- Nigeria's free-wheeling media fears crackdown over Boko Haram battle By David Dolan and Tim Cocks ABUJA/LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria's press is traditionally free to write almost anything about anyone - whether it's true or not. After 15 years of democracy, journalists believe the state is trying to tame the vibrant, prolific media during its faltering campaign to stamp out the militant Islamist group. For Femi Adesina, now editor-in-chief of Nigeria's top tabloid ...
- Cameroon villagers live in terror of Nigeria's Boko Haram In the villages that line the border with Nigeria, even those charged with protecting Cameroonians from Boko Haram fighters fear the fall of darkness. The Nigeria-born Islamist group has stepped up raids into northern Cameroon in recent days, murdering and stealing with impunity despite military efforts to clamp down on their bloody insurgency. On Sunday local police said one of their officers ...
- Nigeria Leads the World in Rate of ‘Terrorism’ Fatalities Nigeria has the world’s highest casualty rate from ``terrorism'' with an average of 24 deaths per attack out of 146 recorded in the year through June, according to risk consultancy Maplecroft.
- Nigeria school offers hope to children caught in Islamist strife Aisha Abubakar was at home two years ago when Boko Haram Islamists stormed through the door. Children in Nigeria's deeply impoverished north face immense challenges in accessing education, and for the fatherless like 13-year-old Aisha the obstacles are even tougher. With an English textbook spread on a wooden table in a sparsely furnished classroom, Aisha vowed that Boko Haram -- which kidnapped ...
- 11 parents of Nigeria's abducted girls die LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — In the three months since Islamic extremists kidnapped more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls, 11 of their parents have died, town residents say.
- Nigeria holds rate at 12 pct, wants to lower it later Nigeria's central bank held interest rates at 12 percent on Tuesday, keeping them at the same level as the last two years, but its new governor said he would be seeking a gradual reduction in rates over the next five years. Governor Godwin Emefiele, at his first Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting since he was sworn in last month, flagged "underlying inflationary pressure" as one reason to ...
- Nigeria CPI to Thwart Emefiele Rate Cut in Debut: Africa Credit Nigeria's Central Bank Governor Godwin Emefiele. Close Nigeria's Central Bank Governor Godwin Emefiele. Nigeria's Central Bank Governor Godwin Emefiele.
- Extremists kill more than 100 in northeast Nigeria MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Boko Haram extremists have killed more than 100 people and hoisted their black and white flag over a town left undefended by Nigeria's military, just 85 kilometers (53 miles) from the northeastern state capital of Maiduguri, a civil defense spokesman and a human rights advocate said Saturday.
- 11 parents of Nigeria's kidnapped girls die LAGOS, Nigeria – Nearly a dozen parents of the more than 200 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls will never see their daughters again.
- Nigeria too important to disintegrate –UN Representative of the United Nations Development Programme in Nigeria, Mr. Daouda Toure, has described Nigeria as too important, economically and politically to disintegrate, and called on all leaders to put their acts together and solve the current security challenges facing the country. Toure spoke just as the Director General of the National Institute for Policy... [Read More...]
- Jonathan Meets Chibok Parents, Escaped Girls [Premium Times]President Goodluck Jonathan is meeting with 51 Chibok schoolgirls who escaped from their abductors days after the extremist Boko Haram sect stole them from their school dormitory and herded them into its Sambisa forest hideout.
- Chibok Parents, Escaped Girls Arrive for Meeting with President [This Day]Almost 100 days after the over 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped from their hostel at Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, some 160 parents of the abducted girls as well as 57 of the students who escaped from their captors, will meet with President Goodluck Jonathan today at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
- Dora Akunyili - Taking on the Fake Drugs Trade [The Conversation]By Pete Kingsley, University of Edinburgh
- Chibok Girls' Parents Arrive Aso Rock [Daily Trust]Abuja -Dozens of parents of the abducted schoolgirls of Chibok, Borno State, arrived the Presidential Villa Abuja this morning to meet with President Goodluck Jonathan.
- Jonathan, Mark Meet the Chibok Girls' Parents [Independent]President Goodluck Jonathan is currently meeting with parents of the schoolgirls abducted from Chibok, Borno State on April 14 behind closed-doors.
- #BringBackOurGirls - Jonathan Meets Parents of Abducted Schoolgirls [Vanguard]Relatives of the Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram 100 days ago met with President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday for the first time since the girls were seized.
- Govt Stops Registration of 'Non-Indigenes' [Daily Trust]The Federal Government has directed governors whose states are registering and deporting 'non-indigenes' to stop the practice forthwith, describing such move as more dangerous than the Boko Haram insurgency.
- Rights Group Lament Spate of Impeachments [Daily Trust]Lagos -A group, Coalition of Nigerian Civil Rights, has decried the gale of impeachments across the country.
- Leading U.S. Hair Brand, Design Essential, Launches in Nigeria [This Day]McBride Research Labs, Inc., the globally renowned manufacturer of leading hair care brand, Design Essentials, will launch its range of products in Nigeria during a business activation event tagged "Design Essentials Launch & Consumer Awareness Day" scheduled to hold in Lagos on Thursday, July 24, 2014.
- We Won't Concede Any Part of Nigeria to Terrorists, Says Military [This Day]The Defence Headquarters yesterday denied knowledge of a foreign flag, purportedly hoisted in some parts of Damboa village, in Borno State, by members of the Boko Haram sect.
- President Jonathan to Assure Chibok Parents, Says Aide [VOA]Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan will reassure parents and community leaders from Chibok that his administration is committed to rescuing the more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist militant group Boko Haram, a presidential spokesman said Monday.
- Six Killed in Fresh Cholera Outbreak in Kano [Guardian]Kano -NO fewer than six persons have died of cholera in Kafin Dalawa Village in Tudunwada Wada local council of Kano State.
- Minister Laments Escalation of Boko Haram Attacks in Borno [This Day]The Minister of State for Power, Hon. Mohammed Wakil, has lamented the escalation of Boko Haram attacks in Borno state, particularly in Damboa town, his town. However, he assured that the federal government was ready to send more military and humanitarian support to the people.
- Nyako - Why Do They Celebrate? [Vanguard]WHY would anyone celebrate the impeachment of Murtala Hamman-Yero Nyako as governor of Adamawa State? How would his departure improve governance or benefit the State? Would the resources that would be wasted in conducting another election to fill a position that would be vacant only four months after, not have made the Adamawa State House of Assembly more circumspect?
- Building Collapse - Three Children Killed in Edo [Leadership]It was tears all through in Urora community, a suburb of Benin City, the Edo State capital at the weekend when three children lost their lives following a collapsed building.
- How Malala Ignited Nigeria's Search for Missing Chibok Girls [Leadership]Abuja -It took the coming of a 17-year-old to Pakistani education right activist, to add flavor to the almost gone stale, two-months-old Bring Back Our Girls campaign, in the country.
- Lagos Goes Green [Independent]Lagos -The importance of tree planting came to the fore when the Lagos State Government recently embarked on a trees planting campaign across the state. The state government has set aside every July 14 as tree planting day as part of efforts to alleviate the effect of climate change in the state.
- We Will Not Concede Any Territory to Terrorists - FG [Independent]The Federal Government will not concede any portion of Nigeria to terrorists and is taking measures to address all security challenges, the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, has said.
- The Launch of the 'Every Newborn' Action Plan [Daily Trust]The 3rd WHO/PMNCH Forum that took place in Johannesburg, South Africa Monday 30th June to Tuesday 1st July 2014--which was a gathering of 'Who is Who' in the health sector--has witnessed the launch of the Every Newborn Action Plan. A strategic document if and when implemented by countries will see tremendous progress in saving the lives of many newborns.
- Boko Haram Invades Borno Village, Kills 60 [Vanguard]Maiduguri -No fewer than 60 people from Gaidamgari village, in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State were killed weekend, while many others sustained gunshot wounds when some gunmen suspected to be members of the Boko Haram Islamist sect attacked the community.
- Nigeria Lost a Bright, Fertile Mind, Says Mark [Independent]Abuja -Reacting to the demise of the elder statesman in Abuja, Senate President David Mark, in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Paul Mumeh, said Nigeria "has lost one of her brightest and fertile minds. He was a man of honour and integrity. We shall miss his deep sense of wisdom and knowledge."
- African First Ladies Examine the Status of Cancer in Africa [Vanguard]The First Lady, Patience Jonathan, arrived Windhoek, Namibia, on Saturday night to join her counterparts from Africa to examine the status of cancer in the continent.
- Breaking News - Enugu Assembly Begins Impeachment Process Against Dep Gov [This Day]The Enugu State House of Assembly has formally commenced impeachment proceedings against the Deputy Governor, Sunday Onyebuchi , as it directed the Clerk, Christopher Chukwurah to serve (Onyebuchi) with the notice.
- African Press Review 22 July 2014 [RFI]Kenya and Nigeria are both struggling with their digital demons and South Africa is looking to boost nuclear.
- We Hope Our Girls'll Not Spend 100 Days In Captivity – Parents [Leadership]Parents of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls have said that even though it is 98 days since their daughters were abducted from their school by Boko Haram gunmen, they still hoped they would not have to spend 100 days in the captivity of the insurgents, before being rescued.
- Naf Helicopter Crashes in Borno [Independent]Abuja -A Nigerian Air Force Mi-35 Helicopter on a training mission, on Monday, crashed in Bama, in the insurgence-prone Borno State, in the heart of the nation's north east.
- Swiss Traders Bought U.S. $37 Billion Oil From Nigeria in Two Years - Report [Independent]Kingsley Ighomwenghian -At a time when earnings from Nigeria's crude oil sales have remained a closely guarded secret, the outcome of a new research published on Monday has shown that national oil companies in Africa have grossly under reported oil sales over the years.
- Jonathan Stops Registration, Deportation of Non-Indigenes in States [Independent]Abuja -President Goodluck Jonathan, on Monday, convened a National Security Council, which ordered state governments to immediately stop all manners of registration or deportation of indigenes and non-indigenes in their states.
- Why I Snub EPL - Omeruo [Independent]Super Eagles defender, Kenneth Omeruo has given reasons why he rejected offers to go on loan to English Premier League club.
- Cholera Kills Six in Kano State - Official [Vanguard]A cholera outbreak in northern Nigeria's Kano State has killed six people and infected scores, the state health commissioner said Sunday, although a local charity put the toll higher.
- Bukky Wright’s 2nd Marriage Has Crashed, Husband, Wale Onitiri Sends Her Packing
- Happy Birthday To Doris Simeon; Check Out Her Latest Photos
- Tonto Dikeh Boasts “My House Girl Is Wearing My Gucci Sandals To Exam Hall”
- Stephanie Okereke Acts Maid In Hollywood, American Movie “Boonville Redemption”
- Funke Akindele Promotes Omo Fast Action Detergent In Ipaja Lagos [PHOTOS]
- Aki & Pawpaw, Jide Kosoko & Stephanie Okereke Nominated For Entertainment Express Awards 2014
- Beautiful Ini Edo Glams In New Photos
- Empress Njamah Dating Married Abuja-Based Politician, Dumps Nollywood For Charity Work
- Mercy Aigbe At Miss Global Nigeria 2014 Beauty Pageant [PHOTOS]
- AY’s 30 Days In Atlanta Movie Trailer Released
- Baby Delivery: Why Sola Kosoko & Husband Lied To Friends & Family Members
- Sola Kosoko Shares Photos Of Newborn Baby Girl
- Ireti Osayemi: How I Met My Husband & Joined Nollywood
- Ritualists Shrine Found In Forest Near Ife Ibadan Expressway In Osun State
- Husband Killed Wife In Ogun State: Mother Of 8 Stabbed To Death With Broken Bottle
- Kidnappers Dressed As Mad People Storm Onireke High School Ibadan
- Video Shows Boko Haram Beheaded Nigerian Naval Air Force Officer In Borno State
- Pregnant Russian Girl & Boyfriend Commit Suicide Over Underage Pregnancy
- UNEC Law Faculty Lecturer Commits Suicide, Dr Bede Opata Killed Himself In Enugu
- British Cannibal Nurse, Dale Bolinger Planning To Eat Girl As Food Convicted
- Nigerian Guy Killed Brother & Attacked Mother In Long Island, New York; Charles Okonkwo Jr Arrested
- Air Force Pilot & Technician Killed In Borno Fighter Jet Crash
- Accident: Pure Water Truck Killed 10 At Odo Eran Market, Lagos
- Nigerian Soldier Killed By Boko Haram A Month To Wedding Buried
- Magun, Thunderbolt Kills Police ASP During Sex Romp With Girlfriend In Ondo State
- Mad Woman, Female Ritualist Arrested With Dead Boy’s Corpse On Mile 2 Bridge In Lagos
- Emefiele retains existing monetary policy regime • Holds lending rate at 12 per cent • Begins monitoring of 2015 elections spending FAR from the [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 22:22]
- Rights activists, NLC, lawyers, others extol Aturus virtues Human rights activist, judicial officers, lawyers and journalists Tuesday extolled the virtues of [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:41]
- Abdulrazaq-Gwadabe denies role in plot to kill confab report CHAIRMAN of Senators’ Forum and a delegate to the national conference, Khairat [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:40]
- 100 days post-abduction: Women pray, urge BHaram, sponsors to free Chibok girls THOUSANDS of Nigerian women Tuesday gathered in at Unity Fountain, Maitama, Abuja to pray for the [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:37]
- Beneficiaries lament high cost of Edo transport scheme cabs Beneficiaries of Edo State government transport support scheme popularly called “Comrade Cab” [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:34]
- Borno speaker denies plot to impeach gov • APC opposes move to remove Enugu dep gov SPEAKER of Borno State House of Assembly, Abdulkareem [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 20:17]
- Minister list plans for water, housing MINISTER of Science and Technology, Dr. Abdu Bulama has said that correct application of Science [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 20:12]
- Oshiomhole warns politicians against playing politics with security matters EDO State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole Tuesday urged politicians to resist the temptation of [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 20:11]
- NIIA celebrates Adeniji at 80 • launches Foreign Policy Community RETIRED and serving diplomats were all present Tuesday in [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 19:43]
- Ngwa group rejects PDPs zoning of guber position to Abia-South LAST Saturday’s zoning of the next Abia State governorship slot in 2015 to Abia South senatorial [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 19:33]
- Onafowakan, at Tunji Adebayos 70th birthday, seeks honest leaders for the nation AN elder statesman, community and religious leader, Solomon Kayode Onafowokan, has berated the [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 19:31]
- Methodist Prelate urges Nigerians to shun ostentatious living PRELATE of the Methodist Church Nigeria, Dr. Samuel Chukwuemeka Kanu Uche (JP), has charged [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 19:26]
- NEMA resettles 15,000 displaced persons in Borno OVER 15,000 persons displaced in recent attacks on Damboa town and nine other villages in Borno [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 19:24]
- Federal Budget Office warns against pay rise for doctors, others THE Federal Government may not accede to any request for workers’ pay rise soon, going by the [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:28]
- World Bank affirms brighter economic outlook for Nigeria ‘Macroeconomic risks persist due to fundamental uncertainties’ NIGERIA'S short term macroeconomic [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:27]
- NERC mulls reversal of fixed charge policy THE Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), said it might reverse the order on [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:25]
- Marketers worry over outstanding N190b fuel subsidy payment PETROLEUM products importers in the country have raised concerns over the outstanding payment of [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:23]
- UNIDO, WFZO seal pact to enhance global investment THE United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) has signed a Memorandum of [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:21]
- Durosinmi-Etti hands over to Oguntayo at Skye Bank FORMER Group Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Skye Bank Plc, Mr. Kehinde [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:21]
- Path to economically bouyant Anambra State, by forum IT was a gathering of Anambra State professionals and technocrats from diverse background [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 06:00]
- Demand for Nigerias crude oil drops THE effects of the new era of energy sources may have hit hard on Nigeria’s export market, as the [Monday, 21 July 2014 20:46]
- W. Africa, Europes economic partnership deal: The intrigues ON February 24, ten years after negotiating an Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) with the [Monday, 21 July 2014 20:45]
- Govt shops for private investors for Warri Port •Extends EOIs’ submission THE Federal Government has intensified efforts to seek private investors [Monday, 21 July 2014 20:33]
- SON issues new regulations to cement manufacturers IN light of recent developments in the cement industry, the Standards Organisation of Nigeria [Monday, 21 July 2014 20:30]
- Jonathan lauds Oshiomhole on investments in Edo DESPITE their political differences, President Goodluck Jonathan, Monday, commended Governor Adams [Monday, 21 July 2014 20:28]
- NFF crisis: Minister calls off meeting with Federation board MINISTER of Sports/Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Tammy Danagogo, has called [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:39]
- I have the presidents mandate to reform Nigerian football, says Danagogo SPORTS Minister/Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Tammy Danagogo, Tuesday [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:38]
- Team Nigeria awaits kits, equipment as Commonwealth Games begins THIS is not the best of time for Team Nigeria as the athletes are still awaiting the arrival of [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:35]
- StarTimes unveils new sports channel SATELLITE television outfit, StarTimes, has unveiled a new channel, Star Sport 2, which, according [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:34]
- Mikel ready to fight for Chelsea first team position • Uche begins pre-season with Villareal SUPER Eagles’ midfielder, Mikel Obi, says he is not ready [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:03]
- Surulere boss thrilled by Airtels youth development initiative CHAIRMAN of Surulere Local Government Area, Lagos State, Tajudeen Ajide, has commended leading [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:02]
- NSA urges Nigerian athletes to go for gold at Glasgow 2014 UNMISSABLE Incentives Limited, the organisers of the Nigerian Sports Award (NSA), has charged the [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 21:01]
- Ezimora rejoins Heartland, as clubs fortify squads for second round FORMER Enyimba star, Chinedu Ezimora, who last season campaigned in the Omani league with Majees [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 20:58]
- Opara, Tanimowo begin Team Nigerias medal chase • As Weightlifting event begins TEAM Nigeria’s medal chase in the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 20:06]
- England athletes flight in emergency landing A FLIGHT with England divers including Tom Daley on board almost had to make an emergency landing [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 20:05]
- Dunga returns as Brazils coach BRAZIL has appointed Dunga as their new national team manager following the resignation of Luiz [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 18:05]
- Barcelona wants Xavi to remain at Camp Nou XAVI is wanted by clubs in Qatar and the United States but has decided to remain at Camp Nou [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 18:02]
- Real Madrid agrees deal with Rodriguez REAL Madrid has agreed a deal to sign World Cup Golden Boot winner James Rodriguez from Monaco, [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 18:01]
- Man City refutes interest in Drogba MANCHESTER City reportedly has no interest in signing former Chelsea star Didier Drogba. [Tuesday, 22 July 2014 17:56]
News Amosun rubbishing my legacy, says Daniel A former governor of Ogun State, Mr. Gbenga Daniel, has berated Governor Ibikunle Amosun for rubbishing all the “good works” he did during his tenure between 2003 and 2011. Daniel, who is being prosecuted for financial impropriety by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, told journalists at his Mende home in Lagos on Tuesday that
BBOG marks 100 days of Chibok girls abduction The BringBackOurGirls group plans to hold a series of events across the world on Wednesday (today) to mark the 100 days since about 219 Chibok schoolgirls were abducted by the Boko Haram Islamic sect. The group in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, said that the events were meant to amplify its demand that the
$1bn: BHaram war requires new thinking, says APC The All Progressives Congress has said new imaginative thinking and not money is what is required to effectively tackle the Boko Haram menace. The party said this on Tuesday, while reacting to the Federal Governments request for the approval of the National Assembly, for it to collect a $1bn loan. According to the party, the
NYSC mobilised 2.7 million in 41 years–DG The National Youth Service Corps has mobilised about 2.7 million members since its inception 41 years ago, its Director-General, Brig. Gen. Johnson Olawumi, said on Tuesday. He also stated that about 79 persons involved in the illegal NYSC orientation camp in Keffi, Nasarawa State had been sent to prison. According to him, the NYSC is
Lawyer asks court to sack NDLEA boss An Abuja-based lawyer, Mr. Emmanuel Maji, has asked a Federal High Court in Abuja to compel President Goodluck Jonathan to sack the Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Ahmadu Giade, on the grounds of overstaying in office. The plaintiff argued that Giades continued stay in office for about nine years violated the usual
FG okays N25bn for projects in 250 councils The Special Assistant to the President on Millennium Development Goals, Dr. Precious Gbeneol, says the Federal Government has approved N25bn for the implementation of developmental projects in 250 Local Government Areas across the country. Gbeneol said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Abuja. She said that the N25bn
Dont politicise security issues, Oshiomhole urges politicians Governor, Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has asked politicians to shun the urge to play politics with security matters in the interest of the nation. He said it would also do well to discourage social vices in the country. Governor Oshiomhole, who disclosed this at a “Security Management Workshop” organised by the Department of State
Oshiomhole appoints permanent secretaries The Edo State Governor, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole, has appointed 20 new permanent secretaries in the Edo State Civil Service. According to a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Peter Okhiria, the new permanent secretaries include F. A. Bello, I. O. Okuo, B. E. Oiboh, M. E. Okojie, V. Enebi and Faluyi
FCT budget: Residents urges development for satellite towns Some residents of Abuja on Tuesday, lauded the Senate for approving the N271.bn 2014 budget proposal submitted to it by the Ministry of the Federal Capital Territory. But they urged the Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, to pay serious attention to the plight of those living in satellite towns this year. The breakdown of the FCT
APC condemns Ezekwesilis harassment THE Rivers State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress has condemned the harassment of the former Minister of Education, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, by the operatives of the Department of State Security at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja. The state Chairman of the APC, Dr. Davies Ikanya, said in a statement on Tuesday by his
Plateau workers protest non-payment of wages Aggrieved workers of Jos North Local Government Council in Plateau State have staged a protest over the non-payment of their two months outstanding salaries and other entitlements. The workers in the early hours of Tuesday blocked the council secretariat preventing people from going in to transact business. The protesting workers had earlier blocked the entrance
Crisis hits Ilorin NBA The Nigerian Bar Association, Ilorin chapter, has been hit by a crisis leading to the commencement of impeachment proceedings against the branch Chairman, Mr. Mobolaji Ojibara, by some members. The notice of impeachment, which was made available to journalists in Ilorin on Tuesday, was signed by 16 members of the association and seconded by 18
- Nigeria: Google’s Executive Breakfast Forum ropes in 80 execs Google’s upcoming Executive Breakfast Forum, which will be held in Lagos on 24 July, is expected to rope in eighty chief executive officers as well as top business executives. The Google Executive Breakfast Forum has been put together by Google Nigeria in collaboration with the Association of Advertising Agencies, Advertisers Association of Nigeria as...
- Mobility, cloud driven security solutions needed Trends such as mobility, BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) and cloud have completely revolutionised the way we do business, by giving users access to the information they need anytime and from anywhere. Unfortunately, as much as businesses have gained from these...
- How cloud can power entrepreneurship in Africa Taken as a whole, the African continent is one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. Averaging 5% growth each year, Africa’s economy has become more market-oriented, with a rapidly growing private sector. But if it is going to continue on this...
- Nigeria: Airtel appoints new legal director Airtel Nigeria, has announced the appointment of its new legal director. Gbenga Rotimi will be taking over the reins as Director of Legal Affairs and Company Secretary. Rotimi’s appointment takes effect immediately and he will be responsible for all...
- Telkom suspends looming job cuts Trade Union, Solidarity, has stated that Telkom has recently suspended its upcoming retrenchment process. The union stated that the suspension is due to the flawed processes undertaken by Telkom. According to the trade union, Telkom did not gather sufficient...
- Nigeria: Airtel to spend $300m on network expansion Bharti Airtel is planning to spend $300 million on expanding its network this year as it targets growth in its Nigerian customers. Segun Ogunsanya, head of the Nigeria unit stated that: “We plan to spend about $300 million expanding Airtel’s network and...
- MTN Ghana donates to Asafotufiami Festival MTN Ghana made a five thousand Ghana Cedis donation as a contribution to the Asafotufiami Festival. The theme for the festival is Education: key to the development of Ada Traditional Area. Sales Manager for Greater Accra Region, Simon Amoh stated that,...
- IT News Africa: top stories of the week Another week in the world of technology has flown by once again. This week we saw Microsoft place 18000 jobs on the chopping block. Business Connexion also graced the headlines as the company has selected a suitable candidate to take over the reins as CEO....
- Takealot now accepting Bitcoin payments Takealot.com, in partnership with PayFast, has revealed that it will be accepting Bitcoins as a form of payment from its customers. According to the company, customers who wish to pay using Bitcoin will need to select “Instant EFT” as their payment...
- Tackling the growing data regulation headache In today’s information-driven world, data is at the heart of enabling businesses to operate and innovate effectively. However, the exponential growth of data, combined with increasing regulation, has left many organisations struggling with the complexity of...
- Jonathan meets Chibok schoolgirls, parents …99 days after abduction FG to protect their right to education President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday met with some parents and 51 escaped schoolgirls of Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State,… ...
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves rise to $40.2bn –CBN ***World Bank says poverty rate has declined The nation’s foreign reserves rose to $40.2bn as at July 18, from the $37.3bn at end of June, the Central Bank of Nigeria,… ...
- Buhari’s statement inciting, says PDP The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, yesterday described the statements credited to former Head of State, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd) as capable of causing mayhem and… ...
- NERC, Discos disagree over fixed charge reversal order There was a sharp disagreement between the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, and electricity distribution companies, Discos, over the order to revise the conditions for payment of N750 monthly fixed… ...
- Enugu Assembly begins impeachment of Dep Gov Against the backdrop of the flurry of impeachments across the nation, Enugu State House of Assembly yesterday joined the fray, as it commenced impeachment proceedings against the Deputy Governor, Mr.… ...
- Four feared killed in fresh Anambra, Kogi oil war The boundary dispute between Anambra and Kogi state governments, on Monday, degenerated into fresh fighting, as armed Kogi indigenes were alleged to have stormed the disputed area, where oil deposits… ...
- Ondo police nab man over child theft A middle-aged man, Adewole Rotimi, has been arrested by the anti-crime detectives attached to Yaba Divisional Police Headquarters, Ondo, for attempting to steal a two-month-old baby boy. It was gathered… ...
- Vacate the south, Asari-Dokubo’s group ask northerners …demands ‘Republic of Niger Delta’ Following a recent two-week ultimatum by northern youths, under the aegis of Arewa Youth Development Foundation, AYDF, to Southerners living in the north to relocate,… ...
- Two feared killed as Customs, smugglers clash Two people were feared killed in Ilorin, Kwara State, on Tuesday, when men of the Nigerian Customs Service, NCS, and smugglers reportedly engaged themselves in a gun battle. It was… ...
- Rivers’ N82bn housing estate ready soon As part of efforts to address the housing challenges in Rivers State, Rainbow Town Development Limited has said that the modern housing estate being built in Port Harcourt in partnership… ...
Adamawa guber: Delegates root for Marwa
Former military administrator of Lagos State and governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Adamawa State, Brigadier General Mohammed Marwa (retd), was yesterday assured the ticket of the party in the next governorship election in the state by the 335 delegates of the party in Adamawa Central Senatorial District. ...Vote APC, Adeleke urges Osun people
Former governor of Osun State, Senator Isiaka Adeleke, has urged electorate in the state to vote Governor Rauf Aregbesola for second term in the August 9 governorship election. ...INEC commissioner arrives state
A National Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Ambassador Ahmed Wali, yesterday arrived Osun State for the supervision of the August 9 governorship election. ...Osun guber: Aregbesola dares police
For the second time in a space of one month, Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, has dared the police and other security operatives in the country, saying he is not afraid of being arrested. ...Umeh’s aide cautions Okorocha’s media assistant
Special Assistant (Media) to the National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, Mr. Stan Okeke, has cautioned Mr. Sam Onwuemeodo, Senior Special Assistant to the Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha, to choose his words carefully when addressing his superiors, particularly Chief Umeh. ...Stop playing politics with security, Oshiomhole urges politicians
Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, has urged politicians to resist the temptation of playing politics with security matters in the interest of the nation. ...Governorship: Cross River leaders commend Imoke over zoning
Political leaders from the Northern Senatorial District of Cross River State, who converged on the Obudu Mountain Resort at the weekend, have commended Governor Liyel Imoke for what they described as the large-heartedness of his leadership and that of the state Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in conceding the 2015 governorship to the zone. ...2015: APGA to pick candidate from Owerri zone
Imo State chapter of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) yesterday stated that the party, in line with its policy of equity and fairness, will select its flag-bearer for the 2015 governorship election in the state from Owerri zone. ...APC bent on truncating democracy – PDP
The National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), yesterday renewed its attacks on the leadership of the main opposition party, the All Progressives Congress (APC). ...Aregbesola’s OREAP fraudulent –Omisore
The Osun Rural Enterprise and Agriculture Programme of Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola is a big fraud. That was the submission of the gubernatorial candidate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Iyiola Omisore. ...Kalu in Forbes Magazine: The Nigerian millionaire who wants to negotiate with Boko Haram
When Orji Uzor Kalu, jet-setting Nigerian businessman and controversial politician is in Abuja, he usually spends most of his time at his sprawling mansion, which is located a few minutes’ drive away from the Aso Rock Presidential Villa, the official residence of Nigeria’s President. ...Life Changers lifts Muslims at Ramadan
A Non governmental Organisation (NGO), The Life Changers Group, has put smiles on the faces of Muslims by donating food items to assist them during this Ramadan. ...Dutse varsity assures non-natives on admission, employment
The Federal University Dutse (FUD) has promised to grant certain percentages of both student admissions and staff vacancies to non-natives of its located state. ...2 die as Customs, smugglers clash in Ilorin
Two people were killed yesterday in Ilorin, when men of the Nigeria Customs Service and smugglers engaged in a gun duel.Daily Sun investigations revealed that the Customs men were on the trail of a vehicle suspected to be conveying smuggled cosmetic products into the city, ...Impeachment: We’re backing our gov –Borno Speaker
Amidst speculations of an impeachment plan against Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima by the All Progressives Congress (APC)-controlled House of Assembly, the Speaker, Abdulkareem Lawan, said majority of the legislators are backing the governor. ...Again, ritualists’ den uncovered in Osun
The people of Iwaro, near Ipetumodu in Ife North Local Government Area of Osun State on Monday evening discovered a shrine in the outskirts of the town where many fetish objects were found. ...Night of tribute: Igbo converge on Abuja for Dora Akunyili July 31
As the burial of the former director general of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Prof. Dora Akunyili draws nearer, the leader of Igbozurume, an Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Chief Cletus Amaraegbu, ...Ex-Biafran soldiers accuse FG of negligence
Soldiers, who fought on the Biafran side during the civil war in the country have protested outright neglect by the Federal Government since the past 44 years the civil war ended. They described the National Conference in Abuja as medicine after death, ...Dickson justifies N40bn loan request
Governor Seriake Dickson has explained his government’s decision to secure a N40 billion loan, saying the facility was for the construction of a cargo airport. ...Oshiomhole appoints Aigbavboa, 19 other perm secs
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has approved the appointment of Mr. Dan Aigbavboa, former chief press secretary to Mike Oghiadhome and Senator Oserheime Osunbor, ...Fashola opens access roads to decongest Apapa traffic
The Lagos State Government has commenced the construction of about eight access roads within Apapa Local Government Area to help divert motorists using the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway from the traffic gridlock on the road. ...World Bank hails Nigeria’s half-yr economic performance
World Bank has said that Nigeria’s short-term macroeconomic outlook improved in the first half of 2014 relative to 2013.
This is contained in the bank’s new Nigeria Economic Report (NER) launched yesterday in Abuja. ...N190.56bn subsidy claim: Oil marketers warn on impending fuel scarcity
The Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria (MOMAN) yesterday warned the Federal Government to prevent another round of fuel scarcity by ensuring that the backlog of about N190.56 billion in subsidy claims were cleared immediately. ...FG plans to restructure electricity management agencies for efficiency
Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, has disclosed plans to bring key agencies and companies with responsibilities over power supply and equipment management under one roof to ensure efficiency and quality electricity supply. ...Dangote donates N30bn in 2yrs
Africa’s richest person and the continent’s top donor, Aliko Dangote, has announced that he is upping his philanthropic works across the continent, starting from his home country Nigeria. ...CBN retains MPR, CRR at 12%, 75%
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), yesterday retained the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) at 12 per cent with a corridor of +/-200 basis points around the midpoint. ...ABCON kicks as CBN’s recapitalisation plan threatens 2400 BDC licenses
Association of Bureaux De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON) has continued to challenge the amendments to the new requirements for Bureau De Change operations, arguing that the development would lead to the liquidation of BDC operators’ businesses, which in turn would result in loss of jobs, among other things. ...IPMAN, foreign investors to build $3bn refineries
The Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), and some international investors have concluded arrangements to build two refineries worth over $3 billion in Nigeria. ...Agric ministry to partner Uganda on e-wallet
The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development has retreated its commitment to partnering with Uganda in agriculture development and processes. ...Customs FOU seizes N936m goods in 6 months
In line with its mandate of suppressing smuggling and facilitating legitimate trade, the Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘A’, Ikeja of the Nigeria Customs Service (NSC) said it seized 1,608 contraband goods worth N936 million between January and June 2014. ...Sally Mbanefo to flag-off Crystal Awards
•Kefee to get post humous award The Director General of the Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation… ...Entertainment Express to honour Apkabio, Adenuga
All is set for the third edition of Entertainment Express’ Anniversary Bash and Awards Nite,… ...We promote Nigerian talents across Africa–John Ugbe, CEO, Multichoice Nigeria
On Tuesday June 24, MultiChoice Africa; the leading pan-African Pay-TV entertainment destination, gathered talents across… ...My favourite leader is OBJ –Mary Ann Iwuchukwu
Favorite File encountered MaryAnn Iwuchukwu in a cool mood at an event recently. She was… ...Naomi Daniel drops singles
Naomi Daniel, a UK-based Nigerian gospel and praise worship minister, songwriter and composer, has released … ...Aguleri royal fathers pledge support for GUS
Traditional rulers in Aguleri Kingdoms of Anambra State, host community for this year’s edition of Gulder… ...Half Of A Yellow Sun hits cinemas August 1
After a protracted wait, movie buffs are in for a swell time as Half of… ...Beauty queens for ABPON National Peace Conference
Efforts geared towards promoting peace, security, unity and sustainable development in Nigeria have received a… ...Women inspire me–Jide Chord
After a long and eventful sojourn in the UK, juju king, Jide Akinwunmi aka Jide… ...Ruth Kadiri unveils Matters Arising
Actress turned movie maker, Ruth Kadiri, has completed work on her new movie entitled Matters Arising,… ...
- Ford ‘Go Further’ unfolds African vision in Sandton - Pretoria-based Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa (FMCSA) showed off four new models that are destined for African shores, and detailed its future plans for the Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) region at its first African ‘Go Further’ event held at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg recently. ‘Go Further’ is Ford’s brand promise and the name
- Nigerian cement firms to double output by 2020 to 43m tons - Nigeria’s cement industry will continue its growth spurt into 2020, as investment in capacity continues in response to rapid increase in consumption in a stable-to-strong pricing environment, says investment firm, Renaissance Capital. “The Nigerian cement market continues to grow strongly, with volumes at the end of FY13 reaching just under 22m tpa, representing a 9.6
- Volatile economic environment dampens Unilever’s half-year profit - The difficulties in the Nigerian economy such as infrastructure deficits and political instability in the North-East region have dampened Unilever Nigeria plc’s half-year results, analysis of the financial statement reveals. For the first six months through June 2014, the Nigerian consumer goods company’s revenue fell by 1 percent to N29.28 billion, compared with N29.66 billion
- Refreshed Cherokee for young, civilised urbanites - With its rich heritage and military vehicle origins, the USA’s Jeep brand has long been associated with freedom, capability and adventure. In the production line-up available in Nigerian showrooms, the Jeep spirit is best epitomised in the rugged Wrangler, while the Grand Cherokee offers a perfect balance between off-road prowess and luxury. Recall that the
- Falcon Petroleum increases Ikorodu gas supply to 22m CF/d - Industrial firms in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State will soon have cause to boost their production capacities and increase the number of hands they are employing, as Falcon Petroleum Limited, one of the gas companies with the gas franchise to service industries in the area is set to increase its gas in-take from the
- Agusto & Co sees real estate, power, automobile others driving economy - Real estate, power, automobile, dairy and poultry sectors have been identified as key drivers of economic growth and job creation over the next decade by Agusto & Co. The company’s “2014 Industry Reports” highlight several challenges facing these sectors of the Nigerian economy and identifies investment opportunities as well. Other sectors covered by the reports
- African Alliance affirms commitment to customer service - African Alliance Insurance, one of the country life underwriting firms, has underscored its commitment to sustain good reputation for excellent customer service delivery and prompt claims settlement. This, the company believe, is one vantage way to instill confidence in Nigerians and remove apathy from insurance services. Alphonse Okpor, managing director of the company, said since
- Lotus Capital signs 100m units of Halal Equity Exchange Traded Fund - Following the receipt of the Securities and Exchange Commission clearance of the Offer Documents in respect of the proposed initial offer for subscription of 100 million units of the Lotus Halal Equity Exchange Traded Fund, Lotus Capital Limited has announced the successful hosting of the signing ceremony in respect of the proposed initial offer. The
- South African strike disrupts GM output - The unappeased labour movements in South Africa penultimate week briefly forced General Motors (GM) to suspend auto production at its most important plant in the country due to parts shortages from when the strike started. Africa’s largest and most advanced economy has seen rising labour unrest as the wage strike by the National Union of Metalworkers
- ‘Nigeria is Africa’s biggest VAS market’ - Ugo Okoye, is the chief executive officer of iConcepts, a mobile technology solutions provider. In this interview with BEN UZOR JR, he says VAS, if appropriate resources are channeled towards its development, can assist mobile operators offset the huge decline in voice revenues. Okoye is also of the view skewed revenue share model in favour
- Usman to lead Team Nigeria out Team Nigeria will to night join other Commonwealth countries to celebrate the start of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. [July 23, 2014]
- Opening Ceremony to attract 1.5 billion viewers The Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony, which is due to begin at Celtic Park at 8pm today, will potentially have a global audience of 1.5 billion, according to Glasgow 2014 organisers – and it will certainly have more than a dollop of local flavour, and “a distinctly Glaswegian accent”. [July 23, 2014]
- My mandate is to end football crisis – Danagogo Minister and Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC) Dr. Tamuno Danagogo has revealed that he has a presidential mandate to ensure an end to the incessant crisis that has been rocking Nigerian football in recent years. [July 22, 2014]
- Echiejile sets sight on Russia 2016 Nigeria international de-fender, Elderson Echiejile has revealed that missing out on the 2014 FIFA World Cup “was a very sad time for me” but insists he will bounce back to play at the 2018 World Cup if the Super Eagles make it to Russia. [July 22, 2014]
- Brazil appoint Dunga as Scolari successor The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) on Tuesday appointed Dunga as coach, replacing Luiz Felipe Scolari, whose contract was not renewed after the hosts’ World Cup semi-final thrashing by Germany. [July 22, 2014]
- Real Madrid sign Golden Boot Rodriguez Real Madrid on Tuesday signed Colombian striker James Rodriguez, the top scorer at the World Cup, from Monaco on a six season contract. [July 22, 2014]
- Team Nigeria in big C’wealth Games disgrace Nigeria’s participation at he Commonwealth Games, opening tomorrow in Glasgow is heading for catastrophe following the decision of the Ministry of Sports and National Sports Commission to starve sports federations officials and the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) of funds to prosecute a successful outing at the Games. [July 22, 2014]
- Enyeama: I’ve not quit Eagles SUPER Eagles goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama has said that he has not yet called time on his distinguished international career. [July 22, 2014]
- Anichebe tips Ideye to shine at West Brom SUPER Eagles forward Victor Anichebe believes Brown Ideye will be a big hit at West Bromwich Albion, but will need time to adapt to the Premier League. [July 22, 2014]
- Musa’s wonder goal among World Cup best Ahmed Musa’s opening goal against Argentina has been named one of the best goals scored at the 2014 FIFA World Cup. [July 21, 2014]
- Pre-season tour: Chelsea finally drop Mikel Sunset appears to have set for Chelsea’s midfielder John Obi Mikel following the decision of the London giants to drop the Nigerian from their pre-season European playing tour. [July 21, 2014]
- IAAF ratifies 3 new world records The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) on Monday in Monaco said it has recently ratified three world records set in the U.S. and Jamaica earlier this year. [July 21, 2014]
- Kenyan CAN hopes suffer setback Kenyan hopes of a first Africa Cup of Nations appearance in 11 years suffered a setback Sunday when they lost a qualifier 1-0 in Lesotho. [July 21, 2014]
- Qatar to organize 43 sports events in 2014/15 ahead 2022 World Cup As they continue to prepare for the hosting of the biggest soccer tournament in the world, the 2022 FIFA World Cup, the Qatar Olympic Committee (QOC) has said said it plans to host an annual calendar for competition events, activities and championships to be hosted in a nation during both informal and general levels during a duration from 01/04/2014 to 31/03/2015. [July 21, 2014]
- Chukwu to Keshi: Go for better pay Former Nigeria’s coach and a member of the technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation, Christian Chukwu has said that he was in support of the decision by Coach Stephen Keshi to take up new challenges after leading the Super Eagles to the second round of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. [July 21, 2014]
- NFF ready to lift ban on Baribote, Ogunjobi, others In line with the agreement reached before Mrs Baribote agreed to withdraw the case against the Nigeria Football Federation at a Jos High Court, the Aminu Maigari-led board has commenced fence-mending measures aimed at achieving a permanent truce at the Glass House. [July 21, 2014]
- Glasgow Shame: Nigerian athletes in tatters Nigerian athletes to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland are the poorest dressed among the delegations that will contest for sporting honours when the events begin on Wednesday. [July 21, 2014]
- Ministry commends Adamu The Ministry of Sports and the National Sports Commission have commended former CAF and FIFA Executive Committee member, Dr Amos Adamu for what it termed his exemplary leadership quality, particularly, his role in resolving the NFF-FIFA crisis. [July 20, 2014]
- Germany players damage World Cup trophy IT was Sergio Ramos who dropped the Coppa del Rey while celebrating Real Madrid’s victory in the Spanish cup. A bus then drove over the trophy. Germany have managed something even more embarrassing. [July 20, 2014]
- Uduaghan to commission Warri Swimming Pool Delta State Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan will tomorrow in Warri commission a magnificent Olympic Size swimming pool in Warri. [July 20, 2014]
- Mourinho sends Omeruo back to Middlesbrough Chelsea gaffer, Jose Mourinho has ordered Super Eagles star Kenneth Omeruo to return to championship side Middlesbrough on loan for another season. [July 20, 2014]
- Minister, club owners meet on way forward for Nigerian football The Minister of Sports, Tammy Danagogo, will on Tuesday meet with the Representatives of the 20 Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clubs over football development in the country. [July 20, 2014]
- Foreign players abandon Ukraine clubs At least seven foreign players for two top Ukrainian football teams have refused to return to the country as tensions mount after the Malaysia Airlines crash, media reported Sunday. [July 20, 2014]
- Maigari’s NFF board: ‘Not yet uhuru’ World soccer governing body, FIFA might have saved the Aminu Maigari led board from the dustbin of infamy, but the power brokers who wanted to force a change are back to drawing board to reconstruct how to ouster Maigari and his co travelers. [July 20, 2014]
- 2015 Nations Cup: Qualification battle begins After the the hostilities of the Brazil 2014 World Cup, African nations have returned to the turf to battle for qualification ahead of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations to be hosted by Morocco. [July 19, 2014]
- Brazil eye Dunga as Scolari successor Brazil could appoint former coach Dunga to replace Luiz Felipe Scolari as national team boss, media reports indicated Saturday, despite ex-Corinthians coach Tite being considered the long time favourite. [July 19, 2014]
- NEIFA holds convention today The Nigerian Ex-International Footballers Association, (NEIFA will hold its inaugural convention today in Raleigh, North Carolina. [July 19, 2014]
- Sadik partners GTCF A former Davis Cup member, Sadik Abdullahi has joined the partnership train of the Greater Tomorrow Children Foundation, a charity-based organisation formed by former Eagles midfielder Paul Okoku. [July 19, 2014]
- Brown Ideye joins West Brom for £10m Nigeria Super Eagles striker, Brown Ideye, has signed for English Premiership side, West Bromwich Albion for a fee of 10 million pounds. [July 19, 2014]
- We are ready for probe – Maigari’s board The Executive Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) rose from its meeting yesterday saying that it has put its House in order in the interest of the country’s football. [July 19, 2014]
- FIFA lifts suspension on Nigeria Sequel to the reinstatement of the Aminu Maigari-led board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), world football ruling body, FIFA yesterday lifted the suspension clamped on Nigeria on July 9 as a result of a court order barring the NFF Executive Committee and the NFF Congress from controlling and managing the affairs of Nigerian football. [July 19, 2014]
- Commonwealth Games: American-born Jelks starts Nigerian career Mark Jelks is an American born and bred athlete. He dreams of making it big like compatriots Tyson Gay, Justin Gatlin, Maurice Greene, Carl Lewis and other greats. But there seems to be no room for Jelks in the American team to world athletics events. To use football language, he is surplus to requirement. [July 19, 2014]