- Can Nigeria replicate China's economic transformation? - BBC News
- Insight - Decades after Nigeria's war, new Biafra movement grows - Reuters UK
- Nigeria's unity not negotiable, says Onu - Vanguard
- Nigeria's foreign reserves fall to $30.04bn – CBN - Premium Times
- Boko Haram raids in Nigeria, Niger kill eight - Yahoo News
- Fears of resource conflicts fuelled by climate change in Nigeria - Deutsche Welle
- 'Why we're bringing Saudi German Hospital to Nigeria' - Vanguard
'Why we're bringing Saudi German Hospital to Nigeria'VanguardThe Business Planning Manager, Saudi German Hospital (SGH), Iftakhar Asfi has stated that the hospital management will be establishing, at least, two hospitals in Nigeria, as well as partnering with Nigerian medical colleges, noting that it was ...
- Rethink your drug policies, WACD tasks Nigeria - Vanguard
Rethink your drug policies, WACD tasks NigeriaVanguardThe West Africa Commission on Drugs, WACD, has urged the Nigerian government to rethink its drug policy in the interest of Nigerians and the entire West African zone. The call was made as key findings of the Commission's report titled “Not Just in ...and more »
- How Nigeria can recover looted funds speedily - Dogara - DailyPost Nigeria
- AFCON U-23: Nigeria survive Mali's late blitz, shoot to top - Vanguard
- Aids Agency Discovers 3,500 Male Sex Workers in Abuja [This Day] Abuja -Findings in a new survey carried out by experts on HIV/AIDS have identified about 3,500 male sex workers within Abuja metropolis, a situation that has raised concern about the danger of homosexual activities to the fight against HIV/AIDS in the country. The revelation came amid the anti-homosexual legislation signed into law by former President Goodluck Jonathan. Chairman of NACA maiden lecture, Dr. Patrick Dakum made this known on Friday as a prelude to this year's World AIDS Day in Abuja. On the survey,
- TB Joshua Fails to Show Up for Trial Over Building Collapse [Premium Times] The founder of Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN), Temitope Joshua, was absent in court on Monday at the start of the trial over the collapse of a refurbished six-storey building inside his church premises in 2014.
- Buhari, Zuma to Meet Over MTN's Huge Fine [Leadership] President Muhammadu Buhari and his South African counterpart, President Jacob Zuma, are to meet in Johannesburg this week to discuss MTN's $5.2billion fine, South Africa-based Sunday Times has reported.
- Lake Chad Recedes to 'Catastrophic' Levels [Deutsche Welle] Countries that share Lake Chad will be asking world leaders at the climate talks in Paris to help them transfer water from the Congo basin. The once rich lake has lost 90 percent of its water due to climate change.
- Anxiety As APC Replaces Abubakar Audu Today [Guardian] Lagos/Ibadan/Lokoja -AS the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) meets today to formally announce a substitute for its flag-bearer in the inconclusive Kogi governorship elections, the late Abubakar Audu, there are emerging questions begging for answers if a satisfactory solution is to be found to the constitutional crisis triggered by Audu's death.
- Airport Taxi Operators Raise the Alarm Over Infiltration By Suspected Terrorists [This Day] Taxi operators under the aegis of Airport Car Hire Association of Nigeria (ACHAN) have warned that terrorists may infiltrate the nation's airports as touts are allowed to mill everywhere around terminal facilities, especially at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos and the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja.
- Catholic Bishops Debunk Claims Pope Francis Snubbed Nigeria [This Day] Bishops under the auspices of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) have debunked claims that the Catholic pontiff, Pope Francis 1, snubbed Nigeria in his first visit to Africa.
- Kano Dormitory Fire Claims Seven Students [Premium Times] At least seven students died, while 21 others were injured in a night fire at Government Girls Secondary School, Jogana, 20 kilometers from the city of Kano.
- Commonwealth Gets First Woman Secretary-General [Guardian] Valletta, Malta -History was made yesterday at the ongoing 24th Commonwealth Heads of Governments Meeting, (CHOGM) in Malta, when the first woman, Baroness Patricia Scotland from the Dominican Republic emerged the new Secretary-General of the 66-year-old organisation.
- President Buhari Okays Appointment of 30 New Judges [Guardian] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday approved the appointment of 30 new Judges for the Federal High Court on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council.
- State to Prosecute TB Joshua, Others Over Deadly Church Collapse [Premium Times] The trustees of ?Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) will on Monday (November 30, 2015) be arraigned before a Lagos State High Court in Ikeja over the collapse of a six-story building in the church on September 12, 2014, which led to the death of 116 persons.
- Samson Siasia's Mother Rescued from Kidnappers [Vanguard] Yenagoa -The kidnapped mother of Samson Siasia, Nigeria's Under 23 coach, has regained her freedom.
- Failed Marriages - Don't Move Into Govt House, Cleric Warns Ugwuanyi [This Day] Enugu -The Archbishop of the Enugu Ecclesiastical Province of the Anglican Communion, Most Rev. Dr. Emmanuel Chukwuma, on Friday warned Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi against moving into the Government House or risk having a failed marriage. The cleric said a powerful demon with special assignment of attacking and destroying the marriages of the state first families dwelt in the Enugu seat of power. The Archbishop spoke as the remains of wife of a former governor of the state, Nnenna Agnes Nnamani, were laid to rest a
- Buhari Visits South Africa This Week [Daily Trust] President Muhammadu Buhari will visit Johannesburg, South Africa, this week to attend the forum on China-Africa Co-operation.
- 30,000 Nigerians Currently in Germany - Envoy [Vanguard] The New Consul -General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Lagos, Mr Ingo Herbert, on Monday said that no fewer than 30,000 Nigerians were currently living in different parts of Germany. Herbert told newsmen in Lagos that these include: those working, doing businesses, studying, as well as those married to Germans.
- The Arms Contract Investigation [Guardian] THE report of a 13-man audit committee on the procurement of arms and equipment in the armed forces and defence sector from 2007 to date, released by the presidency, may not be the final; but it is certainly damning. It portrays an atrocious system rooted in flippancy and arbitrariness, a system that treats the due process with disdain and, by so doing harm the public interest.
- Ebonyi Governor Suspends Female Aide for "Unruly Behaviour" [Premium Times] The Ebonyi State governor, Dave Umahi, on Sunday suspended his special adviser in charge of Lagos Liaison Office, Jacinta Nworie, indefinitely for alleged "unruly behaviour".
- Awaiting Abuja's Transformer [This Day] As the nation's seat of power, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja is undoubtedly Nigeria's most important city. In addition to its splendid architectural make up and huge infrastructural spread, it remains the best laid out city in the country. Because it was consciously planned, successive administrations expended much energy in efforts to enforce its master plan. The topsy-turvy nature of its history has succeeded in raising its stakes among Nigerians, many of who identify with the city in differ
- Appeal Court Sacks David Mark From Senate [Guardian] Abuja and Makurdi -The Court of Appeal in Makurdi, Benue State, yesterday, nullified the election of former Senate President and Senator representing Benue South District, David Mark.
- APC to Announce Candidate Today As Faleke Heads to Court [This Day] As the National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) meets today to take a final decision on who it shall field to replace the late Alhaji Abubakar Audu who died before the conclusion of the Kogi State governorship election, his running mate, Hon. James Abiodun Faleke, has rejected his nomination as the probable running mate to the party's purported choice to replace Audu, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, for the supplementary election slated for Saturday.
- Kogi Polls - It's Audu's Son or Nobody, Lawmakers Tell APC [Vanguard] Abuja -The constitutional crisis trailing the Kogi State governorship election took a new twist, yesterday, with All Progressives Congress, APC members of the Kogi State House of Assembly insisting that Mohammed Audu, the first son of the deceased APC Candidate, Prince Abubakar Audu, should replace his father in the December 5 supplementary governorship polls.
- Boko Haram Plans Attacks On Churches, Mosques, Markets, DSS Warns [Vanguard] The Department of State Services, DSS, has alerted Abuja residents over plots by Boko Haram to attack churches, mosques and markets, using girls to bomb those places.
- Audu - Signs of Death Before His Fall [Vanguard] Lokoja -What ordinarily should have been a story of joy for the Family of Abubakar Audu, his political party, All Progressive Congress, APC, his associates and friends of a seeming victory in the Kogi Governorship election turned out to be a tale of agony.
- Proposed Review of Copyright Law - Nollywood Indicts NCC, States Position [Vanguard] The Nigerian film industry otherwise known as Nollywood may soon be locked in a legal battle with the Nigerian Copyright Commission,NCC, in the event of NCC tampering with the position of Nollywood on the proposed review of the country's copyright law, a source has revealed.
- Siasia's Team Hold On, Fury Shocks the World, Others [Premium Times] The CAF U-23 Nations Cup kicked off in Senegal last Saturday and Samson Siasia's boys were given a fright and in Dusseldorf, Tyson Fury ended the long reign of Dr. Steel (Wladimir Klitschko) and here are the seven events that caught our attention.
- At CHOGM, Buhari Tells IOCs, Foreign Shipping Lines to Stop Aiding Oil Theft [This Day] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday cautioned international oil companies and financial institutions as well as international shipping lines against helping and encouraging oil thieves to perpetrate frauds in the Nigeria's oil industry.
- Leave Us Out of TSA, Nationa Assembly Tells FG [This Day] The National Assembly has silently protested the move by the federal government to include it on its list of government agencies for the execution of treasury single account (TSA).
- Obasanjo - Why I Accepted Tasued's Honorary Award [This Day] Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Saturday explained why he accepted Tai Solarin College of Education's honorary award, saying it was borne out of his respect for the late educationist, Tai Solarin, and the love for late Chief Mrs. HID Awolowo.
- Kano - Casualty Figure Rises to 22 [This Day] The death toll from the suicide bombing which took place Friday at Samawa village in Garun Mallam Local Government Area of Kano State has risen to 22 persons from the previous figure of 21, THISDAY has learnt.
- Audu's Death and Other Deadly Scenarios [This Day] Some things are predictable in life, but many things are not. When the 1979 constitution was being drafted, a provision was introduced with the hope of promoting national cohesion. The drafting committee proposed that for anyone to be elected president, he must, in addition to winning the highest number of votes, score at least 25 per cent of votes cast in two-thirds of the states of the federation. Dr. Yusuf Bala Usman, acclaimed historian now of blessed memory, raised a very important point: what is two-
- Top-tier speakers revealed for 02 December ICT Business Breakfast IT leaders will convene at the the DaVinci Hotel, Maximillien Restaurant, located in Sandton, Johannesburg for the upcoming ICT Business Breakfast – which will be held on 02 December, 2015. The breakfast will cover the theme: “Innovative Security Solutions for Safe & Secure Cities: Technology’s role in creating safe and secure...
- Performanta launches Information Security Learning Academy in SA As many businesses enter their planning phase for the New Year, we remain acutely aware of the challenges that 2015 presented and how we chose to deal with them. We expect exciting times coming in the Information Security market in South Africa. Performanta...
- 5 areas to cover when discussing the possibilities of Cloud Everyone knows that the cloud is growing as a market. However, many companies still struggle with the concept or the reasons why it can benefit their business. This is a great opportunity for resellers – not only to increase revenue, but also to be seen as...
- Absa, MTN offer free access to internet banking service Absa has partnered with MTN to offer free access to mobile and internet banking via Absa’s banking application and via Absa.mobi for all MTN customers. According to the company, customers who don’t have data or airtime will be able to access digital...
- Financial Innovation Summit: A Vision for the Bank of Tomorrow Hosted by IT News Africa, and sponsored by Telkom and Hitachi Data Systems, the Financial Innovation Summit was held at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in Sandton, Johannesburg. The Summit which was held on 28 October 2015 addressed the theme –...
- Have data centres become the lifeblood of business? Just a decade or so ago, data centres were viewed almost as necessary evils; a capital expense needed to “keep the lights on”. They housed databases and kept e-mail up and running, serving as repositories. The Internet changed all that simply by creating...
- Top 7 security tips for Android users in Africa Your smartphone is quickly replacing your PC as the primary device where you shop, bank, and store your personal information. That means it’s becoming an attractive target for cybercriminals who want to get their hands on your passwords and private...
- Cisco outlines steps to help organisations become IoT Ready Cisco has outlined the vital key steps that organisations in South Africa will need to implement in order to become fully digital to embrace the Internet of Things (IoT) era. According to the Cisco Digital Vortex: 941 leaders whitepaper most organisations are...
- Nigeria: Yudala makes first drone delivery According to a report via The Herald, online and offline shopping platform “Yudala” has revealed that it has made its first delivery via the use of a drone. The report reveals that Yetunde Lawal, a staff member of access bank – as well as...
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week This week is technology has been a rather busy, yet controversial one at that. Not only has Neotel’s CFO resigned, but both Vodacom as well as Neotel have placed their upcoming merger on hold. This week, IT News Africa additionally published some rather...
- Twenty SMMEs graduate from MTN SA ABDP This year twenty students are graduating from the MTN SA Foundation sponsored Accelerated Development Programme (ABDP). After an intense year of a curriculum packed with both theory and practical business knowledge at the Dream Development Centre the...
- South Africa: Neotel CFO Resigns According to a statement issued by Neotel, its Chief Financial Officer – Steven Whiley – has resigned from his position. According to the company, the resignation will be effective from 30 November 2015. Whiley as well as CEO Sunil Joshi had been...
- WeChat introduces digital wallet service in South Africa At an exclusive event, which was held in Johannesburg South Africa, WeChat revealed that it has extended its features with the introduction of a digital wallet service. According to the company, like a physical wallet, you can securely store your bank cards...
- Visa and MyGate ink partnership to expand Visa Checkout Visa has partnered with online payments platform MyGate to process Visa Checkout in South Africa. Managing Director of MyGate, Dan Edmiston said: “We’re very pleased to be partnering with Visa as we aim to create enjoyable online payment experiences that...
- Video Interview: Matthew Blewett, Business Connexion, discusses IoT in Africa Matthew Blewett started by consulting to Business Connexion on the formulation and initiation of the revitalisation programme, as a member of the Programme-1 team for a year prior to re-joining the group in September 2008. He re-joined the company in an...
- E-agriculture: How ICT is taking farming into the future Ahmed Ibrahim Wakea Allah is a farmer in Sudan. By taking part in an e-agriculture project, he quadrupled his wheat yield in just one year and went from making a loss of 8000 Sudanese pounds in the 2013/14 season to a profit of 80 000 Sudanese pounds in...
Bayelsa guber poll and sponsored survey
I am a gender activist but keenly interested in the built up to the December 5 governorship election in Bayelsa State, the glory of all lands and Jerusalem of the Ijaw ...PDP: Still grappling with internal wrangling
That a fresh crisis is brewing in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), is no more news. ...APC cautions Dickson against anti -FG coments
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has condemned inflammatory statements against the Federal Government and security agencies by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Bayelsa State. ...PDP, APC divided over survey result
Ahead of Saturday’s governorship election in Bayelsa State, there are ripples over insistence by the Pollster Election Frontline that All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate, Chief Timipre Sylva would win the election. ...Bayelsa decides: APC cloning PVCs, procuring fake uniforms, PDP Govs allege
Ahead of Saturday’s governorship election in Bayelsa State, the Peoples Democratic Party Governors Forum, (PDPGF) has alleged that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) was plotting to rig the poll using cloned Permanent Voter Cards, (PVCs) and fake security agents. ...UPP’ll participate in Ekiti LG poll -Chairman
The United Progressive Party ( UPP) in Ekiti State has resolved to participate fully in the local government poll holding on Saturday, December 19. ...Police arrest 4 for trailing ex-president Jonathan in Bayelsa
Bayelsa State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of four young men for trailing the convoy of former president Goodluck Jonathan after attending a mega rally and presentation of flag to Governor Henry Seriake Dickson at the Samson Siasia Sports Complex at the weekend. ...Kogi: War at APC Abuja secretariat
The National Secretariat of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Abuja became a battle field yesterday when supporters of Hon. James Faleke and Alhaji Yahaya Bello clashed over the stalemated Kogi State governorship election. ...APC cloning PVCs, procuring fake uniforms, PDP Govs allege
(ABUJA) Ahead of Saturday governorship election in Bayelsa state, the Peoples Democratic Party Governors Forum,… ...Legacy of devastation in Abia
By Chima Nwafo THE continued defence and undue adulation of ex-governor Theodore Ahamefule Orji’s deprave… ...I’m ready to abdicate throne for Biafra – Eze Kanu, Nnamdi Kanu’s father
As the River Nile runs from Victoria in Uganda to Egypt, so activism runs in the family of the traditional ruler of Afaraukwu in Umuahia, the Abia State capital. From the monarch ...Red card for okada riders
To many residents of Lagos and those doing business in the city, the construction of the January 27 Bridge was a big relief. ...$16bn refineries to be built in Lagos, Ondo
Two refineries estimated to cost about $16 billion with a combined refining capacity of 290,000 barrels per day are to be built in Ondo and Lagos States respectively. ...Osinbajo decries over-dependence on oil
Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has expressed worry over Nigeria’s over-dependence on oil, saying it was the cause of the downturn of the economy. ...IPOB shuts down Nnewi for Kanu
Thousands of members of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), yesterday, shut down Nnewi, Anambra State in a solidarity protest for the release of Director of Radio Biafra, ...Army arrests Boko Haram members in Lagos
The Army said yesterday that several Boko Haram members fleeing the battlefield in Borno State have been arrested in Lagos. ...Army promotes 18 Major-Generals, 117 Brig-Gens, others
The Nigerian Army has announced the promotion of 17 Brigadier-Generals to the rank of Major-Generals. Also promoted were 117 Colonels to the rank of Brigadier-Generals and 95 Lieutenant-Colonels to the rank of Colonels. ...Senate panel raises extra budget to N521bn
The Senate yesterday mandated the Federal Ministries of Petroleum Resources; Budget and National Planning; and Finance to include an additional N108 billion in the proposed N465.3 billion supplementary budget submitted to the National Assembly by President Muhammadu Buhari a fortnight ago. ...$2bn arms deal: EFCC arrests Yuguda, ex-minister, others
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested a former minister of state for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, and a number of top officials from the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) over the controversial arms procurement scandal surrounding ex-NSA, Sambo Dasuki. ...With The Sun award, I’m ready to break new grounds – Obianodo, Chairman/CEO, Young Shall Grow Motors
The Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the Young Shall Grow Motors Limited, Chief Vincent Obianodo, has described his recognition by The Sun Publishing Limited as a morale booster, assuring that he would not rest on his oars but break new grounds. ...Why we supported innovators –Etisalat
Nigeria’s most innovative telecommunications company, Etisalat Nigeria, has rewarded two young Nigerians, Obi Brown and Chijioke Ezeigbo, for their innovative products and ...Revenues for sharing rise to N473.83bn
The nation’s distributable revenues to the three tiers of government rose in October to N473.83billion, ...FG recovers N706bn from agents, banks
The Federal Government yesterday declared it recovered the sum of N706 billion from revenue-collecting agencies and remittance banks over five years period. ...SON to jail fake products importers, dealers
With effect from 2016, the Federal Government has warned it will prosecute and jail importers and dealers in fake products in the country in addition to their forfeiture of the ...We managed Abacha loot transparently – Okonjo-Iweala
Former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has described as false the allegation that she mismanaged Abacha loot, saying attacks on her were politically motivated. ...N213bn loan: Oilserv seeks return of underperforming Discos to BPE
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Oilserv Limited, Mr. Emeka Okwuosa, has called on the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) to take over the ownership of ...World Bank unveils $16B for African climate challenges
By SAM Otti The World Bank has unveiled a new action plan requiring $16 billion… ...I.M.F. Makes China’s Renminbi One of World’s Select Currencies
The International Monetary Fund on Monday approved the Chinese renminbi as one of the world’s… ...Nigeria’s distributable revenues rose in October to 473.83 bln naira: finance ministry
(ABUJA) Nigeria’s distributable revenues to the three tiers of government rose in October to 473.83… ...Nigeria’s future lies in manufacturing –Issa Aremu
By Bimbola Oyesola THE appalling state of economy and the challenges in the real sector… ...How I survive scandals – Wande Coal
By SANDRA EKE and CHISOM ISRAEL For Oluwatobi Wande Ojosipe, popularly known as Wande… ...All set for Light Up Concert with Chante Moore
American superstar, Chante Moore, who landed in Lagos yesterday, is ready to set the… ...Candy Solomon debuts with Africa My Treasure
Female reggae singer, Candy Solomon, has dropped a new single entitled, Africa My Treasure. According… ...Black Tie Xmas concert parades Olamide, Seyi Shay, Lil Kesh
With the parade of the best of Nigerian acts, it promises to be a night… ...Acting sex role, my most challenging ever –Oma Iyasara
BY TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Fast rising actress, Oma Iyasara, who hit Nollywood in 2011,… ...Nudity Fan defends Cossy Orjiakor
BY TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Reprieve it would seem is on the way for exhibitionist, Cossy… ...Tuface Idibia shares success tips
BY TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Singer, Tuface Idibia, who has just received a chieftaincy title in… ...Album Sales :Adele sets new record
British singer, Adele has broken the single-week U.S. album sales record in just four days… ...Zimbabwe’s new Mr. Ugly ‘too handsome’ for some
Pageant judges have crowned a new winner of Zimbabwe’s 4th annual “Mister Ugly” contest, upsetting… ...I need a man –Noella Wiyaala, Ghanaian singer
BY DEJI AROLOYE Ghanaian artiste, Noella Wiyaala, who won the Video of The Year Award… ...