- Blast rocks bus station in northern Nigeria - Aljazeera.com
- UPDATE 1-Nigeria assumes $78 a barrel oil price benchmark for 2015 budget - Reuters
- Ebola-free: How did Nigeria and Senegal do it? - Los Angeles Times
- African Women Championship semi-final: Nigeria vs South Africa LIVE (2 - 1 ... - StarAfrica.com
- No news on return of SA bodies from Nigeria - News24
- Ebola in west Africa - The Economist
Ebola in west AfricaThe EconomistWHEN Dennis Akagha's fiancée, Justina Ejelonu, contracted Ebola in Lagos two months ago, Nigeria's health-care workers had little experience in dealing with the disease. A hospital nurse, she had been infected while caring for Patrick Sawyer, ...
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free, holds lessons for others - Fox News
Nigeria declared Ebola-free, holds lessons for othersFox News"Nigeria was not really prepared for the outbreak, but the swift response from the federal government, state governments (and) international organizations ... was essential," said Samuel Matoka, Ebola operations manager in Nigeria for the International ...
- Hijacking Nigeria's #BringBackOurGirls campaign - Aljazeera.com
Hijacking Nigeria's #BringBackOurGirls campaignAljazeera.comOne evening in May, I visited a bar in Dumfries, a small Scottish town of 40,000 people. When my host - the Scottish poet I was visiting on an exchange programme - introduced me to the bar owner as a Nigerian, she said she had something to show me.
- Nigeria officially declared Ebola free - Aljazeera.com
Nigeria officially declared Ebola freeAljazeera.comThe World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared Nigeria Ebola free, after a 42 day period with no new cases. "Nigeria is now free of Ebola," WHO representative Rui Gama Vaz told a news conference in the capital Abuja on Monday. "The virus is gone for ...
- Nigeria says return of kidnapped girls close despite shaky state of truce - The Guardian
- Nigeria truce is shaky, no news of abducted girls MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Days after Nigeria's military raised hopes with the announcement that Islamic extremists had agreed to a cease-fire, Boko Haram still is fighting and there is no word on the fate of 219 schoolgirls held hostage for six months.
- Oil Slump Rings Alarm Bells for Nigeria as Elections Loom Nigeria's efforts to prop up its currency months before presidential elections are being undone by the slide in oil prices. The naira tumbled to within 0.3 percent of a record low as Brent crude fell to the lowest level in more than four years. While some of the world's biggest banks say the collapse in oil is just about over, further losses would force Africa's largest producer to choose ...
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free, holds lessons for others Nigeria was declared free of the deadly Ebola virus on Monday after a determined doctor and thousands of officials and volunteers helped end an outbreak still ravaging other parts of West Africa and threatening the United States and Spain.
- Nigeria minister 'optimistic' Boko Haram will free girls Berlin (AFP) - Nigeria's foreign minister said Tuesday that Abuja hopes to end the conflict with Islamist militant group Boko Haram soon and win the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls.
- How 1 doctor saved Nigeria from Ebola catastrophe A day after the World Health Organization declared Nigeria free of Ebola, the doctor who treated the country's first case of the deadly virus and later died from the disease herself is being hailed as a hero for helping stop the outbreak.
- Nigeria wealth fund chief says investment plans unaffected by weak oil By Chris Vellacott LONDON (Reuters) - Nigeria's sovereign wealth fund said its investment programme over the next six months, including on infrastructure, will go ahead, even as revenues that provide its capital are hit by falling oil prices. Uche Orji, Chief Executive of the Nigeria Investment Authority, highlighted one of the vehicle's core aims is to manage oil export windfalls to cushion the ...
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free in 'spectacular success' Abuja (AFP) - Nigeria was declared Ebola-free on Monday in a "spectacular success" in the battle to contain the spread of a virus which is devastating Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia where more than 4,500 people have died.
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free; 'spectacular success' ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Water laced with salt and sugar, and gallons of the nasty-tasting stuff.
- Amodu looks to turn Nigeria fortunes Nigeria's new caretaker coach Shaibu Amodu is aiming to turn around the fortunes of the African Champions.
- Nigeria talks with Boko Haram but no sign of girls' release By Emma Farge and Lanre Ola N'DJAMENA/MAIDUGURI (Reuters) - Nearly a week after Nigeria announced a ceasefire deal with Boko Haram, which it said would include the release of more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by the Islamist group, there is still no sign of the girls being freed. Talks took place this week between the government and the Islamist militant group in the Chadian capital, but they ...
- Super Falcons Move to Final of African Women's Championship [Vanguard]Windhoek -Super Falcons reached the final of the African Women Championship by beating South Africa's Banyana Banyana 2-1 in a hard fought match at the Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek.
- South African Bodies Still in Lagos [SAPA]Johannesburg -There was still no news on when the bodies of more than 80 South Africans killed in a building collapse in Nigeria will come home, a government spokeswoman said on Wednesday.
- Ebola 'Cure' Professor's Eye Drop Remedy Also Questionable [Africa Check]A Nigerian professor has claimed that eye drops made from an extract of the bitter kola tree can treat glaucoma. The evidence is questionable.
- Keshi - Nigeria Not a Serious Football Country [Vanguard]Former Super Eagles manager Stephen Keshi has thrown a parting shot at Nigerian football, saying the country should stop seeing itself as a serious football nation because it was still lagging behind in many vital areas needed to attain such levels.
- Terrorism - FG Wants Secret Trial for Ndume [Daily Trust]The Federal Government yesterday requested a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja to conduct a secret trial for Senator Ali Ndume, who is standing trial for terrorism charges.
- Despite 'Ceasefire' Breach, Chibok Parents Hopeful Girls Will Return Wednesday [Premium Times]A father of two of the Chibok schoolgirls has expressed disappointment that the more than 200 girls seized by Boko Haram more than six months ago have failed to return despite a purported ceasefire agreed between the government and the sect.
- 50 UK Institutions Stage Education Fair in Lagos [Daily Independent]Lagos -The British Council has announced the participation of about 50 institutions from the United Kingdom (UK) that will take part in the 2014 exhibition fair in Lagos State.
- Police Parade Dogs That Bit Four-Year-Old Boy's Head [Leadership]Amid rumours doing the rounds that the police had released the dogs that bit the head of a four-year-old boy, identified as Omonigho Abraham, in Igando area of Lagos State to the owner, the Lagos State Police Command yesterday paraded the dogs to redeem its image and douse the tension it generated.
- The Bane of Poor Leadership [This Day]Nigeria needs to move away from the model that has not served it well As the nation's handlers continue to gloat that we have the biggest economy on the continent after the rebasing exercise, Nigeria is once again ranked abysmally among African countries in terms of governance. Apart from the paradoxical nature of this, some pertinent questions beg for answers: Why should any government pride itself to be people-oriented when the citizens do not feel its presence in their daily lives? What, indeed, is the
- Minister 'Optimistic' Boko Haram Will Free Girls [Vanguard]Berlin -Nigeria's foreign minister said Tuesday that Abuja hopes to end the conflict with Islamist militant group Boko Haram soon and win the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls.
- Presidency Rules Out Hosting AFCON, Citing January Polls [Guardian]SOURCES at the Presidency say Nigeria is currently not interested in hosting next year's Africa Cup of Nations because it coincides with next year's general elections, reports SL10.ng.
- National Assembly Okays Independent Candidacy [Guardian]Abuja -THE two chambers of the National Assembly yesterday approved a constitutional amendment for independent candidate in future elections.
- Shell Concludes Sale of Oil Blocks to Aiteo, Erotron, Others [This Day]Royal Dutch Shell has concluded the sale of its four Nigerian onshore oil blocks - Oil Mining Leases (OML) 18, 24, 25 and 29 - in addition to the Nembe Creek Trunk Line (NCTL) - which it put up for sale following a 2013 review of its business in the country.
- Okonjo-Iweala - Nigeria Is Not Broke [This Day]Abuja -The Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has dismissed insinuations that the country was broke, explaining that the fact that oil prices had declined in recent times did not translate to an economy that is broke.
- The Escalating Insecurity in the Land [Daily Independent]President Goodluck Jonathan must rise above partisanship and take necessary steps to guarantee security, and restore the rule of law.
- 'Pneumonia Kills 143,000 Nigerian Children Annually' [Daily Trust]Calabar -A research by the Nigerian branch of South African Cochrane Centre in Calabar, Cross River State, has shown that 143,000 Nigerian children die as a result of pneumonia and fumes from generators and domestic stoves.
- To Gowon @ 80 - Time Runs [Vanguard]FORMER Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon is 80. Time really flies. The image of Gowon, in the minds of those who lived through the Civil War, was of a dashing officer, not one to be associated with 80 years and its frailties. Gowon has been known for his openness on some issues. His admission of his ill-preparedness to lead Nigeria was one.
- Jim Iyke Joins Politics [Daily Independent]Just like some of his colleagues in the entertainment world, popular Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke has turned to active Politics.
- Poor Sanitation - 150,000 Children Die Annually in Nigeria - -Unicef [Vanguard]Abuja--The United Nations Children's Education Fund has said that about 150,000 children die annually in Nigeria as a result of poor sanitation and the intake of unsafe water, which results in diarrhea.
- Remi Oyo Honoured in 'The Media Afternoon of Tributes' [Vanguard]No fewer than 500 members of the Nigerian and international media family, yesterday, paid glowing tributes to former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria, Dame Felicia Oluremilekun Oyo, for her indelible marks in the media industry at an event tagged: "The Media Afternoon of Songs and Tributes".
- National Assembly Retains Immunity for President, Govs [Vanguard]ABUJA--THE Conference Committee of the National Assembly on Constitution Review yesterday retained the immunity clause for the President and the Governors which was originally in the Nigerian Constitution but was recommended for removal by the House of Representatives.
- Why I Left APGA, Obi Replies Bianca Ojukwu [Vanguard]FORMER governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, has reacted to Monday's comments by Nigerian Ambassador to Spain and wife of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Mrs Bianca Ojukwu, following his recent defection to People's Democratic Party, PDP,, where she expressed shock and disappointment among others, over the defection from All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, to PDP.
- Uduaghan At 60 - Political Leaders Tasked On Solutions to Nation's Problems [Vanguard]ASABA--PROMINENT Nigerians, including the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammed Sa'ad Abubakar III, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State and Bishop Hassan Matthew Kukah, Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, yesterday appealed to political leaders in the country to live exemplary lives and continue to dialogue so as to find solutions to the nation's problems.
- Nigeria Not Broke, Says Okonjo-Iweala [Vanguard]ABUJA--The Federal Government yesterday, reassured that Nigeria is financially sound and has been meeting its local and international financial obligations despite dwindling revenues from crude oil exports. The assurance came from Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
- 2015 - No Automatic Waiver for PDP Returnees, Unless... - Mu'azu [Leadership]National chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Dr Adamu Mu'azu has stated that there will not be automatic waiver for both new and returnee members of the party.
- FG Uncovers 60,000 Ghost Workers [Leadership]The federal government has uncovered a total of 60,000 ghost workers in federal establishments across the country following the staff audit of the federal government ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) on the implementation of the integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS).
- Audu Ogbeh Apologises for Linking BBOG Group to APC [Leadership]A chieftain of the All Progressive Congress (APC), Chief Audu Ogbeh, has retracted a statement he made recently claiming that the members of the BringBackOurGirls (BBOG) group were members of the APC.
- Boko Haram Rules Bama With Force, Jail Residents, Collect Fees for Bail - Escapees [Leadership]Accounts from fresh escapees from the captured town of Bama in Borno State reveal how the Boko Haram insurgents rule those trapped in the town with an iron fist, including sentencing many harmless residents to jail for not complying with imposed Sharia Law.
- Constitution Amendment - NASS, Governors Set for Showdown [Leadership]There are strong indications that the ongoing amendment to the nation's constitution might set federal lawmakers and state governors on a collision course over the former's resolve to grant autonomy to the country's local government system.
- Respect Ceasefire Deal, Obama Warns FG, Boko Haram [Leadership]New York -As controversies and doubts trail the ceasefire deal that was at the weekend reached by the federal government and the Boko Haram Sect in order to facilitate the quick release of the over 200 female students that were abducted by the insurgents in Chibok, the United States president, Mr. Barrack Obama, on Tuesday urged all the parties involved to implement the ceasefire deal.
- Happy Birthday To Nollywood Actress Hilda Dokubo
- Photos Of Chika Ike In Bikini From Rented N4M Yacht Upset Fans
- Photo: Nigerian Actress Laide Bakare Delivers 2nd Child, A Baby Boy For New Husband In New York
- Clems Onyeka’s Family Visits Juju Priest To Find Killer & Avenge Murder
- Chika Ike In Dubai For Pre Birthday Vacation, Rents N4M Yacht For 2 Nights
- Nigerian Actress Who Turned Hairdresser In Germany, Bukky Black Organizes Superstars Mega Nite
- Jide Kosoko’s Daughter, Bidemi Celebrates Birthday Today
- Photos & Video: Beverly Osu Puts Live Python Snake Across Neck In New Movie
- Heavily Pregnant Uche Jombo & Monalisa Chinda Attend Invasion 1897 Movie Premiere In Texas
- Frustrated Wife Tells Nollywood Actress Ronke Odusanya, Flakky Ididowo To Take Cheating Husband
- Nollywood Fashion Designer Genevieve Nnaji Wears St Genevieve Pant
- Toyin Afolayan Lola Idije On Why She Didn’t Remarry After Husband’s Death & 55th Birthday
- Photo: Ini Edo Buys N22M 2014 G-Wagon At Mercedes Benz Car Shop In Lagos Nigeria
- Photos: Algerian-Canadian ISIS Terrorist, Gunmen Who Killed Soldier In Ottawa Shootings
- Photos & Video: Terrorists Attack In Ottawa Canada Kill 2, Gunmen Shot Soldier Dead
- Dapsey Filling Station Owner, Chief Oladapo Coker Freed By Kidnappers, N20M Ransom Paid
- US$9.3M Arm Cash: Asari Dokubo After Lai Mohammed’s Life – APC Warns
- Clems Onyeka’s Family Visits Juju Priest To Find Killer & Avenge Murder
- Arrested Robbers Who Killed Newswatch Journalist In Lagos Warn “Don’t Argue With Man With Gun”
- Photo: 2 Dogs Arrested & Jailed By Police In Lagos Nigeria For Attacking Boy
- NYSC Corper, CLO Officer Accused Of Stealing N2.3 Allowance, Abayomi Isaac Claims Innocence
- Nigerian FG Seeks Secret Trial For Boko Haram Sponsor Senator Ndume
- Email:Real Boko Haram Says Jonathan Sponsoring Fake Boko Haram Terrorists Attacking Nigerians
- Photo: Armed Robbers Killed Pastor Inside Church In Oke Ela Ilaro Ogun State
- Photos: Rubbles Of Collapsed TB Joshua’s Church Building 5 Weeks After
- Skype Bank Staff Arrested For Withdrawing N875K From Dead Customer’s Account In Lagos
- Ntekim, Emmanuel join governorship race in Akwa Ibom THE immediate past Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in Akwa Ibom State, Ekpenyong [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:58]
- Amuchezie lauds Nigerians over support for Jonathan THE Chancellor, Anambra State University Prof. Elo Amuchezie has praised Nigerians for giving [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:53]
- APC not stopping anybody from contesting in Lagos, says State Chairman Ajomale • Ambode declares gubernatorial ambition tomorrow SPECULATIONS that the leadership of Lagos State [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:27]
- Wogu declares Abia gubernatorial ambition IMMEDIATE Minister of Labour and Productivity, Emeka Wogu has formally declared his intention to [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:51]
- CBN denies funding Boko Haram THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has denied allegations that there are people using it to fund the [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:22]
- Obiano urges vigilance over Ebola GOVERNOR Willie Obiano of Anambra State, has cautioned Nigerians not to relax efforts in the fight [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:48]
- Anglicans, Catholics urge unity among Nigerians • CAN, PFN to pray for 2015, others THE Nigerian Anglican/Roman Catholic Commission (NARCC) has [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:18]
- Court nullifies Enugu PDP councillors election THE Local Government Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Enugu on Tuesday nullified the election [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:44]
- Reps okay $1b loan request to fight terrorism • Bill on degree-HND dichotomy passes second reading in Senate THE House of Representatives has [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 22:06]
- Why Nigeria is not broke, by Okonjo-Iweala • Non-oil revenue generates N1.838tr in nine months • Govt mobilises $14.1b to boost real sector THOUGH [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:39]
- President effects minor cabinet reshuffle • FEC okays N212.8b for East-West road, others AS a fall out of the resignation early [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 22:04]
- PDP gives Jonathan, others seven days ultimatum to buy nomination form •Grants automatic waiver for new members THE Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 22:03]
- Senate enacts law to protect border communities A LEGISLATION to boost the development of the country’s [Thursday, 23 October 2014 04:32]
- Oil states get N162b in second quarter •Crude oil export hits 1.46mbd THE Federal Government distributed N162.20 billion as 13 per [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:34]
- CBN toughens stance on BVN project for banks, customers THE Central Bank of Nigeria may have listed a hard path for both the financial institutions and [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:33]
- Addax extends $39m FPSO charter offshore Nigeria ADDAX Petroleum has extended its use of the FPSO Kock Adoon offshore Nigeria by a year in a $39 [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:23]
- French phone maker targets 10% market share in Nigeria THE robustness of Nigeria’s mobile phone market came to the fore once again yesterday, with the [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:32]
- Global network marketing system makes debut in Nigeria NIGERIA continued its march towards acceptance of online system as an effective business tool of the [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:22]
- BPE seeks enactment of reform bills THE Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) has expressed hope that the seven reform bills before the [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:30]
- Stakeholders blame poor business growth on infrastructure, access to ICT THE stumpy level of business growth in Nigeria, especially among the middle class is attributed to [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:20]
- Naira defies speculations, makes marginal gain NIGERIA'S currency may have defied speculations that the week would be all loss, as it rebounded [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:28]
- Star, Gulder win awards FOR the third year in a row, brands from the stable of Nigerian Breweries Plc have reinforced their [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:19]
- FBN capital hosts yearly investor confab FIDELITY Bank Plc said it has greater things in the offing in its relationship with customers and [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:18]
- Mark tasks executive on budget implementation THE Senate President, David Mark, on Monday, charged the executive arm of government to ensure [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:24]
- Oshoalas brace sinks Banyana Banyana, Falcons secure World Cup ticket TWO goals from midfielder, Asisat Oshoala, were all the Super Falcons needed to silence the Banyana [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 21:34]
- Platini, CAF fight over Ebola insult UEFA president, Michel Platini, has hit back in a row with the Confederation of African Football [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 21:34]
- St. Gabriels Church, others in Archbishop Martins Cup quarterfinals THE on-going Archbishop Alfred Adewale Martins football tournament, organised by the Catholic Men [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:38]
- Nwosu wants Oliseh to work with foreign coach FORMER Super Eagles’ captain, Henry Nwosu, has urged the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to pick [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 21:32]
- Amodu, Siasia to defend programmes on Monday SUPER Eagles’ interim coach, Shuaibu Amodu, and the national Under-23 manager, Samson Siasia, will [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 21:30]
- Presidency rules out hosting AFCON, citing January polls Cold war brews between minister, NFF over foreign coach SOURCES at the Presidency say Nigeria [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:45]
- We chose Uyo Stadium for Eagles game purely on merit, says NFF • Federation writes Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, Ghana for opening match THE Nigeria Football Federation [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 21:29]
- Paddysco, TopSpot partner for Lagos soccer fair ALL is set for the 2014 edition of Paddysco/TopSpot Lagos Soccer Fair, aimed at actualising the [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:41]
- Eagles will qualify for 2015 Nations Cup, Agu assures NEWLY appointed Super Eagles goalkeepers’ trainer, Aloy Agu, is optimistic that Nigeria will qualify [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:42]
- Amodu explains decision to accept Super Eagles job Says Keshi was wrongly sacked SUPER Eagles interim chief coach, Shuaibu Amodu, yesterday gave [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:40]
- Odyssey of a Green Eagle: Ekeji tells his story as sportsman, administrator PATRICK Ekeji was one of the players that made Nigeria a dreaded force in African football in the [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:41]
- Ilorin agog as best of North Central Championship athletes fight for honours ILORIN, the Kwara State capital, will next Wednesday host the cream of athletes from Niger, Kogi, [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 20:39]
- BCX & Telkom still awaiting regulatory approval Business Connexion (BCX) and Telkom are still awaiting regulatory approval, in a number of countries, for Telkom’s takeover of the company. According to a statement made to shareholders, the company revealed that it still needs approvals from the following the Competition Commission sectors: South African Competition Commission; Competition Authority...
- Millicom & Deezer partner for Tigo Music in Africa Telecommunications and media company Millicom has extended its partnership with music streaming service Deezer to five Tigo markets in Africa. With Deezer, Tigo Music will launch in Ghana soon and roll out to Chad, DR Congo, Rwanda and Tanzania in the coming...
- MTN Group sponsors GSMA Mobile 360-Africa The MTN Group has announced that it is the Platinum Event Sponsor for the GSMA Mobile 360-Africa event, which will be held in Cape Town from 5-7 November 2014. Mobile 360-Africa will attract key stakeholders from mobile and adjacent industries to examine...
- Liquid Telecom to bolster research progress in Kenya Liquid Telecom Kenya has installed a Sh400m fibre optic network connecting 25 Kenya Agricultural And Livestock Research Organisation (KALRO) centres and enabling the country’s agricultural research institution to use technology to bolster its research...
- Samsung donates 3000 smartphones in fight against Ebola Samsung Electronics South Africa has revealed that the company will donate 3000 smartphones, worth about USD 1 million (ZAR10,9 million) to support the ongoing fight against Ebola. The smartphones to be donated through the United Nations Office for the...
- Infographic: 8 Biggest security breaches in history Over the years there has been many security breaches, with companies such as eBay being targets. The info graphic, which was submitted by whoishostingthis.com, has visualised the 8 biggest security breaches in history —covering how and why we should be...
- MTN shortlisted for two AfricaCom Awards A service which is enriching the way small and large enterprises across Africa operate, and a powerful campaign about the impact of mobile technology, have garnered the attention of the 2014 AfricaCom Awards judging panel. MTN’s Global Multi-Protocol Label...
- Gabon: Airtel partners with UNESCO for IT youth training Bharti Airtel with launch a new training programme targeting to impart new technological skills to thousands of youth in Gabon in partnership with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO). The three-year initiative –...
- Social media reacts to Pistorius sentencing Oscar Pistorius has received a five year sentence for culpable homicide. The judgement came after a seven-month trial in the North Gauteng High Court for the death of Reeva Steenkamp at his luxury Pretoria home in February 2013. According to EWN, The athlete...
- Ebola SMS system set to launch in West Africa The SMS-based system used to advise people about Ebola in Sierra Leone is set to launch across seven additional West African nations. These countries include: Benin, Togo, Ghana, Mali, Guinea-Bissau, Gambia and Burkina Faso. According to the BBC, the system...
- Nigeria: MTN claims USD 13 Billion investment According to MTN Nigeria, the company has invested USD 13 Billion in fixed assets and facilities nationwide in its thirteen years of operation in the country. MTN is set to renew its license by 2016 in Nigeria and currently has a 45 percent market share with...
- SAP sees 41% revenue growth in third quarter SAP again delivered strong growth in the cloud and a solid overall revenue performance. With non-IFRS cloud subscriptions and support revenue increasing 41% (42% at constant currencies) SAP is the fastest growing enterprise cloud company at scale . Non-IFRS...
- 10 African tech start-ups to look out for Africa is bursting with potential, especially when it comes to the tech start-up scene. A great number of companies have entered the African tech scene recently; however, 10 of these start-ups have shined, much like the glorious African sun, in the eyes of IT...
- Wiko sets sights on Nigeria’s mobile phone market Wiko has set its sights on Nigeria’s mobile phone market. The mobile phone manufacturer intends to introduce ten of its devices to the country on 22 October 2014. Ahead of its formal launch in Nigeria, the company was reported to take 12 channel...
- Egyptian government wants Etisalat on national exchange According to reports, the Egyptian Government has requested that mobile operator, Etisalat, begins the process of becoming listed on the national exchange. ICT minister, Atef Helmy, stated that: “Etisalat is planning a USD 500 million listing that would...
- Researchers looking to Nigeria for tech to suppress Ebola According to reports, following new cases of the Ebola virus in Spain, researchers are looking to Nigeria’s utilisation of 21st Century technology to study exactly how Africa’s most populous country was able to contain the deadly disease. The...
- Osun’s Mechatronics centre to roll out soon — Aregbesola …will end era of auto repairs abroad Osun State Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, yesterday said the era of Nigeria shipping complex automobiles abroad for repairs will soon end, with the… ...
- Cross Country’s trial: AGF takes over prosecution A Lagos State High Court in Ikeja, presided over by Justice Lateef Lawal-Akapo, was yesterday informed that the office of the Attorney- General of the Federation, AGF, had taken over… ...
- Nigerians must be patient with Jonathan —NRCRI boss An aspirant for Osun Central Senatorial District on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, for the 2015 general elections, Chief Oludaisi Aina, yesterday urged Nigerians to be patient… ...
- ‘Gemstones can fetch Nigeria multi-million dollars annually’ The Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Export Promotion Council, NEPC, Mr. Olusegun Awolowo, yesterday in Ibadan said the country’s raw gemstones can fetch the nation multi-million… ...
- Imo govt lifts embargo on employment Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, yesterday announced the lifting of embargo on employment into the state civil service while congratulating Imo workers on their Civil Service Week. Okorocha announced this… ...
- Obiano steps up war against polio, donates N5m The battle for the eradication of polio disease in Nigeria got a boost yesterday with Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, joining Sir Emeka Offor in the fight, with a… ...
- Rep charges colleagues on improved facilities for Nigerians House Committee Chairman on Aviation, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, has challenged her colleagues to combine the business of lawmaking with provision of facilities to the Nigerian people. This is as she decried… ...
- Chime appoints new Chief of Staff Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State has approved the appointment of Mr Victor Nnanna Atuonwu as his new Chief of Staff. The appointment followed the resignation of the former chief… ...
- Sapele NBA protests abduction of member Socio-economic activities in Sapele and neighbouring communities were almost grounded yesterday, following a protest by members of the Nigeria Bar Association, NBA, Sapele branch, over the abduction of a member.… ...
- Thugs beat up Rivers NLC chairman Suspected to be thugs yesterday manhandled the Rivers State chairman of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Comrade Chris Oruge, in Port Harcourt. It was gathered that the youths invaded the office… ...
‘Why I want to be in Lagos Assembly’
He might be a political bigwig in the country but in his residence in Lagos,… ...2015: Anambra Goodluck/Sambo support group repositions, visits Alkali
Ahead of 2015 polls, the Goodluck/Sambo Consolidation 2015, Anambra State chapter, has been mobilising to… ...2015 Presidency: Jonathan must buy nomination form, PDP insists
•Says deadline remains Oct. 30 The Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP), National Working Committee, (NWC), has… ...2015: APGA governorship aspirants to pay N12m
All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) governorship aspirants are to cough out N12million, the party announced… ...2015: Factional PDP emerges in Ebonyi
Governor Martin Elechi’s recent endorsement of the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, as consensus… ...2015: Sokoto PDP guber aspirants parley ends deadlock
A reconciliatory meeting convened, yesterday to work out consensus arrangement between the four leading aspirants… ...Kudos to Chime on Enugu zoning, consensus
Recently, Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State revealed Mr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, as the man who would succeed him at the expiration of his tenure in 2015. Media reports indicated that Ugwuanyi was the clear and popular choice of both the governor and the Nsukka zone whose ...Amaechi and politics of spurious figures
The extent of falsehood, based on either ignorance or outright mischief that is being peddled in the Nigerian public space by highly placed persons is alarming and sickening. ...Edo North: Richard Lamai raises the stakes
The race for Edo North Senatorial race nudges higher, following the declaration of the National Coordinator of PDP Reloaded, Chief Richard Lamai, to contest the senatorial election, which is the home turf of the state governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole. ...Nigeria’ll stand firm or falter in accordance with what we do in oil & gas sector – Edeoga
Remarks by Hon. Chijioke Edeoga, Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, as the chairman of the public session of the 4th triennial branch delegates conference of MOBIL Producing Nigeria branch of PENGASSAN in Abuja ...Police arrest customs officer over daughter’s death
A senior customs officer (name withheld) was yesterday arrested by the police in Meran area… ...Glad tidings for tobacco firms, smokers
…As Senate rules out total ban on tobacco products Two players drive the global tobacco… ...Akwa Ibom guber: I can’t step down for Udom Emmanuel –Ntekim
The immediate past attorney general and commissioner for justice in Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Ekpenyong… ...Constitution amendment: Why we endorsed LG autonomy –Ihedioha
Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Emeka Ihedioha has said the National Assembly decided… ...Don’t be greedy, be your brother’s keeper, Oritsejafor tells rich Nigerians
President of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, has criticised wealthy Nigerians, who… ...Chime appoints new Chief of Staff
Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State has approved the appointment of Mr. Victor Nnanna Atuonwu as… ...Remi Oyo dismantled obstacles – Adesina, The Sun MD
The obsequies for the former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the late Mrs Oluremi Oyo, started in Lagos, yesterday, with a service of songs by the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE). ...My meeting with Jonathan not on Boko Haram –Marwa
A former military administrator of Lagos State, Brigadier General Mohammed Buba Marwa (retd), has said his meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa on Monday, had nothing to do with ongoing ceasefire talks between Boko Haram and the Federal Government as insinuated in media reports yesterday. ...Erection of telecom mast: Sokoto residents send SOS to Wamakko
Residents of Minanata area of Sokoto metropolis in Sokoto South Local Government Area of the state have appealed to the state government to prevail on a telecommunication firm, Biswal Nig. Ltd, to stop the erection of a mast in the area. ...Cleric urges synergy between churches, mosques to change Nigeria
The Senior Pastor of Fountain of Life Church, Pastor Taiwo Odukoya, has urged the church to take up responsibility as the vehicle of change and development in Nigeria. ...Extradition: Court remands ex-Mint MD in EFCC custody
Former Managing Director of Nigerian Security, Minting and Printing Company, Mr. Ehidiamhem Okoyomon has told… ...FG approves N3.341bn for flight simulator, accessories at NCAT
The Federal Executive Council (FEC), presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, has approved the sum… ...FIRS quizzes top officials of 6 firms over N2.4bn tax debt
Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) in a two-day tax enforcement drive has quizzed top officials… ...Unity Bank lists 78.4bn shares
…As mgt pledges enhanced returns Having successfully completed its rights issue, Unity Bank Plc has… ...National survey’ll solve housing problem for low income earners –Eyakenyi
Mrs. Akon Eyakenyi, the Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, is one of the female politicians who can rise to the occasion when it matters most. At 54 her appointment was seen as a welcome development and a moment to celebrate a woman who has become accepted by many who look up to her as a role model in Akwa Ibom State. ...NERC gives Discos 2 weeks ultimatum on meter supply
Electricity consumers whose meters are yet to be delivered months after payment may heave a sigh of relief as Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) said it has given the distribution companies (Discos) two weeks to get them delivered. ...Abuja airport second runway national priority –FG
The Federal Government has said the construction of the second runway for the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja, is on national priority list.This is even as it disclosed that the completion of the total radar coverage of Nigeria’s airspace is attracting more international ...Forex: BDCs appeal for higher allocation
Bureaux De Change operators in the country have appealed to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for an increase in the weekly sale of foreign exchange to each operator. ...Winners emerge in Fidelity Bank Save 4 Scholarship promo
Customers of Fidelity Bank Plc, who emerged winners at the second nationwide draw of the bank’s “Save 4 Scholarship” promo, have been rewarded with a total of N12.7 million. ...FDI: Nigeria received over $67bn in 13yrs –CBN
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said Nigeria received Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) of over $67 billion between 2000 and 2013. ...Why Ibadan remains my base –Taye Currency, Fuji star
Taiwo Akande Adebisi popularly known as Taye Currency is one of the Fuji music stars… ...Bridal sleeves now trendy
Bolero and sleeveless bridal dresses would soon be a thing of the past in… ...I’m committed to my political ambition –Julius Agwu
Once more, comedy King, Julius Agwu, has declared that his ambition to run for the… ...With love from Botswana: Mpho Laing’s passion for Nigeria
She is beautiful and brainy and guess what, she is passionate about Nigeria. With a… ...Yinka Davies, Timi Dakolo for Love Musical
Timi Dakolo and DJ Xclusive will be on parade on November 2, as they join… ...I love fish pepper soup –Stone Jiang, MD Bliss Hair Nigeria
Stone Jiang is the Managing Director of Bliss Hair Nigeria. During the week , he… ...Tears for Clem Onyeka
Following the tragic death of Nollywood actor, Clems Onyeka, whose life was brutally cut short… ...I’m hot for Bruno Mars –Naomi Mac
Naomi Mac, remember her? The petit dark skinned beauty that enthralled Nigerians at the maiden… ...Behold Victoria Ubani, Face of Niger Delta Season 3
Victoria Ubani has emerged the winner of Face of Niger Delta Cultural Beauty Pageant Season… ...I found love in Nigeria -Ella Mensah, Gollywood actress
Emmanuella Gift Mensah, aka, Ella Mensah, is what you could describe as a cross-over-actress because… ...
- Consolidated Hallmark’s net income rises 215.26% in Q1 2014 - In what could be perceived as a spectacular success, Consolidated Hallmark Insurance first quarter (Q1) 2014 net income surged 215.26 percent, a result that means shareholders of the company should await increased returns on their investment. For the first three months through March 2014, the Nigeria insurer’s profit after tax (PAT) increased by 215.26 percent
- InterSwitch provides solution for mobile management businesses - InterSwitch Transnational, a pan-African integrated payment company, has launched Retailpay, a mobile business management platform. Retailpay provides growing businesses with the technology to remotely manage and monitor their operations via mobile devices, irrespective of location. Retailpay is an application that allows retailers have access to their business records from any smart device. According to a
- UASPADA shopping complex allocation for 3,000 subscribers comes up November - Over 3,000 shop subscribers that are qualified for the new ultra-modern Machine Parts Plaza, a project of the United Allied Spare Parts Dealers Association (UASPADA) in Lagos International Trade Fair Complex along Badagry Expressway, would take possession of the property November 2014, according to its executive management. This was announced by Bartholomew Achukwu, president, UASPADA,
- ‘Typical Nigerian housing market is still 95% brick and mortar’ - Typically, an average Nigerian home seeker would want to have it in the conventional brick and mortar, which is not only more expensive but also takes longer time to deliver. This is frequently cited as a reason for the housing deficit in the country estimated at 17 million units. As part of efforts at bridging
- Mr. Chef launches innovative seasoning cubes to boost customer satisfaction - Mr. Chef, one of Nigeria’s most preferred food seasonings, has launched a market changing 10-in-1 packs of seasoning cubes in response to customer demands. The introduction of the money-saving initiative was part of Mr. Chef’s two instant big win incentives announced to distributors and wholesalers at a launch event held in Abuja recently. The 10-in-1
- Radware signs distributorship agreement with ConSol - Radware, a leading provider of application delivery and application security solutions for virtual and cloud data centres, has signed an agreement with Contact Solutions Limited (ConSol), a leading ICT and customer management solutions provider, for the distribution of Radware solutions in Nigeria. With the new agreement, ConSol becomes Radware’s official channel distributor/partner responsible for the
- Stanbic IBTC Business Leadership forum reaffirms confidence in economy - A new chapter in the systematic nurturing of new age business leaders opened last week with the debut of the Stanbic IBTC Business Leadership Series. The series is fully dedicated to facilitating the emergence of a new crop of business leaders beholden to excellence, innovation and integrity and capable of optimising the growth in the
- Palmchat motivates users with new incentives - To give users quality reason to stay connected and share their exciting moments, Nigeria’s most trendy mobile social platform, Palmchat has unveiled incentives and special features to give loyal users that world-class experience. Palmchat is a cross-platform multi-media messenger that enables friends to connect across all platforms, and make new friends in diverse fun-filled and
- Forte Oil exceeds forecast with 61.61% rise in profit - Forte Oil reported stronger than expected growth in both profits and sales in the nine months through September 2014, as it continues to improve on efficiency with a view to satisfying customer needs. It would be noted that the downstream giant operational performance had been stellar and impressive since rebounding from the oil subsidy gloom,
- Locally-made Grand arrives dealership - As the Federal Government’s 10-year National Automotive Industrial Development Plan (NAIDP) enters the second year under the automotive policy, Stallion Motors Nigeria Limited said it has started the assembly of Hyundai models inside its VON Assembly plant located along the Lagos-Badagry expressway, Lagos. Last weekend, Stallion Motors presented the four-door Hyundai Grand i10 four-door sedan locally assembled
- NFF invites Amodu, Siasia The Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) has invited the interim coach of the Super Eagles Shuaibu Amodu and head Coach of the National U-23 team, Samson Siasia to appear before its technical committee to defend their programmes for their upcoming assignments. [October 23, 2014]
- Gov’s Cup serves off November 17 With Nigeria certified Ebola free by the World Health Organisation, organisers of the Governor’s Cup have fixed November 17 as the serve off date of this year’;s edition. [October 23, 2014]
- 180 golfers for Southern Sun golf One hundred and eighty golfers will feature in this year’s Southern Sun Ikoyi golf tournament billed to hold November 15 at the Ikoyi Club 1938 golf course. [October 23, 2014]
- Oshoala powers Falcons to World Cup Super Falcons reached the final of the African Women Championship by beating South Africa’s Banyana Banyana 2-1 in a hard fought match at the Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek. [October 23, 2014]
- NPFL: Kano Pillars beat Kaduna United 2-1 - League leaders Kano Pillars Football Club on Wednesday beat visiting Kaduna United FC 2-1 in a week 35 match of the 2013/2014 The Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL). [October 22, 2014]
- Super Eagles take on North African team to open Akwa Ibom Stadium Nov. 6 The Super Eagles will face a team from North Africa in a friendly game as part of activities to formally open the new Akwa Ibom Stadium in Uyo. [October 22, 2014]
- Keshi: Nigeria not a serious football country Former Super Eagles manager Stephen Keshi has thrown a parting shot at Nigerian football, saying the country should stop seeing itself as a serious football nation because it was still lagging behind in many vital areas needed to attain such levels. [October 22, 2014]
- Super Falcons move to final Super Falcons reached the final of the African Women Championship by beating South Africa’s Banyana Banyana 2-1 in a hard fought match at the Sam Nujoma Stadium, Windhoek. [October 22, 2014]
- Ebola, kidnapping stop Gullit from Eagles job The World Health Organisation, WHO, may have declared Nigeria Ebola-free but former Dutch super star Ruud Gullit is alleged to have rejected a chance to coach Nigeria because of the Ebola epidemic e and fears he could be kidnapped in the country. [October 22, 2014]
- Serena slumps to biggest defeat in 16 years Serena Williams won just two games Wednesday as she crashed to her heaviest defeat in 16 years and raised concerns over a knee injury that could dash her hopes at the WTA Finals. [October 22, 2014]
- Ghana yet to decide on 2015 AFCON hosting – President Mahama Ghana’s President John Dramani Mahama says the government has yet to take any decision to host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). [October 22, 2014]
- Ferguson backs ‘formidable’ Van Gaal to revive United Alex Ferguson has said the “formidable” Louis van Gaal is the right man to return Manchester United to winning ways once again. [October 22, 2014]
- Bayern, Shakhtar, Chelsea enter record books Bayern Munich (7-1), Shakhtar Donetsk (7-0) and Chelsea (6-0) all entered the list of biggest wins in the Champions League era on Tuesday night. [October 22, 2014]
- Rodgers ready to spring Real surprise Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has urged his “world-class” players to defy the odds when they face Real Madrid in the Champions League at Anfield on Wednesday. [October 22, 2014]
- Amodu invites Ik Uche, 65 others for Congo, S/Africa Stand-in coach of the Super Eagles, Shuaibu Amodu yesterday in Abuja revealed that he has lined up a legion of 66 players including in-form Villarreal of Spain striker, Ikechukwu Uche for the two remaining matches of the 2015 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers against Congo and South Africa. [October 22, 2014]
- NFF hosts Corporate Nigeria to grand ball in Lagos The new Executive Committee of Nigeria Football Federation takes it bonding with partners and potential partners to a new height on Friday when it hosts the crème-de-la-crème of Corporate Nigeria to a grand ball at the Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos. The event will start at 5pm. [October 22, 2014]
- Go for goals, .NSA urges Falcons The organizers of Nigerian Sports award, Unmissable Incentives Limited yesterday hailed the Nigerian female national football team- Super Falcons for their impressive performance at the on-going African Women Championship (AWC) in Namibia. [October 22, 2014]
- Play with your hearts, Pinnick charges Falcons NFF President Amaju Pinnick has charged the Senior Women National Team, Super Falcons, to play with all their heart when confronting the Banyana Banyana of South Africa in the semi finals of the 9th African Women Championship in Namibia on Wednesday. [October 22, 2014]
- Bayana must fall – Falcons Super Falcons central defender Onome Ebi has said today’s semi final clash with Bayana Bayana of South Africa is key to their hope of reclaiming the title they lost two years ago in Equatorial Guinea. [October 22, 2014]
- Apu’s new FIBA Zone 3 administrative secretary Basketball writer and columnist of the Sun Publishing Limited, Joseph Apu has been appointed the administrative secretary of the FIBA Africa Zone 3 board which was reconstituted in Burkina Faso yesterday. [October 22, 2014]
- NBL Open Chess Championship ends in Lagos Former National Champions Bomo Kigigha and Labake Coker emerged top from the pool of top players at the just concluded 37th edition of Nigerian Breweries Plc International Chess Championship. [October 22, 2014]
- CAF to inspect Akwa Ibom Stadium for Eagles, Bafana cracker The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has agreed to send its officials to inspect the brand –new Akwa Ibom International Stadium, Uyo, which is being put forward by Nigeria as venue for next month’s 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between the Super Eagles and Bafana Bafana of South Africa. [October 22, 2014]
- Bayern in seventh heaven after Roma massacre Five-time European champions Bayern Munich took a huge step towards qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League with a remarkable 7-1 rout of Roma at a stunned Stadio Olimpico on Tuesday. [October 21, 2014]
- Drogba on target in Chelsea rout of Maribor Didier Drogba scored his first goal since returning to Chelsea as Jose Mourinho’s side took control of Champions League Group G with a crushing 6-0 victory over Maribor at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday. [October 21, 2014]
- AWC: Cash crunch hits Falcons The Super Falcons have not been paid their winning bonuses and allowances since their victory over hosts, Namibia, but the Nigerian women have refused to be distracted, because they are looking at the bigger picture of reaching the final and winning the trophy. [October 21, 2014]
- Falcons are superior – Bayana Bayana coach Banyana Banyana’s coach Vera Pauw has acknowledged that Nigeria’s Super Falcons have the advantage as they clash in today’s semi-final match of the 9th African Women Championship. [October 21, 2014]
- Don’t lower your guards until you get World Cup ticket, AWC trophy, Danagogo charges Falcons Sports Minister Tammy Danagogo has urged the Super Falcons not to lower their guards until they have won the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup ticket and African Women Championship (AWC). [October 21, 2014]
- UCL Preview: Di Matteo leads ‘revived’ Schalke, Chelsea target first home win Roberto di Matteo, who won the Champions League with Chelsea as coach in 2012, leads his new club Schalke in the competition for the first time. The Italian got off to a winning start with the Gelsenkirchen side, leading them to a 2-0 win over Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga on Saturday. And now they could desperately do with another victory after drawing their opening two matches in Group G. [October 21, 2014]
- Champions League: Barcelona seek redemption, PSG to consolidate French champions PSG have yet to lose in this campaign despite rarely performing anywhere near their free-flowing best from last season. However, they were outstanding in defeating Barcelona 3-2 three weeks ago and are fresh from a 3-1 win against Lens in Ligue 1 on Friday. [October 21, 2014]
- Man City to punish Ahmed Musa’s CSKA Moscow, Roma dare Guardiola’s Bayern After taking just one point from their opening two matches, Premier League champions City go to Russia to face CSKA still looking for their first win. [October 21, 2014]
- UCL Preview: Shakhtar, Porto, Bilbao in must win This encounter at the Borisov Arena is likely to be pivotal to both teams’ chances of progressing from Group H, with BATE second on three points from two games and Shakhtar a point behind. BATE, who have won eight consecutive Belarusian titles, are unbeaten at their recently-opened new stadium. Indeed, they have not lost at home in more than a year. [October 21, 2014]
- Pistorius sentenced to five years jail for killing girlfriend South African Paralympian star sprinter Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday for the killing of his girlfriend last year, as his sensational trial reached a climax. [October 21, 2014]