- Life With Nigeria's Party People - New York Times (blog)
New York Times (blog)
Life With Nigeria's Party PeopleNew York Times (blog)“The parties are a reflection of young people today — there's money coming into more people's hands,” said Mr. Esiebo, who grew up in working-class neighborhoods between Lagos and Ibadan, Nigeria. “The parties are diverse and have different statuses ...
- MTN Nigeria wins 2.6 GHz auction, assures on broadband infrastructure - Vanguard
- $1.5M Dubai Investment: Clearing The Fraud In PR-Nigeria's "Clearing" Of CoAS Buratai By Peregrino Brimah - SaharaReporters.com
- Investors might be excited by Nigeria's new free floating currency but the president isn't - Quartz
- Fayose And Nigeria's Immunity Scandal By Okey Ndibe - SaharaReporters.com
- Ekweremadu writes UN, US Congress, UK, EU, others; says Nigeria's democracy in grave danger - Vanguard
- The Nigeria Power Situation: Hindsight, Insight and Foresight - Huffington Post
- Nigeria Court Accuses Ex-President's Campaigners of Embezzlement - Bloomberg
- Nigeria lucky with media freedom —CBS CEO - Vanguard
Nigeria lucky with media freedom —CBS CEOVanguardNigeria has always been viewed as lacking that character of Africa, but when the chairman approached me, he laid out his vision for a Pan African channel not with only Nigerian interest, but with stations across Africa and Europe, its probably too ...and more »
- Naira float makes Nigeria stocks interesting again -Templeton's Mobius - Reuters
- Senate Vice President Writes to UN, U.S., Over Forgery Trial [Guardian] Abuja -Worried about the implications of the alleged forgery of Senate standing rules, Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, has written to ?the United Nations, European Union, United States' Congress, European Union Parliament, governments of United States, United Kingdom and other foreign missions, alerting them of imminent threat to Nigeria's democracy.?
- Why Buhari Ordered Arrest of Close Ally [Premium Times] President Muhammadu Buhari ordered the arrest of a key member of the panel investigating the mismanagement of public funds meant for the war against Boko Haram after receiving damning reports that he was involved in alleged money laundering and illegal possession of firearms, reliable security and presidency sources have told PREMIUM TIMES.
- Ex-Chief of Air Staff, Amosu, Arraigned - Granted N500 Million Bail [Premium Times] The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned a former Chief of Air Staff, Adesola Amosu, before a Federal High Court in Lagos.
- Hijab, CAN and Religious Tolerance [Daily Trust] On September 11, 2003, two teachers at the Franklin Science Academy in Muskogee, Oklahoma, were discussing the terrorist attacks that had occurred exactly two years earlier, when they spotted a sixth grader, Nashala Hearn, wearing a Muslim headscarf. The school's dress code prohibited students from wearing "hats, caps, bandanas, plastic caps, or hoods on jackets inside the building." One of the teachers sent Nashala to the principal, who warned and later suspended the eleven-year-old when she continued to
- Buhari - We Have No Other Country [Daily Trust] President Muhammadu Buhari has told Nigerians that they have no other country, saying nobody will solve the nation's problems for them.
- How Popular Nigerian Artist Went Missing After Song Criticising Govt - Family, Police [Vanguard] A popular musician in northeast Nigeria has gone missing just days after releasing a scathing song accusing local lawmakers of corruption, police and family said Wednesday.
- Court Admits Recording of Synagogue Building Collapse As Evidence [This Day] The footage of the collapsed six-storey guesthouse owned by Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) was played in the courtroom yesterday at the resumed trial of the Trustees of SCOAN and the two engineers involved in the construction of the collapsed guesthouse.
- Eight Multinational Oil Firms Urged to Pay Compensation for Spill [This Day] Uyo -Eight multi-national oil companies operating in Akwa Ibom State have been dragged to the National Human Rights Commission Special Investigation Panel sitting in the state for the payment of N34 trillion as compensation for oil spill victims in the state.
- New Militant Group Threatens to Attack Imo Govt [Vanguard] Owerri -A new militant group that operates on the platform of Niger Delta Red Squad, NDRS, has threatened to attack some government and oil facilities in Imo State.
- Petroleum - Buhari Urged to Stop Further Slips After $80 Billion Loss [Daily Trust] President Muhammadu Buhari has been urged to intervene and secure the political will to stop further loss of investments after loss of $80billion direct foreign investment and another $10billion fresh investment were recorded in the oil sector due to the non-passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB).
- Nigerians United On Democracy, Divided On Anti-Corruption War - Survey [Daily Trust] A new survey by the International Republican Institute (IRI) has shown that despite majority of Nigerians consider democracy above economic prosperity, they were sharply divided on President Muhammadu Buhari's anti-corruption war efforts.
- Synagogue Collapse - Video of Disaster Aired in Court [Premium Times] The trial of the two engineers charged over the collapse of a guest house belonging to the Synagogue Church of All Nations, took a new turn on Tuesday when a video of the tragedy was shown in court.
- How U.S.$40 Million Was Paid to Jonathan's Cousin's Company Account - Witness [Premium Times] The trial of Azibaola Robert, a cousin to former President Goodluck Jonathan, began Tuesday, with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, presenting its first witness, Ibrahim Mahe, who narrated how he transferred $40 million to "One Plus Holdings Nigeria Limited", a company allegedly owned by Mr. Robert.
- PDP Crisis - State Chairmen Disagree On Support for Makarfi, Sheriff [Premium Times] Some chairmen of state chapters of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, have denied reports that they met with, and endorsed the Ahmed Makarfi-led caretaker committee.
- MTN Nigeria Wins 2.6 Ghz Broadband License, Set to Deploy 4G LTE Internet [Premium Times] MTN Nigeria has won the frequency spectrum license for the 2.6GHz band as the sole bidder in the auction exercise by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
- Ekweremadu Petitions U.S. On Forgery Suit [Daily Trust] The Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, yesterday sent a petition to the United States Ambassador to Nigeria, James F. Entwistle, on the senate rules forgery suit.
- Police Arrest 10 Boko Haram Suspects in Zaria [Daily Trust] Zaria -No fewer than 10 suspected Boko Haram members who reportedly fled Sambisa Forest in Borno State have been arrested by the Nigerian Police Force in Dogarawa area of Sabon Gari, Zaria.
- Nigerians Divided On Anti-Corruption War - Survey [Daily Trust] A new survey by the International Republican Institute (IRI) has shown that despite majority of Nigerians considering democracy above economic prosperity, they were sharply divided on President Muhammadu Buhari's anti-corruption war efforts.
- Coup Rumours Fuelled By Political Class, Disgruntled Officers - Buratai [Daily Trust] The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has reiterated the determination of the army to get to the source of recent rumours of a coup plot to overthrow the current administration.
- Niger Governor's Wife to Foot Medical Bill of Bay Boy Whose Genitalia Was Cut Off [This Day] Minna -Wife of the Governor of Niger State, Dr. Amina Abubakar Bello, has promised to foot the medical bill of the one-month-old boy whose genitals were cut off by his step-mother in Kuta town, Niger State last weekend.
- Ekiti Assembly Holds Plenary On Highway [Vanguard] Ado-Ekiti -Mild drama in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital Wednesday, as lawmakers of state House of Assembly held a plenary session right in the middle of highway, in protest against the freezing of the account of Governor Ayodele Fayose at the Zenith by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC).
- Court Says EFCC Right in Detaining Fani-Kayode for Weeks [Premium Times] A Federal Capital Territory High Court has dismissed an application filed by a former aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, seeking the enforcement of his fundamental human rights.
- Post-UTME - Extant or Extinct? [Guardian] Ado-Ekiti -The last may not have been heard on the current status of post-UTME: whether it remains extant or extinct as the babel of words on the contentious, foggy and purported cancellation of that important part of the qualifying procedure for admission into Nigerian universities continues unabated. It was introduced in 2003 by the Committee of Pro Chancellors of Nigerian Universities under the Chairmanship of the frontline legal icon, Aare Afe Babalola, SAN.
- Witnesses Give Contradictory Testimonies in Oronsaye's Case [Guardian] Abuja -The two prosecution witnesses in the on-going trial of the former Head of Service of the Federation, Stephen Oronsaye and others yesterday gave contradictory evidences before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
- The Task Before IGP Idris [This Day] President Muhammadu Buhari last week appointed Alhaji Ibrahim Kpotum Idris as the acting Inspector General of Police. During the handover ceremony between him and his predecessor, Mr. Solomon Arase, Idris sounded the right note and defined the direction of his leadership. "We will do everything possible to ensure that we provide the best service to this country," he declared. "Under my leadership, the police will be governed by internationally recognised core values of policing. We will ensure that our str
- Police Trail Lebanese Over Alleged Theft of U.S.$487,700 [Vanguard] The Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday said that it was on the trail of a Lebanese national , Aly Sayad, over the alleged theft of $487,700 (about N138.9 million) from some Nigerians.
- Timaya Pays Tribute to Muhammad Ali, 'The Greatest' [Vanguard] Coming three weeks after the death of phenomenal boxer and philanthropist, Muhammad Ali, Timaya paid tribute to the Olympian at Legend's Real Deal Experience in Abakaliki.
- Govt to Replicate Ethiopia Experience in Simple Planning Process [Vanguard] Sen. Udoma Udo-Udoma, Minister of Budget and National Planning says the Federal Government will adopt simple planning process to achieve inclusive growth and development in the country.
- PDP Factional Primary - Police Cordon Off Stadium in Benin [Vanguard] Police have cordoned off the entrance to stadium road by Akenzua junction with vehicles and the gates to the stadium locked.
- Tenure of Chairman, A'Ibom Traditional Rulers' Council Elongated [This Day] With effect from September 23rd, 2016, the Chairman of the Akwa Ibom State Traditional Rulers' Council will be enjoying two years in office against the one year that had been in existence.
- E-commerce boom in Kenya offers new opportunities for entrepreneurs Kenya’s electronic commerce market is primed for major growth in the next five years as mobile internet performance continues to improve, a proposed national addressing system comes into existence, and people become more comfortable with digital transactions. That’s according to Dr. Rutendo Hwindingwi, divisional director for Sage East and West Africa,...
- Nigeria takes lead with online shopping via mobile devices Nigerian consumers are increasingly comfortable with online shopping – both from local retailers and foreign online stores — and are some of the world’s most prolific users of mobile devices to do this shopping. And forecast say they are going to...
- IoT Africa Summit & Smart Expo set for 6-7 July 2016 All is set for the Internet of Things Africa Summit (IoTAS 2016 & SMART Expo) from 6 – 7 July 2016 at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, Sandton, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa. Visit www.iotafricasummit.net for more details. IoTAS 2016 is proud...
- Top 10 Strategic Technologies for Government in 2016 After nearly a decade of “doing more with less,” government CIOs remain under pressure to further optimise IT and business costs while leading digital innovation in the public sector, according to Gartner, Inc. Government CIOs face organisational...
- Veeam Appoints new COO and CEO Veeam Software, the innovative provider of solutions that deliver Availability for the Always-On Enterprise, has announced that it has appointed Peter C. McKay, most recently Senior Vice President and General Manager, Americas with VMware, as its President...
- South Africa: Disabled students join Canon’s First Swing golf competition Children with varying disabilities from four Gauteng schools got the opportunity to participate in the inaugural Canon First Swing Gauteng Inter Schools golf tournament hosted by the South African Disabled Golf Association’s (SADGA) First Swing Programme...
- Nigeria: eBay partners with Mall for Africa According to a report via Tech Crunch, online retailer eBay has teamed up with MallforAfrica.com to enable US sellers to gain access to Africa’s largest consumer markets. According to the report, the partnership will allow the launch of a new eBay...
- Liquid Telecom to acquire Neotel for USD $430 million Liquid Telecom has revealed that it has entered into an agreement to acquire South African communications network operator, Neotel. The shareholders of Neotel – Tata Communications of India and minority shareholders led by Nexus Connexion (Nexus) – have...
- Nigeria: Delta State tackles land ownership bane with SA tech New, South African developed digital signature technology sits behind a major breakthrough for Nigeria’s Delta State government, which kicks off its “Fast Track 90” scheme – a new digital system for the acquisition of legal titles for landed property....
- Seedstars set to find Angola’s best startup Seedstars World is returning to Angola on July 27th. In line with its mission to place the spotlight on entrepreneurs from emerging markets, Seedstars World is travelling to more than 65 countries globally and 20+ in Africa this year to identify the best...
- Connected living: A long road for mobile operators towards 2025 Technology will play a central role in almost everything we do by the year 2025. And, as it continues to develop, Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) will need to find new ways to compete and capture market share in the next digital age. Operators will however...
- GrowthHub to help African entrepreneurs help themselves GrowthHub, a new initiative to support entrepreneurs, is hosting its first event at the OneChadwick cowork space in Sandton, Johannesburg in July 2016 with Rich Mulholland serving up a talk on How to Pitch for Funding. “At GrowthHub, we are looking to...
- Nigeria: MTN appoints new CFO MTN Nigeria has appointed Adekunle Awobodu as Chief Financial Officer (CFO). According to the company, Awobodu will take over from Ferdi Moolman, who was appointed as CEO of the company in December 2015. MTN revealed that Awobodu will serve as MTN’s...
- Taking a closer look at the inner workings of FunDex If you believe that the user experience is everything for mobile apps, HPE has a simple question for you: How are you measuring it? All too often, existing tools do not adequately measure the user experience. Some measure only a few variables or have...
- South Africa: Seedstars finalists revealed Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup ecosystems has brought its pre-selection rounds to an end. In partnership with Standard Bank, Seedstars World hosted the pre-selections in Cape Town,...
- Vulnerability found in popular energy equipment While performing a security assessment for one of its clients in the critical infrastructure sector, the Kaspersky Lab Security Services team discovered an important vulnerability. The CVE-2016-4785 vulnerability could allow an attacker to remotely obtain a...
- Niger, Dangote conclude plans on N148bn sugar factory Niger State government and the Dangote Group have concluded plans for the takeoff of a N148 billion ($450m) sugar factory in the state, just as the state government has assured investors of...
- Group seeks end to Kogi varsity strike Some prominent indigenes of Kogi State rallied together in Lagos at the weekend to seek ways of ending the lingering strike by the lecturers which paralysed academic activities at the Kogi S...
- 15 states may go bankrupt – Economic Confidential …36 states generates N682bn IGR Fifteen out of the 36 states in the country may declare bankruptcy due to poor revenue generation and dwindling allocation from the federation account....
- Nigerians are suffering, says Catholic archbishop Archbishop of Catholic archdiocese of Kaduna, Most Rev. Mathew Man-Oso Ndagoso, said Nigeria is almost like a begging nation presently, urging President Muhammadu Buhari to urgently assuage...
- Troops kill four cattle rustlers in Zamfara Nigerian Army has said its troops yesterday killed four cattle rustlers and armed bandits in Zamfara State, leaving several others with gunshot injuries. A statement through the Army Public...
- IMAN to establish hospital, school in Bauchi Islamic Medical Association of Nigeria, IMAN, Bauchi State chapter, will establish a hospital and a school to render services to people. Speaking at the second state congress meeting of the...
- New bailout fund: Bauchi to embark on staff verification Governor Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi State said his government would embark on yet another round of staff verification to enable it access Federal government’s budget support programme. “So,...
- Image-battering: Peace corps slams NSCDC, DSS, others Peace Corps of Nigeria, PCN, has said the idea of casting aspersions and battering its image by sister organisations like the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, Department of S...
- Restructuring: NGO seeks implementation of Confab report A non-governmental organisation, National Survival Group, NSG, has called on the Federal Government to consider the implementation of the National Confab resolutions in order to be able to o...
- Olubadan harps on revival of Yoruba language, culture Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Adetunji, has called on parents in Yorubaland to encourage their children and wards in the speaking and learning of Yoruba language. He made the call yester...