cashbag.co.za, an eCommerce disruptor, has launched a...
- Ghana: MTN partners DataMi, Viotech for sponsored data service MTN Ghana has announced it will be launching the first sponsored data service in Ghana in partnership with Datami and Viotech. The sponsored data services will allow customers to use data services at the expense of a third party company. The service will...
- iWayAfrica introduces Jola, a retail satellite service iWayAfrica has launched Jola, a Pan-African Ku-Band managed retail satellite service into Sub-Saharan Africa. Meaning ‘one who brings happiness’, Jola provides affordable satellite internet to Sub-Saharan Africa including those areas with limited...
- WORLD AIDS DAY celebrated on social media across Africa Today we celebrate World Aids day, a day dedicated to the awareness of Aids across the world since 1988. According to the WHO more than 14 million people worldwide, about 40%, of people living with the HIV virus that causes AIDS, are unawere of their status....
- Discover Digital rolls out African VOD infrastructure Discover Digital, is building in-market caching, storage and video on demand (VOD) server technology in its new markets across Africa, paving the way for a world class streamed video experience for viewers across the continent. “Discover Digital’s...
- DFS Lab announces $400,000 funding to four FinTech start ups FinTech incubator, Digital Financial Services Lab (DFS Lab), announces the winners of its first bootcamp for entrepreneurs and start-ups. Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, this global initiative brought together 20 of the most promising...
- Travelers are ‘easy targets’ for online financial crime when abroad As holiday season begins, many are looking forward to spending some much needed time away from home. Others will be on vacations abroad and spending money is inevitable. Travelers need to be wary of online financial operations. According to research from...