Firefighters-save-property-worth-millions-of-Naira-in-Ilorin">January 25, 2015 by nan
- Kerry heads to Nigeria amid tensions over polls, Boko Haram US Secretary of State John Kerry was due in Nigeria Sunday, just weeks away from closely fought elections overshadowed by fears about mounting Boko Haram violence and poll-related unrest. Kerry announced the trip on Friday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he spoke at length on the threat to the world from Islamist extremist groups, including Boko Haram. Instead, Kerry was ...
- Nigeria considers possible 'troop surge' to fight Boko Haram Nigeria has announced it may bring home its soldiers deployed abroad to help fight the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, a move that could have significant security implications across Africa. “There is a need for a ‘troops’ surge’ in operational areas, which may require recalling Nigerian troops from peace missions abroad to enhance the operational capabilities of the Nigerian army,” Mike ...
- Easy Taxi calms Nigeria's kidnapping fears By Tim Cocks LAGOS (Reuters) - In Nigeria, one of the world's worst countries for kidnapping, getting in the wrong cab could end up costing you or your family a lot more than the agreed taxi fare. Many people have a "taxi guy" whom they trust to avoid this risk. It was a clear gap in the market for Easy Taxi, which like Silicon Valley's Uber uses a smartphone app and GPS technology to provide ...
- Nigeria says UN force not needed to tackle Boko Haram Nigeria's top security official on Friday ruled out the need for a United Nations or African Union-backed force to fight Boko Haram, saying the country and its partners could handle the threat. Possible "enhanced international support" against Boko Haram will be discussed on the sidelines of an AU summit later this month, given fears about the group's threat to regional stability ...
- In Nigeria, Kerry to discuss election, insurgent group ZURICH (AP) — Reflecting concern over the possibility of postelection violence, America's top diplomat is seeking separate meetings with Nigeria's president and his leading opponent ahead of voting as part of an effort to encourage both sides to accept the results peacefully.
- Boko Haram fighters kill 15 villagers in Nigeria's northeast Boko Haram fighters have killed 15 villagers near Maiduguri, the epicentre of the Islamist group's six-year insurgency where President Goodluck Jonathan is to hold an election rally Saturday. "The terrorists attacked Kambari village which is less than five kilometres to Maiduguri around 5:00 am. They killed 15 people and set the entire hamlet ablaze," said a security source who requested ...
- Kerry to visit Nigeria ahead of election ZURICH (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry's plan to stop in Nigeria for meetings with the two leading candidates in the upcoming presidential election signals deep U.S. concerns about postelection violence in a country already devastated by an al-Qaida-linked insurgency.
- Nigeria Eases FX Trading Rules as JPMorgan Review Looms Nigeria eased curbs on foreign-exchange trading less than a week after JPMorgan Chase & Co. said it may remove the country’s debt from some indexes because of a liquidity crunch.
- Suspected Boko Haram militants attack major Nigeria northern city By Lanre Ola MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Boko Haram militants began attacking Nigeria's major northeastern city of Maiduguri just after midnight on Sunday, military, government and local sources said. At around 9 am (0300 ET) on Sunday, a Reuters witness said shelling could be heard and that military helicopters were circling the city. The militants began the attack at the edge of ...
- Nigeria election tensions raise spectre of break-up By Tim Cocks LAGOS (Reuters) - As Nigeria approaches its most divisive and closely fought election since the end of military rule in 1999, its leaders are having to reassure voters that Africa's most populous nation will remain in one piece. The Feb. 14 vote pitting President Goodluck Jonathan, a Christian popular in his southern oil-producing Niger Delta region and in the east, against former ...
- Boko Haram Releases Hostages [Daily Trust]The Boko Haram members yesterday released 192 out of the 218 people abducted at Katarko town, Gujba local government area of Yobe state.
- Ini Edo Steps Out With New Man [Independent (Lagos)]It is no longer news that actress, Ini-Edo's marriage has hit the rock. In fact, she and her estranged ex-husband, Philip Ehiagwina, had issued statements confirming that they no longer have anything to do with each other. The marriage did not last two years and there are no children between the two.
- Another Nollywood Marriage Crashes [Independent (Lagos)]Just when we are still simmering down on the divorce of actress, Ini Edo, another actress has confirmed the break-up of her marriage. Though there have been stories that actress, Georgina Onuoha Igwegbe's marriage is over, there had been no confirmation to that effects.
- INEC Sticks to Election Time-Table As Prominent Lawyers Say They Can Constitutionally Postpone It [This Day]The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, on Friday dismissed calls for the postponement of the February 14 presidential election and the February 28 governorship election, stating that the commission would implement the elections guidelines to the letter.
- FG Will Prosecute Those Using Children As Suicide Bombers, Says Adoke [This Day]The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister for Justice, Mohammed Adoke, SAN, has said that the Federal Government would prosecute members of Boko Haram for using female children as suicide bombers.
- Attacks On Jonathan in Katsina, Bauchi - This Nonsense Must Stop, Says Presidency [This Day]Following the recent attacks on the convoy of President Goodluck Jonathan and leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Katsina and Bauchi states by suspected supporters of the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC), the Presidency on Friday reacted angrily, saying, "this nonsense must stop" and called on the opposition party to caution its supporters.
- UPN Disowns Soluade Over Adoption of Ogun Gov Candidate [Independent (Lagos)]Abeokuta -The Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) has disowned Femi Soluade, the former pro tem chairman of the party, over his role in the adoption of the Ogun State governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Gboyega Isiaka, by five opposition political parties in the state ahead of the February 28 election.
- 100 Youths Benefit From NDE Vocational Training [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -A total of 100 youths have been empowered by Vocational Skill Development department of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), FCT chapter.
- Time Magazine Bends for Nigerian TV Star [Independent (Lagos)]Very few Nigerians have made it to the pages of Time Magazine. Most times when Nigeria is mentioned, it is for negative things. However, in recent times, the nation's booming entertainment industry has made international media to take us more seriously. Many articles about Nollywood have appeared on Time magazine. Actress, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, even made the list of Time Magazine's most influential people. Another actress, Kiki Omeili, recently made it to the magazine, but the story became sour.
- Toyin Aimaku Blasts Celebrities Flaunting Money [Independent (Lagos)]Actress, Toyin Aimaku, has condemned her colleagues who show off their wealth on social media.
- Enugu Gov Candidates for Debate Monday [Independent (Lagos)]Enugu -The two frontline governorship candidates in Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Okechukwu Ezea of the All Progressives Congress (APC) are billed to appear before the business community on Monday for a debate.
- We Did Not Authorise Any Advert Using Fela's Picture - Yeni Kuti [Independent (Lagos)]The Anikulapo-Kuti family has frowned at a recent advertisement on some national dailes using the picture of Fela Anikulapo Kuti to score a political point.
- CMD Urges Health Workers to End Strike [Independent (Lagos)]Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), Akwa Ibom State, Prof. Etete Peters, has appealed to striking medical workers to heed the federal government's pleas and negotiation so far to return to work in respect to the sanctity of life.
- Ibori Destined for Greatness Despite Travails - Ayodele [Independent (Lagos)]Prominent seer and founder of INRI Evangelical Spiritual Church, Primate Ayodele Elijah Babatunde, has said a great future lies ahead of former Delta State Governor, Chief James Ibori, despite his travails.
- Unesco, Nuj Advise Journalists On Safety [Independent (Lagos)]Saturday -Media professionals have been advised to adhere to safety standards in order to enhance their profession.
- Alum Ikaka Estates Launches Nationwide Housing Lottery [Independent (Lagos)]Contributing its quota in assisting the housing policy of the Federal Government in meeting the housing needs of the teeming Nigerian populace, Alum Ikaka Estates Limited, recently launched its nationwide housing development lottery.
- Rangers May Lose Captain to Dolphins [Independent (Lagos)]One of Nigeria's representatives at next season's CAF Confederation Cup, Dolphins is closing in on a move for Rangers centre-back, Cyril Oriaku.
- Ekiti Federal Varsity Shut Over Plan to Sack Workers [Independent (Lagos)]Ado-Ekiti -The Federal University, Oye Ekiti, has been shut down over unresolved workers' crisis, thus becoming the second federal institution to be closed down in Ekiti State in less than one week .
- I'll Create 50,000 Jobs in Three Years - Ladoja [Independent (Lagos)]Ibadan -Governorship candidate of the Accord Party in Oyo State, Rashidi Ladoja, has promised that he would provide more than 50,000 jobs in the first three years, if he were elected governor.
- Yoruba Youths Want Politicians to Take Oath in Shrines [Independent (Lagos)]Judging by the failure of elected politicians to deliver dividends of democracy as promised, the Yoruba Youth Council President, Comrade Eric Oluwole, has advocated a situation where politicians from South-west are made to take oath in Ogun or Sango shrines.
- Players' Movement Detrimental to NPFL Development [Independent (Lagos)]Some seasons ago, the likes of Endurance Idahor, Kabiru Alausa, Timothy Anjembe, Joseph Akpala, Orok Akarandut, Ahmed Musa, Jude Aneke and Victor Namo were once crowned top scorers of the the Nigerian Professional Football League, NPFL/Glo Premier League.
- Unilag Lifts Ban On Students' Unionism [Independent (Lagos)]Lagos -Authorities of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), on Friday, lifed ban on students' union activities in the institution.
- Ik Ogbonna Showers Praises On Lover [Independent (Lagos)]The girlfriend of Nigerian actor, IK Ogbonna, Sonia, turned a year older on Monday and the excited lover boy took to Instagram page to celebrate his sweetheart. The handsome guy posted his picture of him and his sweetheart with the romantic caption that reads: "I always wondered if angels really existed until I met one Sonia. I never believed someone could touch my heart without passing through surgical procedures. But then again, I feel your touch in my heart with every beating second."
- Rice Import Duty Debtors Must Pay - Jonathan [Independent (Lagos)]President Goodluck Jonathan has approved N16 billion to be deployed for the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development's 2015 dry season farming.
- Mark Condemns Attack On Jonathan's Convoy [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -President of the Senate, Senator David Mark, has in unmistakable terms condemned the consistent attacks on President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) campaign train describing the actions of the perpetrators as despicable .
- Fayose Signs 2015 Budget [Independent (Lagos)]Ado-Ekiti -Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose, on Friday, signed the state's 2015 Appropriation Bill of N80.9 billion, and three other bills into law.
- Four Die in Enugu Auto Crash [Independent (Lagos)]Enugu -Four persons were feared dead in a ghastly auto accident at IBB Flyover along Enugu-Abakiliki expressway on Friday.
- Pray for Tinubu, Cleric Tells APC, Others [Independent (Lagos)]Presiding preacher of Christ Apostolic Church (CAC), Idi-Osan, Ogun State, Prophet Samuel Olayemi Owoyemi has called on members of All Progressives Congress (APC) to pray for the national leader of the party, Bola Tinubu as the nation looks forward to the general elections.
- Elumelu - the Hunter Now the Hunted [Independent (Lagos)]With the ongoing investigations and counter-evidence of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), top-ranking members of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) might be warming up for jail terms on the alleged bribe of N750 million that the chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Health, Ndudi Elumelu offered them to become the next governor of Delta State on the platform of the PDP.
- DHQ Blogsite Hacked [This Day]The Defence Headquarters (DHQ)' information blog site, defenceinfo.mil.ng, that was hacked into in the early hours of Friday, 23 January, 2015 has been restored to full operation.
- Yoruba Actor Taiwo Hassan Ogogo Oba Esa Musical Album Launches Today In Ikeja Lagos
- Photos: Nollywood Actor Victor Osuagwu Made Chief In Mbaise Imo State By Udo Abia Eze Ukeje
- Lola Idije, Wunmi Yetunde, Iya Awero, Tunde Owokoniran Dazzle In New Photoshoot
- Kunle Afolayan Pictured Making Daughter’s Hair
- Photos: Ronke Oshodi Oke, Moji Olaiya, Foluke Daramola, Rally For APC In Badagry Lagos
- Foluke Daramola’s Husband Supports APC’s Ambode Says PDP’s Agbaje Will Mess Up Lagos
- In Pictures: Jide Kosoko, Soji Omobanke, Fathia Join Buhari, APC Change Group
- Check Out Fathia Balogun Williams 2015 iPosh Looks [PHOTOS]
- Treasure Daniels’ Daughter Is Muna Obiekwe’s Secret Child, Recently Deceased Nollywood Actor Has 3 Baby Mamas
- “Nollywood Actresses & AGN Leaders Now Sleep With Politicians” – Actor Blasts Colleagues Over Muna Obiekwe’s Death
- Funke Akindele Attends Ambode 2015 Governorship Campaign Dinner [PHOTOS]
- Photos: Mercy Johnson & Kids Return To Nigeria, Storms Movie Set With Uche Nancy
- Halima Abubakar Fighting Depression, Nollywood Actress Attempted Suicide Twice
- Photos: Mother Of Nigerian Baby Thrown Into Lagos Lagoon By Navy Officer Father Cries Out For Justice
- “Jonathan Must Win Or There’ll Be War” – Niger Delta Thugs Join Asari Dokubo To Threaten Nigerians
- Container Fell On Buses In Ketu Lagos Bus Stop, Fatal Road Accident Killed 4
- Gombe Governor Dankwambo Convoy In Fatal Car Accident, 14 Killed In Bauchi
- Alaba Market Trader Arrested For Robbery Warns Nigerians “Never Envy The Riches Of The Wicked”
- Jonathan’s Convoy Stoned, Posters Destroyed In Bauchi, 6 DSS Security Officers Guarding GEJ Injured
- Photos: 5 Nigerian Policemen Arrested In Lagos For Taking N150K Bribe From Fraudster
- Armed Robbers Attack FourSquare Gospel Church, Steal N6M In Ibara Abeokuta, Dimeji Bankole’s Aide Arrested
- Photo: Cameroon Military Freed German Kidnapped In Nigeria By Boko Haram
- Prostitute Stabbed To Death At Car Park In Victoria Island Lagos
- SSS Officials Attacked Policemen Over N300 Toll Gate Fee At MMIA Airport Lagos
- Photo: Cultists Attacked, Stabbed APC Supporters During Lagos Rally As Police Watch In Horror
- 12 Nigerians, Drug Dealers On Death Row As Indonesia Executes Solomon Chibuike Okafor & Daniel Enemuo
- Soldiers Take Over Port Harcourt Stadium SOLDIERS have barricaded the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt three days after Rivers [Saturday, 24 January 2015 21:16]
- Buhari In Ondo, Warns Against Voting For PDP PRESIDENTIAL candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) [Saturday, 24 January 2015 21:05]
- PwC Joins Trust In Fight Against Ebola THE Africa Against Ebola Solidarity Trust, a private sector initiative, has announced that [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:40]
- Agbaje, Ambode Engage Lagosians On Issues-based Campaigns •Fashola, Cleric Canvass People’s Support THE Archbishop of Resurrection Praise Ministry, Sampson [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:59]
- 92% Of IDPs Live In Host Communities, Says IOM Report A RECENT report by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has indicated that 92.4 per [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:34]
- Delta 2015: Emerhor Says No To Postponement Of Elections AS the February 2015 general elections heats up, the Delta State All Progressives Congress (APC) [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:56]
- Why We Are Holding Debate On Poverty In UNILAG, By ASAP • As Building Department Begins Annual Lecture Series CO-CHAIR of the Academics Stand Against [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:31]
- Teaching Hospitals Appeal To Striking Health Workers THE Chief Medical Director (CMD), University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), Professor Etete [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:46]
- NBA Laments Edo House On Law Review THE Benin branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Saturday lamented what it described as a [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:29]
- APC Canada Chapter Supports Buhari/Osinbajo Presidential Ticket THE Canada chapter of the All Progressive Congress (APC) has thrown its weight behind the [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:45]
- Odivwri Unveils The Pains Of A Country On Tuesday THE Pains Of A Country, a book written by Mr. Eddy Odivwri, Deputy Editor of THISDAY [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:25]
- Workers Protest In Ilorin Over Pay OVER 50 disengaged workers of the liquidated Nigeria Paper Mills Jebba, Kwara state, Saturday, [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:43]
- Ihedioha Partners NTI On Education THE Imo State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship aspirant and Deputy Speaker of the House [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:41]
- How plummeting crude oil prices may affect investment decisions • Stakeholders identify energy affordability concerns in Nigeria WORLD energy leaders have [Wednesday, 21 January 2015 18:31]
- FG targeting $68.1 billion fresh FDIs from free zones MANAGING Director of the Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority, Oluwagbemiga Kuye, said [Wednesday, 21 January 2015 18:29]
- Local operators lament govts discriminatory business policies TRADERS group, under the aegis of the Coalition of Markets and Traders Association, said some of [Wednesday, 21 January 2015 18:27]
- Centre wants MDAs to utilise bilateral agreements for manpower devt THE Centre for Management Development (CMD) on Wednesday called on Ministries, Departments and [Wednesday, 21 January 2015 18:25]
- Eagles Star, Egwuekwe, Fails West Ham Test Warri Wolves, Dolphins Suffer Defeats in Super Six SUPER Eagles and Warri Wolves skipper Azubuike [Saturday, 24 January 2015 20:12]
The Kafin-Hausa Local Government Area of Jigawa on Saturday said it is targeting more than 80,000 children for vaccination against polio in the ongoing immunisation. The Manager, National Programme on Immunisation in the area, Alhaji Abdullahi Sarawa, said this while inspecting the exercise in Kafin-Hausa. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the January round… [Read More…]
Firefighters save property worth millions of Naira in Ilorin No fewer than four shops were saved from being destroyed by fire in Ilorin on Saturday, following the quick intervention of the men of the Kwara Fire Service. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the incidence occurred opposite Yusjib Industrial Medi-care Hospital in Offa Garage area of Ilorin in the afternoon. The Firefighters, who 1-Comment-
Germany-has-decided-to-stop-arms-exports-to-Saudi-Arabia-because-of-“instability-in-the-region,”-German-daily-Bild-reported-on-Sunday.-Weapons-orders-from-Saudi-Arabia-have-either-been-“rejected,-pure-and-simple,”-or-deferred-for-further-consideration,-the-newspaper-said,-adding-that-the-information-has-not-been-officially-confirmed.-The-decision-was-taken… [Read-More…]-US-troops-to-train-Syria-rebels">January 25, 2015 by afp
Germany has decided to stop arms exports to Saudi Arabia because of “instability in the region,” German daily Bild reported on Sunday. Weapons orders from Saudi Arabia have either been “rejected, pure and simple,” or deferred for further consideration, the newspaper said, adding that the information has not been officially confirmed. The decision was taken… [Read More…]
US troops to train Syria rebels The first advance detachment of US troops responsible for training moderate Syrian opposition forces will begin arriving in the Middle East in the next few days, a US Department of Defence official has said. Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary, said the troops, mostly special operations forces, were authorised last week and would begin 2-Comments-
World-leaders-ramped-up-pressure-on-Moscow-Sunday-to-stop-pro-Kremlin-rebels-from-embarking-on-a-major-new-offensive-in-eastern-Ukraine-after-rocket-fire-killed-at-least-30-people-in-a-strategic-government-held-port.-The-mayor-of-Mariupol’s-office-said-97-people-were-also-wounded-by-dozens-of-long-distance-rockets-that-smashed-into-a… [Read-More…]-Voting-begins-in-Greece-general-election">January 25, 2015 by afp
World leaders ramped up pressure on Moscow Sunday to stop pro-Kremlin rebels from embarking on a major new offensive in eastern Ukraine after rocket fire killed at least 30 people in a strategic government-held port. The mayor of Mariupol’s office said 97 people were also wounded by dozens of long-distance rockets that smashed into a… [Read More…]
Voting begins in Greece general election Greece has begun voting in an election expected to bring in a government led by the left-wing Syriza party, which has promised to take on international lenders and roll back painful austerity measures imposed during years of economic crisis. Barring a huge upset, victory for Syriza, which has led opinion polls for months, would produce 59-Comments-
Security-agencies,-including-Police,-the-Department-of-State-Services-and-the-Army,-have-restructured-the-security-plan-in-the-presidential-convoy-to-forestall-further-attacks-on-President-Goodluck-Jonathans-entourage-in-his-ongoing-presidential-campaigns.-On-Saturday,-policemen-and-soldiers-prevented-a-huge-crowd-from-coming-close-to-the-president.-The-few-people-that-came… [Read-More…]-Jonathan,-Amaechi-lock-horns-over-Rivers-stadium">January 25, 2015 by Adelani Adepegba and Fidelis Soriwei
Security agencies, including Police, the Department of State Services and the Army, have restructured the security plan in the presidential convoy to forestall further attacks on President Goodluck Jonathans entourage in his ongoing presidential campaigns. On Saturday, policemen and soldiers prevented a huge crowd from coming close to the president. The few people that came… [Read More…]
Jonathan, Amaechi lock horns over Rivers stadium President Goodluck Jonathan and Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State locked horns again on Saturday over the use of the Rivers State stadium for a Peoples Democratic Party rally. The two fell out with each other several months ago leading to the defection of Amaechi from the PDP to the opposition All Progressives Congress. The 260-Comments-
The-wife-of-the-All-Progressives-Congress-Presidential-candidate,-Mrs.-Aisha-Muhammadu-Buhari,-has-said-her-husband,-General-Buhari,-will-be-guided-by-provisions-of-the-Nigerian-Constitution-in-all-of-his-actions.-Mrs.-Buhari-said-this-in-an-interview-with-newsmen-shortly-after-the-inaugural-meeting-of-APC-Women-Presidential-Campaign-Initiative,-in-Abuja,… [Read-More…]-Poll-shift-may-return-military-rule-—Ex-generals">January 25, 2015 by John Alechenu
The wife of the All Progressives Congress Presidential candidate, Mrs. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari, has said her husband, General Buhari, will be guided by provisions of the Nigerian Constitution in all of his actions. Mrs. Buhari said this in an interview with newsmen shortly after the inaugural meeting of APC Women Presidential Campaign Initiative, in Abuja,… [Read More…]
Poll shift may return military rule —Ex-generals Some retired senior military officers have warned against the postponement of the February general elections to avoid military takeover of the administration of the country. They warned that the postponement might lead to anarchy in the country, which, according to them, may lead to military intervention. A former Director of Procurement in the Defence Headquarters, 370-Comments-
Niger-Delta-militants-have-threatened-to-take-up-arms-again-if-President-Goodluck-Jonathan-failed-to-win-in-the-coming-February-14-presidential-election.-The-former-militants-spoke-when-they-met-with-the-Bayelsa-State-Governor-Seriake-Dickson-on-Friday.-They-said-Jonathans-re-election-was-not-negotiable.-Addressing-the-audience,-a-leader-of-the-militant,… [Read-More…]-Actress-Toyin-Aimakhu,-husband-separate">January 25, 2015 by Simon Utebor
Niger Delta militants have threatened to take up arms again if President Goodluck Jonathan failed to win in the coming February 14 presidential election. The former militants spoke when they met with the Bayelsa State Governor Seriake Dickson on Friday. They said Jonathans re-election was not negotiable. Addressing the audience, a leader of the militant,… [Read More…]
Actress Toyin Aimakhu, husband separate Barely two years after popular Nigerian actress, Toyin Aihmaku, tied the knots with her actor hubby, Niyi Johnson, at the Ikoyi Registry in Lagos, the pair are said to have parted ways. The news, which filtered in on Saturday, came as a rude shock to fans of the fun-loving couple known for displaying affection for
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week January 2015 is almost at a close; however, the industry is already buzzing. During the course of the week Microsoft unveiled some of the core features of its latest operating system, Windows 10. Also gracing the headlines this week was social media application, WhatsApp. WhatsApp hit the headlines twice this week as the as a ...
- Sub-Saharan Africa Pay TV revenues to hit $6.22 billion in 2020 Pay TV revenues in Sub-Saharan Africa will reach $6.22 billion in 2020, up from $3.54 billion in 2014 and $1.92 billion in 2010, according to a new report from Digital TV Research. Excluding South Africa, pay TV revenues will climb from $0.83 billion in 2010...
- 10 vital tips to avoid excessively high mobile phone bills More and more Africans are consuming value-added services over their mobile devices as data charges and smartphones become cheaper. With the festive season that just passed – most of us could do with advice on spending less money on our mobile devices. In...
- CIOs and HR directors should partner to deliver business value As the human resources (HR) function in most companies becomes more tech-driven and automated, so does the business partnership between the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and the HR director become increasingly important. That’s the word from Fanie Jansen,...
- WhatsApp makes a move to PC Popular messaging service “WhatsApp” has made its way to PC browsers across the African continent. The reveal was made public by the firm’s CEO Jan Koum – on the company’s Facebook page. Loum stated that: “Today, for the...
- GIBS to create digital awareness among business leaders The University of Pretoria’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) and Dimension Data revealed the formation of the Dimension Data Programme in Digital Disruption, which will be funded by Dimension Data through a sponsorship endowment to GIBS. The...
- Zimbabwe: Mobile subscriptions on the rise in Q3 The total number of subscribers in Zimbabwe’s telecommunication sector grew by 2.6 percent to 11.4 million in the third quarter of 2014 from 11.1 million in 2013. This is according to the Postal and Telecommunication Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe...
- Technology will drive growth in Africa over the next five years Chika Nwobi and Kresten Buch of Nigerian startup accelerator and funding programme 440ng discuss, with IT News Africa, the tech trends which will shape Africa in the next five years. Africa is booming and a lot of this economic growth stems from investment in...
- Securing the new era of big data In the digital age, information is the new currency. And in order to get information, enterprises are mining data – and lots of it – for the knowledge that it can yield. On the scale of Internet commerce or social networks, the amount of data can be...
- Microsoft unveils Windows 10 with free upgrade option On 21 January 2015, at a press and analyst event in Redmond Satya Nadella, Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Operating Systems Group, Joe Belfiore, corporate vice president, Operating Systems Group, and Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, among others, gave...
- MTN reorganising Business Unit to enhance client experience in SA MTN South Africa has announced the start of a process to reorganise its MTN Business unit, to strengthen its competitive advantage in the enterprise business solutions market. MTN is reorganising the unit to implement a new go-to-market structure that will...
- Kenya: Nokia to modernise Safaricom network infrastructure In a public statement, Kenyan operator Safaricom has revealed that it has selected Nokia Networks as one of its partners to modernise and expand its 2G and 3G network infrastructure. In addition to this, Nokia will also assist Safaricom to launch the first...
- MTN inks major Mobile Money partnership for Africa Online money transfer service WorldRemit and telecoms operator MTN have inked a global partnership that will enable WorldRemit customers to send remittances instantly to MTN’s Mobile Money customers. The agreement is expected to extend WorldRemit’s...
- HDS set to redefine data mobility & operational efficiencies Hitachi Data Systems Corporation (HDS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. has announced new capabilities in its entire Hitachi Content Platform portfolio. Now each system delivers true peace of mind in a wholly integrated and secure data, workforce...
- Will technology transform healthcare in 2015? As technology has become more integrated with healthcare, consumers and medical professionals alike are adjusting to new ways of doing things. However, will technology transform healthcare in 2015? Emily Ross, director of private healthcare search engine...
- Fintech startup reveals money transfer service for West Africa Azimo, an online money transfer service, has revealed that consumers across Europe can now send money to recipients in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo in West African CFA francs for instant cash pick-up. Michael...
- Attacks on Jonathan in North, ploy to shift poll –APC Buhari in Ekiti, blasts FG on insecurity, graft •President campaigns in Maiduguri, denies sponsorship of insurgent attacks The All Progressives Congress, APC, has accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, of… ...
- Explosions disrupt APC rally in Rivers …as soldiers take over Ikwerre stadium Unknown arsonists yesterday bombed the National College Field, venue of a scheduled governorship rally of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Okrika, headquarters of… ...
- Village head, 29 others feared killed in Borno attack At least 30 people, including a village head (name withheld) were on Friday evening feared killed when some suspected insurgents attacked Kambari village in Kinduga Local Government area of Borno… ...
- Devaluation: Banks cut credit lines to fuel marketers …consumers accuse oil firms of exploitation over high diesel price Fuel importers are in for tough times this year as the combined effect of oil market uncertainties, shortage of foreign… ...
- SURE-P absorbs 32, 000 graduates in S’East The Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) of the Subsidy Re-investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P), Federal Ministry of Finance, has said that it had trained and absorbed about 32, 124 graduates from… ...
- AIG Mbu Joseph Mbu: Police officer in bed with controversy Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Mbu Joseph Mbu, was last Tuesday redeployed by the Nigeria Police to Zone 2, which comprise Lagos and Ogun. Mbu was posted with 27… ...
- God is my godfather, El-Rufai tells supporters Ahead of next month general elections, the gubernatorial candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, yesterday said Almighty God is his godfather and not any… ...
- Abductors of community leader demand N100m ransom The yet-to-be identified abductors of the President General of Udu Kingdom, in Udu council area of Delta State, Chief Steve Sokoh, have reached the victim’s family demanding a ransom of… ...
- Insecurity, unemployment, corruption necessitate change of govt – Buhari The All Progressives Congress, APC, Presidential Candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, said yesterday that large scale insecurity, unemployment and corruption are the reasons necessitating change of government through the February 14… ...
- I’ll be First Lady if it’s constitutional Mrs. Aisha Mohammadu Buhari, wife of the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, General Mohammadu Buhari (rtd) has said should her husband win the February polls, she would… ...
PDP is dying –Tapgun
FROM KENNY ASHAKA, JOS Sir Fidelis Tapgun, former governor of Plateau State, erstwhile Nigeria’s Ambassador… ...You can’t force Oyo workers to vote for you, Makinde tells Ajimobi
FROM IBRAHIM AKANBI, IBADAN The governorship candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Oyo… ...PDP sponsors attacks on president in the North –APC
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has pointedly accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of sponsoring… ...PPA govt will introduce free education in Abia –Udensi
FROM OKEY SAMPSON, ABA Progressive Peoples’ Alliance (PPA) has promised to make education free in Abia… ...I’m angry with Jonathan–Dokubo Asari
BY CHIDI OBINECHE Alhaji Mujahid Dokubo Asari, ex-militant and leader of Niger Delta Volunteers Force… ...Don’t attack Jonathan, Shettima urges Borno citizens
■ As PDP’s campaign lands in Maiduguri FROM ISMAIL OMIPIDAN, KADUNA Governor Kashim Shettima of… ...Ondo PDP: Oke pledges support for Mimiko
Chieftain and Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) candidate in the October 2012 gubernatorial election in Ondo… ...Buhari’s wife leads APC Women campaign council
Wife of the All P r o g r e s sives Congress (APC) presidential… ...Delta PDP raises over N800m for February polls
FROM PAUL OSUYI, ASABA It was naira rain on Thursday night in Asaba, the Delta… ...Abians want Otti as next gov – Ubani
Abia State indigenes at home and abroad are rooting for the emergence of the former… ...Re-elect me, I’ll end Boko Haram, Jonathan tells Borno people
FROM TIMOTHY OLANREWAJU, MAIDUGURI Pr e s i d e n t Goodluck Jonathan yesterday… ...Group disowns Kanu…Vows to deliver Abia to Jonathan
The True Abians for Development, TAD, initiative has dissociated itself from a statement made by Ambassador… ...Jang advises Buhari to surrender
FROM MARIAM ALESHINLOYE AGBOOLA, JOS Governor Jonah David Jang of Plateau State has added his… ...New move of Bayelsa TAN worries PDP stakeholders
The chilly air between the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan and Bayelsa State Governor Seriake… ...We’ll end looting in Lagos, says Agbaje
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) gubernatorial candidate in Lagos, Jimi Agbaje, vowed yesterday to end… ...Mark slams APC, condemns attacks on PDP
FROM ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOYI, ABUJA Senate President David Mark yesterday condemned the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s… ...We didn’t authorise advert using Fela’s picture – Kuti
The Anikulapo-Kuti family has frowned at a recent advertisement on some national dailies, using the… ...60-yr-old man who sleeps with his 14-yr-old daughter says…
“My mistake is allowing her to live with me when I know that I do… ...Brief history of major cult groups Ekpoma
National Association of Seadogs (Pirate Confraternity) This cult group was the first identifiable cult group… ...Edo: Inside story of killings, inter-cult clashes in Ekpoma
■ Students, mechanics, artisans, farmers members of groups ■ Police connection By FRED ITUA, just… ...My pricing is just right –Ifeoluwapo Ajibike, CEO, Beads Speak
Ifeoluwapo Ajibike holds a master’s degree in English but has settled for beads making and… ...Thank God I lost my job – Babatunde, CEO, Greenpath Cleaners
By HENRY OKONKWO Gutter cleaning business is one of the most untapped business opportunities in… ...Networking is the livewire of business –Clara Okoro, CEO, Brandworld Media
Clara Chinwe Okoro believes entrepreneurship must have been wired in her DNA. One of her… ...Emerhor to set aside N10bn business fund for Delta entreprenuers
Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Delta State and renowned banker, Olorogun O’tega Emerhor, has promised to set aside N10 billion as empowerment funds within the first 100 days of administration if elected. ...IPMAN’S 2 refineries ready in 18 months
The two refineries being established by the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) are expected to be ready in 18 months to boost fuel supply and reduce refined crude price when completed. ...Sterling Bank sponsors Social Media Award
Ahead of the Sterling Bank’s sponsored Social Media Awards Africa holding in Lagos tomorrow, the Chairman of the Award Advisory Board and founder, Social Media Week, Mr. Toby Daniels, has arrived Lagos for the ceremony. ...US energy group plans to inject 250MW to national grid
Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, has described the planned injection of 250MW of electricity into the national grid by Missouri American Energy, USA, as a great and feasible feat. ...FG pays 1,669 ex-PHCN workers’ benefits next week
FROM DENNIS MERNYI, ABUJA The Implementation Committee on Payment of Power Holding Company of Nigeria… ...PENCOM assets hit N4.6trn in 10 years
BY BIMBOLA OYESOLA The National Pension Commission (PenCom), said it has generated over N4.6 trillion… ...How we achieved uninterrupted power supply in rural communities –Minister
BY ADEWALE SANYAOLU Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, yesterday said the Federal Government’s special intervention… ...How I handle female fans–Joseph Benjamin
By Christian Agadibe Actor, singer and Project Fame presenter, Joseph Benjamin is one of the… ...Behold, Chief Victor Osuagwu
A list actor and Chairman of the Lagos State chapter of the Actors Guild of… ...‘Expect bigger, better AMVCA 2015’
For the Regional Director, MNET (West), Wangi Mba-Uzoukwu, 2015 promises to be an exciting year… ...Adiat Disu makes Forbes’ list of Youngest Power Women in Africa
Adiat Disu, daughter of former Nigerian international, Mr. Tajudeen Disu, was among the six young… ...I, carry cocaine? Never! –Hassan Taiwo (Ogogo)
Popular Yoruba actor and movie producer, Babatunde Al-Hassan Taiwo aka Ogogo, has definitely carved a… ...Dare Art Alade VS Timi Dakolo: Who’s the better R&B singer?
Dare Art Alade: Dare Art Alade aka Dara is a multi-talented artiste and son of… ...Tuface takes Vote Not Fight campaign to The Sun Awards
Tuface Idibia is leaving no stone unturned in making sure that Nigeria experiences violent-free elections… ...I never knew I could be this big! –Uti Nwachukwu
By Bolatito Adebayo Big brother star, Uti Nwachukwu, has confessed that he never believed that… ...De’boyed set to rock 2015
American based Nigerian artiste, De’boyed, is set to rule the music sense in 2015 with more hit singles from his debut album, Money Talks, which has over 14 tracks even as his twin singles,Let’s Celebrate and Chinyere, continue to rock the airwaves. ...Why I can’t act with dad –Femi Adebayo, Oga Bello’s son
FROM TOLU LANIYAN, IBADAN Femi Adebayo has become one of the most sought-after thespians in… ...
- Seplat granted deadline extension for Afren takeover - Emerging Nigerian oil company, Seplat Petroleum Development Company Plc, has been granted an extension to the deadline for announcing whether it intends to make a firm offer for oil producer Afren, the London Stock Exchange (LSE)-listed firm said on Monday. “The board of the company has received the consent of the UK Takeover Panel for... This content is for Free and Gold members only.Log In RegisterJanuary 25, 2015No CommentRead More EcoBank to petition $15m compensation ruling for Ex-CEO January 25, 2015 No Comment Pan-African banking group, Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI), has revealed that it will challenge the ruling by a commercial bank directing it to pay former Chief Executive, Thierry Tanoh, $15 million. “It’s not a fair judgement and we don’t think that the commercial court is the competent court in which this matter should have been held,” said... This content is for Free and Gold members only.Log In Register Continue reading … More cost-cutting, streamlining for mining firms in 2015 January 25, 2015 No Comment In an era of commodity price fluctuations, mining companies must lean towards cost cutting, innovation, and capital planning to survive, writes Edozie Ifebi Mining businesses will have to adjust their strategies to take survive the changing global market conditions, says financial advisory firm Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu. Factors that have made markets more challenging in 2015... This content is for Free and Gold members only.Log In Register Continue reading … Mansard tap into Nigeria robust economy as premium grows by 18.12 percent January 25, 2015 No Comment Mansard Insurance Plc is tapping into Nigeria’s robust economy as third quarter premium increased by 18.12 percent according to analysis of recent financial statement. For the first nine months through September 2014, Mansard’s gross premium income increased by 18.12 percent to N10.82 billion from N9.16 billion the same period of the corresponding year (Q3) 2013.... This content is for Free and Gold members only.Log In Register Continue reading … Sony delays official submission of its third quarter results after hacking January 23, 2015 No Comment Sony Corp said it was delaying the official submission of its third-quarter results due to the massive cyberattack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, which debilitated network systems at the Hollywood studio. Sony said it will still hold a news conference on Feb. 4, the originally scheduled date of its results announcement, to give updated financial forecasts