- Nigeria former anti-graft tsar defects to scandal-hit, ruling PDP Nigeria's former anti-corruption chief Nuhu Ribadu has defected to the ruling People's Democratic Party to contest a state election, in a filip for President Goodluck Jonathan, whose PDP has been reeling from high profile corruption scandals. Analysts said his move was a big blow to the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC). A report by Ribadu's team in 2012 showed Nigeria lost out on tens ...
- Nigeria's foreign debt at $9.38 bln, up 40 pct from last year By Felix Onuah ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's foreign debt stands at $9.38 billion, up 40 percent in absolute terms from its last publicly available data of $6.7 billion at the end of March 2013, the Debt Management Office said on Tuesday. The DMO said local debt was currently at 8.9 trillion naira($55 bln), up 37.1 percent from 6.49 trillion naira at end-March 2013. Nigeria rebased its economy in ...
- Nigeria Opposition Pins Hope on Anti-Jonathan Ticket to Oust PDP Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria's president. Close Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria's president. Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria's president.
- Boko Haram abduct dozens of boys in northeast Nigeria: witnesses By Lanre Ola MAIDUGURI Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist Boko Haram fighters have abducted dozens of boys and men in a raid on a remote village in northeast Nigeria, loading them onto trucks and driving them off, witnesses who fled the violence said on Friday. The kidnappings came four months after Boko Haram, which is fighting to reinstate a medieval Islamic caliphate in religiously mixed ...
- In Nigeria, Ebola threat tests the rhythms of daily life At a nightclub in the Nigerian capital Saturday, nearly 500 miles from the nearest Ebola patient, two partygoers bumped elbows in what has become an alternative greeting to the handshakes that typically last well into a conversation. The men then pointed at each other, acknowledging the funny new greeting – a response to the Ebola outbreak, which has infected 12 people and killed four in the ...
- Oshoala excels as Nigeria, Germany reach final FIFA.com rounds up the action from a dramatic and goal-laden day of semi-final action at the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, one which culminated in joy for Germany and Nigeria.
- Top doctor is Nigeria's fifth Ebola death A senior doctor who treated Nigeria's first Ebola patient has died, taking the death toll in Africa's most populous country to five, health minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said on Tuesday. Chukwu said the doctor was "the most senior who participated in the management of the (first Ebola) patient" in the country. Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, 40, died in a Lagos hospital on July 25, five days after ...
- In Nigeria, Ebola threat tests the rhythms of daily life (+video) Concern over the outbreak has changed everything from standard greetings to how people board the bus. Nigeria is being credited for quick action, but the public mood is tense.
- Nigeria now has 12 Ebola cases, 5 recovered Nigeria has 12 confirmed cases of the Ebola virus, up from 10 at last week's count, of which five have almost fully recovered, the Health Ministry said on Monday. The Ebola virus has killed more than 1,000 people in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia since the outbreak began in March, and four people have died in Nigeria since it was brought to Lagos by a Liberian man on July 20. "Patients under ...
- Nigeria Football Federation reinstates president ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) The Nigeria Football Federation says Aminu Maigari has been reinstated as president after he was forced out of office during the World Cup, leading to the country being banned from all football by FIFA.
- Outrage Over Global Ebola Response - Calls for Action [allAfrica]Washington, DC -Imagine this choice. Your child has Ebola symptoms. You have no protective gloves to help keep you alive to care for her. But she needs comfort, so you wash her and wipe away her vomit – and you both die.
- Soldiers Rebel over Lack of Weapons to Fight Boko Haram [This Day]A group of soldiers in the North-eastern part of the country is refusing to fight Islamist sect, Boko Haram, until they receive better equipment, one of the mutineers has told the BBC Hausa Service.
- Boko Haram Forces Victims to Fight, Kill [VOA]Abuja -The Boko Haram insurgency continues to expand in size and tactics, kidnapping villagers and forcing them to fight.
- For Fear of Ebola, Davido Cancels Cameroon Concert [Cameroun-Info.Net]Nigerian recording artist, performer, and record producer David Adedeji Adeleke, better known by his stage name Davido cancelled his concert in Cameroon a day after the Cameroon government announced closure of their borders and suspension of flights from Ebola-infected nations like Nigeria.
- 'The Other Side of Nigeria's War on Terror' [Channel 4]The kidnap of more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls by hard line Islamists shocked the world - and focused new attention on the terrorist group Boko Haram.
- Police, Your "Friend, Helper" [Vanguard]Whenever a new Inspector General of Police is appointed, he calls together the top echelon of the Police, with great media attention, to unfold his vision and mission. The recently appointed IGP, Alhaji Suleiman Abba, is no different. Abba has made it clear that the Nigerian Police under his charge would be modelled as, not just a friend but also a "helper". According to him, it is only when a policeman demonstrates his eagerness to help members of society that he is accepted as a friend.
- Health Minister Expresses Confidence in Ebola Containment Measures [VOA]Nigeria's health minister says the administration has made strides in containing the Ebola disease by implementing a "multidimensional and Multi-sectorial" approach to combat the disease after some infected patients were successfully treated and discharged.
- Brave Doctor, Adadevoh Loses Ebola Battle [Vanguard]LAGOS-- FRONTLINE medical Doctor, Ameyo Stella Adadevoh, who saved the country from potential epidemic of the Ebola Virus Disease, EVD, yesterday, fell to the vise-grip of the disease which she contracted while attending to the index (first) Ebola case, the late American-Liberian, Patrick Sawyer.
- Ebola - UN Health Agency Reports Encouraging Signs in Nigeria, Guinea [UN News]While the trends of the outbreak of Ebola in Nigeria and Guinea, where the virus made its first appearance in West Africa last December, have shown encouraging signs, the United Nations health agency today expressed concern about the situation in the Liberian capital of Monrovia.
- Patrick Sawyer - Agent of Death [Daily Independent]There is no other way to remember Patrick Sawyer, the American-Liberian diplomat who brought Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) to Nigeria than as the fabled agent of death. The Close Circuit Television (CCTV) images at the James Spriggs Payne's Airport, Monrovia, from where Sawyer embarked on his journey to Nigeria confirm my position. There is no doubt that Sawyer was fully aware of his health status and the implication of a journey to Nigeria. Today, one man's recklessness and wickedness have brought untold cons
- Keshi Dumps Eagles [Daily Independent]Lagos -Former Super Eagles Head Coach, Stephen Keshi has ended his romance with the team following the failure of the crisis ridden Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to improve on his first contract.
- Witness Recounts How Vandals Killed Nine Policemen At Arepo [Daily Independent]Lagos -An Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Usman Aliyu, on Wednesday told a Federal High Court in Lagos that the suspected pipeline vandals, who allegedly killed nine policemen in Arepo, a suburb town in Ikorodu, sang war songs before firing gunshot at policemen.
- Lagos Partners South Africa On Girl-Child Empowerment [Daily Independent]The many ills of violence against women became the centre of discussion last Tuesday when Lagos State Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation (WAPA), in collaboration with the Consular General of South Africa opened up window of opportunity for fifty young undergraduates to garner experience through the latter's 'Take a Girl- Child to Work' project.
- FG, LASG Disagree On New Ebola Cases [Vanguard]The Federal and Lagos State governments, yesterday, differed on new suspected cases of Ebola Virus Disease, EVD, in the country.
- Police, Agip, Bayelsa Community Leaders Meet Over Obama Flow Station [Vanguard]The Assistant Inspector General of Police, AIG, Zone 5, Benin, Edo State, yesterday, has summoned the officials of Nigerian Agip Oil Company, NAOC, and the representatives of six communities in Nembe Kingdom in Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State over alleged plot by some youths to blow up pipelines linking the Obama flow station.
- Fire Engulfs NFF's Office in Abuja [Daily Independent]The flames are said to have started from a spark in the accountant's office which quickly spread through the building before it was eventually brought under control by fire service
- Engage Boko Haram, Guber Aspirant Urges Jonathan [Daily Independent]President Goodluck Jonathan has been enjoined to practically engage the members of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, by creating more jobs and good environment for the young ones as a way of dissuading them from joining the terrorist group.
- External Reserves Grew 0.44 Percent in First-Half August - CBN [Daily Independent]The ambitious growth in nation's external reserves in recent times weakened in the first 18 days of August, going by latest data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
- APC Warns Against Arrest of Party Chairman in Borno [Daily Independent]The All Progressives Congress (APC) has strongly warned against the plan by the Department of State Security (DSS), acting at the behest of some politicians, to arrest its Chairman in Borno State, Ali Abubakar Dalori, on trumped-up charges.
- Ebola Death Toll Hits 1,229 - Who [Daily Independent]The number of deaths from the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has climbed to 1,229, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Tuesday.
- Boko Haram - Soldiers Disobey Deployment Order [Daily Independent]A group of soldiers in the North East has been reported to be refusing to fight Boko Haram insurgents until they are better equipped.
- Church Honours Araraume, Ihedioha, Others [Daily Independent]Ss -The Anglican Communion in Imo State has honourred Senator Ifeanyi Araraume with the distinguished leadership award for his exemplary role in attracting dividends of democracy to his senatorial zone, Okigwe, and other parts of Imo State between 1999 and 2007.
- How Does a Creditor Perfect a Security Interest? [Daily Independent]It is possible for a debtor to agree to give many different creditors, each unaware of the others, a security interest in the same goods. The general position is that the first creditor to perfect a security interest has priority over all other creditors. Upon default, the creditor with priority may repossess and resell the goods even if they are now held by an innocent purchaser. Such priority creditor takes as much of the proceeds from the sale of the collateral as is necessary to satisfy his or her clai
- Oyo PDP Blames Govt for Aleshinloye Market Inferno [Daily Independent]Ibadan -Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blamed the state government for the fire incident that occurred at Aleshinloye Market in Ibadan South-West Local Government Area of the state at the weekend.
- Glasshouse Fire - Umeh, Baribote Allege Sabotage [Daily Independent]Abuja -Factional Acting President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Mike Umeh and former NPL boss, Runson Baribote have alleged sabotage in the day light inferno that razed a wing of the NFF secretariat, saying that the action was premeditated by enemies of Nigeria Football.
- Re-Introduction of ATM Charge Won't Discourage Financial Inclusion - CBN [Daily Independent]The Central Bank of Nigeria on Wednesday took a swipe at critics of its N65 charge on use of Automated Teller Machine stating that the policy won't discourage its drive for financial inclusion.
- Rivers Indigenes in Bayelsa Woo Jonathan for 2015 Polls [Daily Independent]Yenagoa -The Federated Union of Rivers State Indigenes in Bayelsa State has added its voice to those of other Nigerians who are urging President Goodluck Jonathan to declare his intention to contest the 2015 presidential election.
- Moses Off Form-Keshi [Daily Independent]Immediate past Super Eagles Head Coach, Stephen Keshi has revealed that he left out Victor Moses from the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations double header qualifying matches against Congo and South Africa because the forward has lost form.
- Delta Police Arrest Four Suspects for Snatching PVCS [Daily Independent]Asaba -DELTA State Police Command has arrested four suspects for snatching 503 Permanent Voters Cards (PVCS) meant for distribution. DSP Celestina Kalu, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Delta Command confirmed that the DPO, Otu-Jeremi Division received information from the Electoral officer in charge Ughelli South L.G.A, one Uchechukwu Eze 'm' that some faceless elements stormed units 17 and 18 of Jeremi Ward 2 in Oginibo and snatched the PVCS meant for distribution in the said wards.
- Fayose Inaugurates Transition Committee, Laments Ekiti Debt Profile [Daily Independent]Governor-elect Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State on Wednesday inaugurated a nine-man Transition Committee for the smooth take off of his administration on Oct. 16.
- Nollywood Actress Ruth Kadiri Releases Sexy Photos To Promote Matters Arising Movie
- Nollywood Movie Star Mercy Aigbe & Kids On Vacation In London [PHOTOS]
- See Nollywood Stars Ali Nuhu, Funke Akindele Promoting Omo Fast Action [PHOTOS]
- Stella Damasus’s First Daughter Turns 15, Read Her Special Message To Her
- Vacation Photos: Omotola Jalade Sightseeing With Family In Capetown South Africa
- Bukky Wright’s Teenage Son’s Girlfriend Gives Birth To Baby Girl In The US
- Nollywood Celebrity Selfies: Jim Iyke, Rita Dominic, Genevieve Nnaji Show Off Face Pics
- Genevieve Nnaji’s Rumoured Lesbian Partner, Ella Martins Flaunts Killer Curve
- Nigerian Actress Halima Abubakar Says No To Marriage “I’m Not Looking For Husband”
- Saidi Balogun In Debt After You Or I Movie Got Pirated, Nollywood Producer Cries Out
- Grace Amah Gets Best Bed-hopping Nollywood Actress Award Of The Year
- Happy Birthday To Nollywood Actress Angela Okorie
- Iyabo Ojo Finds Love Years After Divorce, Says 1st Marriage Crashed Bcos Of Immaturity
- How Patrick Sawyer Intentionally Infected Nigerian Doctor Ameyo Stella Adedavoh With Ebola Virus
- Picture: 2 Benin Republic Men Who Raped Nigerian Girl Jailed For 10 Years With Hard Labour
- Arab Man Stabbed To Death By European Girlfriend In Dubai For Not Marrying Her
- 2 Ebonyi House Members Arrested Over Burglary At Assembly Chamber
- Ebola Virus Suspects Arrested In Ogun State; 2 Guineans & Nigerian Placed In Isolation
- Photos: Crippled Boko Haram Member Sent To Bomb Lagos Airport
- Boko Haram Suicide Bomber, Crippled Man Arrested With Bomb Near Lagos Airport
- Confession Of Edo Boy Who Slept With Five Dogs
- Boat Explosion In Victoria Island Lagos Killed 1, 9 Injured Victims Rescued
- Killer Of Lagos Bizwoman, Njideka Lizzy Pleads For Mercy “I Don’t Want Another Man To Marry Her”
- Former EcoBank Manager Arrested Over N81M Loan Fraud, Victor Amushie In EFCC Detention
- Lady Beaten Badly By Abusive Boyfriend Says He’s Caring & Romantic
- Two Dead Bodies Found In Sapele Benin Agbor Road In Edo State
- Doctors may end strike, convene stakeholders meeting ABOUT two months down the line, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) is set to end its [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:10]
- Two feared killed by political thugs in Gombe THE gruesome murder of two workers of the Gombe State Agency for Social and Community Development [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:45]
- Jega faults deployment of hooded operatives for elections THE successes recorded at the Osun State gubernatorial election notwithstanding, the Chairman of [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:09]
- Ebola: UCTH takes delivery of protective equipment • WHO cautions on embalmment, funeral ceremonies EVEN as the fear of Ebola spread grips the people [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:38]
- Delegates scramble, as NIMC opens 50 centres CONFAB delegates Wednesday anxiously grabbed the opportunity to be captured in the ongoing [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:07]
- Police arrest eight over alleged stealing of 1,301 PVCs in Delta • Two women in possession of 56 in Kwara THE Delta Police Spokeswoman, Mrs. Celestina Kalu, [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:29]
- El-Zakzaky, DSS bicker over alleged planned attack on military, police • El-Zakzaky denies allegation THE leadership of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Shi’ites, led by [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:56]
- WAEC introduces walk-in-registration for private candidates • N’Assembly decries recurrent poor performance in exams THE West African Examinations Council [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:26]
- Joseph Mbu, 18 other CPs now AIGs • Force receives bomb investigation equipment NINETEEN Commissioners of Police (CPs) have been [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:50]
- Onyebuchi alleges Chime operates poultry, piggery farms at Govt House A NEW twist was Wednesday added to the ongoing investigation of impeachment allegations against [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:08]
- Zuriel Oduwole, Dangote Foundation join drive for education MDG WITH less than 500 days to the realization of the 2015 Millennium Development Goals set by [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:48]
- Taraba lawmakers query appropriation of N10b roads fund DISSATISFIED with how the N10 billion meant for the construction of four-kilometer roads in each [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:06]
- New Telegraph names Osagie new MD The Board of Directors of The Sun Publishing Limited and Daily Telegraph Publishing Company [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:47]
- Group calls for prosecution of resident doctors A GROUP, “Concerned Nigerians Who Are Affected By The NMA Strike Action” has condemned the ongoing [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:05]
- NEPAD prescribes $368 billion projects for Nigeria, others DRIVING real sector growth that would engender economic development would demand Nigeria and other [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:37]
- Safeguard Nigerian ports against Ebola spread, says U.S. envoy • NPA assures on safety at gateways THE Consular General of the United States (U.S) in Nigeria, [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:33]
- Yobe legislators okay N4.15b virement to complete projects THE Yobe House of Assembly, yesterday, approved a virement of N4.15 billion in the 2014 budget, to [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 18:05]
- Govts, firms raise N53.48b from bond market in seven months SOME state governments and quoted companies raised N53.48 billion from the bonds market of the [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:31]
- Govt moves to halt influx of imported lubricants ...Targets enhanced local production, export market THE Federal Government has commenced plans to [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:39]
- CBN clears air on remote-on-us policy THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said it has noted some public comments on its recent policy [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:30]
- SAP unfolds plan to invest $500m in Nigeria, others INFORMATION and Communications Technology (ICT) markets in Africa, particularly in Nigeria, South [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:37]
- Empowerment of women imperative for MDGs achievement MINISTER of Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Zainab Maina, has said that empowering [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:28]
- NUPENG decries IOCs disposition to local content agenda . Seeks govt’s intervention in OBOB gas plant project THE Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:35]
- Sterling Bank bags CBNs agric scheme award STERLING Bank Plc has been conferred the Best Performing Bank under the Commercial Agriculture [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 18:14]
- Access Bank, Visa partner online firm on e-procurement services ACCEESS Bank Plc and VISA have singed a partnership deal with an online shopping company- [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 18:12]
- Fire razes NFF secretariat CONFUSED officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Wednesday watched helplessness as fire [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:26]
- Umehs faction, Baribote allege sabotage, want incident investigated THE Mike Umeh led faction of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) executive board has described [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:22]
- Cross River ready for NDDC/South South Athletics Championship, says Ijirigho ATHLETES coming for the Fourth Cross River State/NDDC/South South Athletics Championship, which [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:51]
- Umehs group stays away, as Maigaris NFF chats new roadmap MEMBERS of the Mike Umeh-led faction of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) board Tuesday [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:25]
- NFF invites injured Obasi, four home-based for Congo, South Africa ties THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Tuesday released the names of 23 players billed to prepare [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:23]
- Confident Falconets seek vengeance against Korea FOUR years ago in Germany, Nigeria’s U-20 women’s team, Falconets, took everyone by surprise by [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:22]
- Investment One youth table tennis clinic serves off in Benin City A GRASSROOTS table tennis clinic for the youths in Benin City and its environs served off [Monday, 18 August 2014 21:00]
- Port Harcourt, Lagos Arsenal fans get fantastic Sterling Bank experience THE world-class performance of Arsenal Football Club, culminating in the winning of the Community [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:21]
- Inyama: We are one big family THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Media Committee Chairman, Emeka Inyama, says the storm is [Monday, 18 August 2014 20:58]
- Brume returns to training ahead IAAF Continental Cup AFTER conquering Africa and the Commonwealth Nations in the long jump, Nigeria’s teenage [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:54]
- CAF upholds Lesothos walk over, hands Nigeria AYC ticket NIGERIA has qualified for the final tournament of the Orange African Youth Championship – Senegal [Monday, 18 August 2014 20:57]
- Shorumu tips Falconets for FIFA U-20 Women World Cup final SUPER Eagles Assistant Coach, Ike Shorunmu, has heaped praises on the national women U-20 team, [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:52]
- NUJ defeats Team LETI 4-0 THE Nigeria Union of Jonurnalist (NUJ), Lagos chapter defeated the Team LETI comprising of [Monday, 18 August 2014 18:11]
News NFF faction claims sabotage in Glass House fire After the Wednesday morning fire incident that engulfed the third floor offices of the Nigeria Football Federation in Abuja, the vice president Mike Umeh has described the it as an act of sabotage. Umeh who was acting president until Aminu Maigari was reinstated by world governing body FIFA was angered about the fire incident and
UN begins huge aid drop in Iraq The UN has begun what is says is its largest aid operation for a decade as it attempts to reach more than 500,000 people in northern Iraq. A jet carrying 100 tonnes of tents and cooking equipment arrived in Irbil, with more flights expected. There are now more than 1.2 million internally displaced people across
Pro-Russian separatists shoot down Ukranian jet Pro-Russian separatists struck two helicopters as well as a jet with portable air defense systems Wednesday in the Luhansk region of Ukraine. A source within the Ukrainian military confirmed the statement by the “South-East Army,” which claims the group downed an Ukrainian Su-25 military jet and a Mi-24 helicopter. Another Ukrainian Mi-24 helicopter was struck,
Adadevoh made the supreme sacrifice —Colleagues, relatives Following the death of the Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh, her family members have said that they have been left devastated. Adadevoh was the lead doctor who attended to the late Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, that brought the Ebola Virus Disease to Nigeria. She died on Tuesday night, making her the fifth recorded fatality
Chibok girls: Britain to send three Tornado planes BRITAINs Royal Air Force plans to send three fighter jets to help in locating the more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents on April 14 this year. The RAF Tornado GR4s equipped with surveillance facilities, according to Daily Mail on Wednesday, will undertake “reconnaissance missions” over the Sambissa Forest where the girls are
Ribadu: PDP NWC meeting fails to discuss waiver Members of the National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party met in Abuja on Wednesday, but failed to discuss the issue of waivers for Adamawa State governorship aspirants, who had applied for them. Leading the list of those who have applied for a waiver in the PDP is a former Chairman of the Economic
Why govt cant reverse suspension of doctors appointments The Federal Government on Wednesday said the embargo placed on appointment of new doctors into public hospitals across the country and the suspension of the Residency Training Programme in the health sector was done in the overall interest of all Nigerians. Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Anyim, stated this in his
Police arrest pastor for rape in Ogun The Ogun State Police Command has arrested a 37-year-old pastor, Segun Alawode, of the Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim, Sabo in Odogbolu Local Government Area for allegedly raping a 32- year old- lady inside the church. The victim, whose identity the police did not disclose, alleged that the pastor was in a prayer
SSouth should shun ethnicity in 2015 The All Progressives Congress National Vice-Chairman (South-South), Mr. Hilliard Eta, has asked the people of the zone to shun ethnic sentiment as they consider who becomes the countrys President in 2015. He said the call was imperative because the zone had nothing concrete to show as the benefit of having Dr. Goodluck Jonathan as President
Dredgers seek compensation for second Niger Bridge Sand dredgers along the River Niger in Onitsha, Anambra State have staged a protest against the non-payment of compensation to them for vacating their sites for the erection of the Second Niger Bridge. Members of the Dredgers Owners Association of Anambra State took to the streets in Onitsha to drive home their demand that they
Abia council workers shelve planned strike Council workers in Abia State have shelved their planned strike over salary arrears following the constitution of a negotiating team by the state government. The Chairman, Local Government Service Commission and Pensions Board, Chief Dan Egbeogu, who disclosed this to our correspondent in Umuahia, said the team is headed by Deputy Governor Emeka Ananaba. Egbeogu
APC cant save Al-Makura from impeachment –Senator The senator representing Nasarawa South Senatorial District, Suleiman Adokwe, has advised the state governor, Alhaji Umar Al-Makura, to reconcile with members of the state House of Assembly instead of looking at the leaders of the All Progressives Congress as his saviours. Adokwe, who said this in an interview with journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, also
- Bharti Airtel & VeriFone to drive Africa’s mobile money evolution Bharti Airtel and VeriFone Mobile Money have reached an agreement to offer VeriFone Mobile Money’s merchant enablement applications for mobile Tap n Pay across Airtel’s 17 operating countries in Africa. According to the company, VeriFone Mobile Money’s Tap n Pay applications are a smart, secure and fast way for customers to pay, buy, bank, bill ...
- Jumia Egypt seals partnership with Sony Jumia has officially inked and sealed its partnership with Sony on its Egyptian website. Launched two months ago, Sony’s online store on Jumia has increased as well as boosted its sales in Egypt by 15%. This is according to the company. Mattia Perroni, CEO...
- Takealot reveals new mobile store Takealot has revealed the launch of its new mobile website. According to Takealot, the mobile site features a redesigned user interface and an improved user experience. Commenting on the announcement, Takealot, CO-CEO Willem Van Biljon said: “We are a...
- Video Interview: Cobus Potgieter talks tech & YouTube IT News Africa caught up with South African YouTube sensation, Cobus Potgieter, to discuss tech in Africa. Potgieter also gave IT News Africa the run down on the equipment and tech that he uses as well as advice to Africans who want to break out onto the...
- MTN using street lamps as network towers in SA MTN has started deploying antennas on street light poles, and erecting purpose-built pole masts with zero visual impact around west and northern Johannesburg to improve network coverage and quality. The deployment of this technology follows a three year...
- Huawei Uganda launches Mobile Broadband Demo truck show Huawei officially launched the Mobile Broadband demo truck show at Kampala Serena Hotel, in Uganda. The five day demo is set to showcase Huawei’s latest converged communications solutions and philosophies to enhance its brand industry leadership, with a...
- Vodacom unveils R1 Billion network upgrade for Gauteng Earlier this year, Vodacom Group CEO Shameel Joosub announced plans for a 30% increase in investment in Vodacom’s network across South Africa. He stated that amongst other things, the money would go towards adding base stations, getting more data coverage...
- SAP injects $500 Million investment into Africa SAP has revealed a seven-year plan to up-skill local African talent and drive sustainable innovation and growth in Africa. With more than 1,300 customers across the continent, SAP is already enabling African businesses and governments of all sizes to grow,...
- Telkom set to enforce Fair Usage Policy in SA Telkom has revealed that its Internet Service Provider (ISP) will begin to enforce its Fair Usage Policy (FUP). According to Telkom, the reason behind the move is in the spirit of enhancing the Internet experience of all its users. The company has stated...
- BCX names Cisco as anchor partner for MWOT Business Connexion (BCX) has announced that Cisco is now an anchor partner for its Technology of the Future exhibition; MyWorld of Tomorrow Africa (MWOT). Hosted by BCX, MyWorld of Tomorrow will take place from 16 to 18 October 2014 at the Sandton...
- WASSCE: WAEC announces registration of walk-in-candidates The West African Examinations Council WAEC, has said intending candidates for the West African Senior School Certificate Examinations, WASSCE, November/ December 2014 private, who were unable to register during the… ...
- Doctors call for shift of Osun Osogbo festival Medical and Dental consultants’ Association of Nigeria Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo branch, yesterday called for the postponement of the celebration of Osun Osogbo festival slated for… ...
- FG debunks reports of new cases The Federal Government, yesterday, denied reports of new cases of the deadly Ebola virus disease in Nigeria. A statement made available to National Mirror by the Special Assistant to the… ...
- Scientists decry lack of capacity laboratories In the aim to prevent spread of Ebola Virus Diseases (EVD) in Nigeria, the Abuja Medical Laboratory Scientists (AMLS) has called on the Federal government to provide them with level… ...
- Governance ‘sleeping’ in Ondo —APC The Ondo State Chapter of All Progressives Congress, APC, yesterday charged the state government to wake up to its responsibilities of providing good governance for the people, saying governance had… ...
- ‘INEC, others aided PDP’s bye-election victory’ The leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Abia State has accused the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the security agencies and government officials of aiding the candidate of… ...
- Police corporal dismissed for robbery The Ondo State Police Command has arrested and dismissed a police corporal, Omini Nkanu, over his involvement in armed robbery. This was disclosed by the State Commissioner of Police, Mr.… ...
- Community rejects ‘Okorocha’s monarch’ The ripples generated by the purported installation of a new traditional ruler for Obinugwu Community in Orlu local government area of Imo State is rising up, as the people yesterday… ...
- 2015: Abia monarchs bicker over guber zoning Prominent Ukwa/ Ngwa monarchs are divided on the decision of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Abia State chapter to zone the 2015 gubernatorial ticket to the people of Abia South… ...
- Delta: Police nab 4 persons for pilfering 1,301 PVCs Delta State police command yesterday said it has arrested no fewer than four suspected hoodlums for snatching 1,301 permanent voters cards from officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC,… ...
Ekiti debt: Fayose, commissioner in war of words
Ekiti State Governor-elect, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, and the state Commissioner for Information, Mr. Tayo Ekundayo, yesterday… ...Voter registration: Wait for Abuja, INEC tells Ladoja, Akala, Balogun, others
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Oyo State has told former governors of the… ...PDP faults lawmakers over Wamakko’s N3.6bn loan request
Sokoto State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has raised the alarm over the… ...Group advocates power shift in Plateau
A political pressure group in the Plateau State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP),… ...Kwankwaso, others ‘ll return to PDP soon – Sen. Adeyemi
The senator representing Kogi-west in the National Assembly, Smart Adeyemi, is confident that some Peoples… ...APC warns against arrest of chairman in Borno
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has warned against alleged plan by the Department of State Services (DSS) to arrest its Chairman in Borno State, Ali Dalori, on trumped-up charges, saying it is capable of precipitating a crisis in an already volatile environment. ...NSCDC arrests 3 INEC ad-hoc staff over missing voter cards
The Jigawa State Command of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested three Ad-hoc staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over missing 202 permanent voter cards during the just-concluded distribution exercise in the state. ...2015: Crisis hits Kaduna PDP
Fresh crisis is brewing in the Kaduna State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as the Elders’ Forum from the southern zone of the state, yesterday said there will be no automatic ticket for all serving elected officials in the state. ...INEC deploys 400 voters registration machines to Ondo
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has deployed over 400 registration machines to the 18 local government areas of Ondo State for the Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) in the state. ...PDP berates Fayemi over non-payment of workers’ salary
Ekiti State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has decried the alleged non-payment of the July salary of local government workers and teachers by the state government, saying it is wicked to deny workers their wages. ...Sister succeeds sister as Lagos CJ
History was made yesterday in Lagos State as two daughters of a former judge, the… ...How Lagos govt demolished my shops illegally, by contractor
Alhaji Rafiu Olanrewaju, a businessman and contractor, is in deep agony. And he’s accusing the… ...Insurgency: Senator Ndume cries out over displaced persons
Senator representing Borno South Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Aliyu Ndume, has lamented what… ...Nasarawa crisis: Another corpse found as traditional rulers ban political rallies
The body of the fifth victim of the political clash between supporters of All Progressives… ...Demolished church: Anglican Knights want Obiano to fish out perpetrators
As the clergy and members of the Anglican Church in Anambra State continue their protest over the demolition… ...Security: Obiano commends Army, as COAS tours Anambra
Anambra state Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has commended officers and men of the Nigerian Army… ...NLC cautions FG on resident doctors’ sack
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has urged the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) to consider the… ...Ahmed condoles with Emir of Ilorin over Sheikh Al-adaby’s death
Kwara State Governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed, has commiserated with the Emir of Ilorin, Dr. Ibrahim Zulu-Gambari, over the death of eminent Islamic scholar and Mufti of Ilorin, Sheikh Sofiyullahi Kamaldeen Habibulahi Al-adaby . ...Woman drags husband to court over threat to life
A middleaged woman, Mariam Adegoke has dragged her husband, Akeem before a Grade C Customary Court sitting in Agodi area of Ibadan over alleged death threat. Mariam, who resides with her husband and children at Apetere area of Ibadan, wants their 18-year-old marriage dissolved because she suffered a heavy burden in the marriage. ...Man, 70, injured as building collapses in Osun
A 70-year-old man, Pa Samuel Osuntoyinbo, was yesterday, injured in a building that collapsed at Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, Osun State capital. Pa Osuntoyinbo, who lived in the storey building located on Ilesa Road, Oke Ayepe, was said to have lost his two legs in the incident. ...Prepaid Meter: FG approves N33bn intervention fund for Discos
The Federal Government has approved N33 billion low interest intervention fund to support the Distribution… ...Why Bankers Committee endorsed ATM charge –CBN
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday shed light on the recent Bankers Committee decision… ...NSE to revoke licences of inactive dealing member firms
In a bid to maintain the integrity of the capital market and further protect investors,… ...FirstBank’s Firstmonie to disburse MDGs funds
Firstmonie, the mobile banking service from FirstBank, has been selected by the Office of the… ...Fashola unveils Tejuosho shopping complex for public occupation
The Lagos State Government over the weekend brought succour the way of Tejuosho traders whose shops and wares were gutted by fire on December 18, 2007. ...Ogun provides survey equipment to aid accurate measurement
The Ogun State Government has procured modern survey equipment for proper survey work on land matters for surveyors, engineers and environmentalists in the State. ...Labour absolves 32.5 cement grade from building collapse
Not satisfied with inconsistent government policies by government agencies, the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) has cautioned the Federal Government to be weary of its policy somersault on cement standardization. ...Nigeria’s domestic debt now N8.9trn –DMO
Director General, Debt Management Office (DMO), Dr Abraham Nwankwo, yesterday put Nigeria’s domestic debt at N8.9 trillion while the external debt stock has risen to $9.3billion. ...July revenue dips by N101bn, as FAAC shares N630bn
The Federal Government’s revenue allocation fell from N784.886 billion in June to N630.325 billion in July following a decline in Companies Income Tax collection and a series of shutdowns of Trunklines and pipelines at various terminals at Akpo and Bonny terminals. ...Jonathan disburses N869m of N220bn MSME fund
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday disbursed about N869.9 million of the N220 billion earmarked for the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to the first batch of beneficiaries of SMEs in Abuja. ...Don Jazzy joins online ice bucket challenge for ALS research
(LAGOS) Nigerian multi award winning record producer, musician and songwriter, Michael Ajereh, popularly called Don… ...MTN boosts Battle Of The Year
Telecoms giant, MTN has, thrown its weight behind this year’s edition of the annual Battle… ...Leadership lessons Adedibu taught me –Femi Emmanuel
Presiding Pastor, Livingspring Chapel International Lamidi Adedibu is one name that strikes a familiar chord.… ...De’boyed’s Lets Celebrate video goes viral
These are happy times for America based Nigerian singer and rapper, Deboyed. The video of… ...Star The Winner Is’: Rhema secures semi final ticket
23-year-old Rhema Osbourne has secured a well-deserved spot in the semi finals of Star The… ...I can’t date a celebrity –Run Town
Douglas Jack Agu aka RunTown, is one of the fast rising pop acts that have… ...My vision for Rivers State –Julius Agwu
Last week, news that ace comedian, Julius Agwu, would be running for the governorship of… ...My husband, my favourite leader –Princess Romeo Oghene
Princess Romeo Oghene is a businesswoman in all ramifications. She is into properties, building, interior… ...2015: Celebrities endorse Jimi Agbaje for Lagos guber race
Entertainment industry buffs recently kept showbiz issues aside to rally around the vision for a… ...‘Sexyllency’ Anita Joseph’s porn movie controversy
“Have you heard?” “Heard what?” “Actress and movie producer, AfroCandy will give Anita Joseph a… ...
- Maersk raises profit outlook - Danish shipping and oil conglomerate AP Moeller Maersk raised its full-year profit guidance on Tuesday after quarterly results were boosted by a strong performance by its container shipping business. It also said it would return about $1 billion to shareholders over the next year through a share-buyback programme. The group, which has strong operations in
- Conoil HI profit down 36.77% on ballooning input cost - Nigerian petroleum marketer, Conoil plc, had half year (H1) profit crimped by ballooning input cost culminating in low income margins, analysis of the company’s financial statement shows. For the six months through June 2014, Conoil’s net income tumbled by 36.77 percent to N1 billion from N1.59 billion, as of HY 2013, while revenue dipped by
- Shoprite’s FY profit growth lags consensus - South African grocer Shoprite Holdings missed estimates with a 3.3 percent rise in full-year profit on Tuesday as consumers battling high personal debt and rising prices cut spending. Africa’s biggest retailer said diluted headline earnings per share totalled 697.6 cents in the year ended June, well below 729 cents estimate in Reuters poll of 16
- ‘We have made Nigeria self-sufficient in cement production’ - Aliko Dangote, president, Dangote Group, has vowed to increase investment drive in the country by creating new industries and expanding existing ones between now and year 2017. In this interview with RAZAQ AYINLA and some journalists, Dangote boasts that the largest cement plants in the world are controlled by indigenous company – Dangote Cement plc.
- Stanbic IBTC assures farmers, others of integrity of e-warehouse receipt system - The CEO of Stanbic IBTC Bank, a member of the Stanbic IBTC Group, Yinka Sanni, has assured farmers and other stakeholders in Nigeria’s agribusiness sector that the novel electronic warehouse receipt system (e-WRS) introduced by the Nigeria Commodity Exchange (NCX) will engender integrity of transactions, transparency, and sustainability. Sanni gave this assurance at the official
- UniCem sensitises end-users in Aba, Owerri on proper cement application - United Cement Company of Nigeria Limited (UniCem), Nigeria’s third largest cement manufacturer, last week undertook two trade fora with its end-users comprising customers, masons, block makers and builders in Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State, and later in Owerri, the Imo State capital, to share information on cement product application. According to Vipul Agrawal,
- SAP to accelerate growth in Africa with $500m - Enterprise software and services leader SAP would invest $500 million in Africa, as it embarked on a seven-year plan to up-skill African talent and drive sustainable innovation and growth on the continent, it announced on Tuesday. The goal is to establish the African region as one of the company’s top-five growth markets globally. Much of
- WACL sees strategic partners in architects, builders to drive industry - The West African Ceramics Limited (WACL) says it considers architects and builders as strategic partners to drive positive development in the building industry and support the local content policy, explaining that the partnership with architects is fundamental to their product design development. The company, which got high rating of its tiles from the Nigerian Institute
- Samsung in aggressive push to capture entry-level smartphone market - Samsung, Korean smartphone maker, is making an aggressive push into the low-cost smartphone segment of Nigeria’s phone market with the introduction of two new reasonably-priced devices, which pack a punch in terms of functionality, but targeted at the new generation of users. The technology company on Tuesday rolled out its Galaxy Trend Lite and Galaxy
- Aiico Insurance HI profit drops 22.60% on rising cost - Aiico Insurance plc half-year profit drops 22.60 percent on rising operating costs, analysis of the financial statement shows. For the first six months of the year, Aiico’s net income plummeted by 22.37 percent to N1.13 billion from N1.46 billion the same period of the corresponding period (HY) 2013. Earnings per share (EPS) reduced to 16.43k
- Falconets down Korea DPR, soar into final Asisat Oshoala scored four times as Nigeria reached the final with a thumping 6-2 victory over Korea DPR in the highest-scoring semi-final ever seen at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup. Oshoala also laid on two more goals in a win that leaves the Super Falconets to face either France or Germany on Sunday at Montreal’s Olympic Stadium, and the North Koreans to play for third place at the same venue [August 20, 2014]
- We ‘ll get over it, says Maigari NFF President Aminu Maigari has thanked God that no lives were lost in the fire incident at the Glass House Wednesday morning. [August 20, 2014]
- Oshoala: I’m not under pressure to score After two player-of-the-match performances and three goals, and emerging as her team’s most influential player, Super Falconets midfielder Asisat Oshoala says she is not under pressure to continue her impressive form when they take on Korea DPR in their semi final duel today. [August 20, 2014]
- Falconets plan early goal against North Korea Falconets coach Peter Dedevbo has said he hopes his team score an early goal to unsettle North Korea in Wednesday’s U20 Women’s World Cup semi-final. [August 20, 2014]
- Nigeria invites Enyeama, 22 others for Devils, Bafana Cup holders Nigeria have called up 23 players, including ace goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, for next month’s 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against the Red Devils of Congo and South Africa’s Bafana Bafana. [August 20, 2014]
- Sterling Bank offers Arsenal fans ‘Fantastic Experience’ The world-class performance of Arsenal Football Club, culminating in the winning of the Community Shield last weekend, is creating excitement in the clubs legions of supporters in the country. [August 20, 2014]
- Maigari confident Falconets will cruise into final President of Nigeria Football Federation, Alhaji Aminu Maigari has inspired players of the U-20 Women National Team, Falconets, with words of courage, saying he has confidence in them to reach Sunday’s championship final. [August 20, 2014]
- Ebola: CAF gives Nigeria all clear to host matches Nigeria has been given the all clear to host AFCON qualifying matches which begin next month after the Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) instructed Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia to find neutral grounds for their matches. [August 19, 2014]
- Mourinho wants Cech to battle first choice Courtois Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho confirmed that goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will continue to play but expects long-standing number one Petr Cech to stay and fight for his place. [August 19, 2014]
- Top six La Liga signings of the transfer window Despite Spain’s failure to shine at the World Cup in Brazil, La Liga has again lured a host of world stars to Spanish shores in recent months with Real Madrid and Barcelona predictably leading the way. [August 19, 2014]
- I will never bite anyone again— Suarez Barcelona striker Luis Suarez said he has received professional help after receiving a four-month ban for biting an opponent for the third time in his career when he clashed with Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup. [August 19, 2014]
- Rwanda appeal CAF disqualification The Rwanda Football Federation on Tuesday appealed against its disqualification from 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers for fielding a player with double nationality. [August 19, 2014]
- Drama in NFA as Maigari, Umeh claim chairmanship position There was a mild drama yesterday at the secretariat of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as the impeached president of the NFF, Alhaji Aminu Maigari who was reinstated to his position last Friday by the Minister and Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Tamuno Danagogo resumed in his office. [August 19, 2014]
- 2016 Olympics: Navy, NOC join forces on ‘One-Service-One-Medal’ project The Nigerian Navy has expressed its readiness to collaborate with the Nigeria Olympics Committee (NOC) in grooming the country’s athletes through sponsorship of training to ensure optimum performance during the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil. [August 19, 2014]
- I defied Ebola, bombs to be in Nigeria – British coach A swimming coach, James Richards from Leeds in England is presently in Nigeria conducting a week-long technical coaching course put together by the Aquatic Federation of Nigeria for Nigerian coaches. [August 19, 2014]
- 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup: Falconets fear no foe – Coach Falconets coach Peter Dedevbo is upbeat his team can go all the way to the final of the FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup at the expense of North Korea on Wednesday. [August 18, 2014]
- Afcon 2015 Qualifier: Rwanda FA kicks against disqualification The Rwanda Football Federation (FERWFA) has said they will send an appeal to CAF after they were disqualified from the 2015 Africa Cup of nations (Afcon) qualifiers. [August 18, 2014]
- Maigari calls for extension of time for purchase of NFA elections’ forms Aminu Maigari, Chairman of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA), on Monday in Abuja called for an extension of time for the purchase of forms for the forthcoming NFA board elections. [August 18, 2014]
- Mourinho drops Cech Jose Mourinho has dropped veteran goalkeeeper, Petr Cech for Belgian starlet, Thibaut Courtois as Chelsea o-pen their EPL campaign against Burnley [August 18, 2014]
- Mikel will play— Mourinho Chelsea FC manager, Jose Mourinho, has maintained that Nigeria’s John Mikel Obi will be part of his team for the 2014/2015 English Premier League that started at the weekend. [August 18, 2014]
- Tension as Maigari resumes today Palpable tension has enveloped the Glass House, Abuja, the seat of football administration in the country as the re-instated President of the NFF, Alhaji Aminu Maigari prepares to resume today. [August 18, 2014]
- Nigeria maul New Zealand 4-1 to reach semis The Super Falconets of Nigeria defeated New Zealand in the quater final of the ongoing FIFA U-20 Women World Cup in Canada. [August 17, 2014]
- Democracy indoor game moves nationwide An Indoor Game aimed at entrenching democraic values in Nigeria is to be promoted through visits to elder statesmen, eminent citizens and media houses across the country. [August 17, 2014]
- 2015 African U-20 qualifier F/Eagles await CAF verdict THE Flying Eagles will wait on a final verdict from CAF to know if they have qualified for the 2015 African Youth Championship in Senegal. [August 17, 2014]
- Abia reaffirms support for De Commander’s unifying wrestling championship Abia State Governor, Dr. Theodore Orji, has pledged his government’s support for the forthcoming Commonwealth/Americas Unifying Wrestling Championship billed for Aba on August 31. [August 17, 2014]
- AFCON 2015: CAF disqualifies Rwanda for fielding ineligible player The Organising Committee of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), on Sunday disqualified Rwanda from the 2015 AFCON qualifiers. [August 17, 2014]
- Sturridge gives Liverpool opening win Daniel Sturridge snaffled a 79th-minute winner as last season’s Premier League runners-up Liverpool opened the new campaign with a 2-1 victory at home to Southampton on Sunday. [August 17, 2014]
- Lawyer sues FIFA over refs blunder A 74-year-old colombian lawyer, who claims refereeing at the 2014 World Cup partially caused his cardiac problems, is suing FIFA for 1billion. Aurelio Jimenez cited the Brazil-Colombia game, in which the standard of officiating was widely criticised, as one which caused him particular distress [August 17, 2014]
- Canada 2014: Okon hails Falconets •Keeps tab on team for players Super Falcons head coach, Edwin Okon says he is keenly following the performance of the national U-20 women team, the Falconets in the on-going FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada for two main reasons. It is his prayer that they go far enough in the competition, even to the final so that the girls would gain experience meeting teams from different parts of the world and their approach. [August 17, 2014]
- English Premier League results English Premier League results on Saturday, the opening day of the new top-flight season: [August 16, 2014]
- Van Gaal accepts blame as Man United crash Louis van Gaal accepted responsibility after Manchester United crashed to a 2-1 loss at home to Swansea City on Saturday in his first Premier League game as manager. [August 16, 2014]
- Moses joins Stoke City Chelsea’s Nigeria winger Victor Moses joined Stoke on a season-long loan on Saturday. [August 16, 2014]