Agbaje,-an-intern-without-experience-to-govern-Lagos">February 27, 2015 by Samson Folarin
- Nigeria's president visits massacre site, as 35 killed in bombings Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday visited the scene of what is feared to be Boko Haram's worst massacre and vowed that the insurgency would soon be over. The bombings raised fears of a renewed wave of attacks against vulnerable targets in urban centres, as troops from Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon make gains against the militants in rural areas. Jonathan's visit to Baga ...
- Nigeria's opposition will not tolerate any more vote delays: Buhari By Karin Strohecker and Alexis Akwagyiram LONDON (Reuters) - Any further delays to Nigeria's election would be unacceptable and the opposition will take the government to court if the election commission chief is forced out, presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari said on Thursday. The election was set for Feb. 14 but postponed to March 28 after the Independent National Electoral Commission ...
- Bomb attacks kill at least 23 in north, central Nigeria By Buhari Bello and Lanre Ola JOS/BAUCHI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Boko Haram bombers killed 23 people on Thursday, authorities said, as the Islamist insurgents fight back against a military offensive launched by Nigeria and three neighboring countries. A suicide bomber at a bus station in Biu, a town in northeastern Borno state, killed at least 17 people, a military source and local vigilante ...
- Suicide bombers kill at least 26 across north Nigeria By Joe Hemba and Nnekule Ikemfuna DAMATURU/KANO, Nigeria (Reuters) - Suicide bombers struck two bus stations in different parts of northern Nigeria on Tuesday, killing at least 26 people in attacks President Goodluck Jonathan blamed on Boko Haram, the Islamist militant group he said would soon be defeated. In the first, a suicide bomber rushed onto a bus in the northeastern town of Potiskum ...
- Blasts hit two Nigeria bus stations, at least 27 dead Two blasts rocked bus stations in embattled northern Nigeria on Tuesday, killing at least 27 people, as violence continues to rage less than five weeks ahead of general elections. The first bombing, which killed 17, ripped through a station on the outskirts of Potiskum, in northeast Yobe state, which has been targeted repeatedly by Boko Haram Islamists. Roughly four hours later, two men blew ...
- Nigeria president says 'tide has turned' against Boko Haram Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday said the military was gaining the upper hand against Boko Haram, despite two bombings in the country's north that killed at least 27. "The President assures all Nigerians, and the people of the northeastern states in particular, that the days of mourning victims of incessant terrorist attacks in the country will soon be over as the tide has now ...
- Toll from Kano, Nigeria bombings rises to 34: union A twin suicide attack this week at a bus station in Nigeria's Kano city killed 34 people, a union official said Thursday, giving an updated toll after police said 10 people died. Boko Haram Islamist militants have not claimed the blasts, but the group has repeatedly targeted Kano, including bus stations, throughout its six-year uprising. "The victims included 21 passengers in a bus that was ...
- Suicide bombers kill 24 at 2 bus stations in north Nigeria POTISKUM, Nigeria (AP) — Teenage suicide bombers, suspected to be Boko Haram extremists, killed at least 24 people in separate blasts Tuesday at crowded bus stations in two northern Nigerian cities 300 kilometers (185 miles) apart.
- Nigeria's Buhari vows to 'lead from the front' against Boko Haram The former military ruler, who rejected descriptions of him as a "dictator", also argued against further delays to the election and said a free, fair and peaceful vote would boost democracy in Africa. The 72-year-old from the All Progressives Congress (APC) opposition has been seen as neck-and-neck with President Goodluck Jonathan in the closely fought election campaign. Some have predicted that ...
- Nigeria army chief: Displaced Baga residents can soon return MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) - Nigeria's army chief said that residents displaced from Baga town in the country's northeast should be able to return to vote in March elections after the military reclaimed the town from Islamic extremists. Lt. Gen. Kenneth Minima spoke to journalists Wednesday in Maiduguri after he said ...
- Jonathan Heading to Conflict-Ridden Baga [Premium Times]President Goodluck Jonathan has visited Mubi in Adamawa State, more than three months after Nigerian troops recaptured the town from the insurgent group, Boko Haram.
- Jonathan Procures N11 Billion Equipment 'to Tap Phones' [Premium Times]Nigeria's active 120 million GSM subscribers need to know this: The Nigeria Police, the State Security Service [SSS] and the Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited [NIGCOMSAT] are, on behalf of the Nigerian government, possibly hacking your phones and listening in to your conversations.
- Bill to Intercept SMS, Emails Passes Second Reading At House [Daily Trust]A bill that seeks to intercept personal communications of Nigerians sponsored by the Federal Government yesterday passed second reading at the House of Representatives.
- Military Accused of Barring Journalists from Boko Haram Frontlines [Daily Trust]Nigerian journalists cannot report the ongoing counter-terrorism war against Boko Haram by multinational forces first-hand because of military authorities' lack of good faith.
- We Want Chibok Girls Alive, Not Shekau - Opposition [Independent (Lagos)]Osogbo -Osun State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adegboyega Famodun, on Wednesday, told the Federal Government that Nigerians would love to have Chibok girls rescued alive instead of Boko Haram Leader, Ibrahim Shekau.
- Man Bolts After Wife Delivers Armless Baby [Vanguard]Abeokuta -A middle-aged man, Mudashiru Sheriffdeen, has reportedly run away immediately he was told his wife, Taiwo, gave birth to a baby boy without arms.
- Resetting the Nigerian Leadership Clock [Premium Times]When speaking about Nigeria overseas, I normally prefer to be my country's public relations and marketing officer, extolling her virtues and hoping to attract investments and tourists. But as we all know, Nigeria is now battling with many challenges, and if I refer to them, I do so only to impress on our friends in the United Kingdom that we are quite aware of our shortcomings and are doing our best to address them.
- MOSOP Alleges Fresh Plot to Blackmail Its President [Independent (Lagos)]Port Harcourt -Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) has alleged a fresh plot by some unidentified persons to blackmail its President, Legborsi Pyagbara, by linking him with a group pushing for the resumption of oil production in Ogoniland.
- Nigeria, Where "Stealing Is Not Corruption" [Waza]Corruption has been one of the biggest issues in the run up to the 2015 general elections in Nigeria. Waza blogger, Socrates Mbamalu, says that if Nigerians are to make any progress, they will have to do away with their ambivalent attitudes towards corrupt practices.
- Nigeria Tycoon Dangote Prospects for Kitui Limestone [The Star]THE Kitui government has given a firm associated with Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote the go-ahead to prospect for limestone in the Kanziku-Simisi area, Kitui South subcounty.
- APC Reps Stage Walk-Out Over Troops Deployment During Polls [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -A mild drama played out in the House of Representatives on Wednesday when members of the parliament engaged one another in a shouting match while discussing a report on the desirability and constitutionality of deployment of troops for election monitoring.
- No Deadline for New Number Plate - FRSC [Independent (Lagos)]Umuahia -The Corps Marshall of the Federal Road Safety Commission, Mr. Boboye Oyeyemi, has said the agency would no longer insist on any deadline for the enforcement of the new number plate.
- Anambra Discovers 14 New Cases of Leprosy [Guardian]DESPITE efforts to contain infectious diseases, Anambra State government has revealed that 14 new cases of Leprosy has been discovered in some communities in the state.
- Missing u.S.$20 Billion - Okonjo-Iweala Gets One Week Ultimatum to Submit Forensic Audit [Vanguard]Miffed by the uncounted $20 billion, the House of Representatives has Wednesday issued a one week ultimatum to the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the economy Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala to submit the report of the forensic audit.
- Robbers Question Our Morality [Vanguard]WHAT do we do when robbery suspects question society's morality? We dismiss them as justifying their crime. We found this incident and its knocks on our laws profound. Garba Sani, 24, a private guard accused of robbery, and Okwudili Godwin, 30, said to have received the stolen goods, gave reporters a treatise on commonness of crimes in Nigeria.
- Please Don't Catch Shekau Alive! [Vanguard]One mid-morning early in December last year, I stood in the balcony of my house and watched as aircraft, as usual, lazily came in to land. I live along the very busy international plane route leading to the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos. But this morning, there was something unusual about the incoming flights. Within the space of 45 minutes, I was able to count thirteen Nigerian Air Force Hercules transporters. I immediately knew Nigeria's war against Boko Haram was going to take a turn for the better.
- 10-Year-Old Nigerian in UK Varsity [Vanguard]Ten year old Esther Okade, one of UK's youngest students from Nigeria, has been accepted to start her maths degree at the Open University. Esther, who enrolled three weeks ago, is already top of her class, scoring 100 per cent in a recent test.
- French Envoy Denies Arrest Claim of French Nationals Over Boko Haram [Daily Trust]The Ambassador of France to Nigeria, Mr Jaques Champagne de Labriolle has described as "rubbish" claims that some French nationals working with Boko Haram were arrested by Cameroonian troops.
- Nigeria Forum - Election Postponement Sparks Rumours, Doomsday Scenarios and More Uncertainty - By Antony Goldman [African Arguments]When Attahiru Jega, Chairman of Nigeria's Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), announced on 7 February his decision to postpone by six weeks general elections scheduled for 14 and 28 February, he ended one debate - would elections be held on schedule - only to trigger intense speculation as to what the delay might actually herald.
- You Are Not Doing Me Any Favour, Keshi Tells NFF [Independent (Lagos)]Out of contract Super Eagles Head Coach, Stephen Keshi, has aked the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to hold on to its job, saying he will survive without coaching the Super Eagles.
- Defection - I Betrayed My Colleagues - Lamido [Independent (Lagos)]Minna and Abuja -Jigawa State Governor, Sule Lamido, on Tuesday admitted that he actually betrayed his colleagues by pulling out at the last minute from the arrangements that saw five governors elected on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC).
- Eat Your Heart Out APC, GEJ Is Working! [Daily Trust]Sorry guys, there is a new kid in the Rock of Offense and he doesn't look anything like the taciturn, docile and downright unimpressive President Jones. The impostor is dynamic, responsive, calm, collected, diplomatically proactive, and even hyperactive.
- Amajimbos Down Eaglets, Into First CAF U-17 Final [CAF]Amajimbos marched into Sunday's final of the 2015 CAF U17 championships after a 1-0 victory over the Golden Eaglets, Khanyisa Eric Mayo's low cracker inside the box on 26minutes proving decisive in this exhilarating first semi-final at the Seyni Kountche.
- Burkina Faso Dump Keshi, Appoint Rohr as Coach [Vanguard]Burkina Faso have appointed Germany's Gernot Rohr as their new coach after their Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) disappointment, their Football Federation (FBF) confirmed on Wednesday.
- Match Reactions First Semi-Final Nigeria 0-1 South Africa [CAF]Nigeria coach Emmanuel Amunike:
- DPO After My Life, Activist Cries to Jonathan, IG [Vanguard]Human rights activist, Mr. Martin Obinani Eloka, has accused the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, of a Police Division in Delta State (names withheld) of threatening his life for exposing alleged corrupt practices in his earlier petition to the Inspector-General of Police, IG, and President Goodluck Jonathan.
- Don Jazzy Buys Items Worth Half a Million Naira for Followers [Vanguard]Multi award-winning record producer, singer-songwriter, musician, CEO of Mavin Records, Michael Collins Ajereh, better known as Don Jazzy, has given out items worth half a million naira to his followers on micro-blogging site-Twitter, in celebration of his and Tiwa Savage endorsement deal with online shopping site, Konga.
- Impunity - Like Nigeria, Like Niger State [Daily Trust]When the Chinese want to curse you they say "May you live in interesting times," or some words to that effect. It is hard, if not impossible, to dispute the fact that these are indeed interesting times in Nigeria, as in much of the world, where impunity seems to have become the bye-word for politics.
- I Will Restore Nigeria's Lost Glory, Buhari Says At Chatham House [Premium Times]The presidential candidate of the opposition All Progressives Congress, Muhammadu Buhari, has pledged to restore Nigeria's lost glory if he emerges as the next president of the country in the March 28 election.
- President Visits Nigerian Territories Recovered From Boko Haram [Premium Times]President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday visited Mubi in Adamawa State, a town recently recovered from the Boko Haram insurgents.
- Ini Edo’s Boyfriend Mike Godson Confirms Romance, Says Ini Is The Only Actress Close To His Heart
- Nollywood Filmmaker Tunde Kelani Marks Birthday At Ozone Cinema Yaba Lagos
- Photo: Stella Damasus Meets Donnie McClurkin, Tells Fans He Calls Her ‘My Nigerian Princess’
- Nollywood Actress Oge Okoye Endorses Hairfinity Vitamins For Healthy Hair Growth
- Photos: Mercy Johnson In London For ‘Thy Will Be Done’ Nollywood Movie Premiere
- Photos: Nollywood Stars At AMVCA, Africa Magic 2015 Awards Nominees Party
- Photo: Genevieve Nnaji Rocks Her Designer Clothing Line
- Photos: Lancelot Imasuen & Jim Iyke Spotted At Suya Spot Toronto Restaurant, Interviewed By FEVA TV
- Photos: Henrietta Kosoko Suffers Head Injury In Car Accident, Covers Wound With Wig
- Nollywood Actor Ayo Badmus Denies Marriage Crash, Says Wife Lost Baby To Miscarriage
- Pasan Yoruba Movie: Kenny George, Muyiwa Ademola, Sotayo & Yomi Fabiyi On Set In London
- Photos: Genevieve Nnaji’s Billionaire Boyfriend Buys Her $4M Mansion House In Accra Ghana
- Actor Akin Lewis Appointed President Of Maryland Lagos Film School
- Photos: Father Sold His Son, Baby Boy To Herbalist For N300K In Abia, Victim Rescued
- Photos: American Blogger, Avijit Roy Murdered By Islamic Militants In Dhaka Bangladesh,Wife Stabbed
- Photo: Nigerian Girl Being Used As Sex Slave In Burkina Faso Found Dead
- Boko Haram Suicide Bomber Blows Self Up At Bus Station In Biu Borno Today, 2nd Terrorist Shot Dead
- 7 Nigerians Arrested While Trying To Travel To Spain Via Naval Ship From Lagos Say They’re Frustrated
- Chadian Troops Killed 207 Boko Haram Fighters, 1 Soldier Killed, 9 Wounded
- Wanted Italian Mafia Boss Turned Born Again, Arrested After YouTube Water Baptism Video Exposed Him
- Kidnappers Of US Missionary In Kogi Nigeria Demand N60Million Ransom To Release Her
- GE Jonathan Gave $5M Dollar Bribe To SW Yoruba Coop Societies ” I Saw USD In Ghana Must Go Bags” – Witness
- Yoruba Chiefs, Royal Fathers Fight Dirt Over Jonathan $100K Bribe
- Nigerian Lady Duped Of N60K By Romance Scammer Posing As Doctor Working At Epe General Hospital
- Video: Nigerian Air Force Fighter Jet Attacks Boko Haram Camps In Borno State
- Photo: Fraudster Who Issued 400 Fake Nigerian Prisons Service, NPS Job Offer Letters Arrested
- President visits Mubi, Baga, meets monarch, others APPARENTLY to boost the morale of troops and calm frayed nerves, President Goodluck Jonathan [Friday, 27 February 2015 00:31]
- Twin bomb blasts hit Jos motor park • ‘ISIS trying to radicalise young Nigerians’ TWO separate bomb blasts yesterday rocked the Bauchi [Friday, 27 February 2015 00:22]
- Onaiyekan urges govt funding of private varsities HIS Eminence, Cardinal John Onaiyekan, Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, has appealed to the Federal [Thursday, 26 February 2015 21:59]
- Senate moves to create alternative budget office • Rights group tasks N’Assembly on wasteful expenditures THE Bill for an act to establish an [Friday, 27 February 2015 00:09]
- Police arraign 18 suspects, 22 others over Oshodi mayhem • Lagos bans transport unions, dues collection, others NO fewer than 18 suspects were Thursday [Thursday, 26 February 2015 21:54]
- Govt moves to quicken resolution of electricity consumers complaints Plans embedded generation to boost supply TO ensure quicker resolution of consumer complaints, the [Thursday, 26 February 2015 22:05]
- Yoruba leaders back Jonathan over confab report • Court rejects bid to void parley decision PROMINENT Yoruba leaders from the South West Thursday [Thursday, 26 February 2015 22:03]
- Support for SMEs now urgent, says Heritage Bank HERITAGE Bank Limited said there is no better time to support the nation’s fledgling Small and [Wednesday, 25 February 2015 17:10]
- Skye Bank commences instant ATM card issuance SKYE Bank Plc has begun instant card issuance service to both new and existing customers for [Wednesday, 25 February 2015 17:08]
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, has condemned the plan by the Federal Government to increase duties on imported vehicles by 35 per cent, saying there is no justification for such increment. Fashola said the increase would stifle transport operations in the country. He spoke on Thursday during a meeting with taxi and cab operators in… [Read More…]
Agbaje, an intern without experience to govern Lagos The All Progressives Congress governorship candidate in Lagos State, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, says his main contender, the Peoples Democratic Party candidate, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, is an intern who lacks the executive experience to govern the state. Ambode, during the partys campaign rally at Ifako-Ijaye Mini Stadium on Thursday, added that the job of governing the Leave-a-Comment-
The-Controller-General-of-Prisons,-Peter-Ekpendu,-has-said-the-issue-of-prison-congestion-is-as-a-result-of-the-large-number-of-awaiting-trial-inmates-in-the-nations-prisons.-He-added-that-the-notion-that-all-the-prisons-in-Nigeria-were-congested-was-not-true,-saying-that-the-situation-was-only-peculiar-to-prisons-in… [Read-More…]-Stop-rights-violation,-Amnesty-International-tells-FG">February 27, 2015 by Emeka Obi
The Controller General of Prisons, Peter Ekpendu, has said the issue of prison congestion is as a result of the large number of awaiting-trial inmates in the nations prisons. He added that the notion that all the prisons in Nigeria were congested was not true, saying that the situation was only peculiar to prisons in… [Read More…]
Stop rights violation, Amnesty International tells FG Amnesty International has called on the Federal Government to ensure that its response to security threats does not in any way undermine fundamental human rights or fuel further violence. The organisation said the Nigerian government and others must stop pretending to protect civilians beyond their power and “help roll back the tide of suffering of Leave-a-Comment-
The-Federal-Government-on-Thursday-raised-the-alarm-that-the-Islamic-State-in-Syria-and-Iraq-may-have-started-radicalising-and-recruiting-susceptible-Nigerian-students-abroad.-The-Coordinator-of-the-National-Information-Centre,-Mr.-Mike-Omeri,-raised-the-alarm-at-the-weekly-briefing-on-the-war-against-terrorism-in-the-country.-Citing-intelligence-reports,-Omeri… [Read-More…]-Senatorial-bid:-PDP-members-drag-Kashamu-to-court">February 27, 2015 by Everest Amaefule
The Federal Government on Thursday raised the alarm that the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq may have started radicalising and recruiting susceptible Nigerian students abroad. The Coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mr. Mike Omeri, raised the alarm at the weekly briefing on the war against terrorism in the country. Citing intelligence reports, Omeri… [Read More…]
Senatorial bid: PDP members drag Kashamu to court Two members of the Peoples Democratic Party in Ogun State have dragged the Peoples Democratic Party senatorial candidate for Ogun East Senatorial District, Buruji Kashamu, before the Federal High Court sitting in Abeokuta, asking it to disqualify him from contesting in the March 28 presidential and National Assembly elections. The two members are Dele Ajayi Leave-a-Comment-
A-retired-colonel-in-the-Nigerian-Army,-Paul-Ogbebor,-has-described-the-plan-to-use-soldiers-for-the-2015-general-elections-as-an-infringement-on-voters-freedom-during-the-polls.-It-will-be-recalled-that-Governor-Ayo-Fayose-of-Ekiti-State-and-the-Ondo-State-Governor,-Dr.-Olusegun-Mimiko,-had-backed-the-involvement-of-soldiers… [Read-More…]-Synagogue:-Structural-defect-not-responsible-for-collapse,-says-contractor">February 27, 2015 by Alexander Okere
A retired colonel in the Nigerian Army, Paul Ogbebor, has described the plan to use soldiers for the 2015 general elections as an infringement on voters freedom during the polls. It will be recalled that Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State and the Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, had backed the involvement of soldiers… [Read More…]
Synagogue: Structural defect not responsible for collapse, says contractor The contractor, who built the collapsed Synagogue Church of All Nations six-storey guest house, Mr. Akingbola Fatiregun, said on Thursday that the building was constructed following best practices. Fatiregun also said that though the foundation of the building was meant for a six-storey building, it was constructed in such a way that it could have Leave-a-Comment-
The-Judiciary-Staff-Union-of-Nigeria-has-threatened-to-institute-legal-action-against-state-governments-which-had-not-shown-commitment-towards-complying-with-the-court-judgment-on-financial-autonomy-status-of-the-judiciary.-The-president-of-the-union,-Marwan-Adamu,-said-on-Thursday-that-it-was-making-consultation-on-how-to-institute-garnishee-proceedings-against… [Read-More…]-Jonathan-visits-Mubi,-Baga-hails-soldiers">February 27, 2015 by Ade Adesomoju
The Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria has threatened to institute legal action against state governments which had not shown commitment towards complying with the court judgment on financial autonomy status of the judiciary. The president of the union, Marwan Adamu, said on Thursday that it was making consultation on how to institute garnishee proceedings against… [Read More…]
Jonathan visits Mubi, Baga hails soldiers President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday made a surprise visit to some territories recently recovered from members of the Boko Haram sect by the Nigerian troops in Adamawa and Borno states. The Presidency in a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, described the visit, that took Jonathan Leave-a-Comment-
The-Independent-National-Electoral-Commission-has-yet-to-decide-whether-the-forthcoming-general-elections-will-hold-in-the-North-East-communities-recently-liberated-by-the-military-from-the-Boko-Haram-sect.-Investigations-by-our-correspondents-on-Thursday-revealed-that-the-decision-on-the-elections-would-be-guided-by-advice-from-security-agencies.-The-military-has-recaptured… [Read-More…]-Immigration-arrests-foreigners-with-PVCs">February 27, 2015 by Niyi Odebode and John Ameh
The Independent National Electoral Commission has yet to decide whether the forthcoming general elections will hold in the North-East communities recently liberated by the military from the Boko Haram sect. Investigations by our correspondents on Thursday revealed that the decision on the elections would be guided by advice from security agencies. The military has recaptured… [Read More…]
Immigration arrests foreigners with PVCs The Nigeria Immigration Service, Oyo State Command, has arrested 164 illegal settlers in Ibadan with National Identity Cards and Permanent Voters Cards. The Controller of the command, Innocent Akatu, said the arrested men and women were from Niger Republic, Benin Republic, Togo and other countries within the Economic Community of West African States, and had
- Top-flight speakers confirmed for 4 March Innovation Dinner IT leaders will convene at The Michelangelo, Sandton, Johannesburg for the next Innovation Dinner on the 4th of March 2015, addressing the theme “Digital Transformation: 2015 Trends”. Today’s enterprises are being challenged by technology and generational forces that are disrupting business models and placing them at risk of failure. A new...
- Marques to add momentum to F5 Network’s growth across Africa F5 Networks has appointed Carlos Marques as its new Director of Sales for sub-Saharan Africa. According to F5 Networks Marques will be reporting directly to Myles Bray, Regional Vice-President, Sales, UK, Ireland and sub-Saharan Africa for F5 Networks....
- Kenya: ICT start-ups to get boost from upcoming innovation showcase The ICT Authority has announced that Kenya will hold the inaugural ICT Innovation forum, bringing together novel technology-based ideas, solutions and practices on the 2nd – 3rd March, 2015 at KICC, Nairobi. The forum which has a national outlook will...
- Tanzania: Tigo inks money transfer service deal with Vodacom Millions of M-Pesa and Tigo Pesa customers in Tanzania will soon be able to send and receive money directly into each other wallets. This follows the recent signing of a mobile money interoperability agreement between Tigo and Vodacom. The agreement will see...
- VMware appoints new SVP & CIO VMware has revealed the appointment of Bask Iyer to the role of senior vice president (SVP) and chief information officer (CIO) of VMware. Iyer will lead VMware’s global information and technology organisation, a group that manages critical technology...
- Kenya: Airtel invests Sh 2.5 billion in 3G network Bharti Airtel has effectively invested Ksh. 2.5 billion to upgrade its network. The move is intended to enhance indoor coverage and 3G quality in Kenya. According to the company, the upgrades of all sites in Mombasa and Kitale townships have been completed....
- Top African and Global leaders set to attend MWC 2015 Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC) is set to commence from 2-5 March 2015. IT News Africa will be in attendance at the event. MWC will be hosting top level C-Level professionals from Africa, as well as from across the globe. The mobile communications revolution...
- Building the modern data centre: Plan for availability The always-on era is becoming a reality for every business: Globalisation is allowing companies to spread their operations across multiple time zones just as users are abandoning the old nine-to-five working day and want access to their email and data...
- Security should be a top priority for the CIO For a country like South Africa that is visibly paranoid about security, the country’s information security landscape is seriously lagging in terms of awareness and practical, relevant application. Today’s chief information officer (CIO) needs to...
- Advanced analytics & telecoms could make a powerful combination Advanced analytics, growing off a foundation of effective Business Intelligence (BI), presents unprecedented opportunities for business. Where traditional BI delivered an historical view or trends in customer behaviour, sales, products life-cycle or market...
- NSE Ticker App set to simplify African Stock Markets According to the developers of the NSE Ticker, the app equips investors with tools to understand the Nigerian Stock Exchange and analyse its data. NSE Ticker is the first of a series of apps designed to help improve access to leading stock markets in Africa....
- Nigeria: Diamond Bank reveals mobile fingerprint feature Diamond Bank has revealed the launch of a fingerprint recognition feature, which has been incorporated within the Diamond Mobile app. The new service has been incorporated utilising the iOS Touch ID feature, and allows users of the app to log into their...
- SpeedCast aquires Geolink in Africa SpeedCast International Limited (SpeedCast), a satellite communications service provider, has revealed the acquisition of Geolink Satellite Services, a provider of satellite communications solutions in the African region. While acquisition is still in the...
- ZA domains reach 1 million registrations ZA Domain Name Authority (ZADNA), the regulator of .ZA, has revealed that the number of registered .ZA domain names has reached and exceeded 1 million this week. This milestone is a first in Africa as .ZA becomes the first country domain in Africa to reach 1...
- Top 5 challenges Enterprise Mobility faces in 2015 In recent years, there has been an increase in the business orientation of IT. No longer does IT work in a silo, thinking narrowly in terms of infrastructure and capabilities. The modern IT leader takes a business-first approach to technology decisions: what...
- Are politically motivated cyber-attacks becoming a reality? Following last year’s much publicised Sony cyber-attack, in which Sony executives were left red-faced following the leak of sensitive company information into the public domain, Richard Keymer Head of Pre-Sales at SecureData Africa, a security focused...
- Reps probe three firms over import duty fraud House of Representatives has started investigating three Nigerian companies, Stallion Group, Popular Foods and Olam Nigeria Limited, for allegedly colluding with their foreign investors to evade payment of revenue on… ...
- Yoruba group meets in Ibadan, endorses Jonathan Some Yoruba leaders yesterday met in Ibadan, Oyo State capital, and unanimously gave their backing for the re-election of President Goodluck Jonathan, stating that he deserved commendation for yielding to… ...
- Senate urges police to boost internal revenue Following reduced income from oil revenue, the Senate has urged the Nigeria Police to increase its internally generate revenue to enhance operations. Chairman, Senate Committee on Police Affairs, Paulinus Nwagu… ...
- Jonathan was never there for Lagosians, says Fashola Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State yesterday said despite the recurring visitation of President Goodluck Jonathan to Lagos in recent times, Lagosians will massively vote against him in the March… ...
- Oyo retired teachers protest unpaid N17bn pension Retired primary school teachers in Oyo State yesterday in Ibadan, the state capital, took to the streets in protest against the state government for nonpayment of outstanding gratuities and pensions… ...
- LASU refunds N209m fees to students Following the reversal of school fees by Lagos State University, LASU, the state government has refunded N209 million to students of the university. The money was part of the excess… ...
- Okoya-Thomas for burial March 6 The remains of business mogul, Molade Okoya-Thomas, will be committed to mother earth on March 6. This was contained in the Lagos State University, LASU, Official Bulletin released today by… ...
- Polls: Dankwambo accused of alliance with Buhari Gombe State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Shuaibu Sabulu, has denied allegation that Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo is secretly romancing the presidential candidate of All Progressives Congress, APC, General… ...
- Bird flu: Katsina poultry farmers lament low patronage The outbreak of avian influenza, also known as bird flu, is taking a toll on the marketing and consumption of poultry products in Katsina State. This is even as poultry… ...
- Nasarawa crisis: Al-Makura flags-off relief distribution Governor Umaru Al- Makura of Nasarawa State yesterday in Lafia, the state capital, flagged-off the distribution of relief materials to victims of the recent communal crisis in the state. It… ...
Buhari at Chatham House London: No Nigerian territory ’ll be lost to enemies under my govt –Buhari
The All Progressives Congress presidential candidate, Gen Muhammadu Buhari yesterday said that he will always lead from the front and no inch of Nigerian territory will be lost to the enemy. ...I’m running for President to lead Nigeria to prosperity and not adversity – Buhari
Permit me to start by thanking Chatham House for the invitation to talk about th is important topic at this crucial time. When speaking about Nigeria overseas, I normally prefer to be my country’s public relations and marketing officer, extolling her virtues and hoping to attract investments and tourists. ...Chatham House: APC chasing shadows –PDP
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has described as theatrical, the presentation of the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari, at the Chatham House, London, yesterday. ...Fresh plot to sack Jega thickens –APC
The All Progressives Congress (APC) Senate caucus yesterday raised the alarm of a fresh plot by the Presidency to prevent the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Attahiru Jega from superintending the general elections, slated for March 28 and April 11. ...Benin chief priest endorses Jonathan
Chief Priest of Benin Kingdom, Chief Nosakhare Isekhure, yesterday endorsed President Goodluck Jonathan for a second term in office, saying the president’s election cuts across party lines. ...Adamawa 2015: Factors that’ll play out
FROM DAVID MOLOMO ,YOLA The political scenario of Adamawa State calls for closer examination as… ...Obasanjo vs Jonathan: The drama and intrigues
BY CHINELO OBOGO For a country like Nigeria which is undoubtedly Africa’s most populous nation,… ...Why South East’ll vote for Buhari – APC chieftain
BY CHRISTIAN AGADIBE Chief Livinus Okwara is a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC)… ...APC manifesto impracticable, says PDP
FROM TAIWO AMODU, ABUJA The Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) has dismissed the manifesto of the… ...Jonathan blasts APC
…Says you don’t win elections on propaganda From AIDOGHIE PAULINUS, Abuja President Goodluck Jonathan,… ...MASSOB launches Biafran currency, vehicle number plates, drivers licence
The Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has launched new Biafran currency, number plates for vehicles and drivers’ licence for the people of the South East zone. ...Boko Haram kills 19 in Biu, nine in Jos
Biu in Borno State and Jos, Plateau State were attacked yesterday by bombers. While the Biu terror attack recorded 19 deaths, it was nine in Jos. ...Jonathan visits recaptured territories
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday paid a surprised visit to some of the territories recently recaptured from Boko Haram by Nigerian troops in Mubi in Adamawa and Barga in Borno states. ...I take responsibility for my actions as a dictator—Buhari
The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has said that… ...I am fit, healthy and well to lead Nigeria—Buhari
The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Major Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has stated… ...Opposition mounts against Obanikoro in Senate
Senate shifts screening, confirmation to Tuesday From ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOYI, Abuja Opposition against the screening and… ...Ekiti rigging tape: You got it wrong, Mr. President –APC
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has described as untenable and an after-thought the statement credited… ...PDP has destroyed Nigeria’s economy —Oshiomhole
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has said the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)-led Federal Government… ...Ebonyi Assembly workers embark on strike over allowance
From JEFF AMECHI AGBODO, Abakaliki Members of staff of Ebonyi State House of Assembly yesterday… ...Stomach infection outbreak hits school in Ebonyi
… 15 students hospitalised FROM JEFF AMECHI AGBODO, ABAKALIKI Barely one week after Cholera claimed… ...Don jazzy, Tiwa Savage get new endorsement deals
Tiwa Savage and Don Jazzy have added Konga to their lists of endorsements. Boss of… ...Academy Awards: ‘Birdman’ Wins Best Picture Oscar
(NYT) For the third time in four years, Hollywood’s top honor went to a… ...Why I founded National Heritage Pageant and Awards – Chinor Emeka
BY CHRISTY ANYANWU Recently, she held a show to project Nigeria’s diverse cultures . Her… ...I’m proud to receive AFRIMA awards –Angelique Kidjo
For Beninese award winning singer and songwriter, Angelique Kidjo, she feels highly honoured whenever she… ...All set for NEIHIS’ launch
All is set for the formal launch of the Nigerian Entertainment Industry Health Insurance Scheme… ...Yvonne Nelson’s boobs confession:So what if I don’t wear bras?
From SAMUEL OPOKU, Ghana While Yvonne Nelson, the sultry Ghanaian model, film producer and entrepreneur… ...How I survived auto crash –Wale Akorede
BY TOSIN AKINOLA Wale Akorede aka Okunnu is an actor/comedian and film producer. The OND… ...Janelia finally unveils hubby, Femi Sanya
US-based Nigerian singer, Janelia, has finally unveiled the love of her life. This is coming… ...Tonto Dikeh gave me the beating of my life –Queentessy Eze, actress
By CHUKS EZE Star of African Bride, Queentessy Eze, who is currently studying Theatre Arts… ...Victor Olaiya’s Baby Jowo VS Victor Uwaifo’s Joromi: Which is the more evergreen song?
By CHUKS EZE 08088868677 Music, they say, has no language barrier. And just like love,… ...
- House to Probe Rice Importers [27 Feb 2015]
- US Issues Travel Advisory on 2015 Polls [27 Feb 2015]
- NNPC: Rising OIL PRICE will Encourage Investment [27 Feb 2015]
- Honour Triumphant Soldiers, TUC Urges Army Chief [27 Feb 2015]
- FG Saves N2.1bn from Ghost Pensioners, Promises to Offset Outstanding Arrears [27 Feb 2015]
- Oshodi Mayhem: Police Arraign 18, Dismiss Political Undertone [27 Feb 2015]
- Environmental Sanitation Holds in Lagos on Saturday [27 Feb 2015]
- Ex-ANA President, Gimba, Dies at 62 [27 Feb 2015]
- LASU Refunds Fees to Students [27 Feb 2015]
- Buhari to Speak at Chatham House Thursday, May Be Heckled [26 Feb 2015]
- Lawan: I Collected $500,000 Bribe Offer [12 Jun 2012]
- Minimah Visits Baga, Rewards Triumphant Soldiers with Promotion [26 Feb 2015]
- Jonathan, Obasanjo in Sokoto, Say Shagari is Role Model to Leaders [26 Feb 2015]
- Muhammadu Buhari's Speech at Chatham House [26 Feb 2015]