Chukwumerije:-Senate-to-adjourn-plenary-today">April 21, 2015 : Idris Adesina
- Govt Starts Evacuation of Citizens from South Africa [Vanguard] The Goodluck Jonathan-government has approved the evacuation of Nigerians from South Africa as xenophobic attacks linger.
- South Africa, Dear South Africa [Daily Trust] South Africa has been in the news all week following what has been described as xenophobic attacks on mostly African migrants, triggered by a speech made by Zulu king Goodwill Zwelithini, who said foreigners "should pack their belongings and go."
- Story of Abia Governorship Election [Independent (Lagos)] Umuahia -The three major political parties that participated in the governorship and House of Assembly elections in Abia State are now enmeshed in conflicts over the poll even as the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in the State has declared the elections inconclusive.
- NFF Suspends Keshi's Contract Signing [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja -Again for the umpteenth time on Friday, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) put off the planned contract signing of Coach Stephen Keshi, contrary to assurances by NFF General Secretary, Mohammed Sanusi.
- Boko Haram Kills 22 in Cameroon, Nigeria [Independent (Lagos)] Boko Haram militants, the deadly Islamist sect, has killed no fewer than 10 people in overnight attacks on two villages in northern Cameroon, military source said on Friday.
- 800,000 Children 'Forced to Flee' Violence [Al Jazeera] Almost 800,000 children have been forced to flee their homes as a result of the conflict in northeast Nigeria between Boko Haram, military forces and civilian self-defence groups, according to a new report from UNICEF.
- 'Timeframe for Election Petitions Limits Fair Hearing' [Guardian] How would you assess the recent general elections?
- 'Local Gin' Suspected of Causing 20 Deaths in Ondo [Vanguard] Akure -THE Ondo State government said it suspected ethanol poisoning from a local gin for the death of over 20 persons at Irele area of the state last week.
- Nigerians March on South African High Commission [Premium Times] Nigerians in Abuja, the nation's Abuja, on Monday registered their grievance over the continued xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other Africans in South Africa by marching on the South African High Commission.
- 79 Senators, 229 Reps Not Returning to National Assembly [Daily Trust] A total of 79 senators and 229 members of the House of Representatives are not returning to the National Assembly.
- On a New Road Infrastructure System [Guardian] THAT Nigeria has lost approximately N2.9 trillion in asset value as a result of poor conditions and non-maintenance of the nation's roads is a huge loss, which should ginger development-minded economic managers to action, because a good road system is essential to economic progress.
- Safe Hospitals Project [Daily Trust] A recent report by the World Health Organisation (WHO) said that 29 percent of healthcare facilities in Nigeria do not have access to clean water and safe toilets.
- Research Diary - Herbal Medicine in Nigeria [Africa Research Institute] Policy Voices are collaborations between ARI and leading practitioners in sub-Saharan Africa, which seek to inform policy through first-hand knowledge and experience.
- Rise to Power - Unusual Stories of 'Unknown' Governors - Elect [Daily Trust] Twenty-six governors have been declared elected by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) during the April 11, 2015 elections. Out of this number, some governors have been in the public glare over the years. Others are just emerging from a long history of life's struggles. In this special report, our reporters have unearthed some previously unpopular details about some of these governors-elect, culminating in their journeys to the top in their states.
- How Fake Journalists in Lagos Operate [Daily Trust] Lagos -Fake journalists in Lagos operate in groups. At press events, they pretend to be more active than genuine journalists. This group of impostors are easily identified by the manner they pursue organisers of events demanding for gratification, or what is called the 'brown envelope', at events. They can be frequently seen at notable hotels like the Sheraton at Ikeja, Airport Hotel and Eko Hotel & Suites on the Lagos Island; the Muson Centre and other places like the courts, schools, airports and habours wh
- The Secrets Behind Maiduguri's Tall Walls [Daily Trust] Maiduguri -Historically, 'Yerwa', which is now known as Maiduguri, is famous for buildings, both public and private, that cover large expanse of land, some of them with tall walls and strong gates that make it difficult for outsiders to have an idea of what is inside.
- Ondo Strange Disease - We Suspect Ethanol Poison, Says Commissioner [This Day] Akure -The Ondo State Government at the weekend said the strange disease that has officially claimed the lives of 18 persons in the two communities of Ayadi and Ode Irele in Irele Local Government Area of the state is not contagious.
- Jean-Paul Laborde On Counter-Terrorism [Al Jazeera] The fight against terrorism has been a major theme at the 13th UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice - and in the five years since the last congress was held, the face and tactics of such armed groups has changed drastically. Consider ISIL's recruiting tactics, social media savvy and multinational tactics on the ground in Syria and Iraq, as well as its development of ties with groups such as the Soldiers of the Caliphate in Algeria and Boko Haram.
- PDP Planning to Rig Ajaokuta Re-Run Election - APC [Daily Trust] The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kogi State has accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of planning to rig the April 28 House of Assembly rerun election in Ajaokuta Local Government Area.
- Lagos Pays Retirees N32bn in 5 Years [Daily Trust] The Lagos State government says it paid over N32.2 billion into the Retirement Savings Accounts (RSA) of 6,145 workers who retired from the state's public service between 2010 and the first quarter of 2015 while it issued N8bn Retirement Bond Certificates.
- NLC Wants Buhari to Solve Power Sector Challenges [Daily Trust] President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Comrade Ayuba Wabba has urged president-elect Muhammadu Buhari to fix the power sector if the country must get it right in its quest to create jobs and enhance development in the country.
- My Experience With Buhari As Head of State - - Shehu Malami [Daily Trust] Alhaji Shehu Malami is former Nigerian Ambassador to South Africa. In this interview, he speaks on various national issues. Excerpts:
- Keshi Approves Amokachi's Removal [Daily Trust] Coach Stephen Keshi has approved the removal of Daniel Amokachi as his assistant and he is comfortable with his new number 2 Salisu Yusuf.
- Mimiko Allays Fear Over Ondo Strange Disease, Says No Fresh Case in 48 Hrs [This Day] Ondo State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko has allayed fears over the reported strange disease in Irele Local Government Area, assuring that government efforts at containing the outbreak had yielded fruits as there was no new case in the last 48 hours.
- Xenophobia - Nigeria Spent U.S.$61 Billion to Free S'africa - African Standard [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja -The 21 days of violent xenophobic attacks in South Africa have drawn global outrage and condemnation in the strongest terms.
- Xenophobic Attacks Condemnable - FG [Independent (Lagos)] The Federal Government has condemned the ongoing xenophobic attack being carried out by South Africans on Nigerians and other Africans residing in the country.
- Jonathan Mourns Chukwumerije's Death [Daily Trust] President Goodluck Jonathan has lamented over the death of the chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Senator Uche Chukwumerije.
- Muric Faults Okupe's Comment On Chibok Girls [Daily Trust] The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has upbraids the Senior Special Assistant to President Goodluck Jonathan on Public Affairs Doyin Okupe for attributing the defeat of the President in the March 28 elections to his failure to rescue the Chibok schoolgirls.
- Jonathan Should Institute Legal Action Against S/Africa - Serap [Daily Trust] President Goodluck Jonathan has being urged to institute legal action against the South African government to seek effective remedies for Nigerian victims of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
- Jonathan's Transition Committee Trickish - APC Campaign [Daily Trust] President Goodluck Jonathan transition committee is tempering with official records to provide a soft-landing for the president's men, spokesperson of the APC presidential campaign, Garba Shehu said yesterday.
- Photos: Odunlade Adekola Opens Unisex Salon & Clothing Store In Abeokuta Ogun State
- Photos: Genevieve Nnaji’s Best Friend, Onyinye Carter Grabs Her, Cries Bitterly On Wedding Day
- Photos: Fashola Addresses Nollywood Producers Protesting Against Movie Piracy In Nigeria
- Photos: Chidi Mokeme’s Wife Gives Birth To Baby Boy, Couple Sells Photos To Ovation Magazine
- Photos: Liz Da Silva Opens Clothing Store In Magodo Isheri Lagos
- Nollywood Actress Uju Ozougwu Uses Snail As Headband, Okro As Necklace & Earring In Creative Shoot
- Photo: Fred Amata Steps Out With Agatha Amata’s Daughter, Stephanie
- Mr Ibu’s Mother Dead: John Okafor’s Mum, Victoria Died Of Diabetes In Enugu
- Blessing Egbe Blasts Nollywood Stars Who Became Millionaire Under Jonathan’s Regime
- Photos: Ufuoma Ejenobor Lands Modelling Job With SCUUP Fashion Outlet In Lagos Nigeria
- Photos: Femi Adebayo Arrested By Police For Armed Robbery On Gbewiri Meta Yoruba Movie Set
- Funke Akindele Flaunts Expensive Gucci Bag, Jenifa Steps Up Fashion Game
- Photos: Belinda Effah Wears Indian Attire To Champagne Movie Premiere In London UK
- Emmanuel Sithole’ Killers Arrested: 3 South Africans Who Murdered Man From Mozambique Appear In Court
- Zulu King Who Caused Xenophobic Kilings In South Africa Tenders Apology, Calls For Calm
- Photos: Inside Xenophobia Victims Refugees Camp In Johannesburg South Africa
- Bitter South African Lady Who Supports Attack On Nigerians Living In South Africa Under Fire
- US Begins Extradition Of Nigerian Senator Elect Buruji Kashamu Over Drug Trafficking Charges
- Nigerians Living In South Africa Vow Reprisal Attacks On South Africans If Police Refuses To Step In
- Xenophobic Attack On Nigerians Living In South Africa: A Call For Urgent Action,Open Letter To Buhari
- Photo: Fatal Accident Killed 4 In Iponri Lagos, Bus Passengers Burnt To Death In Lone Crash
- Baby Burnt To Death By Candlelight Fire In Shagari Estate Iyana Ipaja Lagos
- Photo: Ikorodu Lagos Monarch’s Son Arrested For Robbery, Oladimeji Orisan & 3 Armed Robbers In Police Custody
- Amassoma Female Cultists Attack Student, Lecturer’s Daughter In Niger Delta University For Refusing To Join Them
- Photos: President Jonathan’s Aide Attacked In Yenagoa Bayelsa By Gunmen In Police Uniform
- Thieves Who Stole Artefacts From Malokun Shrine In Ode Irele Ondo Are The ONLY Victims Of Angry gods Attack – Chief Oluomo Tells WHO
The Senior Special Adviser to the President on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe, has said that he stands by his words that the President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, is not an electable leader. Many critics of the All Progressives Congress candidate, including the Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, who, in the buildup to the March 28 presidential election,… [Read More…]
Chukwumerije: Senate to adjourn plenary today The Senate will adjourn plenary on Tuesday (today) in honour of the late Senator Uche Chukwumerije. The adjournment is in line with the tradition of the upper federal legislative chamber. Chukwumerije, a three-term senator, was the Chairman, Senate Committee on Education, in the current 7th senate, until his death on Sunday at a Turkish Hospital 2-Comments-
Governor-Aliyu-Wamakko-of-Sokoto-State-has-assured-Nigerians-that-the-President-elect,-Muhammadu-Buhari,-will-not-fail-the-nation,-the-News-Agency-of-Nigeria-reports.-“The-APC-led-Federal-Government-under-Buhari-will-strive-to-meet-the-expectations-and-yearnings-of-Nigerians,-irrespective-of-religious,-ethnic-or-cultural-differences,-he-said.-Wamakko-spoke-on-Monday-in… [Read-More…]-Chukwumerije:-Jonathan,-Patience,-Orji,-others-mourn">April 21, 2015 : Agency Report
Governor Aliyu Wamakko of Sokoto State has assured Nigerians that the President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, will not fail the nation, the News Agency of Nigeria reports. “The APC-led Federal Government under Buhari will strive to meet the expectations and yearnings of Nigerians, irrespective of religious, ethnic or cultural differences, he said. Wamakko spoke on Monday in… [Read More…]
Chukwumerije: Jonathan, Patience, Orji, others mourn President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Patience, on Monday extended condolences to the Chukwumerije family as well as the government and people of Abia State on the death of Senator Uche Chukwumerije. The condolence messages were contained in separate statements issued in Abuja. The President, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and 2-Comments-
The-number-of-women-who-will-be-at-the-8th-House-of-Representatives-has-shrunk-to-14-from-the-27-in-the-outgoing-7th-lower-chamber.-The-names-of-winners-of-the-March-28-National-Assembly-poll-just-released-by-the-Independent-National-Electoral-Commission-indicated-that-only-14-females-won-their-election-into-the… [Read-More…]-15-killed-in-fresh-Taraba-crisis">April 21, 2015 : John Ameh
The number of women who will be at the 8th House of Representatives has shrunk to 14 from the 27 in the outgoing 7th lower chamber. The names of winners of the March 28 National Assembly poll just released by the Independent National Electoral Commission indicated that only 14 females won their election into the… [Read More…]
15 killed in fresh Taraba crisis Suspected Fulani mercenaries, in the early hours of Monday, attacked some villages in the Donga Local Government Area of Taraba State and killed 15 persons. Many, reports said, were still missing. Following the Monday attack there was massive movement of people from Donga Local Government, which is one of the areas in the state where 4-Comments-
The-President-elect,-Muhammadu-Buhari-and-the-President-of-Ivory-Coast,-Alassan-Quattara,-on-Monday-commended-out-going-President-Goodluck-Jonathan-for-being-statesmanly-by-conceding-defeat-in-the-March-28-presidential-election.-The-duo-also-pledged-to-work-together-to-enhance-greater-regional-integration-for-the-benefit-of-the-people-of-the-West-African-sub-region.-Quattara,… [Read-More…]-Actors-protest-against-piracy-in-Lagos">April 21, 2015 : John Alechenu
The President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari and the President of Ivory Coast, Alassan Quattara, on Monday commended out-going President Goodluck Jonathan for being statesmanly by conceding defeat in the March 28 presidential election. The duo also pledged to work together to enhance greater regional integration for the benefit of the people of the West African sub-region. Quattara,… [Read More…]
Actors protest against piracy in Lagos Prominent Nollywood actors on Monday marched on the streets of Lagos to protest increasing rate of piracy in the movie industry. The train, which consisted of actors and filmmakers, later stopped at the Ikeja office of the state Governor, Babatunde Fashola. The group said piracy had frustrated their efforts and impoverished professionals in the industry 1-Comment-
A-Lagos-State-High-Court-in-Ikeja-has-convicted-and-sentenced-a-court-registrar-in-the-probate-division-of-the-court,-Mrs.-Bukola-Adeosun,-to-a-three-year-jail-term-for-defrauding-various-court-users-and-diverting-governments-fund-to-her-private-use.-Adeosun,-alongside-another-official-of-the-probate,-Mrs.-Funmilayo-Kazeem,-had-been-charged… [Read-More…]-Military-ties-with-Chad,-othersll-be-sustained-–Buhari">April 21, 2015 : Ramon Oladimeji
A Lagos State High Court in Ikeja has convicted and sentenced a court registrar in the probate division of the court, Mrs. Bukola Adeosun, to a three-year jail term for defrauding various court users and diverting governments fund to her private use. Adeosun, alongside another official of the probate, Mrs. Funmilayo Kazeem, had been charged… [Read More…]
Military ties with Chad, othersll be sustained –Buhari The President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has promised that his government will not terminate the military collaboration Nigeria has with Cameroon, Niger and Chad to fight the Boko Haram insurgency. Buhari said this when Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State led a delegation from the state on a congratulatory visit to Buhari. A statement issued on Monday 4-Comments-
As-the-All-Progressives-Congress-puts-finishing-touches-to-an-acceptable-sharing-formula,-it-has-dismissed-as-speculative-reports-that-it-has-already-zoned-National-Assembly-positions.-The-National-Publicity-Secretary-of-the-party,-Alhaji-Lai-Mohammed,-urged-Nigerians-to-disregard-“the-wild-speculations”-making-the-rounds-concerning-the-appointment-of-ministers-and-the-zoning… [Read-More…]-AFBA-condemns-murder-of-NBA-chair">April 21, 2015 : John Alechenu
As the All Progressives Congress puts finishing touches to an acceptable sharing formula, it has dismissed as speculative reports that it has already zoned National Assembly positions. The National Publicity Secretary of the party, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, urged Nigerians to disregard “the wild speculations” making the rounds concerning the appointment of ministers and the zoning… [Read More…]
AFBA condemns murder of NBA chair The African Bar Association has condemned the alleged murder of the Ughelli branch chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr. Austin Ichege. AFBA in a statement by its President, Hannibal Uwaifo, on Monday described the death of the NBA chairman as a “harrowing experience.” While commiserating with the family of the late Ichege, the continental
- SAP Africa’s FLL SA team qualifies for 2015 World Class Challenge SAP Africa, the major sponsor of the First Lego League (FLL) in Africa, has announced that one of its teams, named ‘SAP I’m POSSIBLE’, has qualified to compete in the 2014/2015 First Lego League World Class challenge taking place in St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America this week. The team, comprising seven learners from ...
- Review: HTC One M9 Back in July 2014, IT News Africa reviewed the HTC One M8. The device scored rather high during the review process. Fast forward to 2015, and we have now set our sights the latest smartphone offering from HTC – the HTC One M9. Much like the HTC One M8,...
- Social media network Wangu launches in Zimbabwe According to a report by The Herald, Zimbabwe now has its own dedicated social media network. The report reveals that social media website “Wangu” functions similarly to popular social networks like Twitter, Myspace and Facebook. According to the...
- No more data loss coverups for SA businesses South Africa has a historical culture of non-disclosure and cover-ups when it comes to data loss and data breaches – but, the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act will force much greater transparency. The Act establishes eight data protection...
- Kenya: Samsung launches Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Samsung East Africa has revealed that the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones are available on the Kenyan market. Robert Ngeru, Samsung East Africa COO stated that the firm recorded 500 pre-orders for both the Samsung S6 and S6 Edge before the...
- Ghana: e-registrar portal now live According to ghana.gov.gh, Ghana has launched an e-registrar portal. The portal is aimed at streamlining business registrations in the country. According to the media release, the Portal will be integrated with the Ghana E-Payments Portal (GEPP) and the Ghana...
- IT News Africa: Top Tech Stories of the Week IT News Africa has some fantastic events planned over the next few weeks. The next Innovation Dinner, which will be held at the Panafric Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya on the 28th of May 2015 is set to address Security Convergence. Also, be sure not to miss the...
- South Africa: Eskom reveals Stage 4 load shedding According to a report by Fin24, Eskom has revealed stage 4 load shedding. The details were confirmed after Eskom revealed that the load shedding stage allocation was in the process of being altered. With Stage 4 load shedding on the cards, IT News Africa has...
- Namibia: MTN to sell 30 percent shareholding to break monopoly According to a report by namibian.com.na, MTN Namibia plans to sell a 30 percent shareholding to local shareholders. According to MTN Nigeria: “Interested investors are invited to submit a letter of intent to purchase shares of MTN Business Namibia, which...
- Gijima to voluntarily delist from the JSE According to a press statement, JSE-listed South African information and communication technology (ICT) company Gijima announced on the 17th of February its intention to voluntarily delist from the JSE following the implementation of the buy-out of the...
- Kenya: Safaricom suspends cross-network M-Pesa services Kenyan operator Safaricom has suspended the registration of new M-Pesa customers and the transfer of cash to rival mobile phone networks until the upgrade and transfer of its IT system from Germany to Kenya is completed on 19 April. According to...
- Standard Bank unveils multiple incubators for entrepreneurs Standard Bank launched two incubators on the 16 April 2015 with the aim to educate, create, empower and develop entrepreneurs. According to the company the new incubators are Standard Bank-owned brick-and-mortar facilities where entrepreneurs can test,...
- Business Connexion delivers strong Interim Results Business Connexion, Africa’s largest black-owned Information and Communication Technology (ICT) services provider, has released its interim financial results for the six months ended 28 February 2015. ICT consolidation is accelerating both locally and...
- Liquid Telecom expands FTTH in Zimbabwe Liquid Telecom has revealed the latest expansion of its FTTH network in Zimbabwe. Liquid Telecom has already laid fibre rings around Victoria Falls, which provide multiple routes of redundancy. It is now starting to lay fibre to homes and businesses in the...
- Kenya: Safaricom set to upgrade M-Pesa platform Kenyan operator Safaricom has revealed that it has started final preparations for the launch of the second generation of its M-PESA platform as it prepares to perform a full scale system upgrade aimed at improving efficiencies and speed over the next week....
- HDS recognised as one of the 2015 world’s most ethical companies Hitachi Data Systems Corporation (HDS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. has announced that the Ethisphere Institute has recognised it as one of the 2015 World’s Most Ethical Companies. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) has been named to the list of...
- FAAC sets up committee over NNPC’s unremitted $1.8bn The Federation Account Allocation Committee, FAAC, yesterday constituted a committee to look into why it had taken so long for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation,… ...
- Buhari to rebuild troubled North-East President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has said his administration would give priority to ending the Boko Haram insurgency, to bring stability in the North-East geopolitical zone. Buhari… ...
- CJN warns Buhari, new governors …says failure to respect constitution dangerous . Vows to descend on erring magistrates Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmoud Mohammed, yesterday, called on the President-… ...
- Impeachment: Tension grips Ekiti …students, workers stay at home; PDP sues for peace Pupils of public and private primary and secondary schools in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State capital, failed to… ...
- APC petitions INEC over Imo supplementary polls National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, John Odigie-Oyegun, has written to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to express the party’s dissatisfaction over… ...
- Govt investigating Ondo mysterious deaths –Minister The Federal Government yesterday said it is investigating the poisonous substance responsible for the death of 18 persons in Ode Irele, Ondo State last week.… ...
- Defection: PDP youths chides Araraume, Anumudu, others Peoples Democratic Party Youth Movement, PDPYM, has taken a swipe at the exodus of some prominent chieftains of the party to the All Progressives Congress,… ...
- PDP paying high prize for impunity —Senate leader Senate leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba, has said the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with its recent electoral loss was paying a very high prize for acts of… ...
- Lagos, 10 others benefit from N75bn World Bank agric funding World Bank has spent $380 million (N75, 240,000,000) in the last eight years to develop agriculture in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria. It was… ...
- Rivers faults NGO over poll assessment Rivers State government has faulted the ‘Pan-African Women Observer Group’, a non-governmental organisation, NGO, which said the just concluded elections in the state were free… ...
PDP paying price of impunity –Ndoma-Egba
The Senate Leader, Victor Ndoma-Egba, has said the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is paying the price for impunity, which caused its abysmal performance at the polls. ...Stop witch-hunting Kashamu, Ogun youths warn Obasanjo
Ogun Youth Alliance (OYA) has warned against some surreptitious moves to trample on the fundamental human rights of the Senator-elect for Ogun East, Prince Buruji Kashamu, urging the National Human Rights Commission ( NHRC) ...Wike, others receive Certificates of Return from INEC
The Governor-elect in Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, and the Deputy Governor-elect, Dr. Ipalibo Banigo, have been issued Certificates of Return by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Port Harcourt. ...Vote for Okorocha, group urges Imo people
National Coordinator of South-East Campaign for Change, Uche Iheakanwa, has urged people of Imo State to vote for Governor Rochas Okorocha for a second term, describing him as a committed Christian. ...No miracle can make APC win Akwa Ibom –PDP elders
Leaders in Eket Senatorial District of Akwa Ibom State have condemned the call for the cancellation of the April 11 governorship election by some aggrieved politicians, saying no miracle can make the All Progressives Congress (APC) win in the state. ...Buhari’ll not fail Nigerians –Wamakko
Goveror Aliyu Wamakko of Sokoto State has assured Nigerians that the President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, will not fail the nation. ...Count us out of Jonathan’s campaign funds –PDP
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee (NWC) has distanced itself from the controversy surrounding the handling of the PDP presidential campaign funds. ...Anambra: APGA accuses INEC of double standards
The All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in Anambra State has accused the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of deliberately diverting its victory in the State House of Assembly election at Aniocha 1 and 2 constituencies to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). ...APC success not path to one party state –Gov Ahmed
Kwara State Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed, has said contrary to fears in some quarters, the success of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in this year’s general elections cannot transform Nigeria into one-party state. ...Polls: Man treks 22 days to celebrate Buhari’s victory
There was wild celebration yesterday by some residents of Abuja following the arrival of Mallam Suleman Hasheem, the man who trekked from Lagos to the Federal Capital Territoey (FCT) in celebration of General Muhammadu Buhari’s victory in the March 28 presidential poll. ...Oil communities, SPDC differ over oil spill in Bayelsa
Communities in Ogbia Local Government Area in Bayelsa State are worried over the delay in cleaning up the oil spill at Kolo Creek by the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC). ...Anxiety as gunmen kidnap lawmaker-elect’s aide, lawyer in Abia
Kidnappers held sway in Aba, Abia State last weekend as they abducted an aide to the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) Aba North and Aba South House of Assembly member-elect, Osy Prestige, Chinedu Ikenga and an Aba-based lawyer identified as O. O. Anya. ...Judicial worker bags 3 years jail for fraud
A member of staff of the Lagos State Judiciary attached to the probate section of the state High Court, Ikeja, Mrs. Bukola Adeosun, has been jailed for three years for stealing government money. ...Ebonyi Assembly freezes LG accounts over alleged fraud
Ebonyi State House of Assembly yesterday froze the account of Local Government Areas and Development Centres of the state over alleged corruption and misappropriation of funds. ...No plan to impeach Ngilari, says Adamawa speaker
Speaker of the Adamawa State House of Assembly, Alhaji Umaru Fintiri, has said the lawmakers have no intention to impeach Governor James Ngilari. ...Woman, 50, delivers twins after 14 years of childlessness
A 50-year-old woman, Mrs. Roseline Akinsola, yesterday delivered a set of twins after 14 years of childlessness. ...ASUU demands re-opening of LASU, insists VC must proceed on leave
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) Lagos State University (LASU) chapter has demanded the immediate reopening of the institution for academic activities. ...We worked for peaceful elections – OPC
The leadership of Yoruba socio-cultural group, Odua Peoples’ Congress (OPC) in Oyo State has attributed the relative peace enjoyed during the last presidential and governorship elections particularly in the South West to its undercover efforts. ...Drag South Africa to African Commission over attacks, SERAP tells FG
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the Federal Government to take legal action against the South African government before the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights to seek effective remedies, including ...Impeachment threat stalls schools’ resumption in Ekiti
The alarm raised by Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, that the 19 All Progressives Congress (APC) lawmakers planned to invade the Assembly stalled the resumption of public and private institutions operating in the state yesterday. ...Nigeria missing on treaty list to end gas flare out by 2030
Four African countries, Angola, Cameroon, the Republic of Congo and Gabon were among nine leading global crude oil producers that joined chief executives of major oil ...Sterling Bank records N3.9bn profit
Sterling Bank Plc has recorded a 25 per cent increase in its profit after tax for the first quarter ended March 31, 2015, demonstrating its ability to sustain growth despite industry headwinds. ...Q1: Eight banks record N450.5bn earnings
Despite regulatory headwinds, eightl banks showed significant resilience in its unaudited financials for the first quarter of the year as they pooled gross earnings of N450.505 billion, as against N379 billion recorded in the corresponding period. ...BVN’ll boost retail credit, says NIBSS boss
The Bank Verification Number (BVN) initiative will help to boost retail credit in the banking industry, the Managing Director of the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS), Mr. Ade Shonubi, has said. ...‘Nigeria’s most resilient economy in Africa’
Despite facing criticisms and attacks for its policies over the past four years, the Federal Government, Thursday, said the transmission economic management apparatus to the incoming government next month would be smooth and seamless. ...China may cut oil imports from Nigeria over slow GDP growth
Baring any future change in its financial fortunes, Nigeria’s incoming administration may yet be confronted with more challenges delivering on its campaign promises from ...Our leaders should tackle Nigeria’s problems from root –Kolade Roberts, CEO, Apoi Investments
BY OMODELE ADIGUN For the nation to surmount its numerous challenges, its leaders should brainstorm,… ...ICT experts set agenda for incoming regime
BY OLABISI OLALEYE Stakeholders in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) sector have set agenda… ...World Bank pledges to support Nigeria, others tackle poverty
…Downgrades developing countries’ growth prospects to 4.5 per cent BY AMECHI OGBONNA Ahead the May… ...W/Africa central banks explore cyber crime mgt strategies
BY AMECHI OGBONNA Against the backdrop of rising wave of cyber crimes across the globe,… ...Behold ‘Pastor’ Terry G
Eccentric Afro hip hop act, Terry G, may have found a new calling as he… ...I’m passionate about women –Elisha Attai
BY CHRISTIAN AGADIBE Having discovered the challenges facing Africa women, Elisha Attai incorporated Africa Women… ...Smirnoff’s silent disco at Gidi Culture Festival
For the first time in Nigeria, Gidi Culture Festival experienced a ‘silent disco’, which was… ...Bijelly Couture bounces back
Guests will be treated to an evening of high fashion, entertainment and glamour today as… ...Pete Edochie is my ‘husband’–Rita, actress
By NKECHI CHIMA Actress Rita Edochie is a notable figure in the movie industry. Since… ...Tosyn Bucknor: I was born in a taxi
Tosyn Bucknor is one of Nigeria’s popular on-air personalities. The Top Radio 90.9 FM gal… ...BBC storms Tamara’s Unblissful set
It has been revealed that the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) paid a visit to actress,… ...I dream to win Grammy –John Agoha
John Agoha, an up-and-coming artiste who describes his blend of Afro-pop music as jazzy is… ...Aity Dennis unveils twin babies
At last, gospel singer, Aity Dennis, has unveiled her new bundles of joy on facebook.… ...I’d have died with Clem Onyeka–Nzube Onyia, actress
Actress, Nzube Onyia, is one hell of a lucky gal! She was riding with late… ...