- Ebola: 59 persons under watch •All inbound passengers for screening •Hospital where victim died shut
- 2 female suicide bombers strike in Kano •Kill 3, injure 7
- Glasgow 2014: Okagbare claims Nigeria's 3rd gold Wins 100m
- I’ll contest 2015 gov poll, Ladoja insists
- Anti-gay law: 10 US senators want Nigeria sanctioned
- Female suicide bomber blown up in kano •5 die as explosion rocks Catholic church
- Buhari’s death would have caused upheaval —Jonathan •APC demands international probe
- Ebola: US doctor contracts disease in Liberia •Nigeria steps up surveillance
- Eid-el-fitri: Sambo, govs, Sultan, others felicitate with Muslims
- New number plate: No deadline for enforcement —FRSC
- We won’t surrender to terrorists •Jonathan tells Nigerians at Sallah •Mark, Atiku, others greet Muslims •IGP places policemen on red alert
- Suicide bombers can’t make heaven, Sultan tells Boko Haram
- Attack on Buhari: FG, PDP responsible —Aregbesola’s campaign DG •Look among yourselves for his attackers —PDP
- OSUN DECIDES: ‘Opon Imo’ controversy •Why we used police to retrieve device from students —Govt •We are vindicated —PDP
- Boko Haram sends foreign aids, businesses packing in Northern Cameroon
- Buhari’s bomber dressed like woman, nabbed •Police IG probes attack
- 3 female suicide bomber kill several in Nigeria KANO, Nigeria (AP) — A woman blew herself up at a petrol station in northern Nigeria on Monday, killing three people in one of three suicide bombings by females in Kano in two days, police said.
- Five dead in bombing of church in north Nigeria's Kano Nigeria's northern city of Kano on Sunday cancelled celebrations to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan after two bomb attacks blamed on the Islamist group Boko Haram. At least five people were killed and eight were injured in a bomb attack on a Catholic church in a mainly Christian area of the city, the largest in Nigeria's north, police said. "We suspect an IED (improvised ...
- Nigeria death shows Ebola can spread by air travel ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigerian health authorities raced to stop the spread of Ebola on Saturday after a man sick with one of the world's deadliest diseases brought it by plane to Lagos, Africa's largest city with 21 million people.
- Nigeria to Cameroon Wracked by Islamist Militant Attacks Islamist militants intensified operations in Nigeria and neighboring Cameroon as they kidnapped a senior politician’s wife and targeted Muslims celebrating Eid, the end of the holy month of Ramadan, with bombs.
- Nigeria's Boko Haram targets top leaders at home and abroad Boko Haram last week tried to assassinate a moderate Muslim prayer leader and a leading contender for Nigeria's presidency. Its latest abductee is the wife of Cameroon's deputy prime minister Amadou Ali.
- Nigeria's Boko Haram targets top leaders at home and abroad (+video) Boko Haram last week tried to assassinate a moderate Muslim prayer leader and a leading contender for Nigeria's presidency. Its latest abductee is the wife of Cameroon's deputy prime minister Amadou Ali.
- Nigeria Shi'ite leader says military kills 3 sons, 30 supporters The leader of Nigeria's minority Shi'ite Muslims accused the military on Saturday of killing three of his sons and 30 of his supporters when they opened fire on a protest the previous day. The Shi'ites were protesting Israeli attacks on Gaza and also marching to observe of a religious holiday, in the northern city of Zaria, where Ibrahim Zakzaky's Islamic Movement of Nigeria is based, when a ...
- Nigeria on red alert after first Ebola death Nigeria was on alert against the possible spread of Ebola on Saturday, a day after the first confirmed death from the virus in Lagos, Africa's biggest city and the country's financial capital. The health ministry said Friday that a 40-year-old Liberian man died at a private hospital in Lagos from the disease, which has now killed more than 650 people in four west African countries since January ...
- Nigeria arrests 1 connected to Kaduna bombings ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigerian security forces are holding one man connected to the Wednesday double bombings in the northern city of Kaduna that targeted a former head of state and a prominent moderate Muslim cleric and killed at least 44 bystanders, according to a defense ministry statement on Friday.
- Nigeria confirms Liberian man died of Ebola in Lagos Nigeria said Friday that Ebola caused the death of a Liberian national who died in quarantine in Lagos, confirmation that the worst-ever outbreak of the virus has reached Africa's most populous country. Nigeria's Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu told journalists that "thorough medical tests" had confirmed "the virus of Ebola" as the cause of death. The 40-year-old, who died overnight, worked for ...
- Cameroon Bolsters Troops Against Boko Haram [Deutsche Welle]Cameroon has deployed huge numbers of its military to the northern part of the country following attacks by the Nigerian Islamist sect Boko Haram, who have taken several high profile hostages in the country.
- Dead Ebola Victim's Contacts Placed Under Surveillance [Leadership]As part of measures to avert the spread of the deadly ebola virus disease, no fewer than 59 contacts of the late Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian patient who died of the disease recently in Lagos, have been placed on close surveillance.
- 20 Million Infected With Hepatitis - Expert [Independent]Benin -A medical expert and former Chairman of Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Edo State chapter, Philip Ugbodaga, on Monday, declared that about 20 million (12 per cent) Nigerians are currently infected with hepatitis B and C.
- Govt Allays Fear of Ebola Outbreak [Guardian]Lagos and Abuja -The Federal Ministry of Health and the Lagos State Government Monday allayed fear of Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreak in the country.
- Okagbare Storms to Gold, Sets Games Record [This Day]Africa's fastest female sprinter, Blessing Okagbare, last night stormed to the 100m gold and a new Commonwealth Games record. The gold medal is the third to be won by Team Nigeria at the ongoing edition of the Games in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Teenage Female Suicide Bombers Strike in Kano [Leadership]Two female suicide bombers blew themselves off and killed three people, injured seven people and two policemen at separate bomb blasts in Kano yesterday.
- KQ, Ministry Assure Travellers Amid Ebola in West Africa [Capital FM]Nairobi -Even as Liberia shut its borders to curb the further spread of the Ebola virus and Nigeria's largest airline, Arik Air, suspended its flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone after flying a Liberian man infected with the virus into Nigeria last week, Health Cabinet Secretary James Macharia and Kenya Airways have allayed fears among Kenyan travellers.
- Zakzaky Speaks - My Sons Were Taken Alive, Then Summarily Executed By Soldiers [Premium Times]The leader of the Islamic Brotherhood in Nigeria, Ibrahim Zakzaky, has accused the Nigerian military of summarily executing two of his sons after their arrests, in addition to a third son killed earlier, allegedly by soldiers.
- TCN Plans 20,000MW Evacuation Capacity By 2020 [This Day]As part of the measures to strengthen the transmission infrastructure to withstand increase in power generation, the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) plans to boost its infrastructure to have the capacity to evacuate 20,000 megawatts of electricity by 2020.
- Letter From Lagos - Wish Liberia Had Done This Much to Curb Ebola [FrontPageAfrica]Lagos -On the day my country, Liberia turned 167, I touched down in Lagos, Nigeria to see for myself what really happened to Patrick Sawyer and how he died.
- Wrestling Will Give Team Nigeria More Medals, Ohaike Promises [Guardian]TEAM Nigeria's chances of adding more medals to her kitty has become brighter with the beginning of the wrestling events at the on-going Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- Country Has Three Million Internally Displaced Persons - UN [Guardian]New York -A UNITED States of America-based Nigerian Christian group, the Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, CANAN yesterday said it is considering sending a petition to the US government to release some of the interests accrued on looted Nigerian funds in America to cater for the welfare of terrorism victims in Nigeria.
- Female Suicide Bombers Strike Again in Kano [Vanguard]KANO--Panic gripped residents of the ancient city of Kano, yesterday, as two female suicide bombers struck the city within five hours of each other, killing five persons less than 24 hours after another set of bombers blasted the city, killing six persons.
- Nigerian Ambassador, Three Ecowas Staff, 55 Others Had Contact With Lagos Ebola Victim - - Idris [Vanguard]The Lagos State Government disclosed, yesterday, that the Nigerian Ambassador to Liberia, Chigozie Obi Nnadozie, three staff of the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, and 55 others had contact with the victim of Ebola Virus Disease, EVD, Patrick Sawyer, who died in Lagos, last Thursday.
- We're Still Angry Over Last Population Census - Niger Govt [Vanguard]Minna--Niger State government has said that it is still angry over the outcome of the last national population census in the country, saying that the state was grossly under counted.
- Petroleum to Contribute U.S.$108 Billion to Nigeria's GDP - - Mckinsey Report [Vanguard]Despite the challenges of insecurity, Nigeria's ongoing struggle with poverty and withheld investments by the international oil companies, IOCs, the oil and gas sector has the potential to contribute about $108 billion yearly by 2030, up from $73 billion in 2013, a McKinsey Report has stated.
- Nigeria Can Explode Anytime, Warns Ex-Ohanaeze Leader [Vanguard]UMUAHIA -- FORMER President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr. Dozie Ikedife, has described Nigeria as an inflammable commodity that could explode anytime.
- Dealing With the Ebola Virus Threat [This Day]There is urgent need to create awareness to contain the spread of the disease
- Chibok - 100 Days, Counting [Vanguard]WEDNESDAY, 23 July, marked 100 days since the abduction of 279 female students of Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State. The circumstances of the 14 April abduction were graphic portrayals of the failure of government and leadership at different levels.
- TCN Plans U.S.$8 Billion Investment, Targets 20,000MW Electricity [Leadership]Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) plans to inject $8 billion into its operations to achieve 20,000 megawatts electricity supply in the country, its executive director, Mohammed Shaike, has disclosed.
- Commonwealth Games - Okagbare Wins Gold, Sets Games Record [Leadership]Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare won women's gold medal at the ongoing Commonwealth Games yesterday.
- U.S. Group Mobilises for Protest Against Jonathan [Leadership]A group yesterday called on Nigerians in Diaspora to prepare for a protest against President Goodluck Jonathan in Washington DC.
- Despite Blasts, Emir Sanusi Perform 'Hawan Daushe' Durbah [Leadership]Kano emir, His Eminence, Muhammad Sanusi II, has performed a traditional evening 'Sallah 'durbah (Hawan Daushe/ Hawan Babban Daki) yesterday.
- The Ebola Question - Bringing the Virus Under Control [Daily Trust]Ebola has been in the spotlight this year, but even more so this week with the death on Friday of Patrick Sawyer, 40.
- President Jonathan Paying Lip Service to Free, Fair Elections - APC [Vanguard]The All Progressives Congress (APC) has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to walk his talk as far as the organization of free and fair elections in the country is concerned, saying all the assurances so far given by the President have not translated into credible elections.
- Ebola Virus - Liberian Envoy Urges Regional Collaboration to Combat Disease [This Day]The Ambassador of Liberia to Nigeria, Dr. Al-Hassan Conteh has called on all countries in West African sub-region to collaborate to combat the spread of the deadly Ebola virus as it poses a major threat.
- Teen Female Bombers Strike in Kano Again [Daily Trust]Kano and Abuja -.Sallah event, kerosene queue targeted, 5 killed
- Patrick Sawyer Body Cremated [NEWS]The body of the first victim of Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria, who died in Lagos on Friday, has been cremated.
- Sorrows of a Chibok Mum [This Day]Rebecca Ejifoma writes a moving story of one of the mothers of the over 200 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents at Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State
- Police Confirm Death of Two Female Bombers, Three Others in Kano Blasts [Guardian]THE Police in Kano on Monday confirmed the death of two female bombers in separate bomb blasts in Kano.
News Presidency didn’t give us N100m – Chibok community The Chibok community in Abuja, has denied reports that it collected a N100 million largess during its meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa on July 22,2014.The Chairman of the community, Tsambido Abana, described as false allegations that the largess was shared among the parents and that some were short changed by the
Buhari: APC insists on international probe The All Progressives Congress has reiterated its call for an international probe of the attack on Maj. General Muhammad Buhari (retd.) and Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi. The party repeated this call in an Eid-El-Fitr message to Nigerians as contained in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Tuesday. Mohammed said it was
Well make Osun South-West business hub – Omisore The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the forthcoming gubernatorial election in Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore, has promised to make governance a worthwhile venture in order to make the state the hub of business activity in the South-West. Omisore, who said this through his running mate, Mr. Adejare Bello, said his PDP government
I’ll win Rivers gov poll if I contest -Wike The Minister of State for Education and the leader of the Peoples Democratic Party in Rivers State, Chief Nyesom Wike, has declared that he will win the 2015 governorship election in the state if he decides to run. Wike explained that those clamouring for Governor Rotimi Amaechi did not have what it would take to
Ogun warns intending pilgrims on medical screening The Ogun State Muslims Pilgrims Welfare Board has warned all intending pilgrims to this year’s Hajj against evading the five-day inoculation/medical screening.The secretary of the Board, Alhaji Sefiu Rasheed, in a statement made available to our correspondent on Tuesday said any intending pilgrim who failed to appear for the exercise might lose their chances of
Fani-Kayode challenges APC to explain links with BHaram Former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode has again challenged the All Progressives Congress to explain its relationship with the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram, saying the party was not able to controvert him, few months ago, when he accused it of sponsoring the sect. While speaking with journalists in Osogbo, Osun State capital, after
Nigerian gold-medalist tests positive to drugs Chika Amalaha, Nigerias 2014 Commonwealth Games weightlifting gold medallist will have her B sample tested on Wednesday after her A sample revealed traces of banned substances. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Mike Hooper, the Chief Executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said on Tuesday that Amalaha tested positive for diuretics and masking agents
Scientists demand emergency response mechanism to Ebola virus Scientists under the aegis of the Association of Medical Laboratory Scientists of Nigeria in Cross River State are calling on the Federal Government to urgently put in place effective emergency response mechanism to prevent the outbreak of the Ebola virus in the country. They made their position known on Tuesday at a one-day workshop in
Emir of Ilorin cancels Sallah homage to gov The Emir of Ilorin Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari and the Kwara State Government have cancelled the monarchs traditional yearly sallah homage to the state governor. The Emir, our correspondent in Ilorin gathered on Tuesday, also decided to celebrate this year’s sallah in low key to commiserate with the nation as well as the families of victims
Dependence on oil, resource control may split Nigeria – Senator Chairman, Senate Committee on Petroleum Resources ( Downstream ), Senator Magnus Abe, on Tuesday expressed the fears that the over-reliance on oil by the Nigerian government and the current fight over resource control in the country could split the nation if not handled with care.Abe, the representative of the Rivers South East Senatorial District at
Jonathan commiserates with El-Rufai on son’s death President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday commiserated with a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, on the death of his son, Hamza.In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, the President expressed the belief that the outpouring of support at this moment by his friends and
Commonwealth Games Federation queries Nigeria over jersey The Commonwealth Games Federation has queried the Nigeria Olympic Committee over the inconsistency in the use of jerseys by its athletes at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. An official of Team Nigeria, who spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria in Glasgow on Tuesday, on condition of anonymity, said the federation warned Nigeria
- Video Interview: Isaac Mophatlane – CEO, Business Connexion In 1996, Isaac co-founded the former Business Connection, a computer reseller focused on Government and parastatals with his twin brother, Benjamin, which subsequently merged with Seattle Solutions in 2001. In 2004, the company merged with Comparex Africa and he was appointed as Group Executive: Client Engagement – Public Sector. His strong leadership...
- Swaziland: Users bypass censored media with Social Media Tech savvy individuals have turned to social media websites like Facebook and Twitter in order to access news that is not censored or governed in any way. Individuals also utilise the service in order to bypass mainstream media which includes: television,...
- SureSwipe Move receives P2PE certification SureSwipe has launched SureSwipe Move – the first Mobile Point of Sale (MPOS) solution in South Africa, according to the company, to achieve Point-to-Point Encryption (P2PE) certification from the PCI Security Standards Council. According to the...
- Airtel launches Celebrity Connect Airtel Nigeria and Kirusa have announced the launch of Celebrity Connect, a mobile service that attempts to connect Nigerians with celebrities and famous personalities. According to the company, the service enables fans to reach out and connect with their...
- Nigeria: Security forces nab $6 million Facebook fraudster Nigerian security forces have allegedly arrested a suspected internet fraudster. The fraudster has been accused of stealing $6 million from people who thought were paying fees to apply for government jobs. This is according to dailymail.co.uk. According to...
- Nigeria embracing e-commerce The Terragon Group Research Report released for the second quarter of 2014, has revealed growth in the state of digital media and users’ online behaviour in Nigeria over the past twelve months. The report, which was compiled after a recent survey from a...
- IT News Africa: top stories of the week The week has come to an end; however, it almost the end of the month. Yip, that’s right in a few days we will be heading into the month of August 2014. This week in tech, we saw Telkom suspending its attempt to cut a multitude of jobs at the company....
- MTN South Africa extends on WOW promotion MTN South Africa launched its WOW promotion on 21 June 2014, targeting MTN customers who spend R6 airtime and get R60 FREE airtime back. Now MTN has increased its reward. Starting today 25 July, MTN customers will get R120 FREE airtime when they spend R6 of...
- Cell C to ask bondholders for debt extension South African mobile operator Cell C said that it would extend the maturity date of Euro 160 million of senior debt. As a part of the transaction, Cell C has offered to buy back debt from any bond holder who does not wish to extend. The expected extension is...
- Etisalat Egypt selects Ericsson to boost CE in Egypt Etisalat Egypt has chosen to continue their partnership with Ericsson by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at Ericsson’s headquarters in Sweden. The renewed collaboration is intended to strengthen the existing partnership in mobile broadband...
- APC tasks Jonathan on credible elections The All Progressives Congress, APC, has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to conduct free and fair elections in Nigeria, saying all the assurances so far given by the presidency have not… ...
- Sallah Day tragedy: Boko Haram attacks again, kills 50 . 2 female suicide bombers, 3 others die in Kano blasts There seemed to be no let up in the orgy of violence spreading across the country as 50 people,… ...
- Ladoja insists on contesting in 2015 …dissociates party from Ajimobi’s impeachment Former governor of Oyo State, Senator Rashidi Ladoja, yesterday dissociated the Accord Party from a purported plan to impeach Governor Abiola Ajimobi, by the state’s… ...
- Ebola: Togolese airline, Asky, barred from Nigeria The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, has suspended with immediate effect the operations of the Togobased airline, ASky Airline into Nigeria. NCAA said the suspension became necessary to prevent the… ...
- Rector charges alumni on development The alumni of Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, have been tasked on the need to galvanise support for the development of their alma mater. The institution’s rector, Dr Taiwo Akande, stressed… ...
- Europe destroyed African culture -Alaafin The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, has berated Europeans for ‘deliberately setting out to destroy other cultures’ with their hegemonic one. The monarch said the Europeans super-imposed… ...
- CAMA: CAC moves against defaulting companies The Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC, has said that henceforth any business concern that fails to adhere strictly to the provision of Companies and Allied Matters Act, CAMA, would be severely… ...
- Ogun LP crisis escalates Former Ogun State governor, Gbenga Daniel, yesterday described as a ruse, allegations of threat to life leveled against him by the former state chairman of Labour Party, LP, Comrade Olabode… ...
- Doctors warn FG against proscription of NMA Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, MDCAN, yesterday warned the Federal Government to rescind its purported decision to proscribe the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA. NMA President, Dr. Steven Oluwole,… ...
- Enugu community cries out over erosion Obinofia Ndiuno community, in Ezeagu local government area of Enugu State, has cried out to all tiers of government to come to its rescue, as it has been cut off… ...
2015: PDP won’t go into alliance with LP to win Ogun –Kashamu
Chairman, Mobilisation and Organisation Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the South-West, Prince Buruji Kashamu, yesterday said the party does not need any alliance with the Labour Party (LP) to win the 2015 general elections in Ogun State. ...I’ll break 2nd term jinx –Ajimobi
Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State yesterday vowed to break the jinx working against those seeking to rule the state twice as governor. ...Arrest of RMS boss: I’m not involved –Omisore
Osun State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Senator Iyiola Omisore, has refuted a news item linking him with the arrest of the managing director of RMS, a Lagos-based research firm, by the Directorate of State Security (DSS). ...Delta council poll: PDP assures women of chairmanship slots
Delta State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr. Peter Nwaoboshi, has promised that the party would give reasonable number of slots to female aspirants in the forth-coming local government elections in the state. ...2015: UPP to field Igbo presidential candidate –Okorie
The National Chairman of United Progressive Party (UPP), Chief Chekwas Okorie, has said the party will field an Igbo candidate in the 2015 presidential election. ...APC’ll lose another South-West state –Ayodele
Primate Elijah Ayodele of the INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church in Lagos State has predicted that the All Progressives Congress (APC) will lose another state in the South-West in the 2015 elections. ...Why voters should reject APC, PDP, by Akinwusi, SDP candidate
The governorship flag bearer of Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Osun state, Mr. Olusegun Akinwusi has called on electorate to totally reject ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the August 9, 2014 poll. ...Akinbade faults rice, kerosene distribution
Voters in Osun State have been admonished by the Labour Party (LP) governorship candidate, Alhaji Fatai Akinbade to beware of those he described as rice distribution politicians, now on the prowl in the state. ...I’m ready for election –Akinwusi
The governorship candidate of Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Osun State, Mr Olusegun Akinwusi has expressed his readiness for the August 9 poll. ...Osun GUBER: Aregbesola sues for peace
Osun State Governor, Mr Rauf Aregbesola has called on politicians in the state to ensure that peace reigns before, during and after the August 9 governorship election in the state. ...Sultan, Vatican ambassador commend Kukah’s leadership virtues
Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Most Revd. Matthew Kukah, has been commended for his commitment to the growth of Catholic ecclesiastical work in the country. The Vatican Ambassador to Nigeria, ...Chibok girls: Group wants FG to negotiate with Boko Haram
The Muslim Media Watch Group of Nigeria (MMWG) has urged the Federal Government to enter into negotiation with Boko Haram insurgents to secure the release of the abducted schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State. ...Adamawa killings: Acting gov commiserates with victims
The acting Governor of Adamawa State, Alhaji Umaru Fintiri, yesterday, commiserated with the Lamido of Adamawa, Dr. Barkindo Aliyu Musdafa, over the death of over 30 of his subjects during recent attacks by Boko Haram insurgents. ...Shun acts capable of dividing Nigeria, Emir tasks leaders
Emir of Ilorin and Chairman of Kwara State Traditional Council, Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari, has urged Muslim faithful to work towards the return of peace to the country and shun acts capable of dividing the citizenry. ...Fayose’s govt’ll be open to criticism –Eleka
Deputy Governor-elect of Ekiti State, Dr. Olusola Eleka, has assured that the in-coming administration of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to be led by Mr. Ayo Fayose will be tolerant ofto constructive criticisms from members of the opposition. ...Accord Party lawmakers not part of moves to impeach Ajimobi –Ladoja
Former Oyo State governor, Senator Rashidi Ladoja, has washed off the hands of Accord Party (AP) lawmakers in the state House of Assembly from the alleged moves to impeach Governor Abiola Ajimobi, insisting that the timing is wrong. ...Bloody weekend in Anambra
It was a bloody weekend in various parts of Anambra State as no fewer than two persons were killed in separate incidents around the commercial city of Onitsha, just as doctors battled to save a businessman who was allegedly abducted ...Man stabs friend over N2,000 debt in Benin
A 20-year-old man identified as Frederick, is lying unconscious in a private hospital in Benin, Edo State after allegedly being stabbed in the neck yesterday by his friend over N2,000 debt. ...Bayelsa releases N200m to pay students’ bursary
Bayelsa State Government has released N200 million for the payment of bursary allowances to its students in institutions of higher learning across the country. Governor Seriake Dickson, ...Akpabio tasks Nigerian Christians on forgiveness
Akwa Ibom State Governor, Chief Godswill Akpabio has appealed to Christians in Nigeria to have the heart of forgiveness towards one other since God is an embodiment of love and forgiveness. ...Delivering on the social housing mandate to Nigerians
The administration of President Goodluck Jonathan recently in Enugu, restated the determination of the present administration to provide quality and affordable shelter to Nigerians. ...Fidelity Bank’s gross earning hits N63.2bn in Q1, 2014
Fidelity bank gross earning grew by 1 per cent from N62.9 billion recorded in its half year 2013 to N63.3 billion in the corresponding period for 2014. ...Agent banking: GTBank partners Forte Oil to increase GTExpress locations
As part of efforts to take banking services closer to its customers, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc has launched “GTExpress”, a comprehensive Agent Banking Service (ABS) at Forte Oil locations nationwide. ...Banks on red alert over advanced fee-fraud threat –Palo Alto Networks
Nigerian banks and other corporate organisations globally have been put on red alert over new and advanced internet scammers operating within the country. ...CBN releases exposure draft on time bar for consumer complaints
To ensure prompt implementation of its consumer protection initiatives, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has released exposure guideline on timeline for resolution of customer complaints. ...Stakeholder hails SON on cement standardisation
Nigeria’s cement sectors stakeholders have insisted that the categorisation of cement into grades by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) was in the best interest of Nigerians and the country as whole. ...ICT’s contribution to Nigeria’s GDP ’ll hit $50bn by 2019 – Okere, CWG boss
Nigeria’s Information and Communication Technology sector’s contribution to the annual GDP will shoot up to… ...BVN: Poor awareness, logistics blight implementation exercise
Two months after commercial banks in Lagos were expected to begin collating customers’ biometrics in… ...Beware of banana pills: Aviation stakeholders warn Chidoka
Nigeria’s aviation industry stakeholders have demanded that newly appointed Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, should… ...Arik Air commences direct flight to Dubai
Trade, diplomatic and tourism ties between Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is getting… ...UK-born singer, Ify set to storm Nigeria
After years of sojourn abroad, UK-born Nigerian singer, Ify Uwauche, is set to storm the… ...AFRIFF appoints Xolile Tshabalala ambassador
Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF) has appointed Xolile Tshabalala, as its goodwill ambassador for the… ...BON unveils nominees’ list
Nominations for the 2014 Best of Nollywood Awards would be announced Friday, August 1, at an… ...Feyinkemi Ayomipo gets NMS’s star prize
Winner of Next Movie Star 2013, Akinwale Oluwafeyisekemi Ayomiposi, has been presented with the grand… ...I’m married to my music–Olawale Ojo, Project Fame winner
Olawale Ojo, MTN Project Fame winner, 2013, a final year student of Agronomy at LAUTECH,… ...RMD, Aluwe, others Go Ahead with Glo
Top Nigerian artistes will feature in a new campaign tagged: Go Ahead, an initiative of telecoms giant,… ...Express Star Awards holds today
The third anniversary & Awards Nite of Entertainment Express and Sunday Express will hold today, Sunday, July 27, at Niteshift Coliseum, Opebi,… ...Ozzy Bosco is LAWMA ambassador
Music prodigy, Oziomachukwu Favour Mojekwu aka Ozzy Bosco, has been appointed Youth Ambassador of the… ...Angie’s big year
How does she do it? Mother of six, humble, humanitarian and A-List star. You have… ...God is the secret to my success–I go save
•Wraps up European tour Rib-cracker, Otaghware Otas Onodjayeke aka Otas Igosave, is lighting up Europe… ...
- Huawei to spend N80m on technology development - Huawei, Chinese technology company, says it will invest N80 million in the country’s Information and Communication Technology industry for develop skills of young Nigerians. The company made this known during the 2014 Nelson Mandela International Day event in Abuja. The company said that N4 million from the sum would be provided to the Nelson Mandela
- Stanbic IBTC in growth spurt as profits surge 56 percent - Stanbic is in growth spurt as half year profit surged 56 percent amid the regulatory headings stoked by the Central Bank of Nigeria tightening policy and regulatory and its regulatory induced policies. The impressive or stellar performance shows that where other banks are susceptible to an unpredictable operating environment, Stanbic is tapping into the innumerable
- ‘Nigeria requires national accelerator programme for mobile money’ - Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy by GDP, will require a national accelerator programme to drive the adoption and usage of mobile money services by the vast majority of Nigerians, said Emmanuel Okoegwale, principal consultant at Mobile Money Africa. About three years after its launch by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), mobile money, with a potential
- Sirius Petroleum to raise $20m for Ororo field production - Sirius Petroleum, a company focused on oil and gas development and production opportunities in Nigeria, said it had conditionally raised gross proceeds of up to $20 million by way of a placing and a subscription. The company is seeking funding in order to bring the offshore Ororo field, located in Oil Mining Lease (OML) 95,
- Statoil profit drops 12% in second quarter on lower output - Statoil, Norway’s biggest energy company, said profit fell 12 percent in the second quarter as gas prices slid and output sank on maintenance and asset sales. Adjusted net income dropped to 9.9 billion kroner ($1.6 billion) from 11.3 billion kroner a year earlier, the Stavanger-based company said. Net income rose to 12 billion kroner from
- Sterling Bank moves to provide funding, advice for States projects - Sterling Bank Plc has put in place a robust strategy to support states with developmental projects capable of transforming the economy of the states and uplifting the living standards of the people. Such support, according to the Bank would come in terms of provision of professional advice across all sectors and funding for the actualization
- Google triples deal spending to $4.2B in 2014 first half - Google Inc., more than tripled spending on acquisitions in the first half of the year to $4.2 billion, as the Internet Company ramps up investments to expand its services. The world’s largest online advertiser spent $3.2 billion for thermostat company Nest Labs Inc. in February and an additional $1 billion on other purchases in the first
- Professionalism, value behind unification of NIMN factions - After about 10 years the National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria (NIMN) was torn into two factions following disagreements in the body, the factions have resolved their differences in the interest of business and the marketing profession. The two factions, who have been in talks of settling their dispute for about two months, last week
- Globacom out with special tariff plan for prepaid subscribers - Globacom, national telecommunications carrier, is offering a special tariff plan for prepaid subscribers that make it more affordable for millions of its prepaid subscribers to call each other. The plan, Glo Ringa, allows subscribers on the Globacom network to call other subscribers on the network at just eleven kobo per second. The plan has effectively
- Forbes family sells Forbes Media after 97 years - The Forbes family, according to media reports, has sold a “majority stake” in its US and global publishing company Forbes Media to a group of international investors, ending a 97-year dynasty started by Bruce Forbes. An online report, the Brandrepublic said Forbes family refused to disclose how much of the business they still own, but
- Elochukwu asks NFF to renew Keshi’s contract Chief Ernest Elochukwu, a former Captain of the Tennis Section of Port Harcourt Club, has urged the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to renew the contract of Super Eagles Coach, Stephen Keshi. [July 29, 2014]
- Nigerian weightlifter in doping shock Nigerian teenage weightlifter Chika Amalaha has been provisionally suspended from the Commonwealth Games after testing positive in a doping test taken after she won gold in the women’s 53kg category, the Commonwealth Games Federation announced Tuesday. [July 29, 2014]
- Rising star Okagbare targets Commonwealth treble Were it not for the track and field schedule, Nigerian Blessing Okagbare could almost be expected to be going for four medals at the Commonwealth Games. [July 29, 2014]
- I defied Doctors warning to win medal for Nigeria – Obioma Okoli With her precious silver medal dangling on her chest, she beams her toothpaste smile as she acknowledged banters from her colleagues. [July 29, 2014]
- Okagbare wins gold Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare sensationally became the Commonwealth champion last night when she ran 10.85 seconds to beat the pack that included Jamaican duo of Veronica Campbell-Brown and Kerron Stewart who took the silver and bronze in 11.03 and 11.07 respectively. [July 29, 2014]
- Amalaha targets Rio Olympics gold Chika Amalaha, Nigeria’s 2014 Commonwealth Games weightlifting gold medallist, said in Glasgow, Scotland that her target was to win at the 2016 Olympics scheduled for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. [July 29, 2014]
- Uduaghan inspires Team Nigeria Delta State Governor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan once again showed while Delta State has remained as the undisputed number one sports State in Nigeria. His presence at the on-going Commonwealth Games in Scotland confirmed his undying love for sports in Nigeria. [July 29, 2014]
- Kawu: NFF to employ forensic experts Apparently surprised by the sudden claim by the chairman of the Nigeria Nationwide League, Ahmed Kawu that he was forced to sign the impeachment paper which was used to impeach the former president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Alhaji Aminu Maigari from office, a member of the board says they may soon employ the services of the Nigeria Police to carry out a forensic test on the signatures of all the members who signed the impeachment document. [July 29, 2014]
- Maigari splits NFF Impeached President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Aminu Maigari is leaving no stone unturned to overturn his ouster from the Glass House. [July 29, 2014]
- Nigeria wins bronze in T/Tennis Team Nigeria claims bronze in table tennis, as Quadri remains unbeaten After missing out from the medal podium at the 2010 Delhi Games, Team Nigeria on Monday returned to the zenith of table tennis at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games after beating India 3-1 to claim the bronze medal in the men’s team event. [July 29, 2014]
- We’ll wrestle more medals for Team Nigeria – Ohaike Team Nigeria’s chances of adding more medals to her kitty gets brighter with the beginning of events in Wrestling at the ongoing XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. [July 28, 2014]
- Breaking News: Nigeria’s Okagbare wins women’s 100m Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare won women’s 100m gold at the Commonwealth Games on Monday. [July 28, 2014]
- 160 for ARS national finals 160 players made up of five zonal male and female teams will be vying for honours when the National Finals of season four of the annual Airtel Rising Stars U-17 tournament kicks off in Lagos on tomorrow, at the Yabatech Sports Complex, Lagos. [July 28, 2014]
- Efe Ajagba is as good as gold – Okorodudu Jerry Okorodudu has assessed the Nigerian pugilists who romped into the quarter finals of the on going Commonwealth Games and predicted that Nigerian boxing was on its way back to reckoning. [July 28, 2014]
- Danagogo boosts athletes, coaches morale The morale in Team Nigeria’s camp has been boosted with a pledge of financial reward from the Minister of Sports/Chairman National Sports Commission, Dr. Tammy Danagogo to coaches at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. [July 28, 2014]
- FIFA calls for Italian FA probe into Pogba racism case GENEVA – FIFA on Monday called for an investigation into alleged racist comments made by the front runner in the race for the top job in Italian football. [July 28, 2014]
- Nigeria rakes in 6 medals from weightlifting Oluwatoyin Adesanmi won another gold medal for Nigeria at the Commonwealth Games in the women’s 63kg weightlifting yesterday. [July 28, 2014]
- We ‘ll run an open administration – Umeh Speaking in a chat with Sports Vanguard yesterday, Umeh promised to usher in a regime of accountability and transparency. “We hope to be different,” he started. “We will be having regular executive committee meetings, unlike in the past where few people took decisions for the rest of the members.” [July 28, 2014]
- Impeachment: Maigari’s group fights back Ahead of the emergency congress of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) slated to take place this Thursday in Abuja, there are very clear indications that the camp of the impeached president of the federation, Alhaji Aminu Maigari has started an intensive lobbying of the delegates to the congress with a view to getting them quash the impeachment. [July 28, 2014]
- Gowon tasks Team Nigeria to set new record in Glasgow Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s former Head of State, has tasked Team Nigeria athletes at the ongoing 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow to strive for more medals in order to break new record. [July 27, 2014]
- SA disappoints Keshi, appoints ‘Shakes’ Mashaba South Africa Football Association, yesterday named local coach Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba as new manager of the Bafana Bafana, thus ending all speculations concerning coach Stephen Keshi. [July 27, 2014]
- Maigairi wishes NFF well Impeached president of the Nigeria Football Federation Aminu Maigari has resigned to fate and has gone into hibernation. Maigari, indicated yesterday that he has peace of mind after a tumultuous post Brazil 2014 World Cup had him battling against the wind. [July 27, 2014]
- Commonwealth Games: Bolt’s parents wish Okagbare well Nigeria’s sprint queen Blessing Okagbare begins her quest to win a Commonwealth Games double today in Glasgow Scotland. And she seem to have received the Blessings to make it happen from the parents of world record holder in the men’s sprints, Usain Bolt. [July 27, 2014]
- IAAF World Juniors: Oduduru rakes in silver for Nigeria Nigeria’s fast rising junior athlete Ejowvokoghene Divine Oduduru gave his country a reason to cheer when he ran a ‘windy’ 20.25 to win silver in men’s 200m event at the on-going IAAF World Junior Championships in Eugene Oregon, USA. [July 27, 2014]
- Mashaba appointed to coach South Africa Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba was named coach of South Africa Saturday in succession to sacked Gordon Igesund. [July 26, 2014]
- Liverpool’s Lallana set to miss start of season Liverpool suffered a major blow on Friday when England midfielder Adam Lallana was ruled out for up to six weeks after suffering a knee injury. [July 26, 2014]
- FIFA fines Argentina for Falklands banner FIFA has fined and reprimanded the Argentinian Football Association after the World Cup finalists put up a banner laying claim to the disputed Falkland Islands before a recent match. [July 26, 2014]
- Payment of allowances to Team Nigeria athletes guaranteed The Minister of Sports, Tammy Danagogo, has directed the immediate payment of competition allowances of Team Nigeria athletes at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland. [July 26, 2014]
- Glasgow: Amalaha’s gold excites Danagogo The Minister of Sports, Mr Tammy Danagogo on Saturday in Glasgow, Scotland, expressed satisfaction with the performance of Team Nigeria athletes at ongoing Commonwealth Games. [July 26, 2014]
- Corruption should be effectively tackled in NFA – Enthusiasts Some sports enthusiasts on Friday in Abuja said the impeachment of Aminu Maigari as the Chairman of Nigeria Football Association (NFA) was a welcome development. [July 26, 2014]
- Beware of those jostling to replace Maigari In the light of the impeachment of NFF President, Aminu Maigari, Chairman of the Delta State Football Association Pinnick Amaju in this interview with JOHN EGBOKHAN warns Sports Minister Tamuno Danagogo to be wary of those angling to become the new NFF President. [July 26, 2014]
- Commonwealth Games: Nigerian athletes hope for the best Athletics events of the 20th Commonwealth Games begin tomorrow with Nigerian athletes hoping to rise above challenges encountered on the way to Glasgow and post good performances. [July 26, 2014]