IG-warns-against-illegal-deployment-of-policemen">August 2, 2015 : Remi Latinwo
- Death Row Soldiers Sue Army for Contempt [Leadership] Soldiers in the Nigerian Army who were recently sentenced to death by a military court martial have initiated contempt proceedings against the Chief of Army Staff over non-release of the record of proceedings that convicted and sentenced them to death.
- Army Discovers Bomb-Making Factory [Premium Times] Boko Haram terrorists converted an abandoned chemistry laboratory at Dikwa College of Education in Borno State, to a bomb-making factory, before the town was retaken by government troops last week, the Nigerian military said Saturday.
- Super Falcons Ready for Rio Battle in Bata [CAF] Africa champions, Super Falcons of Nigeria failed to qualify for the London 2012 Olympic Games and their fate for Rio 2016 Olympics appears hanging in the balance yet again after 1-1 draw with Equatorial Guinea in Abuja a fortnight ago in their third round first leg qualifier.
- Soldiers At Checkpoint Beat Driver to Coma [Premium Times] A truck driver was beaten to coma Saturday by soldiers at a stop-and-search checkpoint near the University of Jos students' hostel, along Jos-Bauchi road.
- Osinbajo Assures Children Displaced By Boko Haram of Govt's Support [Premium Times] Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Saturday in Kano, told children displaced by insurgency not to lose hope as the Federal Government was committed to providing for their future.
- Bayelsa Mulls Partnership With FG for Industrial Park [This Day] As states of the federation continued to expand their revenue streams amidst the persistent dwindling of the accruals from crude oil sale, the Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has indicated the states's plan to forward a letter to the Federal Government to seek support for the establishment of a 50-hectare Eco-Industrial Park in the state. The governor who admitted the pressure on states over revenue shortfall in recent times, said the planned industrialisation of the state was intended to attract
- As Capital Market Bows to Sell Pressure [This Day] As a combination of inclement operating environment and sustained dip in prices of oil at the international market continue to shave corporate earnings with the attendant dampening of investors' appetite, Festus Akanbi, in this report, says what should be of concern to the regulators is how to stem the tide of capital flight from the Nigerian economy
- Lafarge Holcim and Repositioning of Nigeria's Cement Market [This Day] LafargeHolcim Ltd, the world's biggest cement firm was born out of the merger of equals between Lafarge and Holcim and made its debut on the Swiss and Paris stock exchanges on July 14. The merger created a company with combined sales of 42 billion dollars and operations in 90 countries. The united group, which has over 180 years of combined experience, aims to usher in a new era of leading-edge technologies and innovations in the building materials industry to address the challenges of the 21st century.
- MFM Splashes N91 Million On 180 First Class Graduates [Guardian] Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries (MFM) on Saturday offered financial rewards of N91 million on its members who graduated in first class from different universities across the country.
- Egwim's Hat-Trick Inspires Earns Dolphins Victory Againstnassarawa United [Guardian] Dolphins Football Club of Port Harcourt striker, Ifeanyi Egwim, on Saturday, attributed his three goals against Nassarawa United in a GLO Premier League match to hard work.
- PDP Crisis Worsens! [Vanguard] Abuja -The battle between the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the secretariat staff deepened, yesterday, as the workers alleged that the National Working Committee (NWC) was "morally repugnant and obsessively corrupt".
- Mark Seeks Improved Funding for Education [This Day] Makurdi -Former Senate President, Senator David Mark has called for improved funding for the education sector in the country in order to save the upcoming generation from oppression and manipulation.
- Coaches, Administrators Anticipate Exciting Glo League Second Stanza [Guardian] Coaches and officials involved in the Globacom Premier League on Saturday expressed optimism that the second stanza of the 2014/2015 league season would inspire better performance.
- NHRC Reiterates Commitment to Protect Rights of People [Guardian] Prof. Bem Angwe, Executive Secretary, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), has reiterated the commission's commitment to ensuring the promotion and protection of human rights of all persons living in Nigeria.
- Aisha Buhari Renders Assistance to Gombe Blast Victims [Guardian] Wife of the President, Hajiya Aisha Buhari, has donated undisclosed amount of money to 48 victims of the recent Gombe bomb blast admitted at the Federal Teaching and Specialists' Hospital (FTH), Gombe.
- Kebbi Gov's Wife Donates Drugs to People Living Positive in Zuru [Guardian] The wife of the Kebbi Governor, Dr. Zainab Atiku, on Saturday donated drugs and food stuff to People Living Positive and drug addicts in Zuru emirate of Kebbi state.
- 71 Percent Anambra People Are Poor, Says Igbuzor [Guardian] A STUDY has shown that more than 71 per cent of Anambra citizens are poor, against the published national average of 69 per cent.
- Aaan, Exman Chart New Roadmap At Oshogbo, Abeokuta Conferences [Guardian] Trade/Marketing Manager Open Market, Precious Muotoh ; a retailer at Mushin Market, Olawunmi Omoware; Harpic Brand Ambassador, Helen Paul; and a Key Distributor for Reckitt Benckiser, Tayo Ojuri at the presentation of gifts to beneficiaries during the open market reward for Harpic All-in-one campaign... recently.
- 'Paramedics Close the Gap Between Doctors and Nurses' [Guardian] Dr Nnamdi Nwauwa is the National Chairman of the Society of Emergency Management Practitioners of Nigeria (SEMPON); Chairman of Emergency Response Group, Chairman of the Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) and Advanced Life Support Providers Association in Nigeria.
- Why Banks Reject Dollar Deposits in Nigeria [Independent (Lagos)] To discourage speculation on the naira, Nigeria's commercial lenders (banks) have stopped accepting cash deposits in dollars.
- 'Why FG's Operation Light Up Rural Nigeria Failed' [This Day] The federal government's planned rural electrification project tagged: Operation Light Up rural Nigeria, which was flagged off by former President Goodluck Jonathan in January 2014 got stalled, because many Nigerians especially those living in the rural areas, believe that electricity is a charity to be doled out by government, THISDAY gathered.
- Cepej Seeks Speedy Payment of Ex-Militants' Allowances [Independent (Lagos)] Asaba -Centre for Peace and Environmental Justice (CEPEJ) has advised the new Coordinator of Amnesty Programme, Brigadier General P. T. Boroh (rtd), to formulate policy framework that would lead to the speedy resolution of recent hitches in the implementation of the Amnesty Programme such as the non-payment of outstanding allowances to ex-militants.
- Beware of 'Fayose Boys', Ekiti Govt Warns [Independent (Lagos)] Lagos -Ekiti State government on Saturday, August 1, 2015, warned its citizens to beware of the criminals parading themselves as Fayose Boys in the state.
- Buhari Arives Benin Republic Over Boko Haram [Independent (Lagos)] President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria on Saturday, August 1, 2015, arrived the neighbouring Benin Republic on a one-day trip to draw support for the war against Boko Haram insurgents in the sub-region.
- Buhari Reinstates Governing Councils of Federal Varsities [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari has reinstated the Governing Councils of Federal universities, which he dissolved two weeks ago.
- Asaba Multimillion Naira Drainage Project Fails, Contractor On the Run [Independent (Lagos)] Asaba -The multimillion naira Asaba drainage Project has been discovered to be faulty, thus rendering the millions spent on the project a waste.
- Nass Leadership - I Wanted to Withdraw - Gbajabiamila [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja -Following his emergence as the Majority Leader of the 8th House of Reps, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila has said that the election that brought in the leadership of the House fell short of the people's expectations even as he said President Muhammadu Buhari and the Party leadership encouraged him to put on the fight for the speakership.
- When Gowon Stirred the Hornet's Nest At Asika's Burial [Independent (Lagos)] Awka -Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon's recent statement, at the burial of late Mrs. Chinyere Ukpabi Asika, wife of the former Sole Administrator of East Central State, Ajie Ukpabi Asika, in Onitsha, that "Nigeria is a better country with Ndigbo," may have ignited fresh debate on the fate of Ndigbo in the present political dispensation.
- Why I Invested N2 Million in Drugs [Independent (Lagos)] Lagos -Strange as it sounds, a 44 year-old drug suspect, Chibude Chide arrested by the operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) actually invested a whooping N2 million in drug business.
- Itsekiri Progress Club Lauds Nass [Independent (Lagos)] Delta based pressure group, the Iteskiri Progress Club, IPC, has lauded members of the National Assembly for successfully resolving the leadership crisis that has rocked proceedings in the House for the past weeks.
- Hank Anuku In Bike Accident In Accra Ghana “I’m Not Dead” – Actor Tells Own Side Of Story
- Majid Michel’s Wedding Photos: Ghallywood Actor & Wife Vena Renew Wedding Vows In Ghana
- Tony Umez: My Wife “Almost Divorced” Me For My Adult Role In Room 027
- Tayo Sobola Sotayo: I’m Not Pregnant For MC Oluomo, We’re Not Married
- Nollywood Actor Chief Kanran To Mark 50th Anniversary On Stage With N50 Million
- Nollywood Actress Gloria Young Sues GTB Bank After ATM Refuses To Dispense Money Deducted From Account
- Photos: Ebube Nwagbo’s Mini Outfit Raises Eyebrows At BON 2015 Launch
- Nigerian Actor Ajigijaga Dies Of Infection After Bike Accident Bcos Colleagues Abandon Him – Family
- Yoruba Actor Ajigijaga Is Dead: Mufutau Adio Sanni Dies Of Infection After Bike Accident
- Seun Akindele & Tamara Eteimo Pick “Wedding Date”, Funsho Adeolu, Rachel Oniga & Others To Attend
- Joke Silva & Husband Olu Jacobs Step Out For Photos After Mother’s Funeral Mass
- Yoruba Actress Kehinde Bankole Turns Gospel Singer, Releases Igbo Blend English Song
- Movie Producers Dump Tonto Dikeh, Actress Says She’s Now An Engineer
- Fraudster Says Satan Told Him To Bring More Souls To Illuminati Temple In Nigeria
- Husband Catches Wife Sleeping With Lover In Bayelsa,Christmas Commits Suicide Bcos Wife Is Unfaithful
- Baby Making Factory Found In Asaba Delta State, 8 Pregnant Girls Rescued, Operator Arrested
- Photos: Barber Beheaded, Murdered By Friend In Uyo Akwa Ibom State, Suspect Arrested By Police
- 37 Billion Naira Looted By GEJ Minister, Labaran Maku Found Hidden In Nasarawa Farm
- Woman Kills Knife-Wielding Robber Who Attacks Family In Surulere
- Photos: Man Commits Suicide In Ondo State, Depressed Farmer Hangs Self At Ori Oke Farm, Ero
- Photo: Kidnappers Of Kogi High Judge Justice Samuel Obayomi
- Operation Flush: Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS Arrests 247 Illegal Immigrants In Adamawa
- Photo: Kidnappers Arrested On Their Way To Sell Stolen Baby In Abia State, 14-Month Old Rescued
- 3 Bus Drivers Working For Kidnappers Arrested In Ekiti State
- Nigerian Military Begins Operation End Boko Haram, Army Engineers Set Fire On Terrorists Camps
- Chadian Troops Kill 117 Boko Haram Militants Launching Attacks From Islands On Lake Chad
Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal finally defeats Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea at the 14th attempt to win the 2015 Community Shield. Oxlade Chamberlains first half volley was enough to give the Gunners the trophy. It ended Arsenal 1, Chelsea 0.
IG warns against illegal deployment of policemen The Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Arase, has warned senior police officers against illegally deploying policemen to provide security for Very Important Persons who do not have the right to such services. Arase stated that he would punish Divisional Police Officers and other senior officers found engaging in illegal deployment of junior officers, stressing that he Leave-a-Comment-
The-body-of-a-23-year-old-lady-has-been-dumped-at-a-dump-site-at-the-Olomoore-junction-in-Abeokuta-metropolis,-with-some-persons-of-the-body-already-removed.-The-victim’s-name-was-given-as-Sitira,-and-said-to-be-an-apprentice-hairdresser.-Before-her-tragic-death,-she-was-said-to-have-completed-her-apprenticeship-and… [Read-More…]-Dickson-appoints-10-new-special-advisers">August 2, 2015 : Samuel Awoyinfa, Abeokuta
The body of a 23-year-old lady has been dumped at a dump site at the Olomoore junction in Abeokuta metropolis, with some persons of the body already removed. The victim’s name was given as Sitira, and said to be an apprentice hairdresser. Before her tragic death, she was said to have completed her apprenticeship and… [Read More…]
Dickson appoints 10 new special advisers Bayelsa State Governor, Mr. Seriake Dickson, has sworn in 10 newly appointed special advisers, with a call on them to be committed and loyal to his administration’s agenda by discharging their duties to the best of their abilities. Dickson administered the swearing in of the special advisers at the Government House, Yenagoa, on Saturday. He 2-Comments-
The-General-Secretary-of-Yoruba-socio-cultural-organisation,-Afenifere,-Chief-Sehinde-Arogbofa,-has-declared-that-the-report-of-the-National-Conference-is-not-against-northern-interest.-He-said-against-the-backdrop-of-report-that-some-Arewa-leaders-wrote-the-President-Muhammadu-Buhari-not-to-implement-the-confab-report-on-the-ground-that-it-is -anti-North.-Arogbofa… [Read-More…]-FRSC-to-train-trailer,-tanker-drivers">August 2, 2015 : Ade Akanbi, Akure
The General Secretary of Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Afenifere, Chief Sehinde Arogbofa, has declared that the report of the National Conference is not against northern interest. He said against the backdrop of report that some Arewa leaders wrote the President Muhammadu Buhari not to implement the confab report on the ground that it is anti-North. Arogbofa… [Read More…]
FRSC to train trailer, tanker drivers In a bid to end incessant fatal road crashes involving petrol tankers and trailers, the Federal Road Safety Corps has said it would soon begin the training and retraining of trailer and tanker drivers in the country. The FRSC Zonal Commander, RS 6.0, Port Harcourt, Mr. Bulus Darwang, who disclosed this while speaking in Port 2-Comments-
The-Divisional-Crime-Officer-in-charge-of-Ariaria-Police-Division-Aba,-Abia-State,-simply-identified-as-Mr.-Mohammed,-an-Assistant-Superintendent-of-Police,-narrowly-escaped-lynching-by-an-irate-mob-over-alleged-killing-of-traders.-The-incident,-which-occurred-on-Friday,-disrupted-business-activities-around-the-market-and-some-parts-of-Faulks-road,-according-to… [Read-More…]-Jigawa-dissolves-YCN-leadership">August 2, 2015 : Stephen Ukandu, Umuahia
The Divisional Crime Officer in charge of Ariaria Police Division Aba, Abia State, simply identified as Mr. Mohammed, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, narrowly escaped lynching by an irate mob over alleged killing of traders. The incident, which occurred on Friday, disrupted business activities around the market and some parts of Faulks road, according to… [Read More…]
Jigawa dissolves YCN leadership Governor Muhammad Badaru of Jigawa state, has approved the dissolution of the executive committee of the state chapter of Youth Council of Nigeria. This is contained in a statement signed by the Secretary to the state Government, Alhaji Adamu Abdulkadir,which was made available to the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Dutse. It said 1-Comment-
LAGBUS-Asset-Management-Company,-operators-of-Lagos-metropolitan-red-buses,-on-Sunday-said-it-was-ready-to-engage-more-females-as-drivers-in-its-fleet.-The-Managing-Director-of-LAGBUS,-Mr.-Babatunde-Disu,-gave-this-indication-in-an-interview-with-the-News-Agency-of-Nigeria-in-Lagos.-Disu-noted-that-female-drivers-were-more-caring… [Read-More…]-UN-peacekeeper-killed-in-CAR-clashes">August 2, 2015 : NAN
LAGBUS Asset Management Company, operators of Lagos metropolitan red buses, on Sunday said it was ready to engage more females as drivers in its fleet. The Managing Director of LAGBUS, Mr. Babatunde Disu, gave this indication in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos. Disu noted that female drivers were more caring… [Read More…]
UN peacekeeper killed in CAR clashes At least one soldier with the UN peackeeping mission in Central African Republic was killed on Sunday during clashes with armed assailants in a northern neighbourhood of the capital Bangui, a spokesman for the mission said. Residents said heavy machinegun fire was heard around 3 a.m. (0200 GMT) and it continued for several hours in 1-Comment-
The-retrial-of-three-Al-Jazeera-journalists-has-been-adjourned-for-a-tenth-time-in-Egypt.-The-court-in-Cairo-said-on-Sunday-that-a-verdict-in-the-case-would-now-be-delivered-on-August-29.-Egyptian-Baher-Mohamed,-Canadian-Mohamed-Fahmy-and-Australian-Peter-Greste-were-found-guilty-in-June-2014-of-aiding-a… [Read-More…]-N’Delta-JTF-destroys-31-illegal-refineries,-arrests-18">August 2, 2015 : aljazeera
The retrial of three Al Jazeera journalists has been adjourned for a tenth time in Egypt. The court in Cairo said on Sunday that a verdict in the case would now be delivered on August 29. Egyptian Baher Mohamed, Canadian Mohamed Fahmy and Australian Peter Greste were found guilty in June 2014 of aiding a… [Read More…]
N’Delta JTF destroys 31 illegal refineries, arrests 18 The Joint Task Force in the Niger Delta, “Operation Pulo Shield,” says it arrested 18 suspected oil thieves and destroyed 31 illegal oil refineries in multiple raids in July. This is contained in a statement issued by the Media Coordinator of the JTF in Yenagoa, Lt.-Col. Isa Ado, on Sunday. It stated that troops of
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week This week in technology we take a look at the Top 3 translator apps to use when travelling in Africa. Also gracing the headlines this week was Microsoft. The software giant has officially launched its highly anticipated operating system, Windows 10. This week we also saw the launch of Airbnb in South Africa. To add to [&hellip...
- TransUnion appoints new CEO TransUnion, a provider of global information solutions for assessing and managing risk, has revealed the appointment of Derick De Vries as CEO of TransUnion Auto Information Solutions. According to the company, De Vries has also been appointed Senior Vice...
- Cloud backups: The difference between life and death of data Over the past two years the uptake of pure cloud backup by smaller businesses has burgeoned as the idea of saving company data to the cloud has become easier for companies to digest, and bandwidth has become faster and cheaper. Securicom’s Richard Broeke...
- Nigeria: Drone Club wins Tech+ 2015 award The Drone Club has won the MTN/Mahindra Comviva Most Innovative Exhibitor Award at the Tech+ conference. The conference was held at Eko Hotels and Suites in Lagos. The award was received by DJ Tee and James Amuta, whose companies are pioneer members of the...
- Public health association joins Healthcare Innovation Summit The Public Health Association of South Africa (PHASA) has been confirmed as a strategic partner for the upcoming 2015 Healthcare Innovation Summit. PHASA is a voluntary organisation of individuals passionate about population health improvements and the...
- Social media lashes out at death of Cecil the Lion Cecil the lion – the most famous creature in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park – was killed by an American hunter according to a report via the Telegraph. The report reveals that Walter James Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota in the United States,...
- Video Interview: Edward Lawrence discusses Africa Media Exchange Africa’s first media exchange platform, the Africa Media Exchange (AMX), was present at the 2015 Mediatech Africa Expo. Also in attendance was the AMX founding partners Workonline Communications and Teraco Data Environments. According to both companies, AMX...
- Top IT security issues to consider when migrating to a new OS Major events in the IT landscape, such as the availability of a new operating system (OS), cannot go by unnoticed, because they affect businesses of all shapes and sizes. Many will ask themselves “should we migrate to a new version and if yes –...
- Is Cloud technology key for SA businesses to compete globally? The US Deloitte 2014 Report on Technology, conducted among mid-market business executives, revealed that 39% of the respondents believed that cloud technology has the potential to produce the greatest productivity gains for their business. The same is true in...
- Windows 10: Top voice commands to use with Cortana Windows 10 has been released, and along with it users will find a new digital personal assistant application, which has been dubbed “Cortana.” The application is essentially controlled by voice commands and allows you to check the weather...
- BCX unveils pay-as-you-go service for Windows Azure Pack As the only gold certified Microsoft Cloud Operating System Network (COSN) partner in Africa, Business Connexion (BCX) has launched the first pay-as-you-go service for Windows Azure Pack out of its carrier-neutral, certified Tier IV data centre. According to...
- You’ve invested in SAP, but where’s the business value? It is a truth universally known that many companies find it difficult to keep up with the ever-changing needs and demands of today’s consumer, to say nothing of the challenges that lie in innovating ways to remain at the forefront of success. This has,...
- Windows 10 launches, available in 190 countries Microsoft has official launched Windows 10. According to the company, Windows 10 will be available from today (29/07/2015) available as a free upgrade or with new PCs and tablets. Microsoft revealed that Windows 10 will include Cortana, an Xbox app and...
- African skills initiative receives USD 60 mln investment IBM has invested a sum of USD 60 million over three years to develop the next generation of technical talent in Africa. As part of the initiative, IBM is expanding the Africa Technical Academy and the company’s Africa University Programme to over 20...
- Africell receives USD 35 mln investment The International Finance Corporation (IFC) revealed that it will invest USD 35 million in telecom operator Africell. According to the IFC, the investment is intended to support the expansion and upgrade of mobile networks in Gambia, the DRC, Sierra Leone and...
- BCX sees tremendous untapped potential in Tanzania Tanzania has tremendous untapped potential. According to the World Bank, the economy is set to grow by an estimated 7.2% this year and the government’s significant investment in the national fibre optic cable increases business and citizen access to...
I defeated Umeh squarely – Senator Ekwunife
FROM EMMANUEL UZOR, ABAKALIKI Senator Uche Ekwunife representing Anambra Central Senatorial zone has raised the… ...Confab recommendation not binding on Buhari –Waku
BY OMONIYI SALAUDEEN The fear that President Muhammadu Buhari may dump the recommendation of the… ...Why PDP’ll never rule Lagos – Lanre Odubote ex-Rep
BY CHIDI OBINECHE Hon Lanre Odubote represented Epe Federal Constituency in the 7th Assembly. A… ...Raging fire over Senate forgery allegations
Can the police dabble into the internal affairs of the Senate? If the police cannot,… ...‘Buhari must not dump Confab report’
FROM: AKINWALE IJANUSI, Jalingo Mr. TM YERIMA , a political analyst and a frontline public affairs… ...Bayelsa Guber: If Dickson loses to APC, then Ijaw nation is conquered –Chief Okorotie
FROM FEMI FOLARANMI, YENAGOA The name of Chief Thompson Okorotie popularly known as TKO in… ...Quest for public office in Nigeria still driven by corruption – Prof Odinkalu
Former Director General of the Nigerian Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Prof. Chidi Odinkalu, has said… ...Buhari discriminating against Ndigbo – Uwazurike
President of Aka Ikenga, the Igbo intelligentsia group, Chief Goddy Uwazurike, has said that President… ...Produce APC membership card of DG-DSS or keep quiet, APC tells PDP
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has insisted that the DG of DSS, Mr. Lawal Daura,… ...Election petition: Tribunal fixes August 10 for Abia guber trial
FROM CHUKS ONUOHA, UMUAHIA The Abia Governorship Election Petition Tribunal on Friday fixed August 10 for… ...Pregnant Nigerian woman murdered in Ghana
BY GBOYEGA ADEOYE She was in the throes of childbirth and needed to get to… ...DG DSS, card carrying member of APC, PDP insists
FROM: TAIWO AMODU, ABUJA The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has again restated its claim that… ...Senators laud Saraki’s reconciliatory moves
The Senator representing Niger North District, Senator Aliyu Abdullahi, has commended the Senate President, Dr.… ...N4bn WAEC debt: 402,000 candidates may forfeit 2015 admissions
BY GABRIEL DIKE No fewer than 402,000 candidates who sat for the May/ June Senior… ...Varsity governing councils exempted from dissolution –FG
FROM JULIANA TAIWO-OBALONYE, ABUJA President Muhammadu Buhari has approved that the Governing Councils of federal… ...N4b WAEC debt: 402,000 candidates’ may lose University admission
Again management keeps sealed lips on names of owing states By GABRIEL DIKE No fewer… ...Warri boils as 2 police officers suffer gunshot injuries in NURTW clash
From Paul Osuyi and Emma Ogoigbe There is tension in oil-rich city of Warri, Delta… ...Nigeria assumes UN Security Council presidency
Nigeria will today, assume the one-month rotational Presidency of the United Nations (UN) Security Council… ...Gunmen kill 8 in Benue
FROM ROSE EJEMBI, MAKURDI No fewer than eight persons were yesterday feared killed in Zaki-Biam,… ...Boko Haram: Buhari directs release of N5b FG’s pledge to Victims Support Fund
FROM JULIANA TAIWO-OBALONYE, ABUJA President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Head of Service of the Federation,… ...NCAA, NIMET, NCAT threatened by huge debt from airlines
All is not well with the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) as a huge debt owed the regulatory agency appears to be hampering the discharge of some of its statutory duties in the industry. ...SEC shuts down Onitsha, Ibadan, Kaduna offices
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has disclosed plans to conclude all processes associated with dematerialisation in the nation’s capital market by December 31, 2015. ...FG urged to grant new businesses 10-year tax holiday
THE Federal Government has been urged to grant 10 years tax holiday for all new ventures with less than N120 million turnovers, to enable them build and increase their chances of survival. ...N23bn rice duty debt: Customs to shut down Intercontinental Hotels
The last may not have been heard of the ongoing battle by the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) to recover over N23 billion rice duty allegedly evaded by five giant rice-importing companies, as the famous Intercontinental Hotels Lagos might be shut down this week over the raging issue. ...Nigeria to lose $1.3trn on EPA agreement
From Juliana Taiwo-Obalonye, Abuja Stakeholders have warned the Federal Government against signing the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA)… ...PenCom advocates pension fund investment in AU agenda for 2063
By Maduka Nweke The National Pension Commission (PenCom) has said that its cardinal aim in… ...FBN, Freedom Park, British Council to boost creative industry for revenue generation
By Blaise Udunze As part of efforts to boost the creative industry for revenue generation,… ...FG should invest in data management infrastructure –IIM
By Olabisi Olaleye The Institute of Information Management (IIM) has said that the Federal Government… ...Lagos plans tax incentives to boost capital development
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, on Tuesday assured visiting UK-Nigeria Emerging Capital Market Taskforce of the readiness of his administration to provide tax and ...NERC revokes licences of 27 generation firms
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has issued notice of revocation of operating licences of 27 power generation companies over failure to meet the terms of their contract. The one month notice to the defaulting companies is to elapse within 30 days. ...Drugs not Majek Fashek’s problem –Orits Wiliki
By DEJI AROLOYE Rassam Wiliki, aka Orits Wiliki, has been active in the Nigerian reggae… ...Like mother like daughter: Did Illuminati kill Whitney Houston, Bobbi Kristina?
By TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Cissy Houston must be a sad woman. First she had to… ...Star Trek 2: Tuface, MI rock Makurdi
Makurdi, the capital of Benue State, came alive on Saturday as it played host to… ...Joke Silva buries mum
Bereaved Nollywood actress, Joke Silva, finally laid her mum to rest last week Thursday in… ...WWE legend ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper dead at age 61
WWE legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper died suddenly at his Hollywood home on Friday from cardiac… ...Bobby Kristina’s Brown dies at 22 after months in coma
On Sunday, July 26, Bobbi Kristina Brown, the daughter of Bobby Brown and the… ...Ebenezer Obey drums up supports for Buhari
By CHARLES ADEGBITE Juju music legend, Evangelist Ebenezer Obey Fabiyi, has called on Nigerians to… ...I don’t read books, I only read newspapers –Solomon Okoh, Comedian (a.k.a. Bowjoint)
BY AYO ALONGE [email protected]
Edo State-born comedian Solomon Okoh, popularly known as Bowjoint, is the… ...Bill Cosby Playboy sexual assault case to go ahead
Comedian, Bill Cosby has failed to block a civil case accusing him of sexually assaulting… ...Motherhood transformed me –ChaCha Eke
BY CHRISTIAN AGADIBE It was double for Ebonyi State born actress, ChaCha Eke, who celebrated… ...
- Convergence Partners concludes successful Pan-African ICT infrastructure fund - Opening Nigeria office to provide support for strong West African pipeline… July 28, 2015No CommentRead More SABMiller’s Zimbabwe unit beer sales down on weak economy July 17, 2015 No Comment SABMiller’s Zimbabwean unit Delta Corp. said on Thursday its quarterly lager sales were down 8 percent compared with the same period a year ago, while sorghum beer volumes declined for the first time in five years. Zimbabwe’s largest listed company said sales of the cheaper sorghum beer, which had registered double digit growth since 2009,
- Glo leads in telecom subscriber acquisition for 2015 – NCC report - Globacom, total ICT solutions provider, has beaten the other three major telecom companies, MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, in the race to sign on new subscribers in the first five months of this year. According to subscriber data information for the month of May just released on the website of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Glo
- Transcorp to spend $1.575 bln to boost power capacity by 2018 - Transcorp plans to spend $1.575 billion to quadruple its power capacity to 2,500 megawatts (MW) over the next three years and provide a quarter of all power generated in Nigeria. Transcorp, which also has interests in hotels, oil and gas, has the capacity to generate 610 MW and intends to raise that to 850 MW
- Orange links Nigeria with two more countries on $700m cable - Orange, a leading multinational telecoms operator, on Thursday, announced the connection of Benin Republic and the Canary Islands to the Africa Coast to Europe (ACE) submarine cable, linking them on the digital facility with Nigeria and other preexisting user countries. An essential part of the Group’s broadband network in Africa, the cable’s construction amounts to
- ‘Sustainable profit, cash flow key to optimal financial performance’ - For any business to reach its opti- mal financial per- formance, it must achieve sustainable growth in profit, strong cash flow and optimal capital, which has to be measured and managed over time. This was the position of Henry Machame, a finan- cial expert and consultant, during the CEO Business Strategy Session organised by FROT
- Terminal operator bemoans inconsistent policies at ports - … as Council set to audit operators Rigo Nazzari, general manager, Five Star Logistics Limited, yesterday, said inconsistent government policies at ports had been having adverse effects on operations of the terminal, as the Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC) unveiled its plan to audit the operations of private terminal operators to attain operational efficiency. Nazzari said
- NAHCO’s new tariff receives NCAA’s approval - The Nigerian Civil Aviation Author- ity (NCAA) has ap- proved the recent 20 percent cargo tariff increase being implemented by the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company plc (NAHCO Aviance). Tayo Ajakaye, manager, communications and cor- porate services of NAHCO, said this in a statement on Wednesday in Lagos. NAH- CO provides aircraft, pas- senger, and cargo
- SevenUp Bottling says 2015 pretax profit up 14.8 pct - Nigeria’s Seven-Up Bottling Co said on Tuesday its pretax profit in the year to March 31 rose to 8.75 billion naira ($44 million), up 14.8 percent from the previous year. Revenue rose to 82.45 billion naira during the 12-month period from 77.89 billion naira, the company said in a filing with the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
- Sokoto Cement Company earmarks N 48 bn. for expansion project - The Cement Company of Northern Nigeria (CCCN), on Tuesday said it would inject N48 billion into the ongoing modernisation of its facilities meant to double its production capacity. Managing Director of the company, Alf Karlsen disclosed this in Wamakko, Sokoto State while distributing 2,600 bags of cement worth N6 million to 60 communities, as part