- Crisis hits Labour Party as faction sacks Chairman
- Southern Kaduna crisis: Conference of speakers of state legislatures condemns killings
- Traffic Law: Lagos to crush over 4,000 impounded commercial motorcycles
- Power sector investors express frustration over N601bn debt
- UK pledges to strengthen Nigeria economic relations
- Power sector investors express frustration over N610bn debt
- NYSC moves to tackle threats against corps members
- Strike paralyses activities in Kogi
- Malabu oil forfeiture: Court slates March 13 to decide Shell, Agip’s fate
- Rape: 35-yr-old sentenced to life in Ekiti
- Now that naira is on the rise again…
- Final rescue call for the naira
- Inflation: Worry as Nigeria begins 2017 with higher misery index
- Nigeria may produce 1.7m tonnes of sugar by 2023 —Sugar Council boss
- BOI leverages MFBs to tackle poverty
- MVBB, Firstbank’s reward for doggedness in building a global brand —Folake Ani-Mumuney
- Nigeria: Exploring tax options to survive recession
- Nigeria, Africa free trade agreements and development
- ABCON’s uniform exchange rate: An agenda for Naira stability
- 2016 LITF Essay Competition and the search for future entrepreneurs
- Why I’m rated best vocalist in Africa —SoJay
- Music is my life —C Face
- 2Digits Record returns with Emergency
- Omotola at BBNaija: How trust sustained my marriage —Omotola
- I lied, faked living well on social media —Actress Tonto Dikeh
- Rihanna named Harvard University’s Humanitarian of the Year
- Burna boy thrills fans during Underrated Club tour
- Chris Brown’s neighbour says she ‘heard him beating’ girlfriend, Karrueche Tran
- Nigeria’s premier music site expands to East and South Africa
- Becca releases “Na Wash” new single ft . Patoranking
- 30 years after, another toxic waste scare hits Koko …as suspect sends soldiers, hoodlums after journalists
- Polio: Jigawa council woos children with candy to accept vaccine
- Age, menopause can no longer stop women from having babies —IVF expert
- FG to step up support for people affected by leprosy
- Be relevant in medical care, UI VC charges new doctors
- Expert wants cancer treatment captured by NHIS
- 7.28 per cent of Lagosians likely to commit suicide —Survey
- NIMR dg calls for implementation of antiretroviral therapy study
- ‘Don’t undersell yourselves’ health minister tells teaching hospital staff
- UCH patients on emergency now get results within 20 minutes —CMD
- Court Sacks Senator, Demands Refund of All Emoluments [Premium Times] A federal high court in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, has sacked the senator representing Akwa Ibom North-East Senatorial district, Bassey Akpan, from the Nigerian Senate.
- Xenophobic Attacks - Group Asks SADC to Sanction South Africa [Premium Times] The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP, has sent an open letter to King Mswati III of Swaziland, and Chairperson, Southern African Development Community, SADC, urging him to "convene an emergency summit of the SADC heads of state and government to discuss the persistent xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other foreign nationals living in South Africa."
- How Mandela, Desmond Tutu Encouraged Me to Contest Presidential Election - Obasanjo [Premium Times] Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday revealed how late South African President, Nelson Mandela, and Desmond Tutu, a retired Anglican Bishop and South African rights activist, influenced him to contest the 1999 presidential race, after he (Obasanjo) was released from prison.
- Nigeria Football Federation On Security Alert Over Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa [Guardian] The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has disclosed that it is implementing a programme that would ensure the security of lives and property of the senior national team's players and officials when they visit South Africa for a Cameroun 2019 African Nations Cup qualifier in June.
- Ayade Kicks Off Construction of 5,000 Housing Units for Bakassi Returnees [Guardian] Calabar -Cross River State Governor, Prof. Ben Ayade has flagged off the construction of 5,000 housing units for the displaced people of Bakassi.
- Whistle-Blowers and the Fight Against Corruption [This is Africa] With the introduction of whistle-blowers into the fight against corruption, the Nigerian anti-graft agencies have recovered huge sums of money. While welcome and commendable, this hasn't stopped people from asking President Muhammadu Buhari to probe members of his own party.
- Amina Mohammed to Assume Duty At UN [Guardian] Ms Amina Mohammed, the immediate past Minister of Environment, will be sworn-in on Tuesday as the UN Deputy Secretary-General at the UN Headquarters in New York, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
- No Education From Mule Kicks [Daily Trust] Soon after he lost the 2008 US presidential election to Barack Obama, a reporter asked Senator John McCain if he intended to run again. The Arizona Republican said he quoted a rural American saying, "There is no education from the second kick of a mule." If a donkey kicks you once and you did not learn any lessons from it, then you will not become any wiser when it kicks you for the second time.
- Osun University Threatens to Dismiss 4,000 Students [Daily Trust] Osogbo -The management of Osun State University, Osogbo has resolved to expel over 4,000 students who are yet to pay their tuition fees as the February 28 deadline ends tomorrow.
- Govt to Get $500 Million World Bank Loan for Out-of-School Children [Leadership] The World Bank yesterday expressed readiness to grant Nigeria a loan of $500 million to enable the country tackle the issue of its teeming out-of-school children.
- Not Interested in Releasing El-Zakzaky, Wife, Govt Appeals Court Judgement [Premium Times] The Nigerian government has approached the Appeal Court to challenge a High Court ruling that mandated the release of the leader of the Shiite Islamic Movement of Nigeria, IMN, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky.
- Army Arrests Three Foreign Boko Haram Suspects [Premium Times] Three foreigners suspected to be members of the Boko Haram were on Sunday arrested in Gombe State, the Nigerian Army said.
- I Was My Husband's Punching Bag - Tonto Dikeh [Ghanaian Chronicle] Recently, star actress, Tonto Dikeh, has been in the news over the turbulence rocking her 17-month-old marriage. At first, the actress and her husband, Oladunni Churchill, chose to keep mute on the issues rocking their marriage but it seems the actress has decided to open up and she has begun to reveal some of the problems she faced in the union that has produced a son.
- Writer Elnathan John Visits Nairobi [East African] Nigerian author and writer Elnathan John visited Kenya for the first time a week ago. He was in the country for literary events, including discussions at Daystar University, and the Literary Crossroads of the Goethe Institut where he featured alongside Kenya's Kinyanjui Kombani.
- 'Policy Inconsistencies, Parlous Infrastructure Threaten FDI' [Guardian] Nigerian professionals in London have stressed the need for government to tackle the issue of policy inconsistencies with pragmatic plan aimed at ensuring rapid development in infrastructure.
- Govt Told to Reinvest Recovered Funds On Economy [Daily Trust] Abeokuta -The Senior Staff Association of Statutory Corporations and Government Owned Companies (SSASCGOC) has urged the federal government to reinvest funds recovered from corrupt public office holders into the already moribund economy.
- Zakzaky - Falana Writes Osinbajo, AGF [Daily Trust] Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) has petitioned Acting President Yemi Osinbajo and the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami (SAN) over the continued detention of leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), Ibrahim Zakzaky and his wife.
- Saraki Assures Nigerians Speedy Passage of Budget [Daily Trust] Dutse -The Senate President Senator, Bukola Saraki has assured Nigerians of Senate's commitment to speedy passage of this year's budget, saying there is no time to waste.
- Two Chinese Arrested for Importing N5 Billion Worth of Substandard Tyres [Guardian] As a ploy to cheat Nigerians and endanger their lives, importers of sub-standard tyres are beginning to latch on to regulations by government agencies, which insist that car owners buy new tyres, by deploying post-dated tyres into the market.
- 1967, a Metaphor for Military Slaughter [Vanguard] The international human rights outfit, Amnesty International, AI, has engaged the Nigerian military authorities in a war of wits, accusations and counter-accusations since our armed forces embraced a full-scale campaign to overcome the Boko Haram Islamist threat in Northern Nigeria.
- I'll Run in 2019, If... - Tinubu [Vanguard] All Progressives Congress, APC, leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has said that he could contest for a political office in the near future including the Presidency whenever the right opportunity presents itself.
- Xenophobic Attack - Govt Blasts South Africa Minister [Vanguard] Senior Special Assistant on Diaspora Matters to the President, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has tongue-lashed South Africa's Home Affairs Minister, Mr. Malusi Gigaba, over his negation of the death of 116 Nigerians in xenophobic attacks by his fellow countrymen.
- Obasanjo - Buhari Is Weak On Economy but Has Not Disappointed Me [This Day] Abeokuta -Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has said President, Muhammadu Buhari, has not disappointed him since he assumed office in 2015.
- I Didn't Bother to Read Confab Report Because It Was a Distraction - -Obasanjo [Vanguard] Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described the 2014 national conference conveyed by ex-President Goodluck Jonathan as a distraction.
- Kaduna to Sell 1,990 Non-Essential Govt Houses [Leadership] In order to cut the cost of maintaining government quarters, the Kaduna State government has decided to sell about 1,990 of its non-essential residential quarters.
- Industry Dynamics Top Agenda As Opec Sec-Gen Visits Nigeria [Leadership] Dynamics in the oil and gas industry will dominate discussions as the Secretary-general of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Dr Mohammad Barkindo, arrives Nigeria on a four-day working visit.
- PDP Sweeps Elections in Taraba, Gombe, Rivers [Premium Times] The People's Democratic Party, PDP, candidates have been declared winners of 13 local government chairmanship seats so far declared by the Taraba State Independent Electoral Commission.
- N-Power - Govt Targets 350,000 Unemployed Graduates in 2017 [Premium Times] The Presidency said on Sunday that its Social Investment Programmes, SIP, had a plan to hire 350,000 more unemployed graduates under the N-Power Volunteer Corps in 2017.
- Saraki Commissions 80-Bed Hospital in Yobe [Leadership] The Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, at the weekend commissioned an 80-bed space hospital built by Senator Mohammad Hassan (PDP, Yobe) in Potiskum, Yobe State.
- Katsina Holds Prayer Sessions for President's Health [Guardian] Yola and Katsina -Series of prayer sessions were held at various locations in Katsina, the home state of President Muhammadu Buhari for his health and early return to the country, at the weekend.
- Service Providers urged to bolster defences against evolving IoT threats Application security company F5 Network encouraged EMEA service providers to step up their defences against large-scale Internet of Things (IoT) hijacks. The call to arms comes in the wake of the recent Mirai botnet, which infected hundreds of thousands of IoT devices, including security cameras, to launch an unprecedented 620+ Gbps DDoS attack. “Few...
- Nokia’s Snake makes a comeback Nokia’s most popular game, Snake is back. HMD Global, a company that was founded to create new generation Nokia-branded smartphones, feature phones and tablets, announced that the new version of Snake will be part of Facebook’s Instant Games cross...
- New Partnership for Vodafone Zambia and Shoprite Vodafone Zambia has announced a partnership with South African food retail chain Shoprite, that allows the 4G internet provider to set up shop-in-shop stores at various Shoprite outlets. The move is a part of the company’s latest attempt to reach out to its...
- MWC 2017 : Digital Transformation accelerates business success The Global Digital Transformation Forum, held on the eve of Mobile World Congress 2017, has become a highly-anticipated MWC kick-off event that defines some of the key themes and trends affecting technology growth. Huawei Technologies has united the...
- Global Fintech Investment declined in 2016- KPMG report According to KPMG International’s The Pulse of Fintech, a quarterly report on global fintech investment, 2016 experienced a decline in the market with a 47.2% slide in fintech investment, this is after 2015’s record-setting US$46.7 billion in total global...
- Aricent’s AI Tech to Revolutionise Customer Engagement Aricent, a global design and engineering company, today at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona announced the launch of Cognitive Services to enhance customer engagement and brand loyalty in a digital era. In collaboration with design and strategy leader,...
- New security from Palo Alto Networks available through Westcon-Comstor Westcon-Comstor Southern Africa is providing reseller partners the opportunity to provide end-user customers advanced security features, at scale, following the announcement from vendor partner Palo Alto Networks that it has expanded its range of...
- Industry leaders discuss digital transformation at latest Innovation Dinner IT leaders converged on the Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton, Johannesburg for the latest Innovation Dinner, which was held on the 22nd of February 2017- and addressed the theme Developing a digital eco-system to drive efficiency and effectiveness. The...
- Boehringer Ingelheim to combat SA’s stroke pandemic In 2014, over 23 000 South Africans lost their lives due to a stroke, with one person diagnosed every six minutes. Despite the estimated 132 000 strokes a year occurring in South Africa, stroke care is inadequate for current patient needs, says Dr Feroza...
- Top stories of the week Another week has gone by where technological advancements continue to provide astonishing stories from across Africa and from around the world. Another eventful week which has seen piracy take a huge blow, blockchain companies make a splash, a presidential...
- Interview: IBM’s Hamilton Ratshefola talks Digital Nation Africa An event recently held at the Turbine Hall in Newtown Johannesburg, saw the official launch of IBM’s Digital Nation initiative- an initiative aimed at increasing digital literacy in Africa . According to the technology giant, the launch of this skills...
- Africa reacts to SA xenophobic violence Xenophobic violence has once again reared its ugly head in South Africa. In recent weeks, scores of Nigerians shops and homes have been looted and destroyed across parts of Johannesburg and Pretoria, in an act of mob justice as they were allegedly drug dens...
- Nigerian Internet Exchange (IXPN) goes live at MainOne’s MDXi Lekki Data Center MainData Nigeria (MDXi) and the Internet Exchange Point of Nigeria (IXPN) have announced a partnership aimed at expanding the peering of Internet Transit traffic within Nigeria. The partnership seeks to take advantage of the numerous networks and content...
- Enterprise IoT to grow steadily in 2017 The January 2017 Red Hat survey conducted around Internet of Things (IoT) shows that while interest in IoT is picking up, actual roll-outs are being approached with the common enterprise IT theme of “steady deliberation”.The study carried out by...
- Telkom and Business Connexion launch BCX, Africa’s end-to-end ICT solutions provider Telkom and Business Connexion have announced the launch of BCX, Africa’s premier end-to-end information communication technology (ICT) solutions provider. This new brand, built from a strategic partnership between Telkom Business and Business Connexion, is...
- SA Budget- R1.9bn allocated for widespread internet access In a bid to increase internet penetration in South Africa, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has announced in the 2017 Budget Speech, that the Ministry of Telecommunications and Postal Services is set to receive R1.9bn over the medium term to invest in...