- Nigeria bus station blast during rush hour - BBC News
- How Nigeria defeated Ebola - The Guardian
How Nigeria defeated EbolaThe GuardianIn a moment of welcome relief about the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared Nigeria free of the virus. This news comes at a time of competing pledges from the international community to fight the outbreak.
- German hostage freed in Nigeria after colleague killed - BBC News
- What kind of Nigeria will the Chibok girls come back to? - The Guardian
- Feeling Snubbed By the US, Nigeria Turns to Russia - Defense One
Feeling Snubbed By the US, Nigeria Turns to RussiaDefense OneThe Vanguard, a Nigerian daily, carried a report on September 28, confirmed by the Ministry of Defense, that 1,200 Nigerian soldiers, police, and Department of State Services (DSS) are being trained by Russian special forces. The Vanguard says that ...
- Nigeria may seek death penalty against child bride - Yahoo News
- Nigeria says it has avoided FIFA ban - SunHerald.com
- BREAKING: Explosion Rocks Gombe - Premium Times
- Nigeria attempt to avoid lengthy Fifa suspension - BBC Sport
Nigeria attempt to avoid lengthy Fifa suspensionBBC SportFifa has not confirmed if Nigeria will escape a ban which would run until May. Football's world governing body wrote to the NFF on Tuesday, warning them the latest instance of government interference - prohibited under Fifa rules - risked the country ...
- Nigeria 2015: PDP gives incumbent governors automatic tickets - Premium Times
- Triple bombing at north Nigeria bus station leaves eight dead A triple bombing at a bus station in north Nigeria during Friday morning rush hour killed at least eight people and injured 41 others, as hopes of a ceasefire with Boko Haram appeared to suffer another blow. Gombe's police chief Abdullahi Kudu said three suspects were arrested immediately after the blasts at the Gombe Line Station at about 9:00 am (0800 GMT). The bus station descended into chaos ...
- Nigeria set to avoid FIFA suspension after court case is dropped CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - Nigeria look like avoiding a FIFA suspension after a court case involving a battle for the leadership of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) was withdrawn from the High Court on Thursday. Dropping the case paves the way for FIFA-backed NFF president Amaju Pinnick and his executive to resume their duties after they had been ousted from office by an interim ruling last ...
- FIFA gives Nigeria last chance to avoid ban ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — FIFA has given Nigeria one last chance to avoid a "lengthy" ban that would prevent the reigning champion from defending its title at next year's African Cup of Nations.
- Nigeria may seek death penalty against child bride A 14-year-old Nigerian girl accused of murdering her 35-year-old husband by putting rat poison in his food could face the death penalty, Nigerian prosecutors said Thursday. The trial of Wasila Tasi'u, from a poor northern Nigeria family, has sparked a heated debate on the role of underage marriage in the conservative Muslim region, especially whether an adolescent girl can consent to be a bride ...
- Keshi re-appointed as Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi is re-appointed as Nigeria coach, two weeks after the Nigeria Football Federation replaced him with Shaibu Amodu.
- Nigeria move to avoid long Fifa ban Nigeria hope to have avoided a lengthy ban from Fifa after a decision to void last month's football elections is overturned.
- Nigeria: German killed, pirates hijack gunboat WARRI, Nigeria (AP) — Gunmen killed a German man and kidnapped a second in southwest Nigeria, police said Tuesday as the military reported that pirates in the oil-rich south hijacked a police gunboat and killed three officers.
- Boko Haram attacks commercial hub in Nigeria's Adamawa state Boko Haram fighters on Wednesday clashed with Nigerian troops in the country's remote northeast, forcing thousands to flee, after two other attacks that further undermined claims of a ceasefire. Residents said insurgents first overran the town of Uba in Borno state before moving to try to take Mubi, a commercial hub in neighbouring Adamawa, using firepower including rocket-propelled grenades ...
- Nigeria given Friday deadline by FIFA Nigeria will be banned from all football unless a court decision that sacked the country’s recently elected FA executives is not overturned by Friday, world governing body FIFA announced on Tuesday. A leadership crisis has bedeviled the African champions for the past four months despite several interventions by FIFA, who have now warned it will slap a lengthy ban on it. Last week, a group led by ...
- Nigeria Leads Global Efforts To Contain the Ebola Outbreak ABUJA, Nigeria, Oct. 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Nigeria, through the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control and with approval from President Jonathan, will send nearly 600 volunteers to support Ebola-stricken countries in West Africa. The medical aides will join 1,000 health workers from across the African continent -- filling a critical shortage of medical workers who are willing to treat Ebola ...
- Bus Station Blast Kills Many [Premium Times]A deadly explosion that ripped through a bus station in central Gombe Friday, killed at least 23 people and injured many more, the News Agency of Nigeria, has reported.
- Court Challenge to Jonathan [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -The Appeal Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, fixed November 5 to hear the appeal challenging Jonathan's eligibility to contest the presidential election in 2015.
- Court Orders Stay of Execution On Convicted Soldiers [Daily Trust]A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Nigerian Army to stay execution on the death sentence passed by an Army General Court-Martial against 12 Nigerian Soldiers.
- Explosion Rocks Gombe Bus Station [Premium Times]An explosion has ripped through a bus station in Gombe, residents and witnesses have told PREMIUM TIMES.
- Over 30 Feared Dead As Three Bombs Rock Bus Station in Gombe [Vanguard]About 30 were reported dead after three explosions rocked the popular Gombe Line Transport Services Limited in Gombe State.
- Two Nigerians Diagnosed With Ebola in Sierra Leone [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -Two Nigerians resident in Freetown, Sierra Leone have been diagnosed to have been infected with Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
- Ban On #bringbackourgirls Rallies Illegal - Court [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), on Thursday, declared as illegal the banning of peaceful rallies of the #BringBackOurgirls group by the former FCT Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mbu, now an Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) in charge of Zone 7.
- Judicial Council Approves Mohammed's Nomination As CJN [Daily Trust]The National Judicial Council (NJC) yesterday in Abuja approved the nomination of Justice Mahmud Mohammed as the next Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN).
- 'Over 16,000 Stroke Cases Recorded Annually in Nigeria' [Daily Trust]Experts have raised concerns over the increasing number of stroke patients, saying annually over 16,000 cases are recorded in Nigeria.
- Jonathan Upgrades Ido-Ekiti FMC to Teaching Hospital [Guardian]Ado-Ekiti -President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the upgrading of the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Ido-Ekiti, to a Federal Teaching Hospital and the use of the upgraded hospital for the clinical training of medical students and allied health professionals of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD).
- Outrage, As Police Withdraw Tambuwal's Security Aides [Independent (Lagos)]Nigerians have condemned in strong terms the withdrawal of the security aides of the Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, by the Police barely two days after he defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC).
- Liberian Footballer, Four Others Held for Robbery [Daily Trust]Lagos -A former Liberian international footballer, Moses Andre, is among a five-man armed robbery gang arrested in Lagos for allegedly snatching exotic cars from their owners at gun point.
- Nigeria Escape Fifa Axe As Giwa Withdraws Case [Daily Trust]Jos -Nigeria has avoided a looming FIFA axe after the group led by Ambassador Chris Giwa opted to discontinue its case at the Federal High Court, Jos when hearing was about to resume yesterday.
- Jonathan Collects PDP Presidential Nomination Form [Guardian]Abuja and Awka -President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday collected the Nomination and Expression of Interest forms to contest the February 14, 2015 presidential election on the platform of the People's Democratic Party (PDP).
- Ali Al-Min Mazrui 1933-2014 [Guardian]ALI Al-min Mazrui, renowned scholar who died the other day at the age of 81 will be remembered not only for his brilliance and scholarly works but also as one who strove to make pride in Africanness, the identity of any African. For that, he compelled a better view of not only an African scholar but that of the average African. Mazrui, who was the Albert Schweitzer Professor in the Humanities and the Director of the Institute of Global Cultural Studies (IGCS) at State University of New York at Binghamton,
- Court Fixes November 4 for Arraignment of Coca-Cola's Executives [Guardian]Abuja -THE Federal High Court, Abuja Division yesterday fixed November 4, 2014 for the arraignment of the Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC) Limited, Coca-Cola Nigeria Limited and their chief executives for criminal breach of the Consumer Protection Council (CPC) Act.
- Terrorists Overrun CDs, Badeh's Home Town [Vanguard]YOLA --Few hours after the commercial nerve centre and the second biggest town in Adamawa State fell into the hands of Islamic sect, Boko Haram, the insurgents, yesterday, overran Vimtim, the home town of the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh.
- 2015 Presidency - Kwankwaso Picks Nomination Form [Vanguard]ABUJA--Forty-eight hours after he publicly declared his intention to contest for Presidency on the platform of All Progressives Congress, APC, in 2015, Kano State governor, Dr. Rabiu Kwankwaso, has purchased the party's Expression of Interest and Presidential Nomination forms for N27.5 million.
- Jonathan Picks Nomination Forms [Vanguard]ABUJA--PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan yesterday stormed the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, where he collected the expression of interest and nomination forms of the party to vie for the 2015 presidential election.
- 200th Day - Make Rescue of Chibok Girls Top Priority, Ezekwesili Pleads [Vanguard]The rescue of the 219 girls abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State by insurgents of the Islamist Boko Haram group must take priority over every other activity, Bringbackourgirls campaigner, Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili has said.
- D'Banj , Don Jazzy Back Again? [Vanguard]There are strong indications that D'banj and Don Jazzy, co-owners of the defunct Mo'hit Records are planning to come together again. The duo broke up in 2012.
- Drama, As 14-Yr-Old Suspected Killer Bride Goes 'Numb' in Court [Vanguard]KANO--There was a mild drama at Gezawa High Court, Kano, yesterday as a girl-bride, Wasila Tasi, suspected to have killed her husband
- Delta LG Polls Fallout - Tompolo Is Threatening My Life - Keyamo [Vanguard]WARRI--HUMAN rights activist and lawyer, Mr. Festus Keyamo, has alleged that ex-militant leader, Chief Government Ekpemupolo, alias Tompolo, has threatened to kill him.
- #BringBackOurgirls - Court Declares Police Ban On Rallies Illegal [Leadership]An Abuja High Court has declared as illegal the ban of peaceful rallies of the #BringBackOurgirls group by the former Federal Capital Territory (FCT) commissioner of police, Joseph Mbu, now an assistant inspector general of police (AIG) in charge of Zone 7.
- NJC Okays Justice Mohammed's Nomination As Next CJN [Leadership]The National Judicial Council (NJC) has approved the nomination of Justice Mahmud Mohammed as the next Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN).
- FG Vs Coca Cola, NBC - Court Fixes Nov 4 for Hearing [Leadership]The Federal High Court 8, Abuja, under Justice E.S. Chukwu, has fixed Tuesday, November 4 for the hearing of the suit filed by the federal government against Coca Cola Nigeria Limited and Nigeria Bottling Company Limited for alleged violation of the Consumer Protection Council Act.
- Aftermath of Tambuwal's Defection - Presidency, PDP Move Against Emeka Ihedioha [Leadership]Strong indications have emerged that President Goodluck Jonathan and the leadership of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are unhappy with the deputy speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, over the latter's private reception for Speaker Aminu Tambuwal a few hours after the speaker defected from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Wednesday.
- 2015 - Why PDP Stopped Governor Ngilari [Leadership]The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), yesterday declared that the zoning of the governorship position in Adamawa State to the Central Senatorial District ahead of the 2015 election remains valid.
- Ireti Kingibe Picks PDP Senatorial Form, Resigns As Leadership Chairman [Leadership]Hajiya Ireti Heebah Kingibe, who, until last week, was chairman, LEADERSHIP Newspapers Group, yesterday picked the PDP form for the 2015 Federal Capital Territory (FCT) senatorial election.
- Jonathan Plotting to Reconvene House After Withdrawing Tambuwal's Security Detail - APC [Premium Times]The All Progressives Congress has called on President Goodluck Jonathan to show better understanding of democracy by immediately restoring the police security details the Inspector General of Police unlawfully withdrew from the Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal.
- My aspiration is not a do-or-die affair, says El Rufai MALAM Nasiru El Rufai, former FCT Minister, on Friday obtained the APC nomination forms to [Friday, 31 October 2014 14:00]
- Return of illegal arms: CP says compliance unsatisfactory THE Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, Mr Kayode Aderanti, on Friday said that the [Friday, 31 October 2014 13:07]
- Tension in Taraba community over murder of college teacher THE peace currently being enjoyed by the people of Taraba State may be disrupted following the [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:30]
- 3 arrested as bomb explosion rocks Gombe Motor Park THREE suspects have been arrested in connection with an early morning bomb explosion at the Gombe [Friday, 31 October 2014 12:54]
- Gunmen kill another Igbo businessman in Bauchi A RESPECTED and popular Igbo businessman, John Udeh, also known as John Bosco, was yesterday killed [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:26]
- Deposed Enugu monarch sues state govt, seeks reinstatement THE deposed traditional ruler of Amandim-Olo Autonomous community in Ezeagu council of Enugu State, [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:52]
- Imo NULGE chief urges support for council autonomy AS the States’ Assemblies begin deliberations on the constitutional amendment document sent to [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:47]
- Ex-aide debunks alleged recall of Jonathans appointees • Gambari cautions against careless utterances A FORMER Special Adviser to President Goodluck [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:10]
- Govt votes N144 million for mechanized farming in Zamfara TO strengthen and guarantee farmers access to mechanized equipment in Zamfara state, the Federal [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:43]
- UNIUYO VC laments non-release of take-off grant 23 years after THE Vice Chancellor of University of Cross River State, now University of Uyo (UNIUYO), Prof. [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:04]
- Southern Kaduna group asks Jonathan to drop Sambo CITING that he may not be able to deliver the north for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in next [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:39]
- Elders in Akwa Ibom allege planned imposition of guber candidate A GROUP of elders and other stakeholders of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) from Akwa Ibom [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:00]
- INEC gives Bauchi additional 1,111 poling units, lists location points THE Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Bauchi State, has approved distribution and [Friday, 31 October 2014 06:34]
- NLC chief flays Obasanjo, Buhari over alleged comments on 2015 polls VICE President of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Issa Aremu has carpeted Generals Olusegun Obasanjo [Friday, 31 October 2014 05:56]
- Etisalat claims 18% growth rate in Nigeria TELECOMMUNICATIONS firm, Etisalat Nigeria has claimed a growth profile of over 18 per cent since [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:04]
- Report raises concerns over increasing cyber attacks . Claims 63% of organisations affected by malware in 2013 EXCEPT organisations develop thick skin [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:04]
- Experts urge cultivation of savings habit NIGERIANS have been urged to cultivate the habit of savings and investments. Experts who [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:02]
- Nigeria up by five steps in World Banks doing business ranking Kano Added as a Second City for Nigeria in the World Bank Group’s Doing Business Report NIGERIA’S [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:01]
- FG to exploit value addition initiatives for industrial, SMEs growth THE Federal Ministry of Science and Technology in partnership with the Raw Materials Research [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:07]
- Explorationists worry about Nigerias declining crude oil reserves To discuss future of hydrocarbon at forum NIGERIAN Association of Petroleum Explorationists (NAPE), [Thursday, 30 October 2014 14:59]
- Infinix Zero available on Konga.com INFINIX Mobile, a joint venture company of Mobiwire (formerly known as Sagem Wireless) and Earning [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:06]
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week October 2014 has drawn to close; however, it has been an exceptionally busy month in the technology scene. During the course of the month we reported on a large array of topics. For those who missed out on all the news you can view all the top stories, for the first three weeks of October ...
- BlackBerry Passport lands in Nigeria BlackBerry is in the process of rolling out its new qwerty keyboard smartphone, the BlackBerry Passport. According to the company, the device has now landed in Nigeria. The device features a 4.5-inch square touch screen, touch-enabled keyboard and has a 3450...
- Uganda: Infocom upgrading Kampala’s International Internet gateway Owned by Liquid Telecom, Ugandan operator Infocom has revealed that it is set to perform a major upgrade on its international internet gateway. According to the company, it has installed technology that is able to provide 16 times more international internet...
- Kenya: Mobile subscriptions on the rise According to reports, Kenya’s total number of mobile subscriptions grew by 5.6 percent to 32.2 million at the end of June. This is according to Q4 statistics unveiled by the Communications Authority (CA). The statistics revealed that mobile penetration...
- MTN recognised at Nedbank Sustainable Business Awards MTN and Fenix International have been recognised at the Nedbank Sustainable Business Awards for a solar charging solution that’s improving the lives of communities without access to electricity and financial services in Uganda and Rwanda. The awards, held...
- Microsoft finalises job cuts with another 3000 layoffs Back in July 2014, Microsoft was expected to cut up to 18000 jobs. According to a press statement, the company revealed that the cuts were part of a restructuring plan to simplify the organisation as well as align the recently acquired Nokia Devices and...
- Nigeria set to receive iPhone 6 Airtel Nigeria, has announced that Nigerians can begin to pre-register for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as of today. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have been described as the biggest advancements in iPhone history. iPhone 6 comes with a smooth metal...
- Rwanda’s President Tweeting up a storm Rwanda’s President, Paul Kagame, is described by the International Telecommunications Union as the “Digital President.” Social media analysts say Kagame is Africa’s most conversational president. Kagame has the biggest following on...
- Kenya: DOBA faculty to invest in E-learning Slovenia’s Business School DOBA, in Kenya, is expected to spend slightly over USD 1 Million in the next 5 years in Kenya. According to DOBA, it is driving a public-private partnership program seeking to get employers in the 4 Kenyan cities to endorse...
- Africa’s emerging markets offer high growth for e-Commerce Africa offers enormous growth potential for e-retailers given that online shopping is in its infancy in the region. This is according to Sumesh Rahavendra, head of marketing for DHL Express Sub Saharan Africa (SSA), who says the recently released ‘Shop the...
- Burundi Gov commissions Metropolitan Area Nework for Bujumbura The Government of Burundi in conjunction with Huawei and Onatel officially commission the Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) project installations for Bujumbura. The Bujumbura MAN project is as a result of a grant from the Government of the People’s Republic...
- Smart Telecom expansion set at USD 300 Million According to Smart Telecom, it has set a budget of USD 300 Million in order to expand its telecommunications network’s across a number of East African countries including Tanzania, Uganda and Burundi over the next five years. Smart Telecom originally...
- MTN SA introduces 49 cents per minute international call tariff MTN South Africa has launched a new international calling promotion that will see customers being provided with the opportunity to call selected destinations from as little as 79 cents per minute. MTN will also introduce the new international calling bundle...
- Rwanda accelerates plans for cashless economy The Government of Rwanda has moved to accelerate its plans to transform Rwanda into a cashless economy and achieve 80 percent financial inclusion by 2017. Rwanda’s commitment to using information and communications technology (ICT) for financial...
- HDS unveils 3 new options for private and hybrid cloud Hitachi Data Systems Corporation (HDS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. announced 3 new ways for customers, providers and partners to gain the benefits of the cloud without compromising the control, flexibility or security of their data. First is...
- Kenya: Azimo unveils instant M-PESA transfer service Azimo, an online money transfer service, has revealed that customers across Europe can now send money instantly to the mobile “eWallets” of M-PESA’s 19 million subscribers in Kenya. Kenya boasts one of the highest global rates of mobile banking, with...
- Sagay, Agbaje, others flay withdrawal of Tambuwal’s security Prominent lawyers have condemned the redeployment of police personnel attached to the Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, describing it as a dangerous sign of what to expect in the… ...
- 2015: Nigeria’ll emerge stronger, united — Mark Senate President David Mark yesterday assured the visiting European Union Ambassador to Nigeria, Michel Arrion, that despite the growing anxiety and challenges ahead of the 2015 general elections, Nigeria would… ...
- Synagogue: Collapsed building has no approval plan, says witness Lagos State Commissioner for Physical Development and Urban Planning, Mr. Toyin Adedamola, yesterday told the coroner conducting an inquest into the collapsed building belonging to the Synagogue Church of All… ...
- Guber aspirants ‘gang up’ against Wike Fourteen governorship aspirants in Rivers State, under the aegis of the Peoples’ Democratic Party, PDP, have formed a coalition against the gubernatorial ambition of the immediate past Minister of State… ...
- OBJ, vital to Ogun PDP guber race –Isiaka, Onipide Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has been described as a critical factor in the emergence of any candidate for gubernatorial race on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Ogun… ...
- FMC now ABUAD’s teaching hospital President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the upgrade of the Federal Medical Centre, FMC, Ido-Ekiti, to a federal teaching hospital for the clinical training of medical students and allied health professionals… ...
- Kogi budgets N5.4bn for primary education Kogi State government has earmarked a total sum of N5.4 billion towards the repositioning and development of primary education in the state. Governor Idris Wada disclosed this while receiving the… ...
- Nigerian ports and dirty deals indeed The piece: ‘Dirty deals at the ports’, the cover story of ‘Business Courage’ (National Mirror, October 27, 2014) made a rehash of the long sauntering presence of corruption in the… ...
- Kidnapped German freed The Ogun State Police Command yesterday released the German working with Julius Berger Construction Company kidnapped last Friday on Sagamu-Ore-Benin expressway. Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, DPPRO, Abimbola Oyeyemi, who… ...
- Ogun UPN suspends Fasehun’s group The Ogun State chapter of Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN, has suspended 14 members over an alleged failure to appear before the disciplinary committee for anti-party activities. National Mirror gathered… ...
We’ve no plan to sack workers –Ekiti govt
Ekiti State Government has denied any plan to sack civil servants in the state.
This is contrary to rumours making the rounds in the state that the Ayo Fayose-led administration was planning to achieve this through its proposed plan to reduce the state parastatals. ...Enugu Court remands 2 councillors, lawyer in prison custody
Two councillors from Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State and a lawyer, who were arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Enugu West Senatorial District, were remanded in prison custody on Wednesday. ...Fake PDP membership cards flood Cross River
The battle over who controls the delegates to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) pending primaries has continued to gather momentum as fake membership cards flooded Cross River State, especially the Central Senatorial District. ...PDP dissolves Abia wards, council executive
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, National Working Committee, NWC, has taken some far reaching decisions on the leadership of some of its state chapters in the South-east zone. ...Kwankwaso picks APC nomination form
Kano State governor and All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential aspirant, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso yesterday stormed his party national secretariat with his supporters to pick his Expression of Interest and Nomination forms ahead of the presidential convention of the main opposition party in December. ...IGP withdraws Tambuwal’s security
Barely twenty-four hours after the Speaker of House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, defected from the Peoples Democratic Pary (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Abuja, the policemen attached to him have been withdrawn. ...… Tambuwal accuses IGP of lawlessness
Speaker of House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal, has declared that the withdrawal of his security details by the acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Suileman Abba, was tantamount to turning the constitution on its head. ...2015 Presidency: Jonathan finally picks forms
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday beat the People Democratic Party (PDP) deadline for collection of Expression of Interest and Nomination Forms for those seeking elective offices on its platform. ...Abia PDP moves to procure judgment to hold Ward Congress
Abia State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is making desperate efforts to get a court order authorizing it to hold a delegates’ congress tomorrow. ...Crisis hits Ekiti PDP as the party’s congress holds today
As delegates vote for aspirants of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) today in Ekiti State in preparation for the 2015 general elections, all is not well with the party. ...BREAKING NEWS: 9 killed, 35 injured in Gombe bomb blast
An mid morning explosion has ripped through a bus station in Gombe, residents have said.… ...Lagos holds biggest phone expo in December
The maiden edition of Phone Expo Nigeria 2014 (PEN 2014) scheduled to hold at the University of Lagos, will be the largest annual gathering of the Nigerian mobile ecosystem, according to show producers. ...Amosun’s LG tour: 3 remanded in custody for murder
Three persons have been arraigned before an Ilaro Chief Magistrate’s Court in Ogun State over the death of a 21-year old, Olufemi Amosun. ...Jonathan, Emir of Kano in closed-door meeting
President Goodluck Jonathan and the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, met yesterday behind closed-door at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. ...Lagos CP unveils strategy to fight crime
Lagos State Police Commissioner, Mr. Kayode Aderanti, has vowed to keep the state safe in order to unlock it for full- scale commercial activities. ...#BringBackOurGirls: Court declares ban on rallies illegal
An Abuja High Court yesterday declared as illegal, police ban of peaceful rallies by the #BringBackOurgirls group. Former Federal Capital Territory (FCT) ...Synagogue: Collapsed building illegal, commissioner tells coroner
Lagos State Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Oluwatoyin Ayinde, yesterday alleged that a six-storey building belonging to The Synagogue, Church of All Nations (SCOAN), which collapsed on September 12, was erected without approval. ...Ndigbo Unity Forum tells Gov Orji to forget senatorial ambition
Ndigbo Unity Forum, a socio-political organisation has called on Governor Theodore Orji of Abia State to forget about his senatorial ambition, saying he has failed in his present assignment. ...Rivers: Amaechi, Wike in show of might
Last weekend, a political scenario was played out by two prominent citizens of Rivers State.… ...Amaechi will pay for his attack on Jonathan, First Lady –Evans Bipi
The self-acclaimed Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Evans Bipi, has vowed that… ...PenCom: CPS fund hits N4.5trn
Apparently determined to address challenges impeding the growth of the pension industry in Nigeria, the National Pension Commission (PenCom) said it is taking steps to enhance transparency in pension administration, ...ConocoPhillips 3rd-quarter profit up on Nigeria asset sale
ConocoPhillips, the largest U.S. independent oil company, reported higher third-quarter profit on Thursday, lifted by… ...World Trade Agreement: FG approves Nigeria’s Category ‘A’ implementation commitment
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the notification… ...Ban obsolete aircraft from Nigerian airspace, NSE tells FG
Following the high rate of air disasters in the country and in line with reforms… ...Forte Oil grows profit to N4.01bn in 9 months
Forte Oil Plc has released its nine-months result which ended September 30, with profit after… ...N4.4bn debt: Kaduna DISCO seeks National Assembly intervention
The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company, Mallam Idris D. Mohammed, has… ...Nigeria’s high corruption index worries accountants
Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN) yesterday decried the alarming rate of corruption in the country, wondering why all efforts aimed at curbing the menace have not yielded fruits. ...Stakeholders advocate infrastructure devt fund for Abia
Worried by infrastructural decay and poor condition of roads, which have adversely affected commercial activities in Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State, a group, the Abia Think Tank Association (ATTA), has advocated a tripartite funding arrangement to tackle the problem. ...Jonathan appoints Bernard Otti as new NNPC DMD
President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday approved Mr. Bernard O. N. Otti, as the new Deputy Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). ...FirstBank Sustainability Centre partners LBS to host Conference
FirstBank Sustainability Centre is partnering the Lagos Business School to host the International Sustainability Conference scheduled for October 30, 2014 at the Honeywell Auditorium, Lagos Business School, Ajah, Lagos. ...Ebola can’t kill the spirit of Osun festival
• A devotee chats with an Ifa priest in the grove. The blissful relationship between… ...Two years after, facebook continues to post Goldie Harvey’s birthday
If she were still alive, late diva, Goldie Harvey, would have added another year on… ...Dumo Lulu-Briggs: My dad is my greatest inspiration
Tall, handsome, soft-spoken and down-to-earth, Chief Dumo Lulu Briggs, a lawyer, sits atop the board… ...Judith Muoneke, first runners-up, Face of ANSU dreams big
Just fresh from being the first runners-up at this year’s edition of Face of Anambra… ...Love at first sight: How Prince Ekeh proposed to me –Muma Gee
Have you been wondering where Kade Queen, Muma Gee, has been all this while? You… ...23 years after, Ade bantu shaves off dread locks!
Next time you see Nigerian-German afropolitan musician and producer, Ade Bantu (Adegoke Olukoyaha), you may… ...Las Vegas, my favourite holiday spot –Mary Elumelu- James
She is simply called Aju but her real names are Mary- Jane Aju Elumelu-James. Coming… ...I miss making movies like hell –Fidelis Duker
After 11 years of successfully steering the ship of Anglophone Africa’s longest running film festival,… ...YOLANDA GEORGE-DAVID: I had 18 miscarriages
Dr. Yolanda George-David is a psychologist and life coach. She is also a presenter with… ...I speak in tongues before going on stage–KSB
Top gospel artiste and talk show host turned-politician, Kenny St Best shares her over 16… ...
- Nigeriatravelsmart.com debuts, raises stake for operators, policy makers - Determined to raise the stake for airline operators and policy makers within Nigeria’s aviation and travel industry, Travel.Com publishing ltd, has unveiled its new online publication; www.nigeriatravelsmart.com specifically targeted at the aviation, hospitality and tourism sector. The online publication designed to intimate air passengers and by extension the general public on current events and trends within the aviation,
- Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers crosses N1trn in asset under management - Against the backdrop of the recently enacted Pension Reform Act of 2014, Nigeria’s Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers Limited, a subsidiary of Stanbic IBTC Holdings plc, has stressed that Nigeria’s pension industry now stands on a stronger foundation, providing safety for the N4.4trn pension assets under management. The company, Nigeria’s biggest Pension Fund Administrator (PFA), boasts
- Transcorp group PBT up 89% to N12.14bn for September 2014 - Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc (Transcorp) continued on an impressive growth trajectory for its FY 2014 following the announcement of its Group Profit before Tax (“PBT”) of N9.7bn for the nine months ended September 30, 2014, an 89 percent year on year (yoy) increase from September 2013. Gross revenue for the Group stood at N31.4bn
- ARM Capital Partners, IFC set to boost agribusiness with $9.5m investment - ARM Capital Partners, the manager of ARM Private Equity Fund, and IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, has announced a joint $9.5m equity investment in Boulos Foods & Beverages Limited, a newly established manufacturer of non-alcoholic beverages based in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. The project will strengthen the agribusiness and food processing sectors
- Inside-out Toyota’s new LC70-series workhouse - What a better way of starting and ending a week with a refreshing and more engaging like what Toyota the global automotive leader did last week when Toyota Nigeria Limited (TNL), the local ally attracted corporate fleet buyers and individual stakeholders to come and see and test-drive the old war horse Toyota Land Cruiser LC
- Xerox printing tech offers 30% reduction in operating cost - Xerox Nigeria Limited has expanded its portfolio in the printing firm as it introduces two new global awards-winning products that will not only speed up the pace of digital printing but also sparked off increased productivity efficiently and improved return on investments with about 30 percent reduction in operating costs. The firm, which is a
- Toyota, 4 other auto brands to locate assembly plants in Ogun - Toyota motors and other four Japanese and Korean automobile brands have concluded arrangements to locate assembly plants at Kobape on the outskirts of Abeokuta in Obafemi-Owode local government area of Ogun state. This was the declaration of Governor Ibikunle Amosun on Tuesday at the 2015 Ogun State Budget Town Hall Meeting held in Abeokuta, adding
- IBEDC to fast-track embedded generation project - The Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) has said it would fast-track its embedded power generation project so as to boost electricity supply. Fortunatus Leynes, managing director/CEO, who disclosed this at the distribution company’s customer’s forum in Ibadan said the need to embark on embedded generation project became necessary following the drop in generation from the National
- Experts in agricultural value chain to explore opportunities in Nigeria - As international attention increasingly turns towards the rapid development and immense potential of the Nigerian agricultural sector, Nigerian and international agribusiness leaders, technology suppliers, farmers and investors will soon be gathering in Lagos for “Agra Innovate”: a groundbreaking new exhibition and conference taking place at the Landmark Centre, Victoria Island Extension on the 18 – 20
- Zenith Bank records single-digit growth in Q3 profit - Nigeria Zenith Bank plc has recorded a single-digit growth in its third quarter (Q3) profits as the industry grapples with multiple regulations by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) that is the slowing bottom-line performance of most lenders. For the first nine months through September 2014, Zenith Bank recorded a growth of 1.81 percent in
- Keshi re-appointed as Super Eagles coach – NFF Stephen Keshi has been re-appointed as coach of African champions Nigeria after he was sacked earlier this month, in the latest twist in a long-running battle for control of the country’s football federation. The head of the federation’s technical committee, Felix Anyansi-Agwu, said his body had “decided to accept” a proposal re-instating Keshi as Super [October 31, 2014]
- Keshi: Fans react With Stephen Keshi in line to return as Super Eagles coach, fans have shared their views on this latest development. [October 31, 2014]
- President Jonathan recalls Keshi President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the immediate reinstatement of former Super Eagles coach, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi. [October 31, 2014]
- Enyimba take back seat for Aba traders Two-time CAF Champions League champions, Enyimba recently took the backseat in Aba as their Nigerian Premier League match was suspended for the final Aba Traders Cup to hold at the Enyimba International Stadium. [October 31, 2014]
- Toro applauds Keshi’s recall, peace at NFF Former Secretary General of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA), Alhaji Sani Ahmed Toro has applauded the surprise presidential recall of the sacked Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi, saying, it was for the good of the game in the country. [October 31, 2014]
- President Jonathan, Pinnick, Giwa meet As part of the political solution to the lingering crisis that has been rocking Nigerian football, President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday night met with the president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick and the proprietor of Giwa FC of Jos, Chris Giwa. [October 31, 2014]
- Nigeria escapes FIFA ban Nigeria yesterday escaped the wrath of FIFA as Justice Ambrose Allagoa of the Federal High court sitting in Jos, Plateau State, withdrew the suit filed against the Nigeria Football Federation by the Chris Giwa-led faction. [October 31, 2014]
- Chukwu commends Giwa group The decision by the Ambassador Chris Giwa led-group to withdraw the suit against the Nigeria Football Federation from a Jos High Court has been hailed by former captain and one time coach of the national team, Christian Chukwu as good for Nigeria football. [October 31, 2014]
- Tennis teens serve into dark territory Nigerian junior tennis players are wary of the bleak future that awaits them when they take the plunge into the professional circuit, which has not been rosy for their predecessors. [October 31, 2014]
- NFF crisis: Danagogo, Elegbeleye commend Jonathan Sports Minister and Chairman National Sports Commission, Dr. Tammy Danagogo has commended President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for his timely intervention in the crisis rocking the Nigeria Football Federation which he said will be resolved before the expiration of the deadline given by FIFA to avoid its hammer falling on the country. [October 31, 2014]
- Elizabeth Wuraola Ojo memorial Golf tourney gets date Sponsors of the annual Elizaberth Wuraola Ojo Memorial Golf Invitational tournament, Toyota Nigeria Limited have promised a bumper package for this year’s tournament. [October 30, 2014]
- Ghana didn’t snub Keshi – Addo The Ghana Football Association (GFA) did not snub Stephen Keshi for the vacant Black Stars coaching position because the former Nigeria coach did apply for the job, his Ghanaian agent Emma Addo has declared. [October 30, 2014]
- NFF electoral appeals committee to meet Nov 11 The NFF Electoral Appeals Committee, constituted at the Extra-Ordinary General Assembly of 20th September, 2014 in Warri, Delta State, will on November 11 and 12 sit on pending appeals from the NFF Executive Committee elections of 30th September in the same city. [October 30, 2014]
- Premier League’s highest-earning managers We kick off with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers who earns just above the average for a top flight manager. During the Northern Irishman ‘s two years and four month reign at the club he has transformed the Redmen from eighth place to title contenders. [October 30, 2014]
- Congo: We will clip Eagles wings Congo Coach Claude Le Roy has told Nigeria to forget about qualifying for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations. [October 30, 2014]
- Pele to attend Eagles, Black Stars clash in Uyo African champions Super Eagles will face Ghana in an international friendly on Friday 7 November 2014 to officially open the ultra-modern Akwa Ibom International Stadium. [October 30, 2014]
- Amodu wants NFA to recall Keshi for Congo, South Africa matches Shuaibu Amodu, the interim Super Eagles Head Coach, has asked the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to allow Stephen Keshi to continue handling the national senior male football team. [October 30, 2014]
- ‘Jonathan had ordered Keshi be reinstated’ Stephen Keshi could be set for a surprise return as coach of African champions Nigeria after the apparent intervention of the country’s President Goodluck Jonathan [October 30, 2014]
- Court case dropped against NFF A court case against Nigeria’s football association that threatened to earn the country a lengthy ban from international competition has been dropped, lawyers said on Thursday. [October 30, 2014]
- I won’t obey court order based on hearsay – Danagogo Sports Minister Tammy Danagogo says he will ‘never obey’ any court order that is not explicitly served on him, amid accusations of disobeying a court order after appearing in public with Amaju Pinnick, whose election as the Nigeria Football Federation President was annulled by the Federal High Court in Jos. [October 30, 2014]
- Kalu tasks Pinnick on unity As controversy continues to envelop the Nigeria Football Federation, former Governor of Abia State and Pillar of Sports, Dr. Orji Kalu has made a passionate call for calm. [October 30, 2014]
- I want to score in every match in Canada – Oparanozie Top scorer in the African Women Championship, Desire Oparanozie has promised to score more goals and propel the Super Facons to a respectable finish at the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada. [October 30, 2014]
- Court decides on NFF case today Justice Ambrose Allagoa of the Federal High Court sitting in Jos yesterday adjourned to today, to rule in the case of preliminary objection filed by the counsel to the Nigeria Football Federation, Damon Dashen. [October 30, 2014]
- Akwa Ibom inaugurates stadium commissioning committee Towards guaranteeing a hitch free opening ceremony, the Akwa Ibom State Government Tuesday in Uyo set in motion a Central Planning Committee to deliver “ a unique commissioning ceremony” for its 30,000 capacity Akwa Ibom International Stadium. [October 30, 2014]
- Mbachu retires Super Falcons striker, Stella Mbachu has announced her retirement from football. [October 29, 2014]
- Mourinho: Mikel’s a true professional Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has praised the professionalism of Super Eagles midfielder John Obi Mikel for keeping up his performance when needed despite losing his spot in the team. [October 29, 2014]
- Man U sign deal with Nigerian fruit juice company English Premiership giants, Manchester United, have signed a deal with with Chi Limited to become the club’s official soft drinks partner in Nigeria. [October 29, 2014]
- Jonathan receives AWC trophy from Super Falcons President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday in Abuja received the trophy of the just concluded African Women Championship (AWC) from the winners, Nigeria’s Super Falcons. [October 29, 2014]
- Court rules on NFF’s case Oct. 30 The Federal High Court in Jos on Wednesday fixed Oct. 30 for ruling on an appeal for execution of its Oct. 23 ruling nullifying the General Assembly of Nigeria Football Federation in Warri, Delta. [October 29, 2014]
- Maradona withdraws theft complaint against girlfriend after video leak Former Argentine soccer star Diego Maradona on Tuesday withdrew a theft complaint against his ex-girlfriend, after a video surfaced that allegedly showed him hitting her, news reports said. [October 29, 2014]
- FIFA gives Nigeria reprieve Nigeria yesterday received a reprieve from world soccer-governing body, FIFA, which has moved the deadline for the nation’s ban to Friday, October 31, 2014 at midday Nigerian time. [October 29, 2014]
- NFF Congress: FA Chairmen to sue for forgery Some State Football Association Chairmen have vowed to sue those behind the current football crisis for impersonation and forgery. Their story started this way: [October 29, 2014]